Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:49:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (PC) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (PC)  (Read 34738 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: March 31, 2005, 09:10:16 AM

Sure, the multiplayer could be better with a mouse and keyboard, but the single-player is still luv.

Play the first and second one on the PSP. It's like double the luv.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: March 31, 2005, 09:10:40 AM

Wipe the drool, son.

schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: March 31, 2005, 09:15:24 AM

Wipe the drool, son.

There is no drool. The DRM gave me a rotten case of cottonmouth.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #38 on: March 31, 2005, 09:18:51 AM

You sure that isn't crotchrot?

schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: March 31, 2005, 09:46:20 AM

You sure that isn't crotchrot?

Who can ever be sure with this piracy protection bullshit? I mean, really.

The Shadow doesn't even know what evil lurks in the heart of my limited edition Splinter Cell box.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 31, 2005, 05:53:32 PM

Who can ever be sure with this piracy protection bullshit? I mean, really.

What I find amusing is that I've already cracked my (purchased) copy of Silent Hunter III, so it's not even like StarForce is at all effective at preventing people from pirating games with it as DRM.  I've got to assume that the crack for Splinter Cell is already out too, so once again, who is this meant to stop? 

Pirates are going to crack your shit, that's just a fact of life. You're not going to come up with a bulletproof solution, so all you're really doing is pissing off legit customers and tarnishing your brand.  I didn't go as far as Schild and return SH3 when I found out it had StarForce, but guess what?  I now know better than to buy a copy of Splinter Cell 3, and I'm somebody who happily bought the first two.  So well done, gang.  That's several lost sales just at this site alone.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #41 on: March 31, 2005, 06:18:47 PM

Cracks are all well and good, but cracks won't let you play online. Seems to me that's the big hook for SC3.

I would've bought it to play online if it wasn't for Starforce. Safedisc, Laserlock, whatever is fine. No way to Starforce.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 01, 2005, 06:37:33 AM

I was in the store today and noticed the European version did not list any form of "copy protection" anywhere on the box. Does that mean the European release is sans the machine rape the U.S. version has?

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
schild
Administrator

Reply #43 on: April 01, 2005, 06:38:40 AM

I was in the store today and noticed the European version did not list any form of "copy protection" anywhere on the box. Does that mean the European release is sans the machine rape the U.S. version has?

If that's true I'd get even angrier.

I'm still not opening the box until a crack appears to disable Star Force or UBISoft issues a patch removing that toxic shit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: April 01, 2005, 06:43:41 AM

You know what. Fuck it. I'm getting the Xbox Version. I have that new Midway fighting controller with the moved black/white buttons and I like it - a lot.

I'm still super pissed and will go out of my way to complain about UBISoft. They've entered the levels of hell in my brain reserved for Electronic Arts, Serek Dmart, and the Nintendo DS launch lineup.
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: April 01, 2005, 08:54:38 AM

There are no Limited Editions left here for Xbox. I'm about to drive up into the next town over. Goddamnit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: April 01, 2005, 06:21:58 PM

Alright, dictated a little company policy up at EB and convinced them to give me one of the preorders someone hadn't picked up after 72 hours. No fun for the lazy. But there is fun for me. Suckers.

Here's to hoping it doesn't fry my Xbox with some sort of weird copy protection. Bastards. French.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 03, 2005, 11:09:08 AM

I've been wondering, anybody know if installing and running the game under Virtual Machine would defeat starforce's effect on the hardware entirely, or is it so invasive it works itself around that?  I really, really, really want to play the game's multiplayer without having to deal with the PS2 loading time bullshit or having to buy another new console for it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #48 on: April 03, 2005, 05:39:51 PM

I've been wondering, anybody know if installing and running the game under Virtual Machine would defeat starforce's effect on the hardware entirely, or is it so invasive it works itself around that?

It works around that. Let's put it this way: there are still games that haven't been pirated because of Star Force. We're talking year old (and more) games. It is ruthless and effective. It will also keep me from ever purchasing a game it appears on.
schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: April 05, 2005, 02:33:28 PM

This is by far the best Splinter Cell to date. I'm just uber pissed that I have to play it on Xbox. It's so...so....easy.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: April 06, 2005, 12:29:44 PM

I've been wondering, anybody know if installing and running the game under Virtual Machine would defeat starforce's effect on the hardware entirely, or is it so invasive it works itself around that?

It works around that. Let's put it this way: there are still games that haven't been pirated because of Star Force. We're talking year old (and more) games. It is ruthless and effective. It will also keep me from ever purchasing a game it appears on.

I'm glad it can prevent piracy, but at what cost?

The fact that I can't use a virtual drive to image my kid's games so I don't have to search for CDs whenever they want to load up Bob the Builder vs. Elmo the Pink Dinosaur Sings Hot Potato royaly pisses me off. Pisses me off to the point that I will not buy their game.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #51 on: April 06, 2005, 12:52:38 PM

I would like to demand a front page review of "Elmo the Pink Dinosaur Sings Hot Potato".
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #52 on: April 06, 2005, 12:56:34 PM

I would like to demand a front page review of "Elmo the Pink Dinosaur Sings Hot Potato".

You do not want to open Pandora's Elmo's box. Trust me.
Radioactive_matt

Email
Reply #53 on: April 07, 2005, 09:36:17 AM

was browsing for a solution to this shitty starforce stuff, and found your forum. ther is stuff to remove the gay drivers 'n stuff here : http://m0011.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_protection_starforce.shtml hope it helps

in the words of jay of jay and silent bob fame: fuck them, fuck them up their stupid asses
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: April 07, 2005, 09:37:19 AM

Yea, the problem with gamecopyworlds stuff, is you can't play the game without starforce installed. Someone needs to make a program that dummies the computer into thinking it's still there.

And apparently that's hard.
Radioactive_matt

Email
Reply #55 on: April 07, 2005, 09:54:02 AM

they did manage to make a steam emulator, but i guess this is harder. the main use of the tools is getting rid of the stuff after you uninstall the game. (this would probably prevent the 2 copies/ 2 machines problem mentioned earlier).
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #56 on: April 08, 2005, 05:42:29 PM

According to GameCopyWorld, there is a crack out for Splinter Cell now.

It uses a program called "Starforce Nightmare" to disable CD drives. Here's the blurb from the readme.

This tool lets you deactivate CDRom drives in your system. Actually it supports
not just deactivating of all drives on IDE channel, like starfuck it do, but even a
cd drive separately. Also the combination of hard drive and cd drive on the same channel
would be possible too.
This program is the technical further stage of starfuck project. The project starfuck
had to be freezed for undefined time because our development team has changed.
Before using this program keep in mind: all what you do, you do on your own risk.
Be carefull, if you are using it: not all features will work for every one, it depends
on your hardware and software combination.
If you are not sure about it, delete this program.
tripz1196

Email
Reply #57 on: April 09, 2005, 06:46:42 AM

o_O...i think i'm gonna give in to the evil StarForce, hell..i bought a copy of SC:CT on ebay for 24 bucks with shipping can't beat that..only downside is, i get no manual or box since its in a foreign language, the game is in english so i really don't care.

EDIT:
And although I'm a hardcore n00b when it comes to StarForce and only read people's opinions about what it does, it seems the company that released SF does make improvements to it's drivers and does have an uninstall utility that they have posted on their website. Call me a sucker for listening to "claims" listed by today's corporate world, but I'll give this game a try, run a couple cd/dvd duplication programs, and see if i run into any major problems and see if that uninstaller with a registry clean does in fact uninstall SF completely from my system.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 08:20:07 AM by tripz1196 »
schild
Administrator

Reply #58 on: April 09, 2005, 08:40:23 AM

o_O...i think i'm gonna give in to the evil StarForce, hell..i bought a copy of SC:CT on ebay for 24 bucks with shipping can't beat that..only downside is, i get no manual or box since its in a foreign language, the game is in english so i really don't care.

EDIT:
And although I'm a hardcore n00b when it comes to StarForce and only read people's opinions about what it does, it seems the company that released SF does make improvements to it's drivers and does have an uninstall utility that they have posted on their website. Call me a sucker for listening to "claims" listed by today's corporate world, but I'll give this game a try, run a couple cd/dvd duplication programs, and see if i run into any major problems and see if that uninstaller with a registry clean does in fact uninstall SF completely from my system.

I'm gonna chance this post scaring you away because it has to be done.

1. Get rid of that nasty ass signature. We don't care about your machine specs or the length of your penis.
2. You get no manual or box since it's in a foreign language? Congratulations, you just bought illicit merchandise. You'll be lucky to get the actual game in some functioning form.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #59 on: April 09, 2005, 09:16:19 AM

Roflcopter

Post++

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
tripz1196

Email
Reply #60 on: April 10, 2005, 10:13:00 PM

I'm gonna chance this post scaring you away because it has to be done.

1. Get rid of that nasty ass signature. We don't care about your machine specs or the length of your penis.
2. You get no manual or box since it's in a foreign language? Congratulations, you just bought illicit merchandise. You'll be lucky to get the actual game in some functioning form.
Dude,
1. You call yourself an ADMIN? man, hopefully your ONE of them and not the only one. I can tell you suck at doing your job just by reading your asshole response...oh, sorry, did i say job? i mean it's only what you do on your freetime right?  You don't do this for a living right?...that would suck...
2. All i did was state my purchasing of a LEGITIMATE game. Please, don't give me that "illicit" merchandise crap...I don't have to be lucky, it WILL run...obviously your putting your past experiences or experiences of people you know getting ripped off buying foreign games, but i've only had good luck so far, thanks for the congratulations BTW, i know i got the best deal so far and got a 100% running game, hey if it doesn't any copy protection on it maybe ill send you a copy.
3. you think i give two shits about what you and other people think about my sig? For all it matters I can put whatever the hell i want. What's it to you? and BTW I have a huge dick  so i don't gotta worry about that wink
schild
Administrator

Reply #61 on: April 10, 2005, 10:44:11 PM

Dude,

1.You're
2.Getting
3.A
4.Ban
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: April 10, 2005, 11:51:59 PM

Awww, give him a chance!  He could have been amusing.

Bruce
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #63 on: April 11, 2005, 09:15:14 AM

3. you think i give two shits about what you and other people think about my sig? For all it matters I can put whatever the hell i want. What's it to you? and BTW I have a huge dick  so i don't gotta worry about that wink

Wow, I've seen some opening day stupidity, but...

I wonder if he realized that someone was actually paying for the bandwidth he's using to "put whatever the hell [he] wants" on the web. I must have forgot how Internet hosting was free for all and what not.

Entitlement. It's not just for oppressed minorities anymore.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #64 on: April 12, 2005, 07:09:40 AM

Nothing like a banning to start off the day right.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (PC)  
Jump to: