Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:26:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: You had me at Hello World. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: You had me at Hello World.  (Read 16056 times)
schild
Administrator

on: June 13, 2005, 11:14:34 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 11:26:15 PM

Better run out and get your 1.5 PSP before Sony changes the firmware again. Of course, just like in Japan, Sony will then require that future games only run on the latest firmware (the latest games coming out in Japan won't work on 1.0 PSPs) which means more PSPs sold for Sony!
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 11:29:34 PM

I'd rather play Final Fantasy II than anything Sony could put out.

That's the sad truth of it really.

Emulators > Just about Anything that can be released.

Maybe, MAYBE I'd upgrade for a Jaffe designed portable God of War. But Probably Not.

Edit: On second thought, I'm more excited that an exploit might exist that will let me run movies at a full 480x272 instead of this tiny shit they're forcing me into.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 11:31:07 PM by schild »
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 10:02:27 AM

Isn't the game park 32 really good at emulation?  Didn't they even make a GBA emulator (not sure on this)?

But even having a fully working MAME on something like the gamepark interests me far more than a stock psp.  Way too much money for a huge screen and awful battery life.  Although I know nothing of the gp32 battery life.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 10:03:36 AM

Too much money for a huge screen? Huh?

The battery life is fine. Particularly when running shit off a memory stick. Don't be the guy that rags on outdated press backlash.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 10:14:18 AM

Okay, good time for some real information then...

How long DO the batteries last during gameplay?  (I can't imagine EVER wanting to watch a movie on any portable device, but I am not the type that likes seeing movies repeatedly that much anyway)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 10:17:23 AM

The most battery raping game ever, Untold Legends, will still net you battery life in excess of 4 hours.  Lumines you're going to get over 6 hours, easy.   

Movies don't seem to drain the battery that bad.

-Rasix
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 10:24:10 AM

4-6 hours?  That is a good number?  Ugh.  Until battery technology improves at least 4 fold I have no interest in that shit.

Unless the modern recharcables hold charges MUCH better than they used to.  Rechargables from the last time I used them much didn't live very well past 10-20 rechargings.  The thing would have to survive at least weekend trip on one set of batteries before I am interested (10-20 hour min for me).

This isn't a diss on the psp really, but portable electronics in general.  My work laptop for instance only lasts a few hours unplugged.  I missed when this shit became acceptable.  I am glad it is for many because it pushed a lot of nice wireless tech that would have been stagnant otherwise, but it just isn't for me.

Give me nuclear batteries or fuel cell batteries (the rfid reader developed for wallmart uses fuel cells)
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 10:31:35 AM

The PSP is fine. I can get 9 hours out of it with light on min mostly doing shit off a memory stick like watching TV.

Also, there's are cheap ways to double, triple, and easily quadruple the battery life carrying very little more around.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 10:49:39 AM

Does it involve a device like QVC tries to sell me? One of those 'shake the flashlight enough and you'll never need batteries!' things.
Aenovae
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 10:58:06 AM

I'm stoked about PSP emulation.  I'll finally buy a PSP once we get perfect SNES emulation.

What codec do I need to play that avi?  :~(
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 02:03:48 PM

Perfect SNES emulation?

That's what everyone wants. That would dictate it's the first useful thing out.

Enjoy the video.

Edit: Movie is now uploaded - click on link above.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 02:05:48 PM by schild »
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 02:19:39 PM

What codec is that encoded with?  My quicktime does't seem to like your videos.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 02:23:52 PM

Uninstall whatever codec pack you use and just get this:

The DefilerPak.

The final update was August 2004, but I haven't really had to update since then.

If you're a chronic updater, get this:

Gordian Knot Codec Pak.
Kairos
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 02:26:33 PM

Isn't the game park 32 really good at emulation?  Didn't they even make a GBA emulator (not sure on this)?

The big problem with the GP32 is that it only has two face buttons. Not so good for doing stuff like playing SNES games.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 14, 2005, 02:42:15 PM

Another good site for codecs is http://www.free-codecs.com/ (might have some ads and popups and shit, i dont know thanks to adblock+ff, be wary in IE) - they package the newest media player classic with their 'real player alternative' (and quicktime) so you can play those without actually installing QT/real. Plus, they have the newest packaged ffdshow which will play h.264.

Aenovae
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 03:13:07 PM

After downloading every codec known to man, I discovered that the original movie is 2.5MB and schild's link is only 500KB.

Here's the real link:  http://www.xente.mundo-r.com/cybblade/psp-dev/psp-dev-1.5.avi

The movie's not really worth the trouble unless you enjoy watching horrendously blurry movies of someone navigating menus to the tune of The Prodigy's Firestarter....on firmware 1.5!
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005, 03:14:15 PM

500k? Fuck. I don't know what hte problem is. Shit always gets screwed up when I upload anythign larger than 200k. I want to cry. And there's more than one typo in this post. Sigh.

I posted the second movie because it's Link to the Past on a 1.5 PSP.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #18 on: June 14, 2005, 03:50:36 PM

I'm stoked about PSP emulation.  I'll finally buy a PSP once we get perfect SNES emulation.

What codec do I need to play that avi?  :~(

Once the hackers get really good at knocking out Sony's firmware and all of it's subsequent updates emulators should move along nicely. The PSP's processors are MIPS based and pretty well documented I think, so emulators should be short in coming.

I'm wanting GBA emulation myself if for nothing but the irony.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Aenovae
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 14, 2005, 03:53:38 PM

YES!

That Zelda movie makes my day.

Damnit, I need to save my $$$ but PSP is looking mighty sweet right about now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: June 14, 2005, 03:55:55 PM

The Zelda movie has 2000-2001 in the copyright bar. And seeing the way it's centered in the middle of the screen, there's fair reason to believe it's the Spanish GBA release. The GBA Emulators are far beyond the Super Nintendo emulators for the PSP. Also, the opening Triforce falling in goes at full speed. Definately GBA.
Kairos
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 15, 2005, 01:19:03 AM

I thought about mentioning the copyright date, but I checked my GBA copy of LttP and saw that the title screen and file select screen looked completely different than the one shown in the video, which looks -- if I recall correctly -- like the SNES one. Hardly conclusive proof of anything, of course. It's possible the Spanish release used the old title screen. Another possibility is that it is an SNES release from a Latin/South American country. In poorer countries, game systems are often released and supported in that way years after they've died in Japan and the US.

Considering as far as I am aware of there is no GBA emulator for the PSP, that'd be my guess.
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: June 15, 2005, 04:43:58 AM

Ok. The 1.5 exploit does work, but it's stupid, unwieldly and not portable.

It's a step in the right direction but there's a lot of excitement over nothing. The videos weren't faked, but the exploit is the kind of gift you give a younger brother to make him feel as special as the older brother. I should have known not to trust these people.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: June 15, 2005, 05:23:11 AM

Oh more news from the land that time forgot:

1. The exploit corrupts memory sticks left and right requiring reformatting.
2. Snes9X doesn't work. You need to use NesterJ.
3. Don't trust spanish hackers bearing gifts.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 15, 2005, 07:17:38 AM

Of course, just like in Japan, Sony will then require that future games only run on the latest firmware (the latest games coming out in Japan won't work on 1.0 PSPs) which means more PSPs sold for Sony!

Uh, that'd piss me off?

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005, 10:40:25 AM

I have to revisit this for a second and clear something up for myself.

Keep in mind that I neither have a PSP nor do I know anything about them.

Are you telling me that people have to buy entirely new PSPs to play the newer games?

There has to be some kind of update mechanism, right? Wireless update or something of that kind. Right?

Right?

Because if I bought a PSP, and suddenly had to buy ANOTHER one to play the new games, I'd fucking kick someone in the face.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #26 on: June 15, 2005, 10:50:32 AM

No. What it means is that if you want to play emulators or cracked games, you have to never update your firmware. But if you want to play games where Sony requires a firmware update, you'll have to buy a second PSP.

Only the stinking dirty pirates have to buy multiple PSPs.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 15, 2005, 10:56:13 AM

Oh, good. They're dirty and also they stink.

I couldn't possibly fucking grasp a universe wherein that could be the case, though. All I could picture was Sony execs with PSPs crammed roughly into their anuses.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #28 on: June 15, 2005, 11:14:16 AM

The new games come with the firmware update or you can download it wirelessly, I think. Shockeye is fucking with you.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #29 on: June 15, 2005, 11:16:22 AM

The new games come with the firmware update or you can download it wirelessly, I think. Shockeye is fucking with you.

No, I'm not. What I said was that to play legit games you need a legit PSP. To play non-legit games, you need a second PSP that never has a firmware update applied to it.

And pirates are dirty stinky people.

Arrrrr....
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: June 15, 2005, 04:25:53 PM

You'll have to upgrade to play GTA, no doubt. In which case every hole will be cracked.

I'm willing to spend $250 just to have my FFIV and VI on the road with me. They're THAT GOOD.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #31 on: June 15, 2005, 05:08:51 PM

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: June 15, 2005, 05:11:11 PM

Doesn't matter the type. There are a handful of games I will grind in. That's one of them. And it FILLS ME WITH GLEE.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #33 on: June 16, 2005, 08:10:00 AM

The movie's not really worth the trouble unless you enjoy watching horrendously blurry movies of someone navigating menus to the tune of The Prodigy's Firestarter....on firmware 1.5!

Not that it matters, but the song is Rage Against the Machine's "Wake Up" from The Matrix soundtrack. Firestarter is a much better song IMO.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: June 16, 2005, 08:11:56 AM

The first movie was Firestarter.
The second movie was Wake up.

Aen was referring to the first movie.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: You had me at Hello World.  
Jump to: