Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:50:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: City of Villians 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: City of Villians  (Read 18000 times)
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #35 on: April 24, 2004, 04:12:56 PM

Another Lord Kitchener is born.

"He is not a great man. He is a great poster."

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 24, 2004, 04:48:28 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
 I wonder if this is what they're planning on implementing in City of Villians - the villians actually being the masterminds with a plethora of minions at their disposal.

That could be neat I guess - if playing a villan ended up being something like this or this then I'd be throughly impressed by the level of ambition.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 24, 2004, 09:08:45 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
There's been some discussions amongst the players on the beta boards about having an archetype built around working through third parties.

DAoC Theurgist gone wild? :)

The paucity of pets in CoH is a another beacon of light for the game. They're there, but it seems like only at the highest levels. I'd very much prefer it stay that way. Pets screw everything up.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: April 24, 2004, 10:53:47 PM

Besides the crowd control type of powers, my biggest concern with PVP in this game is HP. I want the fights to LAST, even with crowd control. I want the fights to feel somewhat epic, since we are no longer dealing with minions. Whether that means cutting down damage for PVP, or what, I'm not sure.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #39 on: April 25, 2004, 10:17:12 AM

Haemish, Power Prestige Defense ?
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 26, 2004, 09:26:33 AM

If they come out with pvp they will need to add some lines of mez/hold resistance. There are Inspirations that do this but there would need to be some powers available to do this as well.

Many mobs already have them. All bosses and some LT's you need to land root twice before it takes effect and holds work in a similar fashion. Also there are abilitys to remove holds once they land but there are very few that make mezes land less.

Most tanks do however have a resist power vs mez things like wet ice for the ice tanks.

As long as heros and villans are treated like boss mobs for pvp hold/root checks it really should not be that bad. It would also mean more people would choose things like medicin power pool stimulant.

It would be pretty nifty if villans got minion powers that allowed them to produce or control lackies.

Kaid
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #41 on: April 26, 2004, 09:58:51 AM

Villans definitely need some lackeys, though I'd make it dependent on origins. People like the Joker is a very minion-oriented character, but I don't see guys like Venom or Bullseye using them much.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 27, 2004, 12:57:53 AM

To be fair, thinking about the cc thing a little more, there are quite a few of powers that either increase resistance to, or cure mez/stun/root/dizzy. You don't tend to take them when building a character for pve, but if they were considered important for pvp probably more people would be interested.

Maybe it won't be all that bad - after all, you don't end up mezzed for that long when mobs use cc on you right now.

Certainly we aren't looking at anything as out of control as a DAoC launch chain mez/stun situation.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 27, 2004, 06:52:57 AM

Yes most of the tank sets now that I look at them more closely do have usually one power designed to shurg off holds/sleeps/stuns. Wet ice from the ice armor set is one of the nicer ones and really shrugs cc effects off.

I would not want to go one on one pvp in city of heros but group vs group could be pretty fun.

kaid
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 27, 2004, 07:19:30 AM

Quote from: kaid
I would not want to go one on one pvp in city of heros...

kaid

You'd get one shotted from a roof top by an energy blaster with sniper shot and build up.  It's a one trick pony so if you were in a group then that blaster would get creamed unless maybe he was using super speed and did hit and runs.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 27, 2004, 07:25:41 AM

Quote from: Murgos
You'd get one shotted from a roof top by an energy blaster with sniper shot and build up.  It's a one trick pony so if you were in a group then that blaster would get creamed unless maybe he was using super speed and did hit and runs.

In case you don't recognize the profile from every other MMOG ever: that sniper is going to have stealth, as well as a bot account logged on the other side of the map with Teleport Friend ready to go.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #46 on: April 27, 2004, 07:36:04 AM

Quote from: Alrindel

In case you don't recognize the profile from every other MMOG ever: that sniper is going to have stealth, as well as a bot account logged on the other side of the map with Teleport Friend ready to go.

Hmm.. could be used as a good group tactic also... have a flyer up in the sky above the group ready to cast Teleport Enemy and drop them from the height.  Into the middle of the group for the easy kill... good way to get rid of controllers.. but probably a one shot tactic only...

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 27, 2004, 07:44:11 AM

The same could also be said for the controller. Take invis and take teleport. You see said sniper port behind his back and slap a hold on him. Sniper blasts have a long windup so if you see the attack coming it is not trough to intrupt it.

Also if you see a sniper and you cannot close range jump behind a fence or a wall. Sniper shots have TWO line of sight checks one to initiate the power and one to land the power. Sniper shots are powerful but they also have many limitations.

kaid
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #48 on: April 27, 2004, 11:17:15 AM

Quote from: kaid
Sniper shots have TWO line of sight checks one to initiate the power and one to land the power.

Sounds like a pain for PVE, but thats REALLY cool for PVP.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #49 on: April 27, 2004, 11:19:07 AM

So I went to gamestop today and picked up CoH.

Along with their CoH boxes, Gamestop received preorder information for City of Villians.

$49.99, due out middle of November.

Original game required and CoV will be another complete city for Villians to adventure in with crossover areas for fighting Heroes.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 27, 2004, 11:48:41 AM

I still want my damn instanced pvp missions.
insanitykid87

Email
Reply #51 on: January 07, 2005, 05:59:30 AM

hey whats up guys, i was just wondering what the realese date for COV is....i'm loving COH right now with that new update they just set up HOLY CRAP I LOVE IT!!!! to bad none of my chars are lvl 50 yet.....anyway if anyone knows then just reply to the post, thanks a lot
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 07, 2005, 06:28:17 AM

Another great showing for the homestate of myself and Schild.

By going to google and typing in "City of Villains release date" and then ENTER, I managed to solve your great query in 3.2 seconds.

Gasmespot says 8/05.  Others say 4/05.  Take your pick.  And please take some capital letters, commas, and periods from the grammar box on the way out.

Thanks.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 07, 2005, 06:30:40 AM

Q4.

Maybe.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 07, 2005, 06:39:31 AM

Quote from: Mesozoic
And please take some capital letters, commas, and periods from the grammar box on the way out.

Don't forget my favorite trick; the overuse of semicolons.

A)  No one really knows how they're used, so if at any point I feel I need to use some form of punctuation a semicolon usually does nicely.

B)  I figure maybe I can revive this long abandoned punctuation mark.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #55 on: January 07, 2005, 07:28:17 AM

Oh c'mon, semi-colons are not complicated. They are used to connect two independent clauses OR to separate items in a list that have commas already.

Example 1
Boog arrived at work early and started shooting people; two customers survived.

Yes, a period would work too.

Example 2
While Boog was on the lam, he hid out in Utica, NY; Lancaster, PA; and Tupelo, MS.

Clearly, using commas to separate those places would be cumbersome.

I have never played WoW.
schild
Administrator

Reply #56 on: January 07, 2005, 07:30:24 AM

Quote from: Big Gulp
B)  I figure maybe I can revive this long abandoned punctuation mark.

Pfft, try reviving the eńe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #57 on: January 07, 2005, 09:24:35 AM

Damn you for making me use this two days in a row.

dEOS
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 13, 2005, 02:29:39 AM

The more I think of it, the more I believe it will be impossible to have a balanced PvP game with the PvE classes from CoH. They'll probably need to come up with totally different classes.

d

CoH - Freedom
WoW - EU Servers - Sargeras [French-PvP]
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 13, 2005, 04:29:51 AM

It'll be tough.  I expect that the villains will need totally different powersets and classes to make it work.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 13, 2005, 04:44:57 AM

Quote from: dEOS
The more I think of it, the more I believe it will be impossible to have a balanced PvP game with the PvE classes from CoH. They'll probably need to come up with totally different classes.

d

I have nightmares about my superjumping tank chasing a flying controller all over Faultline, me being imune to his holds and stuns, him being too far up for me to punce.

Please... Make it stop.

Wiiiiii!
Pineapple
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 13, 2005, 09:44:24 AM

Quote from: Rodent

I have nightmares about my superjumping tank chasing a flying controller all over Faultline, me being imune to his holds and stuns, him being too far up for me to punce.

Please... Make it stop.

CoH's downfall could be if they try to cross balance the classes against each other for PvP. The dreaded PVP requirement, the bane of proper class balancing in a game where you PvE to level.

What they should do is borrow an idea from EQ, and make PVP specific changes that only affect PVP actions. Example would be how you cannot fear in PVP, while fear still works fine in PvE.

People might bitch about how it breaks the immersion to not be able to fear a player, but can fear monsters. Too bad, the seperation between PvE and PVP balance should exist in actual design. They are different, treat them differently.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #62 on: January 13, 2005, 10:28:50 AM

I will absolutely play again for CoV.  I wouldn't mind having a guild of 5th Column-esque characters, either, like we were going to do before.  Maybe my character is still around, Damezerstörung.  I bet we can even get Prince Harry to join.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #63 on: January 13, 2005, 01:47:56 PM

Small update:

Recent interview, Statesman said that the archetypes for City of Villains would be:
Brute
Stalker
Enforcer
Mastermind

He said that these are not duplicates of the CoH archetypes, but they are similar.

Lord Recluse, the designer for CoV, said that they do plan to allow a "Fallen Hero" system.  Or at least, they want to do it.  Who knows if that will change the character's archetype, but from what Recluse is saying it sounds like he wants it to be a core "You are evil now" change, rather than recreating the whole character.

They've repeatedly said that there is no determined release date.  Any date you see is purely speculation.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #64 on: January 13, 2005, 06:46:07 PM

Stalker and Mastermind? Yes, I'll be signing up for CoH again - assuming the mastermind has something like dual stilletos or other ninja goodies. Mastermind had best be a controller that works like an RTS hero. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH THE POSSIBILITIES... That will never come to fruition.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #65 on: January 13, 2005, 07:47:46 PM

imo....

brute=

stalker=

enforcer=
not a clue

mastermind=
[/img]

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #66 on: January 13, 2005, 08:12:51 PM

I was thinking Enforcer would be like Cable or Forge. But bad. They'll just be more blasters. Guaranteed.

As far as mastermind goes, if these classes all end up being proxies of the CoH classes. I'll just be a pile of pissed.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 14, 2005, 12:16:29 AM

I don't really see how they can avoid proxies for the hero ATs.

But I do expect the powerset choices to be unique.

The powerset categories that define an AT; Defence, Melee Offence, Ranged Offence, Control, Pets, Buff, and Debuff are so generic that it's hard to see CoV ATs not being made up the same way.

My first half thought out guess at a possibility...

Brute = Defence + Melee
Stalker = Control + Melee
Enforcer = Ranged + Debuff
Mastermind = Buff/Pets + Control

Though I equally wouldn't be remotely surprised if they are direct AT copies with new powersets.

Brute = Tanker/Scrapper
Stalker = Controller
Enforcer = Blaster
Mastermind = Defender

schild
Administrator

Reply #68 on: January 14, 2005, 12:25:12 AM

Stalker = Rogue = Scrapper
Brute = Tank
Enforcer = Blaster
Mastermind = Controller

There are no "Defenders" for evil. It is the paladin. The word represents too much good. Defender-style powers will be exclusively the domain of secondary powersets.

No - this isn't real information, it's just what seems to be what's happening.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 14, 2005, 12:46:22 AM

If true (and it might be), then there will be a wailing and gnashing of teeth like you have never seen (since the last time at least).

The most powerful group in the game is 8 defenders (something like 3 Rad 1 Storm 1 FF 2 Kin 1 Emp, all with psy secondary). If you are designing a group from scratch in pve, there is an argument for adding controllers, but the massive amount of status protection available to players will make cc moot in pvp.

The reason for this is that with a full set of defenders it is not hard to cap damage, defence, resistence, status protection and accuracy on every member, then on top of that you have a group where everyone can do ranged PSYCHIC damage (people are starting to work out that defenders do perfectly adequate damage once fully slotted), everyone can heal other members (most can do it pbaoe style) several members can run powers that prevent enemies reaching melee range, and additionally you'll have a ton of buffs for +run speed, +end, +recharge, +regen, etc etc.

The downside is that you have to organise the group before you can do anything. As in all MMOGs, organised people will dominate PvP, and as a result I fully expect 8 man */psy defender groups to become the first pvp fotm.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: City of Villians  
Jump to: