Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 08:03:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Looking for some good TV... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for some good TV...  (Read 35267 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #175 on: May 26, 2005, 09:35:13 AM

Maybe I'm the only one who was content with the way X-Files ended. Oh well.

As far as Lost goes, a season worth of character interaction scares me. It didn't work with Alias season 3, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work with Lost. When Abrams and crew break from plot driven progression, things tend to get hairy.
WayAbvPar

Reply #176 on: May 26, 2005, 11:23:11 AM

The characters are so well done, there could be a season worth of character interaction alone.

I could go with a season full of Sun/Kate/Shannon/Claire interaction. Although they might need to move it to PPV to really 'flesh out' the plot.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #177 on: May 29, 2005, 05:42:18 PM

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Season 4 of Alias ended up being one of the greatest seasons of TV ever. I'm fairly certain it's better than Season 4 of X-Files. Not quite as good as season 4-5 of Highlander, but holy god. If you have never seen Alias, JJ Abrams has done something magical.

He's produced an ending that makes every seemingly "episodic" episode of Alias mean something. In other words, all those episodes with a certain one of the characters doing something a rather (yes, purposefully vague), meant something. It wasn't just filler.

He's a fucking genius and I bow down to him. I haven't seen the end of season 1 of Lost yet, and won't til it's on DVD, but if it's 1/10th of Alias, it's incredible TV. Alias 4x20-4x22 is art though. The highest art imaginable.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: May 29, 2005, 07:33:47 PM

He's a fucking genius and I bow down to him. I haven't seen the end of season 1 of Lost yet, and won't til it's on DVD, but if it's 1/10th of Alias, it's incredible TV. Alias 4x20-4x22 is art though. The highest art imaginable.

The Lost season finale was the same as the previous dozen or so episodes: a huge cocktease with tons of flashbacks. 

I like the character developement, but they better start telling a story at some point.
WayAbvPar

Reply #179 on: May 31, 2005, 09:24:29 AM

The Lost season finale was the same as the previous dozen or so episodes: a huge cocktease with tons of flashbacks. 

I like the character developement, but they better start telling a story at some point.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed in it overall. Feel free to tie up ANY storyline any time now, kthx.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #180 on: May 31, 2005, 10:31:04 AM

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed in it overall. Feel free to tie up ANY storyline any time now, kthx.

Obviously they're studying at the Robert Jordan school of plot resolution.
WayAbvPar

Reply #181 on: May 31, 2005, 10:37:27 AM

AARRGH. Book 11 is coming in October, and he promises 12 will be the last one. The end is in sight!

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #182 on: May 31, 2005, 10:38:37 AM

AARRGH. Book 11 is coming in October, and he promises 12 will be the last one. The end is in sight!

Lies.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #183 on: May 31, 2005, 11:00:50 AM

If you hang an earring off of that hook in your mouth, it might be quite fetching.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #184 on: June 01, 2005, 03:59:36 PM

*Spoilers below, but do I really need to warn at this time.  If you didn't watch it last night you aren't a fan!"
Well, I didn't catch it for a couple days, but I recorded it on my DVR. Do I get bonus points for having the entire season recorded in HD? :) I'm gettng my new girl into it now, along with Penn&Teller's beloved Bullshit (which she likes alot). Also have all of the last seasons of SG-1 and Atlantis in SD, I heart my DVR. Need more hard disk capacity, stat! The SD stuff isn't bad, but the HD stuff takes up tons of space.
EB is getting on my very last nerve. Way more info about his digestive crisis than I ever needed.
I see this more like Toliver's attempts at blackmail, it's his defense mechanism, playing the victim. When he has to be devious, that's his M.O.

I was pleasantly surprised at Hearst's personality, it was nice to see Toliver and Walcott put in their places.
Swearengen referring to Bullock as "His Holiness" was cracking me up. 
Yeah, great touch.

I guess that wraps up my participation in this thread for the year :)

Well, maybe when Farscape:SG-1 debuts I'll pop in. I have a baaad feeling about this...but it just might work. But not just Jon Carter, but Sung, too? Wow. Will Pip be in the cast, too (I admit to having the hots for Chiana...bizarre imo). Atlantis should be pretty good, Sci Fi recovered from Farscape fridays quite admirably imo, especially this past season with the three hour marathons every week. Phew.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #185 on: June 01, 2005, 04:02:11 PM

Well, maybe when Farscape:SG-1 debuts I'll pop in. I have a baaad feeling about this...but it just might work. But not just Jon Carter, but Sung, too? Wow. Will Pip be in the cast, too (I admit to having the hots for Chiana...bizarre imo). Atlantis should be pretty good, Sci Fi recovered from Farscape fridays quite admirably imo, especially this past season with the three hour marathons every week. Phew.

I miss "The Invisible Man".
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: June 01, 2005, 04:42:42 PM

Fuck yeah!

There was something innately funny about a black ops division of the US Governement that no one respects,  has budgetary problems,  and keeps switching what department they're under.....   Sort of the anti-X-files.

"Invisible Man" and "Farscape" made a great block of TV.  What jackass decided to broadcast most of their seasons Friday night from 9-11 during the summer?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: June 01, 2005, 05:15:55 PM

Lost is a lot like character generation in a bad MMORPG. Dreaming of how it's going to turn out is better than actually living it. There are a lot of examples of things like that in fiction that have an incredible premise that can't really be lived up to. Setting up some crazy premise allows you to use your own imagination and wonder and dream about how cool it's going to be. The Matrix is one example of how this can come crashing down.

It would surprise me if the creators of Lost really knew where they were going.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #188 on: June 02, 2005, 10:00:54 AM

That's a 10-4. I loved that show, but only caught on to it during its last season. Great cast of no-names, cool premise, really pulled off well. I never understood why they shitcanned it for SG-1 personally. And until BSG came out, I had stopped watching anything on Sci-Fi, or as it should be correctly named, Shitty-B-Movie-Channel.

ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: June 02, 2005, 12:53:44 PM

They created a website for Oceanic Air, the airline that the Lost castaways were flying on. There's a few easter eggs on the pages, but not much else. I was hoping it would be something similar to the I Love Bees website for Halo 2.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #190 on: June 02, 2005, 02:08:44 PM

Quote from: Blogs are taking over teh intarweb
Samuel L. Jackson gets LOST

More possible spoilers for LOST.

According to imdb, Samuel L. Jackson will be guest starring on LOST as Bernard (Rose's missing husband, I'm guessing).  I realize that imdb isn't the best source for casting news, but I'm hoping this rumor is true.  I can already hear him shouting, "I'm back, motherfuckers!"   Um, unless he only appears in Rose's flashbacks, which would be kind of lame.  I'd like to see him kick some ass on the island with the help of Michelle Rodriguez.

Here's a link to his IMDB that shows him guest-starring on Lost.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: June 02, 2005, 02:13:51 PM

That's a 10-4. I loved that show, but only caught on to it during its last season. Great cast of no-names, cool premise, really pulled off well. I never understood why they shitcanned it for SG-1 personally. And until BSG came out, I had stopped watching anything on Sci-Fi, or as it should be correctly named, Shitty-B-Movie-Channel.

SG-1 grew on me after a while.  Maybe because I had amazingly low expectations.

I couldn't believe they shitcanned "Invisible Man",  and broadcast a long line of completely forgetable series in it's place (Black Scorpion, something-something Jules Verne, that Highlander dude in a shitty new show, the paranormal newspaper one?)  I mean BAAAD.

The channel has really degraded to the straight-to-video B movie channel.  I think alot of this was a programming decision to push most money at a couple of big sweeps airing miniseries (Taken, Earthsea, Dune, etc) instead of licensing and developing their own stuff.  Which kind of fucked over their budget for the rest of the year.....

Hell, even Lexx wasn't terrible.  It was wierd and different,  but that can be a good thing when you get tired of seeing Star_Trek_Clone_300.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #192 on: June 02, 2005, 02:20:10 PM

he paranormal newspaper one?

I enjoyed "The Chronicle". I also enjoyed "Jake 2.0" on UPN.

I have issues.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #193 on: June 02, 2005, 02:46:32 PM

No, Lexx was fucking awful. I have never understood that show, and after watching a few minutes of a number of episodes, never wanted to understand it.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #194 on: June 02, 2005, 03:23:09 PM

Still working my way through Farscape on DVD, love that shit. Waiting for season 2 of Dead Like Me, and of course Sopranos 5. (I think its 5 anyways)

Oh, and Shockeye - your current avatar is even funnier now that I read the article its from. (Frontpage? what's a Frontpage?)

Is it sad that I knew she was a Fragdoll before reading that article though? (I'll answer myself, yes - yes, it is sad.)

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #195 on: June 02, 2005, 03:26:51 PM

Still working my way through Farscape on DVD, love that shit. Waiting for season 2 of Dead Like Me, and of course Sopranos 5. (I think its 5 anyways)

I thought Dead Like Me got cancelled?
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #196 on: June 02, 2005, 03:28:40 PM

It did, but as far as I knew they made two seasons. I've only seen season one.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: June 02, 2005, 03:43:47 PM

No, Lexx was fucking awful. I have never understood that show, and after watching a few minutes of a number of episodes, never wanted to understand it.

I agree, I won't even be in the room when Lexx is on.

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #198 on: June 02, 2005, 03:48:44 PM

How often was it on in your house? And have you sufficiently punished whomever was responsible?
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: June 02, 2005, 04:18:50 PM

How often was it on in your house? And have you sufficiently punished whomever was responsible?

Too often since we have TiVo.  Yes, another year of him having to watch every Charmed episode with me should do it (even the daily TNT ones).

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
WayAbvPar

Reply #200 on: June 02, 2005, 04:19:28 PM

Wow...you play hardball!  :-D

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #201 on: June 02, 2005, 04:24:03 PM

Too often since we have TiVo.  Yes, another year of him having to watch every Charmed episode with me should do it (even the daily TNT ones).

My wife makes me watch Charmed as well. At least I was able to wiggle out of Veronica Mars.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #202 on: June 02, 2005, 06:38:39 PM

The original Lexx with Eva Habermann was decent because of Eva Habermann nekkiid.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #203 on: June 02, 2005, 06:44:11 PM

Lexx was a beatoff show. If anybody watched it for a plotline their brain went out for a smoke.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: June 02, 2005, 07:44:40 PM

Farscape drags a bit early/mid season 4.  Then gets back in fine form for the end.  The season 2 finale arc is probably their finest stuff,  but damn I loved Stark's raving insanity and Crichton going apeshit.  The miniseries really wrapped up the show well.

One big thing you miss watching it on DVD is the cliffhangers.  They'd dump you in a huge fucking cliffhanger and take off for 4 or 5 months.  For those interested,  I think they've begun reissuing Farscape as 6 or 8 episodes a DVD.  The first batch of DVDs were all 2 episodes for $20-30,  which was trifle high.

Dead Like Me season 2 was solid.  Daisey was a much better character, showing vulnerability, than the two dimensional character she was in season 1. 

Sopranos season 5 was good.  Not the emotional resonance like in the end of Season 4.  Buscemi playing a pretty characteristic role.  Nothing real exceptional,  but some good moments.

And I swear never to mention The Show That Must Not Be Named again....
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #205 on: June 02, 2005, 08:42:19 PM

My wife makes me watch Charmed as well. At least I was able to wiggle out of Veronica Mars.

Veronica Mars is actually a really good show.  Really good.

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #206 on: June 03, 2005, 09:09:08 AM

Lexx was a beatoff show. If anybody watched it for a plotline their brain went out for a smoke.

Well beatoff/ sci-fi parody.  It never took itself seriously, which meant it didn't really fit well in-between the other shows on Fridays. There were a few episodes that got chuckles out of me.

Of course, I enjoyed Good Vs Evil, (or GvsE as it was called when it moved to USA) so what the fuck do I know.

For those interested,  I think they've begun reissuing Farscape as 6 or 8 episodes a DVD.  The first batch of DVDs were all 2 episodes for $20-30,  which was trifle high.

Really?  Because that'd be fucking great.  Paying $200 a season was NOT happening, which is why I also don't own any B-5 episodes.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 09:11:02 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #207 on: June 03, 2005, 09:15:07 AM

Of course, I enjoyed Good Vs Evil, (or GvsE as it was called when it moved to USA) so what the fuck do I know.

GvsE was a good show that never had a chance in hell of lasting long on any network. It was just too beyond people.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: June 03, 2005, 12:21:53 PM

I keep seeing trailers for a new "mini-series" (or whatever it is called) by the name of "Taken". "Presented by Stephen Spielberg" none the less.

Anyone already seen it ? The trailers look not so shaby

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: June 03, 2005, 01:36:27 PM

I keep seeing trailers for a new "mini-series" (or whatever it is called) by the name of "Taken". "Presented by Stephen Spielberg" none the less.

http://www.scifi.com/taken/index_main.html

This was put out back in 2002. Are they making a new version of it or something?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Looking for some good TV...  
Jump to: