Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:25:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: A Vacuum that Doesn't Suck: Starport Galactic Empires Review 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Vacuum that Doesn't Suck: Starport Galactic Empires Review  (Read 31496 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: May 13, 2005, 12:59:05 PM

WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 01:07:58 PM

Sounds interesting. If I ever have enough time, I may very well check it out.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 04:07:49 PM

It it fully realtime or is there some kind of anti-catass time management mechanic?

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 06:04:35 PM

Fully realtime. When I played, I was in first for a while, then dead last, then ended somewhere in the middle. The catass doesn't necessarily always win. EXP is largely skill based. If you destroy a much higher level ship/ranked person you will net the appropriate exp and TONS of shit.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 07:42:20 PM

It it fully realtime or is there some kind of anti-catass time management mechanic?
There is an anti-catass feature which is that moving around in the game costs Warp Fuel. You start the game with a certain amount (like 2000 units) and then everytime you warp to another system or land on a planet or starport you use up a certain amount of fuel. You also slowly gain one unit of fuel every few minutes even when logged off. For the non-poor catasses you can buy Admiral Tokens with real life money and then exchange those tokens for in game things including warp fuel unless you are playing one of the special "Subscriber Point" games which cost $5 to join but don't allow you to buy Admiral Tokens. So basically Warp Fuel is the limiting factor on how much you can accomplish in the game within a given time period unless you are willing to buy tokens (in the games that allow it).
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 11:03:43 AM

The only thing I care about is PvP.  How is ship to ship pvp combat?  Is it Everquest (click autoattack and have HP run down) or Star Trek (have to keep adjusting things and moving around, vaguely homoerotic bridge banter)?

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 12:17:06 PM

Think Star Control 2. It's almost the exact same thing. Each ship has two weapons, a normal weapon (which you can change out by buying a new one) and a special weapon. The special weapons are different for each type of ship, and include things like "cargo disrupt" which makes your target lose the contents of one cargo hold, or repel, which does just that, or a cloaking device. Each ship handles differently, some turn faster, have faster speed, etc. You thrust with the Up arrow key, thrust reverse with the back arrow key and turn with the left and right arrow keys. Inertia and gravity of planets are in full effect. If you get to close to the sun or a planet, it's gravity well will draw you in. Hitting a planet/sun/wall (when on planet), you lose energy, which regenerates quickly and is used to fire weapons. Your HP are called shields and each ship has a different max level of shields. You really have to work on turning, because if you overshoot your turn you have to come back.

I'm mediocre at combat myself. I got pwned hard last night, but did manage to pwn one guy back.

Kcaz64

Email
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 01:08:32 PM

I've been playing starport for about a year now, and i've just recently gotten skilled in PvP.

Mostly is consists of having good aim with far range weapons (to do this you have to understand the physics that goes on in the game so you can guess where the enemy will be next) and being able to dodge enemy bullets, which I find the hardest seeing as in most fights I go full speed and can't turn fast.

Anyway, Great review! Hopefully it'll get us more players.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 09:33:07 PM

Star Control 2 was a fun game, although some of the matchups between ships were hilariously bad. Hard to balance when certain ships have only short-range weapons.

I really like that kind of game, that has some strategic elements and some tactical/action ones as well, without being super-complex.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
loank
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 12:56:02 AM

i hack on game lost my colony so game suck i lost level 3 colony 7day of work lost  Mob i do not no who works on game i can fun on game no hacker
good day
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 01:03:15 AM

i hack on game lost my colony so game suck i lost level 3 colony 7day of work lost Mob i do not no who works on game i can fun on game no hacker
good day

This might be the best post I've ever seen. There's so much emotion that comes through with so little content. Perhaps it's some sort of viral marketing thing. Whatever it is, thank you.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 07:28:51 AM

Holy Fuck, I think the Engrish center of my brain just imploded.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 08:43:29 AM

All game maker go for look butt not fun, eh?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 08:50:48 AM

Quite funny, but it still deserves the necropost image.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
WayAbvPar

Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 09:22:43 AM

i hack on game lost my colony so game suck i lost level 3 colony 7day of work lost Mob i do not no who works on game i can fun on game no hacker
good day

This might be the best post I've ever seen. There's so much emotion that comes through with so little content. Perhaps it's some sort of viral marketing thing. Whatever it is, thank you.

Can you make that into a banner? That derserves to be on the front page under 'From the Forums..."

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Maniacus
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 10:56:06 PM

Just followed a link to here from the Starport Forum. Loank is a running gag with us now as well. (I coined the phrase Loankish to describe his "native" language. Even after being asked where he is from, he has never been willing to answer)

Saw your request for a banner.... so I made one for you. Just follow instructions in the email I sent for the coding and it's good to go. sent to your MSN.. Anyhow that's why I'm here. Besides I think it's hilarious that loank is a joke wherever he goes. ;) banner will appear as the quote above.

[edit] didn't realize this thread was over a year old... new to fourm didn't check date... hope you can still use the banner tho.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:16:49 PM by Maniacus »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 10:06:05 AM

I do miss loank.  I plan to miss the people from the Starport forum as well.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 10:44:00 AM

I think I'll bump this thread in 2010, just because.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 10:56:20 AM

Because you spend all your time in the Graveyard anyway?  What's up with that UO patch?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:08:28 PM

You missed your bus WUA.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: A Vacuum that Doesn't Suck: Starport Galactic Empires Review  
Jump to: