Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:02:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Severance - Emerald Dream PvP/RP (Horde) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Severance - Emerald Dream PvP/RP (Horde)  (Read 84172 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #315 on: October 17, 2005, 04:43:18 AM

Well, you did mention CS, but...

What I was getting at was:

What is it that makes you stick with a game that is 97% "mindless pve" just to play in 3 battlegrounds (something I presume that you wouldn't consider mindless), but then, turn around and consider another "battleground" game, with more than 3 maps, just as many players at a time, absolutely 0% mindless pve, to be a waste of $50?

Not only that, but you also mentioned your liking for killing Paladins in an area.....Just so you can have the mindless PvE all to yourself.

Honest question. I'm not attacking you for anything, and I'm not trying to "convert" you to Battlefield. I'm just askin'. It's not even directed only at you, for that matter, but to people who say they're "PvP'ers" in general. There are quite a few "hardcore" PvP guilds who admit that they play for both PvE AND PvP, and that I do understand. This I don't.

Is it because it's "fantasy" themed? Uses RPG combat mechanics, and you prefer that over twitch? Persistency?

In other words, I can't figure out why anyone would want to play a predominately PvE game except for the fact that they like it.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: October 17, 2005, 04:49:15 AM

Hey there guys, long time no see.

I managed to waste my hard drive and I won't be able to replace it at least for some weeks.

Posting from work might be possible, playing is not.

See you in game in a few weeks (if the guild survives that long)  evil

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #317 on: October 17, 2005, 07:34:08 AM

Well, you did mention CS, but...

What I was getting at was:

What is it that makes you stick with a game that is 97% "mindless pve" just to play in 3 battlegrounds (something I presume that you wouldn't consider mindless), but then, turn around and consider another "battleground" game, with more than 3 maps, just as many players at a time, absolutely 0% mindless pve, to be a waste of $50?

Because that mindless PvE is fun sometimes.  I really don't play games to think.

Not only that, but you also mentioned your liking for killing Paladins in an area.....Just so you can have the mindless PvE all to yourself.

See above.  I played on a PvE server a few times.  The reason I stopped each time was because it wasn't warcrafty enough.  There should be no reason I can't kill that guy when I see him in the name of the Horde.

Honest question. I'm not attacking you for anything, and I'm not trying to "convert" you to Battlefield. I'm just askin'. It's not even directed only at you, for that matter, but to people who say they're "PvP'ers" in general. There are quite a few "hardcore" PvP guilds who admit that they play for both PvE AND PvP, and that I do understand. This I don't.

Is it because it's "fantasy" themed? Uses RPG combat mechanics, and you prefer that over twitch? Persistency?
To answer your last 3 questions.  Yes, Yes, and Sometimes.

In other words, I can't figure out why anyone would want to play a predominately PvE game except for the fact that they like it.

I'm not sure what yer entire point here is other than the fact that you seem burnt on all MMOR's right now and are venting your thoughts 'out loud'.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #318 on: October 17, 2005, 09:38:23 AM

I'm not sure what yer entire point here is other than the fact that you seem burnt on all MMOR's right now and are venting your thoughts 'out loud'.

Ummm...Partly yeah. Where are we again? Definitely not a Blizzard fanboi site (I think). Not even an MMORPG fanboi site (I think). I thought it'd be OK to post it.

But it's not totally my point. Many people who like PvP say a lot of the same things about PvE. They've been using the term "mindless PvE" for years now. And if there's so many that have been saying it for so long, then I wonder why they don't....Play games with more PvP in them. Also, I wonder why, if there's so many, why haven't developers recognized it and catered to them? Surely such a game with class and combat based mechanics, without leveling, and only PvP would be a hit (that is, if that's what these players truly want).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 09:40:27 AM by Stray »
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #319 on: October 17, 2005, 09:48:34 AM

The same reason you get level 99 on your characters on Nintendos Final Fantasy series. 

It has been proven time and again that people do not want balanced PvP in MMORPGs.  For me PvP is an added challenge to an existing platform.  Really I see the Alliance people as smarter (well, not always) mobs, kinda along the same lines as that Elite level 24 in Silverpine who wanders around killing lowbies without warning.  Except with players I can fight back and win sometimes (still surprised about taking people out that are 5+ levels from me!).

Edit.  Added stuffs.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 09:51:20 AM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #320 on: October 17, 2005, 10:01:14 AM

Major difference between mobs though: They give me stuff when I kill them.

I would still be messing around with that game, and dealing with intrusion, if I got to loot corpses or help take over contested land. Or something. All of the sudden, the PvP is fine way to balance out the rest of my activities, and not a waste of my game time. All of the sudden, it's not an instrusion at all. It's welcomed.
Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #321 on: October 17, 2005, 10:08:19 AM

I haven't been on much because of Rome: TW - Barbarian Invasion, but I'm not burned out on ED at all, nor do I feel compelled to try keep up with everybody.  I don't really like soloing that much -- possibly because I'm a Priest -- so being forced to group in a PvP server really isn't an issue for me.  In fact, it has two advantages over PvE that I wasn't expecting:

1)  People are more or less "forced" to group after level 20 (more like 30 for alliance, which is bullshit, but whatever).  Makes it very easy to find a group.

2)  People do most of their xp grinding in instances, which means everybody needs to be in the proper level range as to not gimp xp.  This was almost unheard of on ER -- there was always at least one uber person that baby sat.

Although I prefer grouping with guildies and people I know, PUGs haven't been hard to find at all, and I haven't seen the usual asshatery associated with PUGs, either.  In other words, there's not the danger of falling too far behind and being left in the dust.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #322 on: October 19, 2005, 07:53:20 PM

Looks like I won't be playing for a while either.  Not because I'm having any problems with the game, but the BG's have been pretty dead on this server lately and pretty much non-existant for the 50+ crowd which I was slowly approaching.  I find myself logging on and doing small tasks since I never know when I'm going to get into the BG.  Sometimes it's a few minutes, sometimes it's a couple hours.  I could go back to leveling, but it looks like all the 50+'s do is instance raids which doesn't appeal to me.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #323 on: October 20, 2005, 04:24:32 PM

Looks like I won't be playing for a while either.  Not because I'm having any problems with the game, but the BG's have been pretty dead on this server lately and pretty much non-existant for the 50+ crowd which I was slowly approaching.  I find myself logging on and doing small tasks since I never know when I'm going to get into the BG.  Sometimes it's a few minutes, sometimes it's a couple hours.  I could go back to leveling, but it looks like all the 50+'s do is instance raids which doesn't appeal to me.

Gimmie yer cash so I can get a mount.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: October 24, 2005, 03:10:09 PM

Cheddar was roaming the wilds and I figured I should share these maps so the rest of us don't get lost

http://whalebait.com/cavalry/images/kalimdorcont.jpg

http://whalebait.com/cavalry/images/easterncont.jpg
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #325 on: October 24, 2005, 03:11:24 PM

Pretty!

A good map is Art.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #326 on: October 24, 2005, 06:18:41 PM

Cheddar was roaming the wilds and I figured I should share these maps so the rest of us don't get lost

http://whalebait.com/cavalry/images/kalimdorcont.jpg

http://whalebait.com/cavalry/images/easterncont.jpg

Thank you sir!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: October 25, 2005, 11:45:31 AM

Good stuff - one of the more complete atlas I've seen.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #328 on: October 26, 2005, 08:38:14 AM

Nice maps.

I must also announce that my new computer is here, so I can finally return! HURRAH!

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #329 on: October 26, 2005, 08:53:27 AM

Nice maps.

I must also announce that my new computer is here, so I can finally return! HURRAH!

Glad to hear you will be officially gaming on the intardweb once more sir!  We look forward to your presence.

FYI the rumors about me are not true.  Well, mostly are not true.  You need any weapons made for your rogue?  Lemme know I love to SMITH!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Severance - Emerald Dream PvP/RP (Horde)  
Jump to: