Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:02:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172849 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13300 on: May 19, 2019, 12:01:26 PM

I am still playing Trails of Cold Steel on my own time, but when I am with my (online) friends we are spending a lot of time with Mordhau, the new medieval melee 32v32 game. It's very well done, it looks pretty great and while it takes a lot of adjusting to everything, it's clearly the best game of its kind ever made. While it is incredibly frustrating to die over and over to people who have practiced the art of parry and slicing you up over and over while you are still simply swinging your zweihander like a buffoon, there's something viscerally exhilarating in smashing someone's head with a maul or chopping their arm off with a sickle. There's a lot of customization available and all sorts of weaponsyou can think of. You can create all the characters you wnt with different builds, including a "peasant" perk which gives you access to unique peasant weapons like pitchfork and sickle. Or you could just run around playing the bard. Not sure what they do other than running everywhere playing the lute and enraging people, but they are an option.

Glorious.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13301 on: May 20, 2019, 08:54:27 AM

Back playing 7 Days to Die. I've traditionally played every Alpha release (after a couple patches ofc), but Alpha 17 is getting so close to release feature-set that I was going to wait. Figured I'd mess around a bit and I'm sucked right back into it. So many great improvements (with the usual design backpedals, but it happens). Overall a really strong alpha phase, each release has been worth revisiting, which is pretty amazing (especially early on when it was just a couple guys on the team). The sheer amount of new POIs since they brought more folks onto the team...

Such a great combination of relaxed and hectic gameplay. I think they've struck a great balance of exploration, stealth, shooter and builder. It does show it's roots as a very small team indie in some physics jank, but for the most part it's far better than every other game in the genre that I've played (leaving aside Subnautica and The Long Dark because they're more theme parky/guided story).

My only complaints right now are that progression seems tuned for servers, encouraging specialization which hampers the single player experience after a while. I've worked around it by giving myself a few levels once it plateau'd...but the way the game calculates the game stage (ie: which spawn table to pull mobs from), it meant an immediate boost to mob strength. So not perfect, but it's been working ok (fights being tough isn't necessarily a bad thing here). The other is that acid is the current scarce ingredient (there always seems to be one bad bottleneck in each Alpha), but that's a simple xml tweak to bump up spawn chance a bit, doesn't break anything at all.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13302 on: May 20, 2019, 10:31:55 AM

Did they dial back some of the pressure we were complaining about in the 7 Days to Die thread? That really made the beginning game unfun to me, and even though I saw there were mods to address it I didn't bother.

And speaking of mods, I imagine there will be some soon to beef up the solo game.

Hey, maybe once out of Alpha we can get an f13 server up for a few months..

Ohhhhh, I see.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13303 on: May 20, 2019, 11:50:11 AM

What do you mean by 'pressure'? Speaking of early game, I did turn off weathersurvival. I tried sticking it out in Alpha 16 and got so annoyed with the 'take jacket off, put jacket on' dance, I gave up. It's a good idea in theory that is just a constant nuisance with no fun attached in practice.

I'm not even going to think about mods until well after release. Many probably do stuff that I do in xml, but I can do those in xml, soo....

I just nudged up drop rate for acid slightly and doubled the drop amount if it gets rolled on the mob loot table. The exposed xml for so much of the game's components really helps me love it. The granularity of some of it is really nice and has come a looong way.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13304 on: May 20, 2019, 12:46:45 PM

By "pressure" I just meant pace of the game. Number of mobs and the fact that mobs could now quickly tear down any of the basic structures. Seemed to be counter to the section of the player population that liked to take a more paced approach to building secure places. Or even having secure places at all.

Of course, all the above is fixable with mods and, as you say, just editing the configs yourself, so it's not a show-stopper complaint.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13305 on: May 21, 2019, 07:12:37 AM

Ah, I see. I think I set blood moons to 30 days, so I haven't noticed it yet.

As much as I love the game, you can see the internal dev struggle to define a playstyle. It seems like there is a split between tower defense and pure scavv, but I think if it went either way I'd like it less. So maybe that's what makes it work?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13306 on: May 21, 2019, 10:04:03 AM

Playing Super Mega Baseball 2 on the PS4 with my son. He's still super into baseball after his Little League season finished, so he remember that I bought this for him almost a year ago.  awesome, for real

Solid game. Really good baseball action with the added bonus of being a bit silly. Added bonus is that my son gets to learn one of the golden rules of video games: sports game AI is serious bullshit.

Finishing up getting to lvl 85 in the PoE flashback league to get the most shots at the MTX. HoA is a strong build, but not sure I'll ever do it again. You seem to plateau and it's somewhat hard to increase your DPS through gear without breaking the bank. Of course, that agony crawler doesn't need a ton of help.

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #13307 on: May 21, 2019, 10:48:55 AM

Playing Super Mega Baseball 2 on the PS4 with my son. He's still super into baseball after his Little League season finished, so he remember that I bought this for him almost a year ago.  awesome, for real

Solid game. Really good baseball action with the added bonus of being a bit silly. Added bonus is that my son gets to learn one of the golden rules of video games: sports game AI is serious bullshit.

Finishing up getting to lvl 85 in the PoE flashback league to get the most shots at the MTX. HoA is a strong build, but not sure I'll ever do it again. You seem to plateau and it's somewhat hard to increase your DPS through gear without breaking the bank. Of course, that agony crawler doesn't need a ton of help.

Where do you live that LL is already done for the year? I know it has been 30+ years, but my teams always started up around this time and played throughout the summer (in Ohio in the 80s at least)

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #13308 on: May 21, 2019, 10:52:30 AM

By "pressure" I just meant pace of the game. Number of mobs and the fact that mobs could now quickly tear down any of the basic structures. Seemed to be counter to the section of the player population that liked to take a more paced approach to building secure places. Or even having secure places at all.

Of course, all the above is fixable with mods and, as you say, just editing the configs yourself, so it's not a show-stopper complaint.

It was toned down slightly in 17.2, but mobs still tear through the best stuff, and path in crazy ways. Base building was just unfun still. Moving into a second/third story of a POI still worked for BM nights.
Rasix

Reply #13309 on: May 21, 2019, 11:04:15 AM

Where do you live that LL is already done for the year? I know it has been 30+ years, but my teams always started up around this time and played throughout the summer (in Ohio in the 80s at least)

Arizona. Outdoor baseball in summer is suicide. Tournaments are done this week for AAA and Majors. All Stars starts up in June, which thankfully we can't even try out for due to using a boundary waver. His home league is garbage and can barely field teams, so we're in another league (which we honestly live closer to anyhow).

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13310 on: May 21, 2019, 01:08:35 PM

It was toned down slightly in 17.2, but mobs still tear through the best stuff, and path in crazy ways. Base building was just unfun still. Moving into a second/third story of a POI still worked for BM nights.
Interesting, I wonder if it's a per-mob setting or global. Per-mob would be a minor chore to set up but really nice, though I guess you could get the same thing from global + modifier. Actually, I think in my quick run-through of the mob xml to refresh my memory, I saw a lot more usage of inherited properties, so maybe a little of both?

Anyway, I'm still in my ghetto starter base on the 2nd floor of a POI. I might pull back to 14 day blood moons, 30 days is a long time to set up for the first one!

The main thing I've noticed with the pathing is that they've clearly added a low tolerance teleport. I've had a lot of mobs face a pathing block and then get ported to my lap. I can imagine that would be horrid in a later stage blood moon, having mobs skip over defense layers.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #13311 on: May 21, 2019, 01:40:01 PM

Just played a bit of 17.3, horde chewed through the prison wall in minutes, while some stacked OVER the wall into the side court.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13312 on: May 22, 2019, 04:33:49 PM

This sounds terrible. I wondered about 7 Days recently but I'm not likely to return.

Instead, I have Octavia and Chroma Prime in Warframe now. So, naturally I'm playing Path of Exile on PS4.

Gently working on Stellaris, just getting started but so far I'm picking up what they are laying down.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13313 on: May 22, 2019, 06:52:47 PM

Yeah, it sounds like somebody on the dev team actually liked World War Z the movie...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13314 on: May 23, 2019, 06:42:27 AM

While I have always been very much in the 'slowly build up a safe base' camp, I've been having a lot of fun playing with a light base and forward stations as a scavv. That's why I play every Alpha release. It's like playing a game I enjoy in different modes as they tweak things.

That said, the POI clearing is a LOT more enjoyable. Not only are there a ton of new POIs, but the skill system tweaks have made them more fun to clear. I can see three main 'action' builds in general: stealth, tank, and commando. I've always been a stealthy player, but I'm mostly going commando (easy now). Pumped up my agility, club and smg.

So it's different, but not necessarily bad unless you're stuck on playing the one way you've always played.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13315 on: May 23, 2019, 09:51:26 AM

Still playing Mordhau with friends, temporarily paused Apex Legends (I clocked in 360 hours so far and I am still absolutely terrible), still playing Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel (80 hours in, hopefully approaching the end), and now finally dedicating some time to Far Cry 5 too, which is awesome.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13316 on: May 23, 2019, 10:12:31 AM

While I have always been very much in the 'slowly build up a safe base' camp, I've been having a lot of fun playing with a light base and forward stations as a scavv. That's why I play every Alpha release. It's like playing a game I enjoy in different modes as they tweak things.

That said, the POI clearing is a LOT more enjoyable. Not only are there a ton of new POIs, but the skill system tweaks have made them more fun to clear. I can see three main 'action' builds in general: stealth, tank, and commando. I've always been a stealthy player, but I'm mostly going commando (easy now). Pumped up my agility, club and smg.

So it's different, but not necessarily bad unless you're stuck on playing the one way you've always played.

I'll try it more run and gun next time I play.

I think last time I tried it it was more "be pecked to death by undead vultures while I stagger around the desert flailing wildly around my head with a stick."

swamp poop
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13317 on: May 23, 2019, 10:48:17 AM

Mostly playing City of Heroes Homecoming on Everlasting; I like the villain stories more, but finding groups is much easier on the hero side. I'm using the double XP/half influence buff, just trying to get a toon to max level so I can farm money easily for alts.

Also working on FFXIV; got the SAM to 58 and bought the MSQ skip through HW. I've got all the crafting and gathering classes over 20 as well; trying to level them all together.

On the Switch, I'm playing FFXII: Zodiac Age. I don't like the frequent forced party changes, but I'm still early.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13318 on: May 23, 2019, 11:14:00 AM

I think last time I tried it it was more "be pecked to death by undead vultures while I stagger around the desert flailing wildly around my head with a stick."

swamp poop
Yar, I get that. I used to turn vultures off entirely, but right now I've nerfed their hp down to 10. So they can still swarm and do damage, but it's manageable because they go down quick. I see it as a QoL/rounding off corners kinda tweak.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13319 on: May 23, 2019, 05:59:11 PM

new job doesn't give me much time to play games anymore but still playing Autochess. Valve just announced they'll be making an official valve version.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13320 on: May 24, 2019, 05:45:53 AM

Going to try Surviving Mars.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13321 on: May 24, 2019, 07:36:41 AM

Going to try Surviving Mars.

I just started it yesterday, and my advice is to go in with lowered expectations. It's not made by Paradox, but just produced by them.

It's fun enough, but not even close to a hardcore sim. No mention so far of ways to mitigate the naturally high radiation of the Martian surface, and travel time between planets is ludicrously compressed.

It's pretty much just a hurried cash grab taking advantage of the interest in Mars colonization following Elon Musk's promotion of the idea.

You can even play as "SpaceY."
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #13322 on: May 24, 2019, 11:24:29 AM

Was going to try it, until I noticed that it uses the same model as City Skylines: cheap base game, $200 worth of add-ons.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13323 on: May 24, 2019, 02:55:21 PM

That's the Paradox model.  why so serious?

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13324 on: May 24, 2019, 04:51:44 PM

What HaemishM said.

And I know my review was a bit harsh, but the base gameplay is reasonably fun even with no expansions.

Not sure if $30.00 fun, but fun (base game $20.00 -- I paid $30.00 for the extras, of course).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13325 on: May 28, 2019, 09:35:20 AM

I was reading the boot log for 7D last night, and I've cut AI block dmg by 75% (from 100 to 25). Seeing that, I think I'll bump it up to 50, which should feel about right. Seems like they're a little too slow getting through now at 25.

I also boosted xp rate to 300%, which feels pretty good. Depends on playstyle, clearing POIs can generate a lot of xp quickly, on the other hand you need a shitload to be able to do much competently.

I should probably keep track of the files I tweak and make them available for download (esp the entities file, that one takes a while). Several of the settings are in the options menu, though.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13326 on: May 29, 2019, 12:39:41 AM

Does that game still look and run like unmitigated ass?  I really did like it back in the olden days when it was in alphas 5, 6 or 7.  Might have to fire it up and see what things look like.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13327 on: May 29, 2019, 12:43:55 AM

I am still working on Trails of Sky Second Chapter, which is not reprehensible garbage as someone else pointed out.  It is JRPG comfort food.  I hit a point around 40 to 45 hours where I reach a certain facility and thought "finally, here is the end sequence".  Nope.  Was more like the middle.  Very long games, in this series.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13328 on: May 29, 2019, 01:14:48 AM

Very long games with sooooo many words. I can't see why that's not for everybody. Still better dialogues than Game of Thrones Season 8.

Rasix

Reply #13329 on: May 29, 2019, 07:22:18 PM

Void Bastards is excellent.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13330 on: May 30, 2019, 06:35:10 AM

I watched a bit of a livestream on Steam...yeah, that looks pretty nifty. Not sure I want to pay $30 when I'm elbows-deep in a couple other games, but they did shoot me a 20% coupon for owning System Shock 2...
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13331 on: May 30, 2019, 09:06:21 AM

20% coupon for owning System Shock 2...

Well that got my interest up. Not the discount part but the assumption that if you like one you'll like the other.

I'm now about forty hours into this Surviving Mars game which I didn't care for much in the beginning. Something about these sim games just trigger that "I must balance my food and energy budget I don't care if it's three in the morning" quality about myself.
Rasix

Reply #13332 on: May 30, 2019, 11:44:05 AM

Yah, I used the coupon so it was $22.50. This feels like a $15-$20 title.

It's a little System Shock, FTL, Dead Cells, with a comic book styling. The shooting isn't very involved. The exploration is pretty samey.  But it's compelling in that "one more turn" way. What's in the next ship? How should I approach it? Should I bring a stapler shotgun or just the pistol? Should I risk my life for some moldy sandwiches? It's more tactical than twitch.

Item progress is saved. Materials are not. Characters are random with perks. Right now I have a little person that can't been seen through windows.

It's neat, but I'm not sure it'll click for everyone. I'd recommend listening to the recent Giant Bombcast segment where they talk about it.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 09:25:21 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13333 on: June 01, 2019, 09:25:33 AM

It's a nice palette cleanser for RDR2's slow pace and minutiae.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #13334 on: June 02, 2019, 02:18:59 AM

Just got off of a binge on a few PS4 games I borrowed from my brother.  Lent him Red Dead 2, snagged Horizon: Zero Dawn and God of War and a few Assassin's creed games in return.   Horizon was quite fun and had a pretty entertaining story, should be interesting to see where they go for a sequel.  Might go back and do a complete playthrough on ultra hard newgame+, as I think clearing that is pretty much the only thing I would need to do to get full trophy completion on it.

God of War, holy shit.  Such a good game.  In retrospect though, having had a couple of days to process it after the end, I kind of missed the "old school" God of War feel.   Don't get me wrong, the slightly slower pace in this new installment fit perfectly with what they were going for:  I absolutely loved the story, the characters were fucking awesome, and the open world (ish) exploration was quite fun, but I found myself a little let down in that it seemed to lack any of the crazy epic boss fights from previous God of War games.  Hoping we get more of those in the next installment, as beating the shit out of Trolls and Valkyries seemed to be about the high point in this one.

Now I am on to my 7th? i think, Kingdom Hearts related game as I continue my play through of the Kingdom Hearts: The Story so Far collectors edition set.  I figure that at the rate I am going, I should be done just in time to ask for KH3 as a Christmas gift, lol.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: