Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:58:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Square-Enix: Slower than a geriatric slug on a salted snowed in street 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Square-Enix: Slower than a geriatric slug on a salted snowed in street  (Read 55661 times)
Daydreamer
Contributor

on: May 17, 2005, 04:37:25 AM

So they announced their game schedule in their press confrence (some liberty taken by me to narrow it down):

FF:Advent Children - September
Dragon Quest VIII - November
Kingdom Hearts - Spring 06
FFXII - Fall 06

For those not up to speed on SE bullshit this is the EXACT same schedule give last E3, only +9 months, which was in turn the same exact schedule shown at the preceeding Tokyo Game Show, only +6 months or so.  If you are going to take the time to spit and polish your games (Good) then STOP IT with the wildly optimistic dates (Bad).  And while you are at it, could you replace a badly hackneyed cliche or two with moderately original content?  I mean, topling the evil empire to discover the TRUE evil which somehow assaults gaia/spirits/other post-modern hippy bullshit STOPPED being fun before the name Monica became synonymous with blow job.

Now sho while I drool over wildly optimistic imaginary scenarios for how Mistwalker's two Xbox 360 RPGs will rock hard despite all common sense.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 08:12:52 AM

Dragon Quest VIII - November

Pigfuckers.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 02:47:55 PM

No-motherfucking-vember? Sigh. Fuckcocklesdickdouchebag.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 03:23:30 PM

Ha, ha, ha. Now you all can know how I feel having to wait for Twilight Princess (I know, the name is ghey). It's still being listed as Gates of the Realm in Japan, so I'm not sure why the disparity between names.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 03:28:56 PM

Ha, ha, ha. Now you all can know how I feel having to wait for Twilight Princess (I know, the name is ghey). It's still being listed as Gates of the Realm in Japan, so I'm not sure why the disparity between names.

We knew how you felt in the mid-90s when Final Fantasy II kept getting delayed. This isn't a new thing for fans of Square. They are true douchebags.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 05:27:50 PM

Think on the positive side.  The Japanese gamers paid 70-90 bucks for the newest Dragpm Warrior game.  We won't!
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 05:40:07 PM

Btw. They're remaking FFVII. At least according to the EXACT trailer they had on the PS version (new on gametrailers). So uhm. I want it. Now. I want to remember when Square made good games and I wasn't looking forward to Dragon Warrior.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 12:21:52 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble schild, but no they arn't.  The president of SE said at the end of the press conference that it was only a tech demo they made, using simplified versions of the FF7 Advent Children models, for internal use/planning and that Sony convinced them to let them show it with the PS3.  Sony gets a high-profile IP with amazing gfx to sell the PS3 with, and SE gets free Advent Children promotion - win win.

And speaking of SE delays, none rubbed me quite as raw as the year and a half between Chrono Cross' announcement (e3 99 I belive), its initial due date (Fall 99), and when it was released (Fall 00).  And the fact that it wasn't just CT in 3d also stung.

Now why don't they announce Chrono Break damn it!

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 01:02:40 AM

The real question here is WTF is going on with FF12? Another year until it's out? Something bad must be happening. I know the director of that game is pretty unhappy. (He is the guy who made Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre then came over to Square and made Vagrant Story and is largely considered the best director they have working there) They keep talking about throwing him a bone and buying the rights to the Ogre Battle series and making one similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, at this point he might just be mailing it in.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 01:23:40 AM

The real question here is WTF is going on with FF12? Another year until it's out? Something bad must be happening. I know the director of that game is pretty unhappy. (He is the guy who made Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre then came over to Square and made Vagrant Story and is largely considered the best director they have working there) They keep talking about throwing him a bone and buying the rights to the Ogre Battle series and making one similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, at this point he might just be mailing it in.
Yeah FF XII was originally supposed to be released March 2004 in Japan and the latest I had heard for it pre-E3 was Spring 2006 so this is yet another delay.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 06:01:51 AM

Call me when they make a sequel to Final Fantasy III.  Terra could convey more angst with two pixels of motion than all the shitty characters in all the FF games made after that combined.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 06:27:18 AM

Ha, ha, ha. Now you all can know how I feel having to wait for Twilight Princess (I know, the name is ghey).

That's the new Zelda, right?  I'm somewhat overloaded with information this week.  I think I prefered Legend of Zelda: Working Title, but whatever.  As long as it doesn't give me nightmares like Majora's Mask.  Whenever I think about how long I have to wait for the next Zelda, I have to slam my fingers in my laptop.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Aenovae
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 04:02:25 PM

FFXII was a no-show today :(

Radiata Stories and Romancing SaGa are just standard PS2 RPGs, which is fine.  Looks like they're actually on schedule too.

Code Age looks very cool, and very unique.  It's very action-y and may not even be an RPG.

Fullmetal Alchemist 2 is total shit.  It has the some of the shittiest controls, attacks, combat, locomotion, and gameplay of any game I have ever played.  The poor designers working on this game (are there any?) need to be put out of their misery.

There was a huge section dedicated to FFXI, as if anyone cared anymore.

I didn't get a ticket to see whatever they where showing behind closed doors, but I'm pretty sure it was just trailer movies.

Did I mention there was no FFXII? :~(  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that Square Enix was driving down the road to Craptown (possibly because of the new realtime combat?), and some intelligent manager decided to hit the brakes.  The next time we see FFXII, it may be a very different game (gameplay-wise) that what we saw at last year's E3.  Metrosexual main character, hot female lead, and bunny women will, of course, remain intact.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 08:19:30 AM

Call me when they make a sequel to Final Fantasy III.  Terra could convey more angst with two pixels of motion than all the shitty characters in all the FF games made after that combined.

Since I am forced to assume that FFXII is heading back to the drawing board, probably to have any sort of Vagrant-Story-ness removed, the cure for both of us might be to get the PS1 FFVI (instead of US-FFIII).  Actually I think I have that laying around somewhere since I like to get completely drunk and wander into EB.  The PS1 re-release of FFVI is the full JP version, I think... or maybe I'm thinking of FFIV (US-FFII) which was chopped to hell for the US release.  Personally, my favorite is #4.

schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 08:40:52 AM

Cecil > Locke, yes.

But Lock was a Treasure Hunter. And Final Fantasy VI/III was also the best looking game on the SNES in addition to being easily in the top 10 role playing games of all time. That's quite the achievement.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 08:42:26 AM

I hated the Ending to US FFIII, and refused to touch the game again.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 09:08:47 AM

Yeah FF XII was originally supposed to be released March 2004 in Japan and the latest I had heard for it pre-E3 was Spring 2006 so this is yet another delay.
I read somewhere yesterday that Square-Enix announced that FF XII is still on track for release in Japan by March 2006 (end of their fiscal year) so that Fall 2006 date must be for the outside-Japan release. I had to reboot my machine yesterday to downgrade my video drivers so I lost the URL to that reference but I'll try to dig it up later today.

Edit: Here's the press release I was referring to above.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 10:48:49 PM by Trippy »
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 09:09:31 AM

Sigh. Seriously. XII was the first one i was looking forward to since VII.

RAGE.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 09:29:16 AM

You can still pick up a JPN PS2 for about two hundy, if it's that important to you. Then you can also play all the fucked up dating/princess RPGs.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 09:30:28 AM

You can still pick up a JPN PS2 for about two hundy, if it's that important to you. Then you can also play all the fucked up dating/princess RPGs.

two hundy?

YOUR SLANG MUST DIE.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 09:31:38 AM

Ninja please. It's just an east-side/west-side thang.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 09:32:22 AM

DON'T BE HAT-IN'!

WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 09:32:31 AM

I live 200 miles north of you and I think it is annoying too.  evil

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 09:32:49 AM

But the west side sounds retarded.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 09:32:52 AM

It's a speak and type proper english thing.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #25 on: May 19, 2005, 09:36:08 AM

Whatevs. You just wait and see. You'll be bitin' off my flavor. The abbreviations thing (we call it "abbreves") has already gone east coast.

As far as speaking and typing proper English goes: those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, eh Shockeye?

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: May 19, 2005, 12:07:03 PM

The abbreviations thing (we call it "abbreves") has already gone east coast.

Looks like I have a long day of killing ahead of me.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #27 on: May 19, 2005, 12:08:52 PM

What, like Biggie and Tu Pac?

Schild, who the fuck is my avatar?

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: May 19, 2005, 12:10:01 PM

What, like Biggie and Tu Pac?

Schild, who the fuck is my avatar?

It's your punishment.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #29 on: May 19, 2005, 12:10:54 PM

For what? Why did you guys lock my profile? I've never been able to change my avatar anyway, so why the hate?

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: May 19, 2005, 12:13:22 PM

For what? Why did you guys lock my profile? I've never been able to change my avatar anyway, so why the hate?

Why the slang?
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #31 on: May 19, 2005, 12:15:58 PM

Be happy it wasn't Don LaPre.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #32 on: May 19, 2005, 12:16:37 PM

Cuz I don't know what the hell rofl and roflcopter mean.

You should just open your heart to my slang. Let me have my profile back, you big bullies!

You guys are mean. cry Look, you made me cry.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 12:19:47 PM by voodoolily »

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #33 on: May 19, 2005, 12:23:01 PM

The correct way to say that is: Homie don't play dat!  angry

Anyways.....Wtf?
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #34 on: May 19, 2005, 12:24:00 PM

Your new avatar makes me cry.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Square-Enix: Slower than a geriatric slug on a salted snowed in street  
Jump to: