Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:19:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Preowned Games ate my baby. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preowned Games ate my baby.  (Read 28062 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #70 on: August 19, 2005, 09:49:20 AM

I agree with the sentiment about EA's ball-clutching.

I won't be playing a football game for several years, apparently. Hopefully Visual Concepts/2k Games puts out /something/ good before the NFL license is unlocked again (if ever...).

I mean, I suck at football, but it's fun as hell. You guys just kick my ass too hard ;) It's all moot now, and I'll be over 40 before I see another football video game :(
WayAbvPar

Reply #71 on: August 19, 2005, 10:52:27 AM

I have decided that I will play NCAA 2k5 for a couple of years. There are no named players, so the roster updates don't mean shit. The gameplay is as good as Madden, and it is fun to start your own college, recruit players, and build a program from the ground up. I believe that there is a new version out this year, but I don't need it. The old one works fine for me.

The next console football game I will buy will be for the X360. If/when I buy one.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: August 24, 2005, 12:38:02 PM

Jade Empire @ EB

New: $19.99
Used: $26.99

Err...huh?

More Madden 06 fun: It shows up as a 'bestseller' @ EB's Xbox 360 shop, the only game on the list (the other two items are the $600 and $700 360 bundles....).
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: August 24, 2005, 02:38:44 PM

Err...huh?

That happens sometimes when new games get discounted.  No idea why, but I saw the same thing when I picked up a copy of Metal Gear 3. 

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 24, 2005, 04:11:31 PM

More Madden 06 fun: It shows up as a 'bestseller' @ EB's Xbox 360 shop, the only game on the list (the other two items are the $600 and $700 360 bundles....).

Holy shit a $700 bundle? WTF? God, these bundles are really out of control. It probably comes with $100 of strategy guides...

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #75 on: August 24, 2005, 06:40:37 PM

Jade Empire @ EB

Err...huh?

$19.99 for this masterpiece? I just got around to finishing it....it's worth more than that. Put up another GotY nomination for BioWare.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #76 on: August 24, 2005, 10:54:23 PM

My favorite part was learning about the "D" in the EB computer.  Now the main reason I have to go by EB is that one girl with the big tits and peeking thong.

A - Active
D - Discontinued
R - Recalled

I don't recall seeing any other letter. Nothing in large numbers at least. Most Atlus games go D before the month they release is over. Riviera for GBA? D already. I have a copy on hold and its been there for 2 weeks because if I let it go I won't see another. Ever.
schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: August 24, 2005, 11:04:05 PM

I think Stella Deus went D the day it came out. Or maybe that was Makai Kingdom.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #78 on: August 29, 2005, 09:42:06 AM

God damn EB.  Where do I need to be buying my shit?  I'm tired of supporting those shitlipped assprobes.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: August 29, 2005, 10:02:07 AM

EB/Gamestop need to have more shelf space imo, so they can stop fucking with the industry at large. There should be old archive shelves with 20 aisles of classics and old crap.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #80 on: August 30, 2005, 12:24:38 PM

Am I to understand that each of the erudite h4rdc0rz here buy all of their games from EB or GS?  Watch out for the man-sized turd I'll be leaving in each store's preorder-box corner.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #81 on: August 30, 2005, 12:26:37 PM

Am I to understand that each of the erudite h4rdc0rz here buy all of their games from EB or GS?  Watch out for the man-sized turd I'll be leaving in each store's preorder-box corner.

I only buy stuff I feel like preordering/is limited edition from there. Also, I preorder an asston for the demos and then cancel them the day the game comes in. With Fry's near me, I've no reason to shop anywhere else. Ever. Again.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #82 on: August 30, 2005, 01:32:25 PM

Is Fry's that place with the blue rounded triangle logo?  I think there is one near me.  I thought they sold washing machines.  I'll drop by on the way home today... assuming I remember where it is.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: August 30, 2005, 01:49:13 PM

Even with the paucity of PC games, they (EB) have the best selection.

Actually, there's only one place to buy pc games in town: walmart. The mall in the next city over has a circuit city, best buy is around the corner from the mall (both cc and bb have crappy selections).

For the record, I am neither erudite nor h4rdc0rz.  tongue cry
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: September 03, 2005, 01:06:29 PM

I think Stella Deus went D the day it came out. Or maybe that was Makai Kingdom.

Supreme Ruler 2010 was listed as D in the Edmonton EB computers for weeks before it was released. And on the day of release. And the weeks after release. It may still be for all I know; I bought it elsewhere.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: September 05, 2005, 05:19:21 AM

Undeveloped land is certainly the way to go if you can either a) work at home, b) don't mind commuting 1-2 hours to work, or c) you are already retired.

I'd love to buy some land somewhere here in Colorado, but since I work in downtown Denver it'd be a hell of a drive every day. Any affordable land around here is quite a distance away. Right now I live 15 mins away from work (on back roads) so I don't feel like I spend the vast majority of my day either working or driving.

Personally, I'll probably be semi retired in about 8 years (Army pension ftw).  I'm looking at picking up a house way the hell up in the upper peninsula of Michigan, probably around Marquette.  There are no jobs there, but then you can actually buy a decent home for around 60K, and I can easily afford to live on half pay (which I hope to make E-8 by the time I retire) for life up there while supplementing my income with rinky dink part time jobs or some chincy internet business.

Retired at 42?  Fuck yeah, bitches.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: September 06, 2005, 06:47:56 AM

That sounds like a plan, BG. I just passed a house I had my eye on for around ten years when I went up to my mother's place Sunday for the family bbq. It's listed pretty high, $147k evaluated at $110k, and it's got no land (1 acre). But it's in a great spot in the country, close to friends and family, and it's friggin' HUGE. The horns of a dilemma and whatnot. It's also way more than I can afford, the eval price would be pushing my piddly library salary (though I should be getting a promotion next year, it's still piddly compared to housing/cost of living). We also just found out BRAC isn't shutting our labs down (yay!) but they are actually expanding which will really spike housing in the next couple years (boo!).

Oh, and it's chintzy. :)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #87 on: September 06, 2005, 09:28:38 AM

Awesome.  You should start a chintzy online game sales racket so I don't have to endure retail outlets anymore.

Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: September 06, 2005, 11:50:57 AM

You mean federal pensions can't be underfunded and liquidated in bankruptcy?  ;)  I've got to get me a government job so I can play more games!
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: September 06, 2005, 02:25:14 PM

You mean federal pensions can't be underfunded and liquidated in bankruptcy?  ;)  I've got to get me a government job so I can play more games!

Or hey, if I play my cards right maybe I can slide into a GS job after I retire and get that pension in addition to my Army pension.

And then I will destroy you all.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: September 06, 2005, 05:55:18 PM

Having done a tour in the service I can say that the man will have EARNED his relative peace & quiet by 42.
Though it does get a bit easier once you hit E7 or so, provided one doesn't decide to go some form of officer.

Older noncom switch to officers know they are getting shafted by the academy nutjobs unlike the academy kids who just have this haunted look in their eyes till O-3 or so...
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: September 06, 2005, 06:24:41 PM

Older noncom switch to officers know they are getting shafted by the academy nutjobs unlike the academy kids who just have this haunted look in their eyes till O-3 or so...

Why does the Army put a lieutenant in every infantry platoon?  Somebody has to take off their gas mask first.

What's the difference between a private (E-2) and a lieutenant?  The private has been promoted once.

But I will confirm that the best CO's I've ever had went through OCS after enlisted active duty.  Head and shoulders better than any West Point grad I've ever served under.  They have the same disease that Warrant Officers do; they've seen how the system works from the bottom and know how it can be played.  They don't micromanage, they let their senior NCO's do most of the heavy lifting, who will more than likely get the job done, by hook or by crook.

My last first sergeant was a master of that shit.  He'd get supplies all over the place from his various little connections.  We never asked how he did it (and neither did our commander), and he never told us, but sweet Jesus was that man ever the epitome of midnight requisitioning.  This was the guy that sent us out to the Air Force's AO with stencils and paint because we needed a generator.  We just rolled up to an area that was fairly inconspicuous and did a quick touchup on it.  Hook it up to the deuce and a half, and drive right back through the gates while waving at the SP's.  Beautiful.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 06:27:41 PM by Big Gulp »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Preowned Games ate my baby.  
Jump to: