Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:47:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173013 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13160 on: February 20, 2019, 10:27:06 AM

The pessimism comes from the fact that Anthem doesn't feel like much of an upgrade over any of its precursors.
That's cause it's a downgrade from its precursors in pretty much every way except for the flying.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13161 on: February 20, 2019, 10:49:11 AM

I've also heard that at one point things grind to a halt while the games makes you do what is basically a long checklist of challenges (open a certain number of chests, do 15 combo triggers, 50 melee kills, etc...) before you're able to continue on with the story. Sounds like a desperate attempt do draw the game out because they knew they didn't have enough content.

Division and Destiny both took a lot of post-launch work to get "good" and even then my understanding is that there were some stumbles along the way. Destiny 2 wasn't a slam dunk either, and I'd be fairly surprised if The Division 2 is a great game at launch. It doesn't help though that Anthem is coming late to the game, and also that EA kind of bafflingly stole some of their own thunder by launching Apex Legends shortly before Anthem and for free, so the real question is whether or not EA will invest the time and money into Anthem long-term or if they'll just cut and run instead.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #13162 on: February 20, 2019, 11:03:48 AM

I've also heard that at one point things grind to a halt while the games makes you do what is basically a long checklist of challenges (open a certain number of chests, do 15 combo triggers, 50 melee kills, etc...) before you're able to continue on with the story. Sounds like a desperate attempt do draw the game out because they knew they didn't have enough content.

I think that's a hold-over from one of the early 8-hour demos -- they were trying to block folks from getting beyond a certain point in the demo.  I don't know if it's because they didn't want to reveal too much of the story, or if they were hiding the bits that hadn't gotten as much polish.

A strong theme I'm seeing in published reviews is "Fun shooting mechanics, pretty grapihics, but it sucks because BioWare didn't make Mass Effect 4/KOTOR 3."  I mean, I get it.  I wanted more of those games, too.  But do your damn job, review the game you have, and quit comparing it to the game in your head.
/rant

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13163 on: February 20, 2019, 11:30:07 AM

I think the problem is that they tried to inject a bit of Mass Effect into it and it pretty much only slows down an already slow game. One of the most annoying things for me? Having to access the forge (in between missions) to change anything on your character, I mean Javelin (whatever). That sucks in a loot based game. Who the hell thought that not allowing you to enjoy your loot or experiment with it until the end of the mission was a good idea?! And it sucks even more so when the forge is gated behind another loading screen. That murdered my desire to play so damn fast.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13164 on: February 20, 2019, 11:43:20 AM

Even in Andromeda, you could unlock multiple forward bases on the map to change your loadout. Maybe they'll add the solution to the problem they recreated after solving it?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13165 on: February 20, 2019, 12:16:07 PM

Yes there are 4 tombs you need to open to progress the story and the way you unlock them is via the type of stuff you listed above. They've apparently patched things so that some of the things you've done previously now count towards those goals but that of course just cuts down on the length of the story campaign which is probably a good thing given how bad it is. Not that the end game is any better, mind you.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13166 on: February 20, 2019, 12:23:51 PM

I think that's a hold-over from one of the early 8-hour demos -- they were trying to block folks from getting beyond a certain point in the demo.  I don't know if it's because they didn't want to reveal too much of the story, or if they were hiding the bits that hadn't gotten as much polish.

A strong theme I'm seeing in published reviews is "Fun shooting mechanics, pretty grapihics, but it sucks because BioWare didn't make Mass Effect 4/KOTOR 3."  I mean, I get it.  I wanted more of those games, too.  But do your damn job, review the game you have, and quit comparing it to the game in your head.
/rant

Maybe we've been reading different reviews, but the ones I'm reading are complaining about loading times, lack of endgame content, the repetitiveness of enemy encounters, and that as a multiplayer game all the single-player story stuff in Fort Tarsis seems slow and a little lifeless. I've also seen some complaints about the price and low quality of the cosmetic microtransaction stuff which honestly I don't really give a shit about. It sounds like maybe they don't have the loot quite right yet either. Most people do seem to find the combat fun although from videos I've seen I've been a little concerned that the Storm Javelin (caster equivalent) looks far and away like the most fun to play to the point where I'd expect a glut of them.

I mean, it does seem like there's a bit of dog-piling on this game. IIRC the guy writing about the game at Forbes for instance whined about the early access stuff quite a bit, but honestly once the game fully launched that doesn't really matter unless you're the kind of person who hates being "behind" some of the other players. There aren't too many complaints that can't be fixed or improved over time, but The Division 2 launches in less than a month.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #13167 on: February 20, 2019, 12:40:57 PM

I'm really enjoying the combat so far, playing the run-and-gun/melee Interceptor - which is totally the opposite of my normal playstyle. Yes, the load times are horrendous (they say they are addressing this) and there is a bit of sameyness, but the fun mechanics, and the really, really smooth party system are keeping me in it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #13168 on: February 20, 2019, 02:25:37 PM

Official Day 1 patch notes (will be deployed before worldwide launch):

Patch notes

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13169 on: February 20, 2019, 02:42:26 PM

Not the miracle patch people are hoping for.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13170 on: February 20, 2019, 02:49:32 PM

Most people do seem to find the combat fun although from videos I've seen I've been a little concerned that the Storm Javelin (caster equivalent) looks far and away like the most fun to play to the point where I'd expect a glut of them.
It's the most fun for some cause you can hover in one spot and spam your abilities and the AI is too stupid to shoot at you when you are in the air*. From watching lots of streams I would say the jack-of-all-trades (Ranger) is the least played class right now. The other three: tank (Colossus), caster (Storm) and melee ninja (Interceptor) seem to be fairly evenly represented.

* It's also too stupid in many cases to shoot at you when you are on the ground but that happens less often than when you are in the air
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13171 on: February 20, 2019, 04:55:07 PM

Why do we keep bringing up Forbes' reviews of videogames, at all, ever?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13172 on: February 20, 2019, 05:09:02 PM

Why do we keep bringing up Forbes' reviews of videogames, at all, ever?

In this case mostly because the guy doing the Anthem write-ups for them has posted 8 articles in about 5 days so anytime I did a search on Anthem to get impressions his shit kept popping up.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #13173 on: February 20, 2019, 09:20:10 PM

Its not going to pull my group away from Warframe I don't think. The pacing and esp shooting just feel very off. And the weapons frankly from the streams I've watched are pretty boring, the abilities are pretty and flashy and seem to have some cool customization points maybe. I love flight (Tribes <3) and I like the look and was excited to see a AAA take on Warframe esp if it meant more/better enemies and more AI challenge. Destiny has always looked slow and console and floaty to me but Anthem doesn't do enough to remedy the console feel while Warframe continues to be a very twitchy PC feeling run and gun experience with a legacy of go faster.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13174 on: February 21, 2019, 06:23:34 AM

Finished the first Trails in the Sky.  What a great little story and great JRPG.  Huge thanks (was it Falc?) for the recommendation.  I am staring at the purchasing screen on Steam debating whether or not to just dive right into the second one, the only thing causing me pause is that dumping 50 hour into the first one over the past two weeks has my head spinning.  Been YEARS since I have done that.

Great great great.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #13175 on: February 24, 2019, 04:50:08 PM

Finally got around to God of War. I'd never played any of the previous iterations, but I found the game quite fun. Really good story, well crafted, and I liked how they integrated and handled Norse mythology.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13176 on: February 24, 2019, 05:07:01 PM

Finished the first Trails in the Sky.  What a great little story and great JRPG.  Huge thanks (was it Falc?) for the recommendation.  I am staring at the purchasing screen on Steam debating whether or not to just dive right into the second one, the only thing causing me pause is that dumping 50 hour into the first one over the past two weeks has my head spinning.  Been YEARS since I have done that.

Great great great.

Glad to hear that. Now I know I'll eventually pick it up. I am still having a great time with Trails of Cold Steel but unfortunately my playing time has been killed by Apex Legends. No matter how bad I am, I can't seem to be able to play anything else at the moment. Also, turns out it is made with the Source Engine, so maybe that's why I like it so much.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13177 on: February 25, 2019, 04:47:50 AM

I've been playing too much Auto chess. Perfect to play when the kids are around. Don't have to pay attention during battles.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13178 on: February 25, 2019, 05:36:09 AM

Great great great.

Glad to hear that. Now I know I'll eventually pick it up. I am still having a great time with Trails of Cold Steel but unfortunately my playing time has been killed by Apex Legends. No matter how bad I am, I can't seem to be able to play anything else at the moment. Also, turns out it is made with the Source Engine, so maybe that's why I like it so much.

Assuming it doesn't stray too much, I assume Cold Steel is just a new generation of the same basic game....so yeah, liking one undoubtedly means liking the other.  Reviews seem to back that up.  And I didn't manage to hold out very long, by the way.  I am already 15 hours into the Second Chapter.  It is an actual continuation of the first in every way that matters, you literally start off where the last one ended.  Great stuff.  It is really fucking nice playing a game for once that I absolutely KNOW that I am going to finish, which becomes rarer for me all the time.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #13179 on: February 26, 2019, 04:46:57 AM

Its not going to pull my group away from Warframe I don't think. The pacing and esp shooting just feel very off. And the weapons frankly from the streams I've watched are pretty boring, the abilities are pretty and flashy and seem to have some cool customization points maybe. I love flight (Tribes <3) and I like the look and was excited to see a AAA take on Warframe esp if it meant more/better enemies and more AI challenge. Destiny has always looked slow and console and floaty to me but Anthem doesn't do enough to remedy the console feel while Warframe continues to be a very twitchy PC feeling run and gun experience with a legacy of go faster.

Finally got back from Chicago over the weekend and started playing yesterday. I played both demos so I already have a sense of the game mechanics. This is the first time I am actively avoiding reviews of the game because they have seem to devolved into poop flinging with every reviewer trying to top the outrageousness of the next reviewer. Like Father Mike said:
review the game you have, and quit comparing it to the game in your head

This is an abilities game that treats the shooty parts as supplemental damage and not the main output. Flying is probably the game's hallmark. I dig it... and I'm not even an iron man fan.
  • environment (levels! LEVELS JERRY!!)- I like the fact that the world uses the Z axis to create a much bigger play area
  • customization of the suits is nice - especially the paint system (jury is out on the skins as those are being trickled out)
  • story so far is ok - not all that engaging, but at least I know why I am doing things
DISLIKES:
  • loading screens - on the fence here. I see the need but they are a pain. Slightly less on my PS4 with an SSD though
  • tethering - again, I understand the need, but the leash is way way too short
  • enemies aren't all that interesting (I'm hoping that gets developed)
  • Tarsis is a slog - I hate first person view for that area - makes everything seem slow, like you are moving through water
  • freeplay is kinda dumb in that it is a limited 4 player instance

So far I'm liking it overall.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #13180 on: February 26, 2019, 09:08:47 AM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13181 on: February 26, 2019, 11:03:33 AM

I've played Destiny 1/2, The Division 1, and Warframe. Warframe isn't very much like the others in that list.

Very related: I got to the last mission in the Octavia quest and FUCK WHAT THE SHIT FUCK god damn

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13182 on: February 26, 2019, 11:08:24 AM

Worth it though -- Octavia is so OP.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13183 on: February 27, 2019, 11:02:44 AM

I figure anyone who makes it through that final quest deserves some OP.

I've been pretty happy with the OP that is Limbo Prime, but he's not great for that quest. Will try Rhino because I just can't avoid being shot AND stay on solid ground.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13184 on: February 27, 2019, 11:19:45 AM

I can’t remember now who I did It with. It might have been Zephyr, though, for the extra jumping control. I definitely remember the sweaty palms from doing it.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #13185 on: February 27, 2019, 11:30:54 AM

So that Octavia final:

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13186 on: February 27, 2019, 11:31:35 AM

Yup.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #13187 on: February 27, 2019, 01:03:52 PM

"Stranger of sword city".... the idea that Japan are still making wizardry style games in this day and age, and that even such a simple framework can still drag me in surprises, though the bizarre plot and artwork do help cover that up. Turn based and where most moves are not critical can be quite relaxing. Vita port though and apparently some issues on windows 10 leading to lots of poor reviews.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13188 on: February 27, 2019, 02:55:54 PM

Waiting for the new PoE league. Do you get access to the items in your stash on the new league character?

I guess it's time to scrape the backlog or find another janky survival game to "finish".

I'm really bummed that apparently Anthem stinks. I want a DA:4, but who knows if we get that now. I wouldn't be surprised if this kills Bioware in its current form. Hell, I didn't even touch Andromeda, and I'm a huge Bioware fan.

-Rasix
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #13189 on: February 27, 2019, 04:50:37 PM

Do you get access to the items in your stash on the new league character?
Nope, completely fresh economy just like Diablo 2/3 seasons. You get to carry over your MTX and (for the first time this league) your hideout. And having Scion unlocked. That's it.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #13190 on: February 28, 2019, 02:45:15 AM

I'm really bummed that apparently Anthem stinks. I want a DA:4, but who knows if we get that now. I wouldn't be surprised if this kills Bioware in its current form. Hell, I didn't even touch Andromeda, and I'm a huge Bioware fan.

Anthem is consistent with their trajectory and not a surprise at all. The sort of games and release pace EA wants doesn't match with their culture or strengths, even if they were at their prime, nor do I think they are well suited to pushing out frequent content expansions so their ability to recover anthem post launch is dubious.

- Simond
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #13191 on: February 28, 2019, 06:10:37 AM

"Stranger of sword city".... the idea that Japan are still making wizardry style games in this day and age, and that even such a simple framework can still drag me in surprises, though the bizarre plot and artwork do help cover that up. Turn based and where most moves are not critical can be quite relaxing. Vita port though and apparently some issues on windows 10 leading to lots of poor reviews.

I played the first 8 hours or so of this and thought it was ok.  I think the thing that annoyed me the most was just the random difficulty combined with a harsh death penalty.  Every once in awhile they just threw a group of monsters at you that were the same exact things that you've been fighting all along but 20 levels higher (and look identical).  So if you weren't paying attention it would just wreck you out of nowhere.  I did like the art style quite a bit.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13192 on: February 28, 2019, 08:32:43 AM

On jank: tried Kenshi. Refunded it after less than an hour. There may be something here, but good god, I haven't seen a game this ugly that controls this bad in a long time. I don't think I'd be able to deal with these camera controls for a $30 price tag. I get that it is eventually like some sort of Mount & Blade / Dwarf Fortress hybrid and that it's an indy passion project, but this is just too raw.

Started Into the Breach. It's OK. It's a puzzle game, and I generally don't want a puzzle game at the end of the day. Too much thinking. I don't get the critical knob slobbering over this title, but I'll probably play some more of it.

-Rasix
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #13193 on: February 28, 2019, 01:53:20 PM

I played the first 8 hours or so of this and thought it was ok.  I think the thing that annoyed me the most was just the random difficulty combined with a harsh death penalty.  Every once in awhile they just threw a group of monsters at you that were the same exact things that you've been fighting all along but 20 levels higher (and look identical).  So if you weren't paying attention it would just wreck you out of nowhere.  I did like the art style quite a bit.

Yes, you are expected to run using the "divinity" power that lets you automatically flee a battle, and it oddly has become less of an issue as I've levelled up. It is pretty bad design that it happens early when your party is pretty weak, fragile and your divinity pool is tiny. Apparently later there's also some insta-kill attacks to add "difficulty" and the tools to deal with that are really not obvious and not something you are going to know to care about when you start.

- Simond
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13194 on: February 28, 2019, 02:16:06 PM

I got halfway through Stranger of Sword City twice, and generally agree that it's ok. Being able to class change around back and forth to cherry pick abilities and make perfect characters is a lot of fun, rolling for ability score points is super frustrating, and for some reason I just drifted away. I liked Demon Gaze better (same developer), but none of their games are as good as Etrian Odyssey imo.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: