Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:09:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: IGN gets some dirt on Civ 4. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGN gets some dirt on Civ 4.  (Read 15428 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: May 17, 2005, 05:10:34 PM

You know you want to read it.

Let me tease you a bit.

Quote from: IGN Douchebags
IGNPC: Tell us about the new 3D engine. What's the overall visual presentation like? Will there be a bit more life and animation on the map? Can we expect a variety of perspectives here?

Barry Caudill: As with Sid Meier's Pirates!, we are using the Gamebryo engine and that allows us to really open up the visuals in Civilization 4. One of our main goals was to really bring the world to life. So you will see rivers flowing, resources like horses, cattle, or elephants animating, and different animations when those resources are being "worked", etc. In addition, unit movement and combat will be much more interesting and exciting than ever before. We are also shooting for a WYSIWYG approach where you will know what city a wonder is in because you can see it in the world, along with many other aspects previously relegated to menus and screens.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 05:10:56 PM

They could have intereviewed me to get that answer.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 05:11:16 PM

There's more to the interview than that, asstard.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 05:12:26 PM

I'm not clicking a link to IGN during E3. I can't take that much fluff unless it's a ridiculously hot chick fluffing me. Thx.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 06:02:48 PM

As with Sid Meier's Pirates!, we are using the Gamebryo engine and that allows us to really open up the visuals in Civilization 4.

Can I dance with my samurai?

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 06:10:14 PM

I'm not clicking a link to IGN during E3. I can't take that much fluff unless it's a ridiculously hot chick fluffing me. Thx.

Eewww....No one wants to see you take off your robe and wizard hat.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 03:51:53 AM

I was interested when I saw that finally borders would be respected.  Then my brain tried to escape and I had to go back to read a paragraph two more times before it sank in... No. Armies.

Not interested.  The one on one unit thing is a travesty of tactics and leads to a mindless save/restore cycle so a neanderthal militia can't really wipeout a robotic tank.  I want to be forced to scout the opponent and craft my armies accordingly.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 04:08:28 AM

Barry Caudill: Civilization 4 will be the most moddable version of Civilization ever. Players can edit basic stats and attributes in XML files. On a higher level, much of the game will be exposed to Python so modders will be able to edit events and have more control over how the game works. On an even higher level, we are planning to provide an AI SDK to allow experienced programmers to dig very deep into customization.
Hmm...I sense a potential Masters of Magic mod...
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 09:48:41 AM

Barry Caudill: You bet! This game was designed to be multiplayer from the ground up and we have been playing MP games for a year and a half already. Players will be able to compete in traditional turn-based or simultaneous move games either on a network or via the Internet. We will be using Gamespy for Internet matchmaking. Other options include Hot Seat, Play by Email, and a persistent turn server we call Pitboss.

Coop will work in a similar fashion to what you would expect from an RTS like Age of Kings or Warcraft 3. Players on the same team will share line of site, the benefits of wonders, research (they can even research the same thing to try to get it faster), unit trading, and share territory. All of these additions deliver a plethora of new strategic and tactical options to the players.

Can't wait to have my ass thoroughly kicked by some of you rats.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 10:02:14 AM

IGNPC: While we're on the subject of the previous game, were there any features from the last game that you felt the need to scale down or eliminate altogether?

Barry Caudill: We no longer have static eras so it's more like versions of Civilization prior to Civilization 3 in that respect. We eliminated armies but created more customization and countering with the units. We also changed the way bombardment units work in the game so they are now like a hybrid of previous games.

Oh happy day.  The gimpiness of cannons and catapults always annoyed me far more than the culture mechanic that everyone else despised.  Armies were also a big pain in the ass since units didn't level once they were inside of one.  Not to mention the difficulty I always had of getting that first leader to show up so I could even build a single army, while "Somehow" the AI came marching on my cities with multiple 6 elite unit armies.  Fucker.

Too bad about gamespy matchmaking, though. I'd have loved to play one or two games against folks so I could be crushed into the ground and have yet another illusion of my gaming ability thrashed by the joyless hell that is multiplayer gaming.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 12:53:01 PM

Not sure if I linked to this.

The IGN thing is giving me epileptic seizures from taking 'flash ad' a bit too literally.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 12:58:00 PM

Not to mention the difficulty I always had of getting that first leader to show up so I could even build a single army, while "Somehow" the AI came marching on my cities with multiple 6 elite unit armies.  Fucker.
I got a leader in my very first game of Civ 3.

I have not seen a leader since. In fact, until you mentioned this, I forgot they were in the game, and I just played through one a few months back.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 04:30:14 PM

Regarding Civ 3:

There's already a Masters of Magic mod for Civ3: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=79607

I can understand why they removed armies. They really were horribly overpowered in Civ3, thanks to the way they could execute multiple assaults to gang up on a single defender.

Leaders come when an elite miltary unit would have been promoted in combat (elite being top tier and thus no promotions). Militaristic civs get leaders more often.

Haven't seen Civ4 at the show yet. Hopefully I'll find them tomorrow.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 04:59:02 PM

There's already a Masters of Magic mod for Civ3: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=79607
Interesting, thanks, though unfortunately I don't have the Conquest expansion pack that mod requires.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 07:06:17 AM

I would strongly recommend you pick Conquests up, then. It fixes a lot of what was wrong with Civ3 (and also adds working multiplayer, as opposed to the previous x-pack which added non-working multiplayer).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 08:40:05 AM

Leaders come when an elite miltary unit would have been promoted in combat (elite being top tier and thus no promotions). Militaristic civs get leaders more often.
I know :(

Guess I'll have to buy Conquests as well, I want to check that mod out.
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 11:46:56 AM

Quote from: IGN Douchebags
... One of our main goals was to really bring the world to life. So you will see rivers flowing, resources like horses, cattle, or elephants animating

Fixed that.   rolleyes  Had to be done.

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 05:49:52 AM

I followed this link off Zen of Design.  While it will tell you little about Civ IV, it is nonetheless marketing dollars well spent, IMO. 

There are some nice little Quicktime movies in some of the links.  I laughed, I cried, I stole a couple lines for a sig for what is left of Raging Douchebag Week.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 12:45:53 PM

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: IGN gets some dirt on Civ 4.  
Jump to: