Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:28:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Nintendo - what.the.fuck. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nintendo - what.the.fuck.  (Read 70630 times)
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #70 on: May 18, 2005, 11:05:08 AM

Nintendo is at least trying to facilitate non-franchised games that have something new.

What non-franchised games is Nintendo making? The new Zelda? Pokemon RPG? Mario DDR?

The only thing I can think of is Nintendogs, which I don't even consider a game.

Electroplankton, Geist, Trace Memory, Screwbreaker, Atomic Betty, Chibi Robo, etc. Yes, they may be a little puzzle-heavy, but hey.

Sigh. I give up. I guess what it boils down to is that I prefer Nintendo franchises over the others.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #71 on: May 18, 2005, 11:19:41 AM

Of those you mentioned, I have heard of Geist.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #72 on: May 18, 2005, 11:52:24 AM

They're all pretty much GBA or DS games.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #73 on: May 19, 2005, 07:23:59 AM

This is probably as good a thread as any for this.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: May 19, 2005, 08:16:05 AM

My life is incomplete until I possess a mustard yellow Revolution.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #75 on: May 19, 2005, 08:17:14 AM

That looks more like Jolly Rancher Green to me.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #76 on: May 19, 2005, 08:21:48 AM

The important implication you both seem to be missing is that the inclusion of GameCube controller ports could very well mean that the missing Rev controller is going to be a crazy piece of equipment that is somehow unsuitable for playing Cube games.  Think about it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: May 19, 2005, 08:39:32 AM

I want the yellow one if I get any of them. It's trashy enough to be sexy.

Ok, so, it has game ports? So, you have to use the old wavebird adapter to make shit wireless?

REVOLUTION INDEED.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #78 on: May 19, 2005, 08:47:29 AM

Ok, so, it has game ports? So, you have to use the old wavebird adapter to make shit wireless?

Negative.  Looks like the Wavebird dongle won't fit due to the flip cover... I think the flat part is the top... I keep my Cube behind a wooden door and can't remember.  I thought I read confirmation of integrated wireless, both controllers and wifi?  Or was it just networking?

schild
Administrator

Reply #79 on: May 19, 2005, 08:48:14 AM

I'm just fucking with you guys. There's no way Nintendo would have controller ports on their shit and make them necessary. They aren't THAT stupid.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #80 on: May 19, 2005, 08:57:23 AM

Ah, good one.  I'm trying to stay cynical about the Rev, but for some reason it's hard.  Even knowing that it's dumb to assume Nintendo isn't stupid enough to fuck up something I consider obvious.  Online support?  Removing progressive-scan ability from recently-manufactured Cubes?  Selling the component-video cable only online?  They are pretty stupid at times.

schild
Administrator

Reply #81 on: May 19, 2005, 09:07:17 AM

Ah, thanks, I need to order one of those component cables, mine has that digital output on the back.

Too bad I can't get the cable on the cheap because of them though. Fucking Apple types.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #82 on: May 19, 2005, 09:26:09 AM

I want the yellow one if I get any of them. It's trashy enough to be sexy.

REVOLUTION INDEED.

Oh, no honeys. That's chartreuse (my favorite color).

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #83 on: May 19, 2005, 09:28:15 AM

Nintendo... Why Make it Interesting When you Can Just Make a New Color!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #84 on: May 19, 2005, 09:29:52 AM

Ah, thanks, I need to order one of those component cables, mine has that digital output on the back.

Too bad I can't get the cable on the cheap because of them though. Fucking Apple types.

It's worth it.  I'm not going back to composite or s-video.  Ever.  In typical Nintendo fashion, though, each time you boot a game that does progressive, which is actually ~90% of them, it asks if you want to display in progressive mode.  Well, of course I do, you purple piece of shit!  At least some of them will eventually take the "yes" option (RE4), but I haven't bothered waiting that long for most games.

Contrast the PS2 component cable that I bought used.  It took three trips to the soldering-iron clinic to resuscitate that corpse, and it still cost me $35.  If you have ever tried to solder a component Monster cable, you understand my aggrivation.

schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: May 19, 2005, 09:31:49 AM

The monster components for PS2 destroyed my old one to the point that I had to convince the guy at another store to take it in trade as working back when you could get $100 for it. They were too heavy for the connector. I have the sony official ones now. They're hot. And light.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #86 on: May 19, 2005, 09:47:50 AM

They were too heavy for the connector.

The fantastic part is that they don't need to be.  It's all sheathing; the cable is only 2% metal.  Soldering four strands of hair isn't fun.  I do have the cable supported, though, so I should be able to hold out until the PS3 barrels out of Sony's colon.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #87 on: May 20, 2005, 07:11:57 AM

Reuters Story

So Nintendo's president thinks that games are too confusing and difficult, feels that there is no room for improvement of graphics, sound, and complex storytelling, and he wants to create and sell games to people who don't like ... games.

That's fantastic.  Aim for the people who think that video games just waste electricity and are too stupid to handle the complexities of making Mario jump.  Then enable twenty year old content on it and have the audacity to call it "Revolution".
schild
Administrator

Reply #88 on: May 20, 2005, 08:06:35 AM

Well, a revolution doesn't necessarily mean what we'd think it would mean. He may have made a complete 180 and started chasing the past.

In that case, I suppose, the name is fitting.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #89 on: May 20, 2005, 08:46:08 AM

They are only calling it the Revolution so they can justify playing that 80's song on the commercials.

You spin me right round baby right round
Like a record player right round round roudn

schild
Administrator

Reply #90 on: May 20, 2005, 08:51:42 AM

Nintendo can't use that. Dead or Alive is exclusive to the Xbox360.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: May 20, 2005, 03:11:07 PM

So Nintendo's president thinks that games are too confusing and difficult, feels that there is no room for improvement of graphics, sound, and complex storytelling, and he wants to create and sell games to people who don't like ... games.

That's a pretty common theme in the industry. Not that there is no room for improvement, but that the technology is often not the limiting factor anymore and the graphical gains are less dramatic. See all people complaining about XBox360 games looking like PS2 games? That's what that's about. Just upping the graphics ante over and over again isn't working for a variety of reasons.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #92 on: May 20, 2005, 03:15:11 PM

I kinda hafta agree with Margalis, although I am still annoyed at that sort of shoulder-shrugging and generic "meh" attitude about better game development. But truly, what Nintendo needs is more customers. The ones they already have tend to be pretty die-hard.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #93 on: May 21, 2005, 12:55:56 PM

Frankly, yeah, I'm done looking for shinier graphics.  What we have works fine, and making them better and better is only going to cause production budgets to grow exponentially.  I'd rather have a good story and a fun game.  I don't think I'd change a thing about the graphics in RE4.

So I can see where he's going there with the graphics thing.  What I don't understand is why he'd say that games don't need better stories or gameplay though.  Uh... so wait... you don't want to use graphics as gimmicks to attract players... and you don't want a good story to draw them in... and you don't want your game to be fun.  Uh.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #94 on: May 23, 2005, 11:14:21 AM

The previous console generation is, IMO, the last one where graphical improvements meant shit. The next one... not so much at all. There are only two places the new consoles can go that will mean diddly squat; more processing power and a better interface. I don't mean a better software interface, or more connectivity options, or customization. I'm talking about a new type of controller, something like the mouse, that makes us go, "How did we ever play games without this?" No, adding more buttons onto an already overcrowded controller won't do it. I have no idea what this controller will be, but the first console that can come up with such a controller will win.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #95 on: May 23, 2005, 11:26:35 AM

I'm talking about a new type of controller, something like the mouse, that makes us go, "How did we ever play games without this?" No, adding more buttons onto an already overcrowded controller won't do it. I have no idea what this controller will be, but the first console that can come up with such a controller will win.

Save up for the Revolution because, well, it's probably our only hope for such a thing.  We won't know until Nintendo thinks Sony and MicroSoft won't be able to steal their controller idea, so sometime in 2006.  Hopefully we won't get the VirtualBoy of controllers.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #96 on: May 23, 2005, 11:47:16 AM

I'm talking about a new type of controller, something like the mouse, that makes us go, "How did we ever play games without this?" No, adding more buttons onto an already overcrowded controller won't do it. I have no idea what this controller will be, but the first console that can come up with such a controller will win.

You mean like in existenZ?

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #97 on: May 23, 2005, 01:13:22 PM

Congratulations on disgusting me with both an avatar and an img.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #98 on: May 23, 2005, 01:46:01 PM

Yes, yes, I am a very talented individual.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: May 23, 2005, 02:02:19 PM

Says the man with the "ideas man who should always leave directing to someone capable" avatar?

eXistenZ kicked ass. Or, soft biomass game consoles plugged into a "bioport" in your spine, and guns made from bones, shooting teeth, kicked ass with the multiple levels of reality and oh no I've gone crosseyed and need to sit down.

And the MTV LOTR spoof with Jack Black and Sarah Michelle Gellar also kicked ass.

What is there to be disgusted about?

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #100 on: May 23, 2005, 02:03:29 PM

Wow. Way to get my back, AOFanboi.  cheesy

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #101 on: May 24, 2005, 08:07:37 AM

I don't want to pick up someone else's controller after they've used it for long periods of time. Catass takes on a whole new meaning.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #102 on: May 24, 2005, 09:07:14 AM

Shit, if you just give it a bath and a nap it's as good as new!

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #103 on: May 24, 2005, 12:43:23 PM

Says the man with the "ideas man who should always leave directing to someone capable" avatar?

Yeah, I need to fix that now that douchebag week is over.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Nintendo - what.the.fuck.  
Jump to: