Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:52:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: GameBoy Micro? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GameBoy Micro?  (Read 33140 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

on: May 17, 2005, 11:48:38 AM

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/nintendo-game-boy-micro-pic-103855.php

My thoughts:

Nintendo: HAY GUYS, REMEMBER THAT GBA YOU'VE BOUGHT TWO TIMES IN A ROW SO FAR? HERES ANOTHER, PLZ BUY IT KTHX.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 02:43:57 PM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 11:51:55 AM

So wait... it's the same system as a GBA, only it's like tiny and stuff?

WTF?

voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 12:05:43 PM

Having the screen in the middle smacks of the psp. And the "smaller is better" thing I don't get. You already need tweezers and a toothpick to use half the cell phones out these days.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 12:13:35 PM

Hopefully it won't cost so much that it makes me cry when I lose it.  Not that I need another GBA.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 12:15:25 PM

Need another Gameboy? Of course you do.

This has swappable front plates. How I yearned for thee!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 12:31:20 PM

the Micro features a 2-inch backlit screen, ... and screen brightness adjustment

That's something.  Still waiting to find out what is NOT included.  Headphone jack?  Connection port?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 01:44:08 PM

The power button.

- Viin
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 02:19:09 PM

A reason to buy it?

schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 02:40:03 PM

Pity for Nintendo.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 06:51:14 PM

If it has the same quality screen (or better) than the GBA SP and is wider I may get one if it's cheap. The GBA SP controls are spaced too close together for my body (I have wide shoulders) and it gets painful to play cause I have to keep my elbows tucked in so I don't play it as much as I could.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 08:19:15 PM

Having the screen in the middle smacks of the psp.

GAME GEAR Damnit!

Wiiiiii!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 09:06:31 PM

Or Lynx. Or Wonder Swan. Maybe Neo Geo Pocket/Pocket Color as well. These things only really come in two shapes, vertical and horizontal.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 12:23:39 AM

Don't forget the Sega Nomad!

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 06:45:24 AM

The GBA SP controls are spaced too close together for my body (I have wide shoulders) and it gets painful to play cause I have to keep my elbows tucked in so I don't play it as much as I could.

I don't think that a miniaturized GBA is what you are looking for, then, unless you want to look like Derek Zoolander.  This seems like a great product for Japan, however, especially considering the buying habits over there.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 07:07:45 AM

The smaller, the better in Japan... for everything. 

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/11121.jpg  (NSFW)

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 07:15:04 AM

The smaller, the better in Japan... for everything. 

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/11121.jpg  (NSFW)

Smells PhotoShoppy for some reason.  But yeah.  I bet she could be packing a GBA Micro.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 09:02:54 AM

The fact that Nintendo's announcement in the handheld was that they were releasing the old Gameboy Advance, BUT MICRO, as well as Nintendogs being their big, hot, it handheld game, shows me they don't know how to compete with the PSP.

AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 10:04:12 AM

The fact that Nintendo's announcement in the handheld was that they were releasing the old Gameboy Advance, BUT MICRO, as well as Nintendogs being their big, hot, it handheld game, shows me they don't know how to compete with the PSP.
Yes, Nintendogs was just responsible for selling as many DSes in one week as all other consoles combined.

I will buy that micro GBA simply because it will fit in any pocket. The DS is too fricking huge.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 03:01:27 PM

The GBA SP controls are spaced too close together for my body (I have wide shoulders) and it gets painful to play cause I have to keep my elbows tucked in so I don't play it as much as I could.
I don't think that a miniaturized GBA is what you are looking for, then, unless you want to look like Derek Zoolander.  This seems like a great product for Japan, however, especially considering the buying habits over there.
You are probably right. 4 inches wide is still pretty narrow for me. I'd be happy if they just updated the GBA with the GBA SP screen.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 03:07:28 PM

I can relate to the size thing. My hands will start tingling from the wrists up if I play the GBA too long. Having to hold the thing so close to my body to see the screen precludes me from having my hands below my heart (where the circulation is better).

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Aenovae
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 03:39:20 PM

Played with this bad boy today.  It's very slick.  It looks like a shiny, sexy, technological toy.  It feels pretty good, but not as good as an SP.  Even a person with small hands will have a hard time playing this thing for long hours (FFTA anyone?).  That said, it's a very cool novelty item.  There's zero point in buying one if you already have a GBA.  I think the only people who will buy a GB micro are the people who get new cell phones every few months because the new models are "cooler."

The GB micro and the Revolution show that Nintendo really knows what they're doing in making their hardware attractive.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 04:29:27 PM by Aenovae »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 18, 2005, 04:06:48 PM

Um, the PSP is trying to compete with Nintendo, not the other way around. Sorry for the intrusion of reality.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 08:29:42 AM

Reality is there is no competition for the PSP, the closest thing is the fucking N-Gage. The GB/GBA/GBA SP/GBM, they are all nice handheld game systems with a big library of retread and new games, but none of those models offers anything more than that. The PSP is a game system that's much more kickass than the GBA, and can play movies, MP3's and shit; the N-Gage is a decent game system with too few games but it's also a decent cellphone. The DS is a fucking joke.

In these days of having fifty bazillion handheld devices, having a GBA on top of a MP3 player and/or cellphone is inconvenient, especially if the games aren't spectacular. Sure, there is a huge library of GBA games, and that'll keep it in good sales for awhile. But if you've got the money to spend, the convergence devices are the better deal, IMO.

Also, Nintendogs is a stupid concept that only the Japanese and Japanese-lovers who thought Pogs and Tamagochi was cool will give a fuck about.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 09:49:32 AM

Also, Nintendogs is a stupid concept that only the Japanese and Japanese-lovers who thought Pogs and Tamagochi was cool will give a fuck about.

True. But it's like Animal Crossing for people with commitment problems. Seriously, I got so sick of the characters in my town bitching that I never send them mail, that I just started digging holes and putting pitfalls in them so the little fuckers would fall in. cheesy

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 10:00:50 AM

Seriously, I got so sick of the characters in my town bitching that I never send them mail, that I just started digging holes and putting pitfalls in them so the little fuckers would fall in. cheesy

I sent them garbage in the mail.  Sometimes I asked for sexual favors.  They still loved me.  I was a god to them.  I have a O/C issue and therefore loved Animal Crossing.  Gotta collect everything, you know. *twitch*

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #25 on: May 19, 2005, 10:04:44 AM

Yeah, I was one of the weirdos who would stay up until 3am so I could see EVERY random character, collect all the songs by the guitar-playing doggie, etc. And my museum was pimped out, yo. I had almost all of the fossils. Did you ever wash that one bitch's car, and then get really pissed when she gives you crappy clothes in return? My own design was better anyway. I had a little pink dress with skulls on it.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #26 on: May 19, 2005, 10:10:23 AM

Yeah, I was one of the weirdos who would stay up until 3am so I could see EVERY random character, collect all the songs by the guitar-playing doggie, etc.

Change the clock.  I have all of the Halloween furniture.  Time Warp FTW!  Just watch out for paradoxes when traveling backwards.

Did you ever wash that one bitch's car, and then get really pissed when she gives you crappy clothes in return?

Fuck yeah.  Damn giraffe.  My wife made some of my clothes, but they made my little guy look sort of gay.  Which, I think, is not really surprising.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #27 on: May 19, 2005, 10:26:39 AM

And don't you hafta worry about Resetti the mole erasing your game if you do it too much?

My house had like 30 of those little clanky robot things. It was cacophanous.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #28 on: May 19, 2005, 10:58:16 AM

And don't you hafta worry about Resetti the mole erasing your game if you do it too much?

My house had like 30 of those little clanky robot things. It was cacophanous.

Resetti doesn't appear to know.  I have never actually seen that bastard, and I was like fucking Doctor Who.  A cute, superdeformed Doctor Who with loot on the brain.

I always find fossils.  My wife always finds gyroids.  I don't get it.  Anyway, you can't have too many working at once, presumably because AC is a damn N64 port instead of an actual Cube game.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #29 on: May 19, 2005, 11:03:55 AM

That is the only game I've bought and sold twice, then rented once more. They're only $20 now. Have you plugged the GBA into it to see the other island?

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #30 on: May 19, 2005, 11:08:26 AM

That is the only game I've bought and sold twice, then rented once more. They're only $20 now. Have you plugged the GBA into it to see the other island?

Yes.  Coconuts for great justice.  Too bad my tree-planting skills suck ass.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #31 on: May 19, 2005, 11:20:23 AM

You just gotta plant 'em in an open area, not too close to other trees. I've had a lot of success with that.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #32 on: May 19, 2005, 11:33:41 AM

[quoet]Um, the PSP is trying to compete with Nintendo, not the other way around. Sorry for the intrusion of reality.
How quaint.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #33 on: May 19, 2005, 11:36:35 AM

Sky, your quote-fu is weak.

Hey, everyone! I'm a crotchpheasant!

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #34 on: May 19, 2005, 02:21:37 PM

You all need to stop ripping material from Family Guy.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: GameBoy Micro?  
Jump to: