Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:23:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Name Reservation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name Reservation  (Read 14296 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #35 on: April 21, 2004, 10:26:37 AM

Actually, the names I think up are so lame, no one ever wants them.  So far I reserved Signe... never had a problem getting my real name, though sometimes I feel a bit rejected,  Angry Girl... which I had no problem making yesterday on both servers and Gunda Hjordis... most people don't even know what it means, let alone are able to spell it... but she has HORNS!  It's not like I reserved SirBruce or anything.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #36 on: April 21, 2004, 11:06:54 AM

Hummmmmm

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 21, 2004, 05:31:14 PM

People were talking today about a flaw in the reservation system.

Although you can only reserve one name, because they are doing this through the server rather than a web form or something, you can go ahead and fill up all the character slots.  While 7 of those 8 names will not technically be "reserved" (in fact, they say they'll pick one at random), you will "block" those names from being picked by someone else.  That someone else will just as well think it's reserved.

Come launch, when you log in, you'll be able to grab your reserved name and then quickly grab the other names you "blocked" from being reserved by creating characters in those slots.

Bruce
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #38 on: April 21, 2004, 07:12:24 PM

Quote from: SirBruce
Blah, Blah, Blah

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't want to waste my one name on taking Sir Bruce, but now I'll just snatch it up with one of my extras.

I tried to get "Imaginary Sky Friend" so I could hover above the city and broadcast inspirational messages of moral condemnation at people, but the name was too long and using ImaginarySkyFriend is for chumps/losers.

In the end I reserved "Angry Bob" to counter-grief whoever griefed me by taking it in beta.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #39 on: April 21, 2004, 09:21:59 PM

I didn't reserve any Stone names sicne they are  a dime a dozen, but I got Bloodfire for my Science Invuln/Fire tanker should I go that route.  Someone took Burnt Offering though, and that makes me sad.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 22, 2004, 05:20:50 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
Come launch, when you log in, you'll be able to grab your reserved name and then quickly grab the other names you "blocked" from being reserved by creating characters in those slots.

A good point, but it no longer applies:

Name Reservation system has been changed. They imply it's a response to some sort of outcry. Short form: we must create throw-aways on four different servers. I don't quite get this part either. Why four and not all?

This is an overly complicated approach to something I think would have been more easily solved by only allowing us to create one character on the Name Reservation Server at all.

And the worst part is? This doesn't solve the problem. As long as we can create 7 characters on each of these four servers, players can effectively block 7 names per server. Gaff.

Anyway, onto the news.

First this:

http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/item219.html

The beta and pre-order players have been heard loud-and-clear regarding their concerns with the current name reservation system. We have listened attentively and hope this newly revised process is both clearer and easier to implement. We apologize for any confusion and/or inconvenience that our previous name reservation system created. You’ll find detailed information about our new name reservation process for both beta testing accounts AND pre-order accounts here

Then this:

http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/item218.html

Here’s the good news about name reservation – both beta testing accounts AND pre-order accounts have the ability to reserve character names ahead of time! (If you have both types of accounts, remember that you’ll want to apply the name reservation to your Pre-order so you have the name reservation, Prestige Power and 3 Day Head Start all on the same account. If you only have a beta account or a pre-order account, you’ll want to use your respective one for the name reservation).

Name reservation will now be accomplished by logging into each of the following servers individually and creating a "throw away" character with the name reservation you want. Your name can be the same on each server if you’d like (and if you can get it before someone else), or it can be different. Here are the servers that will be available for name reservation:

Prime (character names reserved on this server will be saved and accessible on the Freedom server once the 3 Day Head Start begins)

Justice

Pinnacle

Victory (formerly Name Reservation). If you already reserved a name on the Name Reservation server, you don’t need to do so again.

On each server, create a throw-away hero IN ANY CHARACTER SLOT. Doing this on EACH server will reserve your chosen name on that server ONLY .Here’s a step-by-step walkthrough of what you’ll need to do:

1. The above game servers are currently up and will remain up until 11:00pm CDT on Thursday, April 22nd. At your earliest availability, log into the game with your pre-order or beta account. (Remember if you have one of each; always go with the pre-order account!)

2. Don’t waste time – click through the process as quickly as possible to make sure that you get the name you want before anyone else does. The origin, archetype, power sets, individual powers, and costume options you choose don’t matter – just choose anything and whip right through them. Remember – this character is going to get wiped come the 22nd – it’s the name you are reserving and should concentrate on.

3. When you arrive at Hero Registration, type in your desired name and click on "Enter Paragon City." (Don’t worry about Character Description or Battle Cry – these will not be saved).

4. Wait until the tutorial loads, and you see your character standing inside the game. Then quit out of the game right away. Congratulations! You will have reserved your desired name in the number one character slot. Your character should be claimable as soon as the 3 Day Head Start begins. All you have to do to claim them is create the character you really want (once the servers become available), and assign them the name you reserved for that server.

*Note: As you reserve a name on each server…if they are different, you might want to write down which name you reserved on which server.

5. If you are unable to claim your reserved name(s) during the 3 Day Head Start, no worries – the character name(s) will be kept in our databases until 11:59pm (CDT) on Saturday, May 15th at which time all unclaimed reserved names will be released for use by anyone who has purchased a retail box.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!!

While its okay to create your reserved character names in ANY SLOT on each individual server, at the time of beta completion (11:00pm CDT on Thursday, April 22nd), your reserved character must be the ONLY CHARACTER in a slot. At the end of beta, if you have more than one character existing on a server, you will get NO CHARACTER RESERVATION on that server! So don’t forget to delete all your non-name-reservation characters by 11:00pm CDT time on the 22nd!!!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #41 on: April 22, 2004, 06:12:19 AM

Yes, I was reading this a bit ago and now I'm confused enough to ignore the whole fucking mess.  I tried to reserve 'Confused', 'No Reservation' or 'I'll just eat at the Bar'  but it wouldn't let me.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #42 on: April 22, 2004, 06:53:45 AM

They changed it AGAIN apparently. Any server you have more than one character made on when they take the servers down, you lose all the names on that server and they all go up for grabs. It doesn't matter what slot they're in, but you can only have one guy made on each server.

I had some really great names too.

edit-I just noticed that Darniaq posted the rules. I'm leaving this though in case someone skips over it like I did.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #43 on: April 22, 2004, 07:09:56 PM

Quote from: Ookii
I got Ms. Voyeur even though the gm said, "Flesh colored costumes are not allowed, please log off and delete your character immediately."  I think i'm going to go for the *ahem* "flesh colored costume" character, but then again what happens when I hit level 25 and a gm deems my toon "inappropriate".  Well anyway, no matter what kind of powers I pick (looks like i'm going energy blaster/gadgets) I will be some sort of skimpy chick.

Sadly...

Patch Release Notes (4/22/04)

Costumes

Flesh-toned colors have been removed from the list of available costume colors.

NO NUDE FOR YOU!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #44 on: April 22, 2004, 07:59:30 PM

I don't see what the big deal is with the flesh tones.  It's not as if anyone has any gentalia.  Hell, on Ryzom even the girl n00bs have plumbers crack.  Some of the clothing is actually more provocative than the blandly naked costumes.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #45 on: April 22, 2004, 10:54:54 PM

Costume colors and flesh tones are not mutually exclusive. You just have to be a tad more creative with the "flesh color" than WASP pink.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #46 on: April 23, 2004, 12:17:15 PM

Quote from: cevik
Remember, this is all thanks to HaemishM

I just reserved "The Red Scare"..

My battle cry:  "To Each According To His Need!"

Fucking commie. :)

I missed out on the name reservation thanks to my PC blowing a gasket. Hopefully I will get my issues settled before Sunday.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Name Reservation  
Jump to: