Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:43:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Guildwars Naziism 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guildwars Naziism  (Read 23834 times)
e_bortion
Terracotta Army

on: May 21, 2005, 10:08:08 AM

I had been playing all morning when some guy was selling black dye. I asked him how much he wanted and he said 2.5k, to which I replied "HAHAHAHA thats what the vendor is selling it for!". Not 5 minutes later I tried to switch characters and it said my account was blocked due to "inappropriate behavior" ... "will be blocked for several hours". How inappropriate is "HAHAHAHAHA"? I did not say a word to anybody else ALL DAY so this HAD to be what it was about.

I wonder how many people are going to lose their accounts due to this Naziism? Needless to say I am a little pissed about this, and this highly affects my opinion of this game.
e_bortion
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 10:19:36 AM

Look at this crap!

http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=343528&page=1&pp=10

What the hell is so offensive about "Aborted fetus"??

I guess they locked my account for using the name "E Bortion". Last time I checked that wasn't even a word.

You have a game where you walk around using satanic magic, killing hordes of people and monsters, carrying their looted intestines in your bags,  yet ABORTION seems to be offensive.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 10:22:39 AM by e_bortion »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 12:49:11 PM

People are stupid, duh.

This is why I reserve Stupid Names for throw-away PvP characters.

Hopefully "Veronica Zemanova" isn't deemed "offensive."

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 01:10:32 PM

Don't worry, last night I saw someone called Avena Leet.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 04:50:06 AM

My guess would be that either the dye seller or a random passerby reported your name out of spite or oversensitivity, respectively.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 12:46:43 PM

When dye drops I just leave it on the ground.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 05:23:20 PM

Do you have any clue how much the name "Aborted Fetus" (or by extension E Bortion) would piss of a mother? Seriously. It would piss one off more than "Cleveland Steamer" would. Dye Trader was a mother, pure and simple.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 06:44:39 PM

Here's a tip: don't use stupid names.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 08:39:11 PM

We've had this discussion before with other games like WoW and I'm all in favor of the developers/publishers cracking down on people who insist on coming up with stupid and/or offensive names. However, in defense of the people getting banned in Guild Wars, there's nothing on the character creation screens which explains the naming policy for the game. You have to go to the Website and dig around their Support FAQ system before it is described. You would think that such a draconian policy (most MMOs just make you change it rather than ban you outright) would be prominately displayed during character creation and on their Website.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 12:01:04 AM

Agreed.  I can't support stupid names like that (I'm gonna name myself shithead, huh huh huh) but I really can't see banning people for something like that... just stick them with something like "Retarded Player 19383."

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 01:20:12 AM

Agreed.  I can't support stupid names like that (I'm gonna name myself shithead, huh huh huh) but I really can't see banning people for something like that... just stick them with something like "Retarded Player 19383."

Thats ... brilliant. And I'm serious here.   On the one hand the perps hide their crimes behind a new name, but on the other they don't chose their new name and the fact that they will bear a mark, in the form of their new name, that shows that they did SOMETHING stupid, will hurt their prospectives.  No good way of deailing with repeat offenders or wrongful accusations though, except through multiple teirs of names, which would be a poor deterrent.  But its a better start than most.

And imagine the unintended hilarity!
A: Heal 19383 now!
19383 dies
B: GOD DAMN IT! I said heal 19383, not 18393 you n00b!
B:

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 05:17:39 AM

Guild Wars just asks for stupid names with its first name/surname combination, together with the disposble aspect of PVP chars, and its FPS like setup with PVP. Ive used Anu Sol and Combi Canesten (and worse) amongst others, im sure ill dig em out again next time i delete/create a new character. Naming policies are useless in a game like this, you might as well try and enforce serious army-like names on Counterstrike servers.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 08:33:51 AM

Don't be an idiot - it is in their interest to ban your account so you go buy a new one.

e_bortion
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 07:45:34 AM

Don't be an idiot - it is in their interest to ban your account so you go buy a new one.

Being pissed because my character was deleted for having a name that isnt even a word is idiotic? get real. This is more than just the game, it's about oversensivitive, over-PC fucktarded americans who think everything should be happy fantasy land with nothing offensive in their sight.

If you knew how to read you would see that my account was not banned, it was locked for 5 hours and I was forced to delete the character.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 07:47:13 AM by e_bortion »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 08:00:34 AM

They should introduce the ATitD system.

Someone in early ATitD named themselves 'Douchebag'. The player law system allowed someone to propose the law....

"The citizen of Eqypt known as Douchebag shall henceforth be known as Flower"

The law passed with one of the largest majorities ever seen in the game.

Flower quit pretty soon after the law was implemented.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 08:26:17 AM

Being pissed because my character was deleted for having a name that isnt even a word is idiotic? get real. This is more than just the game, it's about oversensivitive, over-PC fucktarded americans who think everything should be happy fantasy land with nothing offensive in their sight.

If you knew how to read you would see that my account was not banned, it was locked for 5 hours and I was forced to delete the character.

It might have nothing to do with Americans. Don't be that guy.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 09:42:42 AM

I'm sorry you are a victim in this. I live a couple miles away from Arenanet, so here's what I will do. Grab a videocamera and a friend, go to your local mall, introduce yourself as ebortion, and explain how clever it is to everyone going in or out for an hour and ask if it is offensive. I'll hand deliver the tape to their office. Together we'll get your name back!

I'm glad to know that using your logic I can tell you to Sucmeoff Dikhed because it isnt a real word either. Not to Bruce, but I just see that you said locked and blocked. Don't see the outcome until you tell me I can't read.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 12:24:35 PM by Furiously »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 12:17:29 PM

I dread that Crotchpheasant may never see time in Guild Wars again. I should try to log him in just to see if he's banned.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 12:19:22 PM

I remember Flower.  That was pretty funny.

Come on EB, cut the crap.  You knew damn well that a name like "Aborted Fetus" would be controversial.  You chose to push the envelope and got bitch slapped.  Your righteous indignation is disingenuous and tiresome.

"Me am play gods"
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 12:23:16 PM

I remember Flower.  That was pretty funny.

Come on EB, cut the crap.  You knew damn well that a name like "Aborted Fetus" would be controversial.  You chose to push the envelope and got bitch slapped.  Your righteous indignation is disingenuous and tiresome.

No, Aborted Fetus was his example of someone else getting banned for a similar name. EB's gripe is that since "E Bortion" isn't a real word, his stupidity shouldn't be punished.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 12:24:58 PM

When I see the word "bortion," I think of campfires and marshmallows and all things nice.

I don't know what's wrong with you assholes. undecided
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 12:53:57 PM

I still stand behind my point.

"Me am play gods"
Llava
Contributor

Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 01:15:10 PM

Well:

1)  These are the rules.  You broke the rules.  You got punished.  Boo hoo.
2)  Kids play this game.  There is no monthly fee, so kids are FAR MORE LIKELY to be playing this than any other MMOG.  I can't blame them for strictly enforcing a naming policy.
3)  E Bortion?  Really?  You thought that name was clever enough to fight for?  I mean, it's not like you're not allowed to have joke names.  Just not something that makes reference to killing fetuses.
4)  It's funny that you complain that Americans are to blame for this.  Personally, I'd say your "I should be exempt from the rules!" attitude is much more "American" than the "PC fucktardery."  YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS THE BALL LICKER.
5)  Was this a roleplaying character or a PvP character?  If it was PvP, I have no problem with the deletion.  If it was roleplaying, I'd say they should've just renamed you something fairly retarded instead of your chosen, brutally retarded name.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 01:47:03 PM

I don't care what people name themselves.  It's hard to express in words how little I care.  Getting banned for your name?  Don't care.   Got arrested, sued, flogged for a silly name?  Still not caring.

I think I'm in one of those not giving a shit slumps again.  I'll try to care later.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: May 24, 2005, 01:53:55 PM

I think I'm in one of those not giving a shit slumps again.  I'll try to care later.

Do you want to be an admin? You're perfect!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005, 02:00:52 PM

Everytime I cry out for a hug... you threaten me with a job!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 02:02:03 PM

Everytime I cry out for a hug... you threaten me with a job!

You don't need a hug. You need to be dead inside like the rest of us orange names.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005, 04:15:57 AM

Quote from: ArenaNet Community Relations Manager
We realize that some will disagree with the name policies of Guild Wars. But I can assure you they are far more liberal than many other companies out there. There were quite a number that rolled in today that we did not block, in the interests of allowing a wide variety of names and a liberal approach to self expression.

Now, if you wonder why we don't warn, or offer to change names, or in other ways hand-hold those who skirt the rules of reasonable discourse with names that call out sex acts or body parts or racist concepts, stop and think what that sort of service costs. And consider how few really need it. And how those few who need it need it again, and again, and again.

I would estimate that 95% of players never have a single disciplinary mark against their accounts. Their only calls on a company's support team may be for technical issues or account concerns (lost password, email not seeming to function, etc). We are handling all those very promptly and as thoroughly as possible. But would you honestly expect that we can offer personalized service for the remaining 5% -- the line crossers and the steady drains on manhours -- and all without a monthly fee?

Raise you hands, everyone who is willing to pay $15 a month so that those with poor judgment, an infantile or purile sense of humour or a lack of social grace can be hand-tended, babysat, warned, coddled, and name-changed on a regular basis.

I vote "no monthly fee" coupled with a reasonable policy about names and in-game behavior. We offer both. Read the Conduct Breaches and Outcomes document for more information. I'm certainly willing to discuss the policy, but I honestly feel it's reasonable, fair, and effective and it's going to take a lot to convince me that we need to change it.

Quote from: ArenaNet Community Relations Manager
The rules were posted when the game launched. Perhaps before, in fact. And don't worry, the financial situation doesn't equate to "less service," it simply means that we are focusing our efforts on that which is the most valuable to the community at large and not chasing our tails in dealing with those with poor judgment who think that "do overs" should be the norm. How about we hire some programmers and artists for the expansion pack -- which benefits all players -- rather than bring on a dozen CS members to send out "Oh, my, please change your name" emails.

And in general, let me say this: I'm a gamer. All I know you by, before we speak, is the character and the name you show me. Frankly, if someone is about body parts and sex acts, I not only don't want to meet him, I really don't feel I want to share the game world with him. I'm grateful that my company is willing to take a position on this. And I think that as people recognize the consequences of poor choices, and how broad their options truly are, the need for blocks will drop dramatically. And with that, we all benefit.

Personally I suspect there will be one or two people with genuinely borderline names, and I'd have thought a name change on first offence wouldn't be *that* hard to operate. But hey, it's not as if the grind in GW is espeicially long.

And there is a downside to naming restrictions. If stupid people don't give their characters stupid names, how am I supposed to identify them and avoid inviting them to my group?

Final point: blimey, the ArenaNet PR person doesn't half get free rein with their 'tude. This is practically pre-employment tweety.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 04:27:11 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 25, 2005, 05:31:32 AM

If hassles for name choice are that bad, move to the EU server. No one gives a shit there. Its only uptight arseholes that report a name they might spot in a town, for 10 seconds, and then never see again, and that doesnt seem to happen on EU servers /shrug.  "PC fucktardery" is a product of North American culture, depsite what some people say. Only the blatantly obscene or offensive will be spotted, puns and entrendres are more likely to be applauded.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #29 on: May 25, 2005, 08:54:21 AM

I saw him in the tombs yesterday with the name "E Bort."  Well, I guess it was him. He didn't respond. Oh, the shame!

"Me am play gods"
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #30 on: May 25, 2005, 09:28:46 AM

Those were pretty cool replies by the Community guy, but I fear they are going to have to ban allot of accounts because some of that 5% will do nothing but go ape-shit and create pvp characters over and over with the most repulsive names they can think of when they get their ub3r lvl20 rp character named BungHole Liquor or whatever deleted.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 25, 2005, 09:37:48 AM

Here's hoping they have a 2 or 3 black mark system where they say...Thanks for playing, you are no longer welcome here.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #32 on: May 25, 2005, 09:49:26 AM

Here's hoping they have a 2 or 3 black mark system where they say...Thanks for playing, you are no longer welcome here.

Always got to pick on the black mark don'tcha.  What's the matter, blue and purple marks not good enough for you?  Friggin' colorist bastard...

:-p
Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
e_bortion
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 26, 2005, 07:13:41 AM

Well:

1)  These are the rules.  You broke the rules.  You got punished.  Boo hoo.

1: Rules that can only be found by digging around in their support site. I bet you haven't seen them yourself. You probably didn't even know anything about their naming policy until you read my post. Thanks for your typically Generican remark, you have helped illustrate my point.

2)  Kids play this game.  There is no monthly fee, so kids are FAR MORE LIKELY to be playing this than any other MMOG.  I can't blame them for strictly enforcing a naming policy.

2: Kids will be exposed to the world anyway. If parents don't like kids hearing the word "Abortion" then perhaps they should remove them from school and lock them in a cement bunker deep beneath the earth. Maybe they will turn out to be actual decent people instead of some pea-brained partially-concious waste of perfectly good fecal matter like you.

3)  E Bortion?  Really?  You thought that name was clever enough to fight for?  I mean, it's not like you're not allowed to have joke names.  Just not something that makes reference to killing fetuses.

3: Since when am I fighting for anything? Is that what the little voices in your head are telling you? I suppose you should really scroll up and reread my posts before making semi-alert halfwitted comments on things that aren't even there, although I do enjoy a good trolling. Thank you for making yourself an easy target.

4)  It's funny that you complain that Americans are to blame for this.  Personally, I'd say your "I should be exempt from the rules!" attitude is much more "American" than the "PC fucktardery."  YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS THE BALL LICKER.

4: I reiterate - learn to fucking read. I didn't blame Americans for losing my guildwars name. I simply stated that
american PC-ness has gone way too far. If you find everything offensive why don't you just go live in a unibomber shack in the middle of nowhere, and we will all be a little happier.  By the way, are you one of those people who stand on your porch next to your flag and talk about how you love america all day?

5)  Was this a roleplaying character or a PvP character?  If it was PvP, I have no problem with the deletion.  If it was roleplaying, I'd say they should've just renamed you something fairly retarded instead of your chosen, brutally retarded name.
Or perhaps i could retardedly pick a single retarded adjective to retardedly use every  retarded alternating retarded word because I am too much of a fucking retard to come up with anything retardedly better.

Anyway if you want to post just to troll or flame, you should try a little harder. I suggest you stop plaigerizng "Big Book of Insults" and start making more appropriate comments rather than posting to see your own typing.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 07:19:37 AM by e_bortion »
e_bortion
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 26, 2005, 07:16:34 AM

I saw him in the tombs yesterday with the name "E Bort."  Well, I guess it was him. He didn't respond. Oh, the shame!

Yeah that was me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Guildwars Naziism  
Jump to: