Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:37:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Issue #5 - Now Testing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Issue #5 - Now Testing  (Read 10458 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #35 on: July 24, 2005, 09:29:59 PM

Today I made an archer and was able to acquire the wonderful name of Magic Twanger.  I need a sidekick named Froggy, now.  Any volunteers?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 25, 2005, 11:08:10 AM

Today I made an archer and was able to acquire the wonderful name of Magic Twanger.  I need a sidekick named Froggy, now.  Any volunteers?
Please don't tell me you're that old.

I'm not, even though I know what you are talking about.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #37 on: July 25, 2005, 01:00:49 PM

Well, no... I don't actually, like, remember it or anything.  But I still like it!

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 25, 2005, 01:03:50 PM

Bah, if I hadn't cancelled I might be tempted to cook up Hank the Ranger:

But nah.  Maybe I'll re-sub in a few months when I'm not pissed off at the game any more.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #39 on: July 25, 2005, 01:16:36 PM

I was in a random pickup group on Saturday and someone mentioned the stuff on I5 and how bad the nerfs were.  I had previously copied my DM/regen scrapper over and still been able to run on unyielding.  When I said I thought the changes weren't that bad, and that I was glad that tanker herding was going away, I swear I could see the looks on the faces of my teammates.  "WHY???" was the response I got from all of them.

So sue me for liking things to be a bit of a challenge....

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 25, 2005, 01:26:37 PM

I've gotten used to playing a particular way, and I don't feel up to changing.

I don't "herd" per se.  Rather, I jump into a solo mission (difficulty is, uh, the next-to-highest--double-sized groups of +1/+2), grab the first group of bad guys, drag it over to a second group, and start fighting.  When it starts to thin out, I haul them over to the next group.  So on and so forth in a non-stop brawl (I've got my scrapper slotted so that she can fight indefinitely without crapping out on endurance).

The changes just make me feel less "super."  I'm sure I'd adjust if I just began a new character with a clean slate of expectations, but I can't stomach that without a break first.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #41 on: July 25, 2005, 02:03:05 PM

The herding that I've seen is where a group takes on some huge mass of stuff while the tank absorbs all of the aggro. 

My problem with it isn't so much that it is easy.  It just seems like "everyone heal the tank while the damage dealers hurt stuff" model smacks of the EQ holy trinity.  I really hate that.  I have a DM/regen scrapper, and while I have to worry a bit more about my health bar, the changes on Test aren't set in stone, some are being or have been rolled back, and even as-is I don't see much of a problem.

Hell, I can't even solo Terra (arguably the easiest AV) on Unyielding as it stands on Live.  I may ratchet down to something less and hope that by restarting the mission, I can actually complete it.  I hate trying to put together a pick up group, but at least for an AV, it's easy.

I'd rather have to adjust and devise new tactics than just cruise along on "god mode."  Sure, I still die as-is, and odds are that I'll die a bit more for the near future once I5 goes live.  The thing is that I don't really mind it.  I can just say to myself, "Well, [insert comic book hero here] had to change his/her tactics as his/her powers changed."

But I really love CoH, so that may be part of it as well.  Barring one eaten by an ATM debit card and forgetting to update my CC info when my old one expired and the new was issued, I've been subbed to CoH since launch.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #42 on: July 25, 2005, 02:12:44 PM

I hope they aren't trying to get rid of all herding.  It's the "spead through the level, aggro 4 groups, hide behind bad geometry and slaughter mobs with mininamil effort" herding that's broken.

"Me am play gods"
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 25, 2005, 04:13:28 PM

I've gotten used to playing a particular way, and I don't feel up to changing.

I don't "herd" per se.  Rather, I jump into a solo mission (difficulty is, uh, the next-to-highest--double-sized groups of +1/+2), grab the first group of bad guys, drag it over to a second group, and start fighting.  When it starts to thin out, I haul them over to the next group.  So on and so forth in a non-stop brawl (I've got my scrapper slotted so that she can fight indefinitely without crapping out on endurance).

The changes just make me feel less "super."  I'm sure I'd adjust if I just began a new character with a clean slate of expectations, but I can't stomach that without a break first.
Have you tried it scaled back to Tenacious? With the XP changes Tenacious is better than Unyielding past 27 or so.

--GF
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 25, 2005, 04:23:24 PM

I hope they aren't trying to get rid of all herding.  It's the "spead through the level, aggro 4 groups, hide behind bad geometry and slaughter mobs with mininamil effort" herding that's broken.
What other sorts of herding are there? (This is a serious question.)

Dumpsters and maybe those little pits on the ground floor of Eden are the only real "bad geometry" in the game. I mean, I _like_ that you can hide behind a stack of crates in a warehouse and stuff has to circle around to get to you. There are some rooms in the later instances, especially this one three-tier tech lab room, where you have to shift the fight to your terms or you'll get plinked to death by the peanut gallery. I don't really qualify that as herding.

I've never used geometry to my advantage so much as I've done in CoH. With modest Z-axis freedom comes the ability to make a meaningful obstacle.

--GF
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 25, 2005, 04:31:17 PM

[Have you tried it scaled back to Tenacious? With the XP changes Tenacious is better than Unyielding past 27 or so.

--GF

It's got nothing to do with the experience gained.

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 26, 2005, 05:45:21 AM

[Have you tried it scaled back to Tenacious? With the XP changes Tenacious is better than Unyielding past 27 or so.

--GF

It's got nothing to do with the experience gained.
...so you can have a more challenging fight in your playstyle with greater rewards than you did before the patch, and the game is broken because the villain names are white instead of yellow?

Space logic.

--GF
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 26, 2005, 06:18:24 AM

Made an Archer/Trick Arrow defender last night (Teucor) and a Sonic/Elec Manip Blaster (Sonny Jim), I liked the initial two sonic attacks but was a little underwhelmed by the initial two Archery attacks, the damage was good just no flash, ya know?  Very vanilla attacks.  Defenders with trick arrow are going to be really good soloers.  Immobilize and nuke anyone?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 26, 2005, 08:00:22 AM

...so you can have a more challenging fight in your playstyle with greater rewards than you did before the patch, and the game is broken because the villain names are white instead of yellow?

Space logic.

--GF

I was perfectly happy with the challenge the way it was.  Now I'm not. 

The amount of xp is irrelevant; if I cared about that I'd answer all those irritating requests to bridge I got every damn day and be level 50 instead of 41.

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #49 on: July 27, 2005, 03:50:51 AM

Made an Archer/Trick Arrow defender last night (Teucor) and a Sonic/Elec Manip Blaster (Sonny Jim), I liked the initial two sonic attacks but was a little underwhelmed by the initial two Archery attacks, the damage was good just no flash, ya know?  Very vanilla attacks.  Defenders with trick arrow are going to be really good soloers.  Immobilize and nuke anyone?

The deal with archery is that the attacks are fairly fast, relative to other blasters, and Very accurate.  It has an additional ACC bonus beyond the 5% 'weapon draw' bonus.  Yes, the damage is somewhat lackluster, especially when compared to Sonics...  But it's not that horrid if compared to other similar sets, like AR.

There is also some talk that archery is using too much endurance for the damage it does...  I heard rumor that Cryptic is looking into it.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 27, 2005, 06:02:33 AM

Well, no... I don't actually, like, remember it or anything.  But I still like it!

That's good.  It is from a kid's show in the 50's. (Andy's Gang with Andy Devine.)  The only reason I know is that my dad used to say it all the time, which prompted me to go search for the information on the Internet.

Now I say it and my kids have absolutely no idea why.  Actually, I don't know why either.  *boink*
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #51 on: July 27, 2005, 06:29:56 AM

For some reason, I thought it was from the Howdie Doodie Show.  Anyway... Archery uses too much end.  So does Trick Arrow.  I made a char using both and my constant depletion of end. made it an extremely frustrating combination.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 27, 2005, 06:34:20 AM

For some reason, I thought it was from the Howdie Doodie Show.  Anyway... Archery uses too much end.  So does Trick Arrow.  I made a char using both and my constant depletion of end. made it an extremely frustrating combination.

This is true.  Three minions and a lt. at level four leaves my char drained and popping pills to finish.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 27, 2005, 07:39:33 AM

This is true.  Three minions and a lt. at level four leaves my char drained and popping pills to finish.

Sounds like my Tank when I used to play.  Yuck.  Downtime between fights is not fun.  Downtime during the fight?  Craptastic.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 27, 2005, 05:50:49 PM

If I were channelling Statesman, at this point I'd pop up and write....

'Cool, so you were fighting a group designed for 2 people, what was your partner doing?'

Statesman does that a lot lately. Before someone tells me, yes I know it's silly.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 27, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Whatever.  My blaster can drop three white con minions and a yellow lt. with hardly a dent to his end, no damage taken and all in about 7 seconds.  If Statesmans vision for the game is that it takes two people to drop one of those 'basic' spawn groups then I won't be subbed much longer.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #56 on: July 28, 2005, 12:16:48 AM

He used to say that 3 minions=1 player and 1 lieutenant=1/2 a player.

He has since amended that by saying 3 minions at 3 levels higher than the player should=1 player, same for the lieutenant.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Issue #5 - Now Testing  
Jump to: