Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Background stories. Anyone have them? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Background stories. Anyone have them?  (Read 8871 times)
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

on: April 22, 2004, 02:35:01 PM

I put this on another thread but was wondering if anyone else thinks of little origin stories for their characters or if I am just a weirdo.

I have two mains at this point, and there backgrounds are not super interesting but just what I have thought up while running around playing them or what I thought of while picking clothing.

AutumnFyre
Fire/Fire blaster.  Human, bald, fire retardant clothing, single mechanical arm.  I wanted it to end in a flame thrower nozzle, but oh well.

Ex-black ops enforcer type whose enhancements are government based.  The fire ability is natural but the cybernetics enhance it (not going to bother making up technobabble for it).  He learned too much during the course of his job and started incriminating his boss who then tried to have him killed.  After killing his boss, the hit squad of his peers, and burning down a government building, the government just wanted to shut him up  and was embarassed about the whole incident.  So they asked him what he wanted.  It was just a simple end to his contract that required him to work for the agency until he had paid off the price of his cybernetics, which was pretty much never at government salary.  No grudge, no conspiracy shit.  Just one crooked boss and some underlings doing what they thought was their job who unfortunately got killed in the process.  He of course was promised that he would be kept under surveilance and that if he goes blabbing to the press about his boss or his plots that he will be killed.  He wasn't the only government project after all, and they have bigger fish that could take him out.

This is just what I thought in character generation.  It isn't anything fancy and is pretty damn derivative I know.

TrOll RaNJur
Broadsword/Regeneration scrapper

My other character is a mutant.  He thinks he is a troll who thinks he is a Ranger.  It is part of a sort of inside joke that I make a ranger in every game I play.  So I followed up on it.

Being born green, huge,  and with regenerative powers is not easy and he became pretty mentally unstable at an early age.  The superhero/ranger persona is just part of a psychotic break he suffered while growing up.  Combining his weird powers, appearance, and a DND character he once played into a split personality that has totally buried whoever he originally was.  He is currently too busy trying to bend sticks to make a bow without breaking them.  This pisses him off to no end so he goes and kills bad people between attempts.  If we ever get alter egos he may occasionally flip back to his original self and at that time I might actually decide to flesh it out.  In the meantime it is a great reason to roleplay a troll running around a modern city smashing things.  I find that fun.  And not just a troll, but a mentally fucked up troll who isn't really a troll OR a ranger.

I guess this one reads abit like the MaXX.  Wasn't anything I really thought about till I wrote it down, but oh well.  I loved the maxx so I don't mind being similar to that.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 03:47:43 PM

I was an Orphen who was raised by elves, and found out my parents where killed by my evil brother, who turned out to be a pawn of an evil god.

Once I retrieved my Magic Sword, I...

Oh wait...
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 03:52:12 PM

I fled to America after killing a man. It was then that I developed Jeet Kun Do, or The Way of the Fist.

Oh, wait, that's not my story, it's Bruce Lee's.
CassandraR
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 06:20:20 PM

My character Myth1, a assault rifle and devices blaster is a simple clone soldier girl. Grown in a vat around a semi-organic polymer skeleton base and programmed and trained through rapid sleep teaching as the rest of her body developed over the course of a few weeks. She still isn't completely socialized though so even though she as the training and knowledge of an experienced soldier she still alot like a child emotionally and mentally because she has had very little real experience.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 06:36:53 PM

Quote from: CassandraR
My character Myth1, a assault rifle and devices blaster is a simple clone soldier girl. Grown in a vat around a semi-organic polymer skeleton base and programmed and trained through rapid sleep teaching as the rest of her body developed over the course of a few weeks. She still isn't completely socialized though so even though she as the training and knowledge of an experienced soldier she still alot like a child emotionally and mentally because she has had very little real experience.

I am so turned on right now..

Uhh, and my character is a killer robot sent by the USSR to kill Jimmy Carter.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 06:37:17 PM

I prefer the origins of The Saint, The Avengers, et. al: unexplained and mysterious. Of course, it will lead to some dickweed in Hollywood making up a shit story to explain it after I become famous.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
CassandraR
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 07:13:39 PM

Its a superhero story. Its suppose to be cheesy! If I was making a real character that I was going to roleplay or something I would of put more thought into it. For her I just picked some concept I think is cool.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 08:13:37 PM

I'll have a backstory.

One of these days.

It'll involve flames and epic struggles and a right of passage borne of necessity. Or something.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 08:16:08 PM

Quote from: Darniaq
It'll involve flames and epic struggles and a right of passage borne of necessity.

Maybe you can sell it to "Queer as Folk" too.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 08:18:14 PM

The name is Craft, sure I have the name my parents gave me, but I left that one a long time ago.  I was born in Boston in 1902 to recent immigrents from eastern europe.  In college I and a few friends stumbled into some information that is best left undiscovered; however, an obligation to make sure such knowledge did not find its way into the world became the driving force of our lives.  Thus was born a fraternal order dedicated to the understanding and hiding of holistic knowledge.  I learned how to harness the raw force of fire and as with any endeavor in the field of the arcane, that which is learned becomes part of you.  Now I am fire.  With the recent events in Paragon City, it was time the fraternal order took a stand for humanity and I and several others have been sent to help put down the evil.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 08:36:09 PM

My past is so mysterious even I don't know what it is.  I may look like a white goth girl, but I think I'm turning Japanese.

I really think so.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 08:40:20 PM

but I think I'm turning Japanese.

I really think so.

DAMNIT.  I just snorted milkshake up my nose!  LOL.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: April 22, 2004, 08:43:18 PM

You want cheesy? You got it.

Goo (Defender/Radioactive)

Goo is the result of a kid who put the wrong toy in his mouth.

"And don't forget to try my new Sewage Pops, kids!"

Not sure if I'm stickin' with him though. Just made a spinal scrapper, so I may be doing that.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #13 on: April 22, 2004, 09:06:44 PM

I developed a quick origin story for all my characters.   Here's a pretty straightforward one for The Nanites:

"Deep in a secret underground lab beneath Paragon City, a Crey Biotech satelight was developing tiny machines for the purpose of maintenance and repair work.  

One night these machines, called nanites, suffered an unexpected surge of comic energies which actually caused them to develop sentience.   Fascienated, the researchers nutured the nanites in secret from their superiors, teaching them the ways of the world, and in time they even learned a crude sense of morals.

Things took another turn for the unexpected when a 5th Column black ops group invaded the lab and slaughtered the researchers.   The Nanites, shocked at the murder of their "parents", immediately assumed a form of a super hero and took vengence against the 5th column.

Now essentially free, the Nanites take it upon themselves to patrol the dangerous streets of Paragon city."

Yes, also quite cheesy, and not terribly feasible, but it works.   The cool thing about this particular character is The Nanites has somewhat unlimited potential.   They're built out of sentient molecular machines which can assume pretty much any form they want, after all.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #14 on: April 22, 2004, 09:09:33 PM

You've been watching too much Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, Stray.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: April 22, 2004, 10:17:49 PM

Quote from: Signe
You've been watching too much Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, Stray.

I figured since I'm using Toxic, it's going to be cheesy no matter what, so I might as well go all out and be "cheesy" cheesy, not "serious" cheesy. Maybe changing his name to "The Reactor" or "Mr. Fusion" would help? Heh, probably not.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #16 on: April 22, 2004, 11:03:58 PM

Most of my characters were based on characters in a collaborative fiction superhero story my friends and I wrote while in college.  Alkiera herself doesn't convert over well, her power was similar to Rogue's, thus not really balance-able.  Other characters, like Master Mitch, Ariel, Yuriko, The Quiver, WetWere(The Villain), all fit in fairly well.  At least, some aspect of the character could be converted to work within CoH.  All of them had backstories that forced my choices on powers and powerpools, and all had facets that were simply beyond the capability of the game to produce, tho producing likenesses was pretty easy, costume-wise.

They're all involved, but Alkiera is a street urchin from Atlanta, Georgia.  She's not an orphan, but due to being a mutant, might as well be, and has lived on her own for years, using her powers to her own advantage, before arriving in Paragon City.  Her 'costume' is just her normal clothes, she doesn't think much of spandex or tights.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 23, 2004, 05:10:03 AM

Quote from: geldonyetich
nanites...

Roddenberry's on the line. What should I tell him? :)
Xilren's Twin

Reply #18 on: April 23, 2004, 06:34:40 AM

I came thiiiis close to making a white haired, white suited, glasses wearing fire/fire blaster named Col Sanders who backstory involved being the victim of a vicious flock of rabid mutant chickens.  Since the tragic incident results in a both a hero and a well known fast food chain, it's a win win for everyone without feathers.

Battle phrase: "You want that Extra Crispy boy?"

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 23, 2004, 07:32:07 AM

I can't hear Col. Sanders mentioned without the back of my brain screaming:

"Oh I hated the colonel with his WEEEE BEATY eyes and smug luuk on his face.... 'Oh, you want to buy my chicken?'"

and

"Because he puts an addictive chemical in it that makes you crave it fortnightly... SMARTASS!"

I am going to chuckle to myself now for the rest of the morning.
WayAbvPar

Reply #20 on: April 23, 2004, 09:20:36 AM

Quote from: Alluvian
I can't hear Col. Sanders mentioned without the back of my brain screaming:

"Oh I hated the colonel with his WEEEE BEATY eyes and smug luuk on his face.... 'Oh, you want to buy my chicken?'"

and

"Because he puts an addictive chemical in it that makes you crave it fortnightly... SMARTASS!"

I am going to chuckle to myself now for the rest of the morning.

He also comes with a built in Supergroup (the Pentavarate).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #21 on: April 23, 2004, 11:39:18 AM

Just before the beta ended I made "Jelly Testicle." I will now indulge you all with his story of epic struggle with his arch nemesis "The Clog."

It all started after Thanksgiving Dinner. In the distance the sound of water could be heard splashing. Jelly cringed as he knew what lay ahead for him. He flew towards the eerie liquid noise like a bat out of pergatory. He could see the monstrosity in the distance and with his trusty Ion charged cup stick he slammed into it. A loud suction noise could be heard for miles around... the struggle had begun.

Jelly pulled his Ion stick back and slammed it in again! He couldn't believe the sheer power of The Clog. Someone must of built his powers up. Someone.. Thanksgiving! "That must be it" he thought. The Clog had used Thanksgiving to make him bigger, stronger and even cloggier. He would have to put all of his heart into his Ion stick to dislodge The Clog. With nothing but confidence in his mind, Jelly tightened his grip on his Ion stick and jammed it back and forth into crevice which held this dark demon from the bowels of hell.

If only Jelly knew that his comrade Pepto Bismol had been consumed by this monster would he have considered fleeing by now. But, with only confidence in his mind Jelly continued his barrage of attacks.
Exhausted and seeing no progress in dislodging this monster from its make shift porcelain home, Jelly decided it was time to consult other super friends. He would call upon.. Drainol.

When I get the time I'll finish the story.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #22 on: April 23, 2004, 11:51:38 AM

Quote from: Darniaq
Quote from: geldonyetich
nanites...

Roddenberry's on the line. What should I tell him? :)

"Tell those people you left in charge of Star Trek to get a clue or get back in your hole, Zombie Roddenberry!"

(Actually Nanites (a.k.a. Nanomachines) were something being developed in certain scientific circles prior to Roddenberry's including them in that TNG episode.   At least, I'm pretty sure that's the case... at the very least, it's become a popularly coined sci-fi term like transporters, synthesizers, shields, warp drives, ect.)

[edit #3:] "The term "nanotechnology" was conceived in 1974 by Norio Taniguchi to signify machining with tolerances of less than a micron." according to this article.

Hmm, "Nanomachine" would be a cool hero name too.

cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #23 on: April 23, 2004, 11:52:30 AM

Quote from: NiX

No.. please don't.. please..

More stories about vat grown women that act like 14 year old girls in full grown women bodies, less stories about.. well about whatever the fuck NiX was writing about.. :)

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #24 on: April 23, 2004, 12:23:16 PM

Quote from: cevik
Quote from: NiX

No.. please don't.. please..

More stories about vat grown women that act like 14 year old girls in full grown women bodies, less stories about.. well about whatever the fuck NiX was writing about.. :)

An epic struggle between a testicle and a shit clogged toilet aren't good enough? There's no pleasing you people!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Background stories. Anyone have them?  
Jump to: