Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2019, 02:10:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 1060935 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13650 on: November 07, 2019, 07:44:47 PM

I guess that's part of what sucks about it--those guys have some money hats now, they could have hired some people who knew what the fuck they were doing. But they haven't.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13651 on: November 07, 2019, 07:49:31 PM

I've owned Conan Exiles for a long time but never actually got around to playing it.  Was the f13 server abandoned because everyone just had enough and moved on, or was it, like, actively bad?

Just another assenting voice to the hive mind -- pretty fun for a while, but lacks depth. That said, if you like survival/building/crafting games you should get some dozens of hours out of it. More fun with other players also building on your server of course. I've actually been seriously thinking of getting some of my minecrafty friends to trying it as a group.

Also never played it full on catass PVP too, so no real opinion of that, except that I no longer care much for full on catass PVP.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #13652 on: November 07, 2019, 08:12:22 PM

It's certainly worth a play through.  I enjoyed it a ton when we were playing, and we all played it pretty heavily for awhile.  Even if you are just doing it single player, there is a lot of content for you to do.  Server only stopped because we had all completed most the content, and finished building out elaborate/insane monuments to ourselves.  Still, that was several months of near constant playing.  Put more hours into that than anything since the old MMO days.

Just also keep in mind you can customize things heavily, and I'd look into doing that to meet your play style.  For instance, we played with max XP gain on our server, so not doing so might feel far more grindy than I dealt with.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you and other troops you control.

Reply #13653 on: November 07, 2019, 10:42:49 PM

I put over 500 hours into Conan Exiles on a server I ran with some RL friends. I modded it based on what we wanted, there wasn't any PVP, I wrote some custom quests for it and added levels and items. It was great fun until it wasn't. I burned out on it hard. I've always kind of wanted to go back and play on a popular PVP server but other things took up my interest. It didn't help that the only new official content added while we played was the pets update which really wasn't that great. The paid cosmetic DLC was kind of cool but every single one of them was just that... cosmetic.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13654 on: November 08, 2019, 01:22:34 AM

Waiting patiently on the review embargo for Death Stranding to be lifted Only if it's complete garbage, will I not be getting it. Kojima weird is the best weird.
Oh man, this game.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13655 on: November 08, 2019, 07:14:49 AM

Playing it right now. It was made FOR me. It's between Euro Truck Simulator and a mountain hiking game and those are two of my favourite things. All sewn on a movie I would totally pay to watch. So far, I am loving it as much as I hoped if not more.

Could fall apart after hours and hours of hiking on the same mountains, sure. But the first three hours alone were enough to justify the entrance ticket for me.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:16:31 AM by Falconeer »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13656 on: November 08, 2019, 10:29:44 AM

I have to go do outside things this weekend but I suppose I'll pick up it next week.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13657 on: November 08, 2019, 12:00:02 PM

I put over 500 hours into Conan Exiles on a server I ran with some RL friends. I modded it based on what we wanted, there wasn't any PVP, I wrote some custom quests for it and added levels and items. It was great fun until it wasn't. I burned out on it hard. I've always kind of wanted to go back and play on a popular PVP server but other things took up my interest. It didn't help that the only new official content added while we played was the pets update which really wasn't that great. The paid cosmetic DLC was kind of cool but every single one of them was just that... cosmetic.

That's true for me of all these types of games. Obsessively binge them until you bust and put them away for a couple of years and then binge again.

The bust usually comes right after some huge construction project that takes weeks of real time and you do it, admire it from all angles, then log off until next year...
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13658 on: November 08, 2019, 01:20:46 PM

Full catass pvp on Conan (as on Ark) is only worth doing if you're playing with a sizeable group of friends or friendlies. I tried it for a few weeks just to see if a wily n00b can survive long enough to build some kind of durable structure. There are places in the map where it takes people a long time to find you and destroy everything but not that long--the map would have to be four or five times as big with a firm cap on accounts to have the space to build a real hideout and build up some kind of lone-wolf strength.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #13659 on: November 08, 2019, 04:37:21 PM

A while ago I grabbed Titanfall 2 (on Xbox (not for Windows)) after watching someone else play it - this is an awesome game. I just finished the campaign and it was really well done. The switching from in-mech to out-of-mech play is very seamless and enjoyable.  (First 15mins of campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG-ALPfs0Dg | wall running etc shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUBD_eLk8TI) The multiplayer modes are pretty fun too, if you like simplified mech combat (coop and pvp options).

I've also been playing Apex with my brothers recently. It took me a few gaming sessions for me to realize that Titanfall and Apex are in the same universe. You'll see a lot of crossover guns, weapons, and character types. Now if only they would add wall running and jump packs (and maybe even mechs) to Apex, that would be some cool shit.

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13660 on: November 10, 2019, 01:48:22 PM

Playing it right now. It was made FOR me. It's between Euro Truck Simulator and a mountain hiking game and those are two of my favourite things. All sewn on a movie I would totally pay to watch. So far, I am loving it as much as I hoped if not more.

Could fall apart after hours and hours of hiking on the same mountains, sure. But the first three hours alone were enough to justify the entrance ticket for me.
Needs more of the Euro Truck/hiking stuff. The open world and basic navigation gameplay is fun.

The music is atrocious and unmutable. The story is tropey and childish and doesn't hold up to the cinematic quality of the world. Some cool concepts here and there, but framed in a poor amateurish attempt at moviemaking. I've already lost track of the amount of times in the first couple hours that I've called out the next trope or just laughed at the crudity of the imagery/writing.

Also, though I enjoy the basic gameplay, the whole BT creature stuff inserting itself seems to be more of an interruption of the enjoyment, rather than a gear shift (like exploration vs combat in Horizon:ZD).

I really want to like this more, it's well done from a few different angles. I knew to expect a lot of "cutscenes", but I didn't realize it was going to be more like cutscenes of gameplay every now and again in between the looooong stretches of student movies. Also, what's with everything being a giant fucking bummer?

Also also, if we're going to be talking about games being pretentious....

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13661 on: November 10, 2019, 03:05:30 PM

Needs more of the Euro Truck/hiking stuff. The open world and basic navigation gameplay is fun.

The music is atrocious and unmutable.
I disagree about some of the music. While it's not stuff I would listen to on its own I love how they incorporated certain songs (esp. the Low Roar and Silent Poets ones) while you are exploring new areas. Crossing over a ridge line and looking down into a valley for the first time (at least as you the player) and having a melancholy song kick in as you walk down the mountain is quite the experience. The EDM tracks, however, aren't my thing, and it is odd that there's no control over the different audio tracks like in most games (there's only a master volume setting).

Also, though I enjoy the basic gameplay, the whole BT creature stuff inserting itself seems to be more of an interruption of the enjoyment, rather than a gear shift (like exploration vs combat in Horizon:ZD).
Think of the regular BTs are just another traversal obstacle you need to overcome or bypass like rivers and cliffs and MULEs. Also as you progress through the story you get more tools for dealing with these obstacles.

Also also, if we're going to be talking about games being pretentious....
It's a Kojima game -- that's a given.

Edit: Poets
« Last Edit: Today at 02:34:36 AM by Trippy »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13662 on: November 10, 2019, 09:08:39 PM

The music is perfect. And even when it isn't, exactly like Trippy said it's wonderfully placed to underline some of the best part of the long journey to the next outpost.

I really don't get the negativity towards the cinematographic aspects. It's perfectly fine for me for a video game, and in some parts it would be totally OK in an actual sci-fi movie. For example, I really liked the opening sequence and the BIG one right after, when you go dispose of the corpse. What's the fuck not to like there? It's an amazing scene.
Alas, it's not Kubrick though and it shows in the mother scene. Remind me of what games don't feel like childish movies again when you think about it, between tropes, poor voice acting, and plot holes? All I can come up with on the spot (there are more, but not THAT many) are The Last of Us and Spec Ops: The Line and even those ones are full of cheese.

I foresee a new "Good writing/Bad writing" thread here, this time about cinema. I don't think Kojima can write good lines, and if he directed an actual movie it would probably be terrible. But I think he can write cool settings for weird nerd stories with over the top Japanese characters all chopped up in an American blender and splash them all over a video game. That's great entertainment for me.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #13663 on: November 11, 2019, 09:41:02 PM

Iím traveling so I grabbed Luigis Mansion 3 before I left. Itís my favorite Switch game this year. Pretty standard fare for the series, lots of puzzling and sweeping. I wish it were about 25% more difficult, but itís a bunch of fun.

I legitimately believe I will try to 100% it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13664 on: November 12, 2019, 12:21:27 AM

Ratropolis is slay the spire except hard
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13665 on: November 12, 2019, 07:25:17 AM

After fiddling around to get my Dual Shock 4 working on my PC to play Persona 5, I remembered I bought Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night a while ago and didn't play it because of the same issue. So once I got the controller working I figured I would fire it up for a few minutes, and now I'm hooked. It's fantastic, everything I've wanted from a modern Metroidvania.

Check out my podcast: ADD&D, Attention Deficit Dungeons & Dragons!
"I think it's time for a dose of F13 RED PILL MOTHER FUCKERS" ~cosapi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13666 on: November 12, 2019, 07:56:55 AM

Bloodstained, in which I just got the Bad ending.
Death Stranding, in which I have not had to hide under a box.
Alien Isolation, in which I have hidden inside many boxes.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13667 on: November 12, 2019, 11:49:52 AM

Death Stranding pro tips:

Don't stay in Chapter 2 too long. Heard this one in passing and really happy. Fragile asks you to wrap things up before jumping on the boat, she just means current orders/deliveries. Since the first thing I got off the boat was a fast travel option...

Hang on to that bike. The first bike you get (not the prologue bike) is repairable but not recoverable. I lost mine in a stream and had a wicked long trek to make by foot. It's handy, but be careful with it near water so you have it for the early chapters.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13668 on: November 12, 2019, 02:31:05 PM

Could this game be any more Euro Death Truck Stranding Simulator? Also, you and other players built that highway.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13669 on: November 12, 2019, 03:04:53 PM

I spent most of yesterday building bridges and support structures in the newbie area, and then optimizing a few climbing routes. Only because I was pushing ahead to unlock a few QoL things that I didn't stop playing the story entirely to focus on it.

On the other hand, I feel kinda bad for latecomers who will miss the worldbuilding parts and see the virgin game world.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13670 on: November 12, 2019, 04:12:07 PM

You don't see player-made structures in unconnected regions. You do potentially get some benefit from player-made structures when heading towards a new region as the border is usually a ways out from the place you set out from but eventually you will need to cross "virgin" territory on your own until you make the next connection.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13671 on: November 12, 2019, 04:25:58 PM

I am under the impression that the online engine will never put players into instances that are completely empty or entirely built, it feels instead like it knows how to drop players into instances that somehow reflect their playtime or progression. These instances are fluid and almost invisible, but especially thanks to that it feels like (the engine) can always move structures, not just players, between instances in order to keep a balance between what's in it and the progression level of players in it.

Lots of words to say that, on top of what Trippy said, I don't think new players will be placed into fully built instances in a few months. It will still try and pair groups of players based on their levels.

EDIT: tried to make a bit more sense.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:39:37 PM by Falconeer »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13672 on: November 13, 2019, 08:06:40 AM

Eh, so Dark Death Souls Stranding Craft? What?

Nevermind, don't tell me.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13673 on: November 14, 2019, 08:59:01 AM

Got to the second region, noticed a road building doohickey. There were some extra materials around, so I put 200 metal into it...and got a ton of likes. So I went back and upgraded the road fully, which paved it down to where MULE territory started. I ran back and grabbed a couple PCCs and set up a watchtower, mailbox, and generator. I set the watchtower with a great view of the MULE region and had the generator warn porters audibly about the MULEs. Finally I put up sign support, with speed signs along the road and a MULE warning sign at the end.

I went from level 58 to level 165 when I turned in my next delivery, from the thousands of likes that deluged me.

And it was actually enjoyable, I started to work on the second road section using supplies I was raiding from the MULEs. Difficult to pull away and go to bed, which is always a good sign with a game. I did two actual plot missions (to the engineer and back to the city) in three hours of playing.

tl;dr I got twice as much experience from building one section of road than playing the first two chapters of the game

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13674 on: November 14, 2019, 10:30:49 AM

You nailed it. I am having a serious case of "just another turn(delivery)" syndrome from this game. Really hard to go to bed, as there is always something cool to do or see. Whether it's exploration (so much to see), story, building, or just side-questing for actually very good rewards, the game is immense, satisfying and compelling. And it helps that it is always adding gameplay elements. I am 40 hours in and I am still getting new tools that expand on the things that I can do and how I can do them.

Also, I am not ready to write about it coherently, but the building and cooperative part of the game is done so well. The zones where you are grow at a perfect pace, not too fast that it feels like you are cheating, not too slow that it feels it's all on your shoulders. Quests get easier due to the growing infrastructure, and there's a huge sense of achievement when you finish building a massive freeway that cuts into the entire zone you were struggling to advance through from north to south.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #13675 on: November 14, 2019, 11:14:27 AM

Damn, you're making me think about getting that game.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13676 on: November 14, 2019, 01:28:04 PM

It's great. It also does a great job in making you feel like what you are doing helps other players as you keep getting these tiny reminders that someone else used your buildings or ropes, bridges, vehicles and whatnot. Today I spent three hours rebuilding the largest freeway all by myself and that allowed me (and possibly hundreds of other players) to do super huge deliveries by truck completely unhindered from the northernmost point of the map to the southernmost, over terrain that was very dungerous and hard to cross only a couple of days ago and could only be traversed on foot. In many ways, in this game you don't slay monsters, you slay hazardous terrain and conquer it until you can do your job like a pro.

It also has a huge Elite Dangerous feel, except with way more polish, way more story, way more sense, way more persistency, way more satisfaction.

EDIT: I just want to add that this is the easiest game Kojima ever made. It toally embraces its trucking simulation roots and even though it is supposed to have many different chalenges, on "normal" difficulty I have never died, never even gotten close to die, and never got stuck or had to grind a single thing. There are so many tools and so many ways to approach the next quest that you can always enjoy it at whatever pace you like and with whatever way/path/approach you like. It is so strange, but as a sandbox it succeeds in really giving you a world and let you play with it how you want. There are no timers (except for rare occasion, and they are very generous), and the multiplayer help is omnipresent. It still doesn't feel "too" easy because every quest is satisfying no matter how you complete it, but it is really a "feel good" game despite the dark theme. You don't feel like a super hero, after all you are just a delivery guy, but you feel good at your job and that's such a strange thing to say about a videogame.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 08:19:58 PM by Falconeer »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13677 on: November 15, 2019, 08:59:07 AM

I mean, a delivery guy who can ambush and assassinate a bunch of terrorists and steal their gear in their own truck, then fight off interdimensional beings.

But yeah. It's a crazy juxtaposition but it works.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13678 on: November 15, 2019, 09:08:21 AM

Finished Bloodstained last night and loved every minute; best Metroidvania I've played since SotN. I'm going to hold off on NG+ for now, waiting for some of the DLC to come out.

Despite how bad this one sounds, I'm picking up the new Pokemon since my son is incredibly hyped for it. He's young enough that stuff like Dexit doesn't bother him, and I don't want to crush his spirits. So I guess that's next up.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13679 on: November 15, 2019, 02:42:58 PM

Despite how bad this one sounds, I'm picking up the new Pokemon since my son is incredibly hyped for it. He's young enough that stuff like Dexit doesn't bother him, and I don't want to crush his spirits. So I guess that's next up.
The game itself sounds fine. It has lots of QoL improvements and he'll likely enjoy it. People are bitching and moaning, however, because Pokemon is the richest media franchise in the world but Nintendo continues to refuse to spend enough development money on them to make really great games like they do with some of their other franchises.

Edit: are
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:51:10 PM by Trippy »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13680 on: November 15, 2019, 02:49:53 PM

I mean, a delivery guy who can ambush and assassinate knock out a bunch of terrorists and steal their gear in their own truck, then fight off interdimensional beings.
FTFY.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13681 on: November 15, 2019, 02:55:11 PM

The game itself sounds fine. It has lots of QoL improvements and he'll likely enjoy it. People are bitching and moaning, however, because Pokemon is the richest media franchise in the world but Nintendo continues to refuse to spend enough development money on them to make really great games like they do with some of their other franchises.

Edit: are

Oh I'm certain he'll like it, I'm just unsure how much I'll enjoy it. Hopefully the older Pokemon will be modded in later by third parties, if not patched in directly by Ninty.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13682 on: November 15, 2019, 07:10:48 PM

I mean, a delivery guy who can ambush and assassinate knock out a bunch of terrorists and steal their gear in their own truck, then fight off interdimensional beings.
FTFY.

That's cool, and I suspected it and used only rubber bullets for that reason. To be fair, they warn you about it a few times, and it makes perfect sense. I was wondering though if it's something worth going for in a second playthrough. Does it lead to a game over, or anything worth seeing story wise?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13683 on: November 16, 2019, 06:15:26 PM

I'm taking it slow in DS as usual, so I don't have a nice pimp truck like Falc there. I've been hanging out in chapter 3 taking out MULEs and building roads and alternate foot paths.

I was waiting to take on the bigger MULE camp for a truck, until I got some more roads in, but they tried to ambush me when I was moving a bridge (some dummy dropped a bridge on the /inside/ of the MULE detection perimeter). So I made my best usage of the most raggedy ass rusty truck that was two ticks from destruction. Just bent metal and rust, throwing sparks. I knew it was two ticks because it lost another and was smoking and creaking...and I still got another half hour out of it. When I finally tool on the camp to steal the other truck, it was weird having a shiny new truck with things like lights and paint.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13684 on: November 16, 2019, 07:20:14 PM

All I am gonna say is that this game is bewitching. I thought I finished it tonight but I was wrong. Which made me happy. I am 60+ hours in and I wish it never ended. Also, as you pointed out, the care they put into making metal look real and always perfectly show at a glance the durability level is delightful.

Sky, care to tell me your PSN name? I wouldn't be surprised if each other's stuff popped up in our games more often if we were friends, and that would be cool. I'd love to find your ladder instead of c00lD33kZ8812 from time to time. Mine is Falconeer97.

Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: