Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:51:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Nameless One releases stuff for free 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Nameless One releases stuff for free  (Read 14500 times)
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

on: May 21, 2005, 01:24:46 PM

The latest and greatest edition of Battle Cruiser 3000 can apparently be downloaded and "enjoyed" for free now.

http://www.3000ad.com/gnn/index.php

Quote from: Serek Dmart
Continuing the tradition of releasing my games for free on the net after
their shelf life has expired and marking the imminent release of Universal
Combat - A World Apart, I have today released the full and latest version of
Battlecruiser Millennium.

The only question I have is: Why does he do this during E3 when his announcement is guaranteed to drown in the flood of info?

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 01:34:29 PM

You have no idea how important he thinks he is.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 02:35:52 PM

Someone told me that after all the bullshit and infinite patches to get it working, the end result was actually kinda fun.  But I'm too afraid to find out.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 02:54:49 PM

I'm too afraid the rest of my system would reject my HDD if I tried to install that thing.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 02:56:17 PM

Someone told me that after all the bullshit and infinite patches to get it working, the end result was actually kinda fun.  But I'm too afraid to find out.

Give it to Haemish, he'll try anything.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 03:00:11 PM

I don't think he'll try this.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 03:00:38 PM

Why would you wish such a pox upon such a dear friend?

Give it to Poptart instead, she'll have plenty of time to try it in between bouts of web design.  evil

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 03:04:39 PM

Why would you wish such a pox upon such a dear friend?

Give it to Poptart instead, she'll have plenty of time to try it in between bouts of web design.  evil

I think she's still catassing socializing her way through the latest EQ expansion.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 05:26:57 AM

I'm dissapointed, the title of this thread lead me to belive this was going to be about Torment.

Wiiiiii!
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 05:40:28 AM

I'm dissapointed, the title of this thread lead me to belive this was going to be about Torment.

Oh, we certainly are talking about torment...  evil

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 05:45:27 AM

Rofl, no, unfortunately not. The Nameless One, you see, is a character in a video game. How can he possibly release something for free?

I wonder if it's ok to dislike Obsidian for all eternity for not buying the Planescape license lock stock and barrel.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 06:50:29 AM

You know, with all this time to have come up with bugfixes and patches, and with a price tag of zero dollars, it COULD turn out to be a nice little diversion.  Let's find someone who's never heard of Serek Dmart, and get them to play it.  Get a fresh perspective.

Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 09:08:46 AM

One visit to the support pages of his website will surely cure anyone of playing the game. 

My memory was sycophants were lined up to the right.  Anyone who can't get it working is banned.  Has anything changed?  (My blood pressure won't let me go back to that site.)
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 22, 2005, 10:12:48 AM

I downloaded it.

I unpacked the .rar file.

I unpack the unpacked .rar file into a setup.*

This file unpacks the installer.

I install the game, spend the next 30 minutes locating the temp files and delete them.

I start the game.

Select the tutorial.

I sit in my spaceship. something tells me I have a "urgent message".

I look at  dozens of buttons, no clue what they do.

I try to recieve this message for 5 minutes.

/uninstall

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #14 on: May 22, 2005, 12:47:56 PM

Was there some manner of documentation available?

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 22, 2005, 01:37:48 PM

There was, but I could not bring myself to reading the 120+ pages of the pdf file.

At least there was an index.

But no tutorial ...

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2005, 03:04:40 PM

There was, but I could not bring myself to reading the 120+ pages of the pdf file.

But no tutorial ...

Guild Wars is 144 without an index, though to be fair they take the 'tutorial' to a rather unusual extreme

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 03:19:05 PM

I downloaded it.

I unpacked the .rar file.

I unpack the unpacked .rar file into a setup.*

This file unpacks the installer.

I install the game, spend the next 30 minutes locating the temp files and delete them.

I start the game.

Select the tutorial.

I sit in my spaceship. something tells me I have a "urgent message".

I look at  dozens of buttons, no clue what they do.

I try to recieve this message for 5 minutes.

/uninstall

Best review ever.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 05:40:22 AM

But no tutorial ...

Guild Wars is 144 without an index, though to be fair they take the 'tutorial' to a rather unusual extreme

Guild Wars also provides tutorial information in the game to the player directly the first time you enter the game. BC does not do this. I have a friend who is a Smart proponent and he said that if people weren't so lazy and would just read the manual, they would find the game enjoyable. I challenged him to do that and then demo the game to me. He stopped reading the manual around page 20 and could barely figure out what to do during the 30 minutes that I patiently watched him hunt around the game for the appropriate commands. At that point, I realized that while he may have done some nice stuff with his games, I don't have the time to devote to learning how to play it. It's an unfortunate fact, but for me, games are meant to be leisure acitivities and are increasingly rare in my life due to lack of spare time. But I digress. The BC games are great for space sim hobbyists with the time to devote to them.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 09:40:34 AM

I can see little has changed in the BattleCruiser domain.  I have been told that a key element in diagnosing sociopathic disorders is the inability to learn from one's mistakes.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 23, 2005, 11:00:00 AM

Is there a story behind why we don't name him, or is He Who Must Not Be Named a nickname, or what?

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 23, 2005, 11:03:09 AM

They are jealous of his almighty game-dev, sex-god, uber-PR skills. Thus, he cannot be named.

- Viin
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #22 on: May 23, 2005, 11:06:51 AM

The real reason is the fact that he has some power from another universe where he can sense when people mention his name. When this happens he reigns death upon the helpless forum goers.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #23 on: May 23, 2005, 11:23:16 AM

Awesome!

Serek Dmart!  Serek Dmart!  Serek Dmart!  Serek Dmart!

I bid you to appear!

Serek Dmart!  Serek Dmart!  Serek Dmart!  Serek Dmart! 

Appear and smite mine enemies!

Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #24 on: May 23, 2005, 11:41:24 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble Windup, but I think you have to be in a bathrrom, lights off, staring at the mirror for that to work.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 23, 2005, 01:39:54 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble Windup, but I think you have to be in a bathrrom, lights off, staring at the mirror for that to work.

I thought that was how The Nameless one summoned his Doctorate.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 23, 2005, 01:55:54 PM

I thought that was how The Nameless one summoned his Doctorate.
Why make the effort? Just keep saying you have a Ph. D. and yell at anyone who says different.

I seem to have read that back on the Usenet group c.s.i.p.g.space-sim, our dear Dr. Smart tended to respond to EVERY article mentioning either himself or BC/BC3k. And often threatening people with legal action and whatnot. Raining frogs, too, maybe.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 23, 2005, 05:44:27 PM

I believe that he also has invaded and launched his minions at various game forums over the years also. 

You could not speak his name because of his well known ability to find any reference to himself and either proceed to shut down all discussion or launch threats of litigation.

His name is well deserved.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 23, 2005, 06:16:37 PM

Him and his apprentice Cleve M. Blakemoor, the two of them together nearly destroyed all conversation in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* for close to 5 years.

You know?  In some ways those two are at least partially responsible for internet boards like this ones existence.  There was so much noise on those forums from the constant flaming that people had to find somewhere else to go talk about the games.  Bruce is a dilettante next to those two at turning conversations into something about himself regardless of topic.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #29 on: May 23, 2005, 07:38:06 PM

Dear Nameless One and Apprentice(s),

Thanks for your loving flames, trolls, lies, and just generally being a complete shitcock.

Sincerely, f13.net

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 24, 2005, 07:47:47 AM

Is there a story behind why we don't name him, or is He Who Must Not Be Named a nickname, or what?

Because he spends too much of his life googling his own name.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 24, 2005, 07:49:26 AM

Though obviously not quite enough of his own life to prevent him creating piles of crap like, for instance all his games.

I'm not entirely sure it's even safe to say the name of his products out loud.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #32 on: May 24, 2005, 08:41:54 AM

Goddamnit, you've linked to his web site from here. That means he'll eventually check his referrer logs and be driven back here.

I'm tempted to install the games just to have actual evidence of his nutbuggery.

schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: May 24, 2005, 08:47:12 AM

Every time you play one of his games, you take a piece of Serek Dmart with you.

I don't know what that means, but go ahead. Nothing's stopping you.  shocked
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #34 on: May 24, 2005, 08:53:07 AM

Yes, good sense is stopping me.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Nameless One releases stuff for free  
Jump to: