Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:35:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Shrinking (Apple) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shrinking (Apple)  (Read 1247 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: March 15, 2023, 07:31:20 AM

Trailer.

Started this one last night and it was hard to turn it off and go to bed after three episodes.  It's very charming in the same way Ted Lasso is.

Ted McGinley in the minor supporting role of "husband of the nosy neighbor" cracks me up every time he's on screen.  Took me a while to figure out where I knew him from -- "was this guy in something I watched in the 90s?" I asked out loud before figuring it out.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 09:50:51 AM

That's a very specific brand of typecasting! I have to assume it was at least somewhat on purpose.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 05:32:33 PM

The reviewers really hate this, for the most part.

The trailer kind of makes me hate it. Like, the low-functioning therapist--all the empathy in the world, mind you--is not a sympathetic figure to build a comedy around in my own experience of things. Needs a big sell before I'm like "oh yeah that's the guy I want to care about".
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 07:59:26 PM

Reactions seem polarized, with most people really liking it and a few people detesting it.  Shrug.  

I had a few people IRL recommend it to me before I decided to give it a try (the only bad reviews I've seen are online), and it just got its hooks into us immediately.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 08:58:02 PM

I just think I'd really like something that isn't built about a low-functioning man who needs an entire village of other people to talk him back into adulthood for a change. It's a funny character archetype, only not so much when it's the go-to for almost every male adult in anything comedic.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 11:47:52 PM

It's great. Shut the fuck up and watch it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 08:26:15 PM

This is pretty good. It def has some weak points that if someone can't get past I can understand and I'm sorry you aren't having fun with something that def has a lot of fun stuff mixed with enough wow life is shit to make it all seem both light and heavy.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 09:07:32 PM

Harrison Ford is great in this.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 10:28:32 AM

Show grows on you, like it a lot more now, heading into final episode than I did episode 1.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Shrinking (Apple)  
Jump to: