Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:28:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Episode 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Episode 3  (Read 228579 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

on: March 12, 2005, 01:57:36 PM

"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?"

Who else wanted Palpatine to pull the top of his shirt up over his head at this point, and tell Sam Jackson that he would pay for angering the almighty bunghole?  But anyway, everything in there confirmed the spoilers I've read, and so I will say with confidence:

This is going to own.  This is going to make Empire look like flowers and bunnies.  The streets will flow with the blood of the naysayers.  You heard it here first.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 12:02:02 PM by Shockeye »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 02:19:56 PM

This is going to own.  This is going to make Empire look like flowers and bunnies.  The streets will flow with the blood of the naysayers.  You heard it here first.

Have you ever been correct about anything in your miserable, ill-begotten life?

It's directed by Lucas.  It's written by Lucas.  If that isn't empirical evidence that it will suck completely I don't know what is.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 02:53:43 PM

Every time something cool is about to happen, Lucas will cut away to a scene of Amidala confiding her doubts about Anakin in Jar Jar.  Wait and see.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 03:41:52 PM

Heh, why do I always find myself agreeing with WUA? I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I think it's going to be good.

Then again, maybe that's why I'm not so hard on it. Seems like it's only the Star Wars fans that want to hate it.

Word of advice: Lower your expecations a bit. You might enjoy yourself  smiley
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 04:02:43 PM

It looks really cool, but a trailer for Episode II could have made it look really cool too by just showing the Kenobi/Jango fight and the big group of Jedi doing battle on Geonosis.  Does anyone have a link to the Episode II trailers?
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 04:22:08 PM

The trailer looks interesting, but really turns the conventional wisdom on the movies on its head.  So Vader was just this confused kid who thought he was doing the right thing by helping the government defend itself against a rebellion led by a group of Jedi who didn't let him into their cool club?  Seems to me that by the time of A New Hope he was quite happy blasting planets into space dust.  Perhaps that should have clued him in that he was on the wrong path.

Bruce
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 04:25:52 PM

The trailer looks interesting, but really turns the conventional wisdom on the movies on its head.  So Vader was just this confused kid who thought he was doing the right thing by helping the government defend itself against a rebellion led by a group of Jedi who didn't let him into their cool club?  Seems to me that by the time of A New Hope he was quite happy blasting planets into space dust.  Perhaps that should have clued him in that he was on the wrong path.

Bruce

No, it has more to do with a drawing.

:-D
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 05:47:59 PM

Wait a second. I've only seen the "teaser" trailer. Didn't realize that. Where can I download the new one? It would seem that there's only three types of people who have access to it (and I'm gonna laugh if any of you fall under one of these categories):

Those with an AOL subscription

Those with a Starwars.com subscription

Or those who watch the OC.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 05:50:47 PM by Stray »
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 06:13:34 PM

Or those who use Bittorrent
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 06:17:15 PM

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 08:20:53 PM

Or those who use Bittorrent

Or those who work in a movie theatre:  Every hour or so I can watch the trailer on the Big Screen with Theatre Sound if I time it right.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 09:14:07 PM

Well, there was a full spolier plot synopsis put out there a while back.  At first I didn't take it too seriously, but everything I've seen since then confirms what was in it.  Speaking with that in mind, I'll say that if there's a problem, it's that some of Anakin's actions in this episode are so unforgivably hideous (You don't think all those six-year old Jedi "younglings" survive, do you?) that they make the notion of his eventual "redemption" totally unacceptable.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 12, 2005, 09:32:20 PM

How can anyone even give a shit anymore? Seriously.

When all is said and done, SW will consist of one ok movie (SW), one pretty good one (Empire) and 4 shitty ones. This is Matrix territory now. What started pretty well is now a joke.

I don't care at all what happens, because SW has been dead for 15 years.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 09:39:55 PM

Star Wars, and it's fan collective, suck.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #14 on: March 12, 2005, 10:47:36 PM

Because most people don't take it as seriously as you do (or did)?
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #15 on: March 12, 2005, 10:58:02 PM

I'm not even going to bother seeing this one.

Eventually some people might come back and say 'by golly, it turned out to actually be an okay movie', and then I will see it.

Or I'll just skip it and miss out on the bitchfests. I'll stay at home and play Jedi Academy and pretend that I'm the main actor in a better movie. And have better saber action.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #16 on: March 12, 2005, 11:01:26 PM

Seems like it's only the Star Wars fans that want to hate it.

I like a few things from Star Wars:

Lightsabres
Jedi Mind Powers and other Force tricks, like telekinesis

And that's it.  Otherwise, the whole universe is a big "meh" and always has been to me.  I stand by my opinion that this film will suck.

Really, your theory is without merit.  Margalis certainly didn't come off as a big fanatic of the SW universe either, but you were quick to label him as such.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #17 on: March 12, 2005, 11:13:00 PM

Well you know, someone could post a picture of their kitten here, and 3/4 of the denizens would post about how much they hate it.  That aside, rest assured, you'll have a hard time believing that this one was written by the same guy who thought Ewoks and Jar-Jar and "Yippee!" were good ideas.   :-D

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 13, 2005, 12:16:07 AM

Because most people don't take it as seriously as you do (or did)?

Wait...huh? When did I take it seriously?

I owned a broken X-Wing I got in a garage sale as a kid. Other than that, not so much. I'm not a Star Wars fanboy by ANY stretch of the imagination. Like I said, the first movie was OK, the second was pretty good, the rest sucked. I just don't understand the continued interest.

I made the Matrix analogy for a reason. The first Matrix was really good. Second, not so much. Third was awful. If someone tells me that Matrix 4 has been announced my reaction will be "meh." Same with SW. It was kind of good, now it's not. All good things come to and end and the end for SW was literally over a decade ago.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 13, 2005, 04:14:39 AM

Crazy Ole' Maurice.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 13, 2005, 08:00:47 AM

Bruce

You just totally missed the entire concept of the light side and the dark side of the force didn't you? Well, really the entire mythic underpinings of the series seems to have gone over your head.

And yes, the 3rd one looks awesome.

On another note, the 3rd matrix didn't suck, most people are just too stupid to truly understand it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #21 on: March 13, 2005, 09:34:29 AM

On another note, the 3rd matrix didn't suck, most people are just too stupid to truly understand it.

I understood the whole philosophical/religious/myth thing, and I actually liked that part of it. What I didn't like about the sequels was Zion. I know it was necessary to get into that aspect of it, but I think they concentrated on it a bit too much, or perhaps just went about it in the wrong way. The sequels lost a lot of the charm that the first film had. The series had stopped becoming about the "Matrix".
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: March 13, 2005, 10:04:26 AM

Yea, religious subtext is HARD. Don't be so dumb. They aren't too stupid to understand it, the movie just wasn't very good. The shit you're talking about people "not understanding" was like a hit across the face with a five iron. Subtlety is not the Wachowski's best quality.

The 3rd Star Wars will suck. Lucas is a bad director.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #23 on: March 13, 2005, 10:09:06 AM

Uhh yah. Sure, pitty all of us here in stupid land.  That sounds like something a high school cheerleader would say.

Look, it was a horrible movie.  The last two were horrible movies.  They stopped being charming, atmospheric films and started being films that revolved around milking the same gimmicks that the first introduced.  If they would have made the last two less of a self masturbatory ode to tight leather clothing and more of what made the first so appealing, then it could have been saved.   All of those excessive 30 minute fight scenes were fucking retarded too.  If I can sum up what happened in the last half hour to hour of your movie in 3 words, you may have a problem.

Plus, the entire plotline with Agent Smith sucked.  I'm sure there wasn't a goddamn soul in the theatre that thought at the end of the first, "you know what I want... MORE HUGO WEAVING!!!"

-Rasix
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 13, 2005, 10:22:52 AM

You just totally missed the entire concept of the light side and the dark side of the force didn't you? Well, really the entire mythic underpinings of the series seems to have gone over your head.

Troll much?

Bruce
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 13, 2005, 10:32:03 AM

I understood the whole philosophical/religious/myth thing, and I actually liked that part of it. What I didn't like about the sequels was Zion. I know it was necessary to get into that aspect of it, but I think they concentrated on it a bit too much, or perhaps just went about it in the wrong way. The sequels lost a lot of the charm that the first film had. The series had stopped becoming about the "Matrix".

Zion was totally unneccesary. The only part on the 3 movies I hated was that whole rave scene. I've never voluntarily watched that scene again. I understand what they were trying to do but it bored me. So you've got the nail on the head with that part.

As for the other indignant replies, isn't this the forum where if people disagree with you they're stupid and/or uneducated mouth breathers? IE, if I like Halo 2 it's not because it's a fun game but because I've never played a real FPS before. If I dislike Artsy Fartsy movies it's because I'm a mouth breather who doesn't like "serious" movies. Etc. Heh...

I like the vast majority of you guys but damn, take yourselves seriously much?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 13, 2005, 10:37:14 AM

Troll much?

Bruce

Nope. You just made a totally silly commentary which told me you had no concept of the underlying mythos of Star Wars. Look, it's not a Greek epic, but it does have a mythos and Vader is at the center of this part of it. You may have just been trying to be silly and a smart ass which is all fine. However, if you weren't it tells me you haven't understood the movies at all.

Not a big deal, it's only a movie, but it is funny really.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 13, 2005, 10:50:02 AM

What does one fact have to do with the other ?  If everyone suddenly understood it, would it suck less ?

For Info :  I understood it all.  Every little nuance.  And guess what ?  Compared to the first one, 2 and 3 blew chunks.  Sure, they tried to make art.  Guess what else ?  The majority of the audience just wasn't interested.  They wanted more guns and kung-fu.

Why don't you get your self-important head out of your ass and stop being so fucking Elitist.  That's Schild Schtick.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 13, 2005, 11:00:57 AM

The 3rd matrix did suck, even if you understand it, the concept was fine, the storyarc was good enough, but the script, direction, and editing was fucking awful. (though not as awful as matrix 2)

The way to do the philosophical stuff properly is to use it to inform the action without stopping every quarter of a picosecond to explain it to the audience as if they are morons.

I suspect ep3 will be similar.

I'm expecting great visuals, great action, solid concept, acting that varies from crappy to excellent, and of course a fucking awful script. Though probably not as bad as number 2 (which imho was worse than number 1).

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #29 on: March 13, 2005, 11:07:24 AM

The 3rd Star Wars will suck. Lucas is a bad director.

But you're one of those art film fags that's actually seen an Oscar-nominated movie of the past five years besides Lord of the Rings.  You're required to hate everything cool.

And, oh yes, this will be cool.  I invite you to naysay, for it only increases the magnitude of cock you shall have to eat in two months.  Buahahahahahaha.   wink

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 13, 2005, 11:24:05 AM

Nope. You just made a totally silly commentary which told me you had no concept of the underlying mythos of Star Wars. Look, it's not a Greek epic, but it does have a mythos and Vader is at the center of this part of it. You may have just been trying to be silly and a smart ass which is all fine. However, if you weren't it tells me you haven't understood the movies at all.

This is ironic, since it is your post that, in actuality, wasis a totally silly commentary which told me you had no concept of the underlying mythos of Star Wars.  You may have just been trying to be silly and a smart ass which is all fine.  However, if you weren't it tells me you haven't understood the movies at all.

Bruce
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 13, 2005, 11:29:17 AM

This is ironic, since it is your post that, in actuality, wasis a totally silly commentary which told me you had no concept of the underlying mythos of Star Wars.  You may have just been trying to be silly and a smart ass which is all fine.  However, if you weren't it tells me you haven't understood the movies at all.

Bruce

I'd reply but this thread would end up in the Den in a nanosecond. So you win. I drop out of the discussion Bruce.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 13, 2005, 11:29:28 AM

The way I understood it was that Vader/dark jedi had to make a concious decision to be evil and pursue the short path to power.  That THAT was the essence of the dark side, quick easy power but at the price of your humanity.  Vader being a dupe doesn't fit that bill.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 13, 2005, 11:30:34 AM

Why don't you get your self-important head out of your ass and stop being so fucking Elitist.  That's Schild Schtick.

But I only do it occasionally. Doesn't that count for anything? I usually wallow in cheesy movies that most of you disdane. (Like John Woo or most Rutger Hauer movies. ). I have to make up with my B-movie fixation by being elitist at other times. Balance and all that.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 13, 2005, 11:34:18 AM

The way I understood it was that Vader/dark jedi had to make a concious decision to be evil and pursue the short path to power.  That THAT was the essence of the dark side, quick easy power but at the price of your humanity.  Vader being a dupe doesn't fit that bill.

Well they refer to it as a seduction for a reason. I believe it's more like...by the time you realize you're Darkside, you're corrupted. Good intentions and all that. Vader being a dupe as you said, does fit the bill of the seduction route. It's all a big morality play. If Vader consciously chose to be evil then that means that his redemption at the end of Jedi is akin to Hitler saving his son and being forgiven for the Holocaust over it.

Let some philosophy major come in and explain it better than I can. One reason I object strenously to the recent fiction novels that try to say that their is no Dark side is that if that is so, then Vader was truly evil, and Luke was a schmuck. Therefore the original trilogy is suddenly much less bright and full of hope. No, the Dark side has to be the sort of Satan of Star Wars for it all to hold together.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Episode 3  
Jump to: