Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:34:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Sandman (Netflix) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Sandman (Netflix)  (Read 2697 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: July 27, 2022, 12:11:08 AM

Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ClbRPRDXU

August 5.

Trailer breakdown from the man himself (lots of spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e54llvV_tc

An inside look (from Gaiman and others): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fyja48qK2g
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 12:29:45 AM by Trippy »
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 08:04:44 PM

I can't wait.  It looks like they are really putting a lot into this and bringing the world to life. 

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 11:33:01 AM

I hate getting my hopes up, because I really liked the comics and that's always a recipe for having hopes dashed, but what I've seen so far looks good.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 12:05:22 PM

I've been watching racist nitwits argue with Neil Gaiman himself over casting.

It's been both hilarious and really fucking sad. They're so salty Death is being played by a black woman.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 12:36:10 PM

I read the comics when they came out and Death's look there, at least with the original artist and character designer, as a young (white) goth girl, is iconic. Given the origins / inspiration for the goth look (Victorian-era mourning) it was a great choice for Death to take that appearance and I thought the youth aspect was a nice juxtaposition to the Death usually being associated with old age / skeletons / etc.. I'll just have to watch it and see if this new "look" for Death fits in with this adaption.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 12:37:44 PM

Death canonically looks different to every person she meets.  IIRC during the run she's male, female, black, white, and alien.

And again, Neil's own creation and he was behind the casting.

And, and I cannot stress this enough, black people can be goth too. It's not exactly a white person only style.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 04:25:49 PM

I had the same kneejerk "she doesn't look exactly like the comic character" reaction, and then I said "self, no actual actress is actually going to be the comic character you had a weird crush on in the 90s except maybe Winona Ryder also from the 90s" and I got over it.

I think it's pretty cool that they can now have a nonbinary actor playing Desire, given that Desire was written as nonbinary before that word had even been coined.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 05:42:24 PM

I had the same kneejerk "she doesn't look exactly like the comic character" reaction, and then I said "self, no actual actress is actually going to be the comic character you had a weird crush on in the 90s except maybe Winona Ryder also from the 90s" and I got over it.

I think it's pretty cool that they can now have a nonbinary actor playing Desire, given that Desire was written as nonbinary before that word had even been coined.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
I mean don't get me wrong, the graphic novel design absolutely appealed to 90s me.

Honestly still to 2020s me.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 06:08:02 PM

You mean Fairuza Balk.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 08:32:41 PM

This. There was about 2 seconds of reflexive "That's not what the character looks like" before I realize that it was a fucking manifestation of an abstract concept, it can look like anyone it damn well wants.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 07:34:29 AM

The teaser for Death does a good job showing how the character is and how the actor fits.  I thought it was perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoaCAOHaLL4

And Death's iconic look was based off Cinamon Hadley.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 01:40:45 AM

Never seen the source material and I have no idea what this is from the trailer. Can't say it excites, but will give it a look based off y'all excitement.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 01:04:14 PM

I'm still having trouble adjusting to the Death change. I have t-shirts and an actual action figure of Death so it's hard for me to adjust to her not looking like I'm used to. That said, the actress did a pretty good job in that clip of showing Death's kindness and warmness.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 01:46:02 PM

It feels like this is one of the problems with the original, really. Gaiman does take some pains to say "these people look differently depending on who is seeing them" and that gets visualized, but the default visualizations are very much for a white audience at the time it originally came out: Dream, Death, Desire, Despair are all kind of 80s/90s goth/emo/white; Destruction is a big white guy; Delirium is a white girl; The Corinthian is white; Fiddler's Green is white; Lucien is white; Eve is white; Cain and Abel are white (though there he's reusing older DC visualizations, cleverly); Matthew is a raven. Destiny is Huh. Since the story says "these beings look differently to everybody" AND they also *ought* to be more universal, this is the best-case example of "it's time to recast and revisualize while keeping everything else the same".
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 01:54:32 PM

And I think that's why some of the changes to characters were made with Gaiman's blessing.  Cain and Abel are played by SEAsian actors, Lucien is now Lucienne and black, not sure about any other major changes.  I'm fine with any of it since it's been long enough that I don't have set images locked in my head of what anyone looks like.

I mean, sure Death is the biggest change but from the clip the actor has the total aesthetic for the character down.  It was never predicated on Death being white with Robert Smith hair, that's just the most common way she was shown.

Watching some other clips and stuff, I guess they changed the whole Hell scenario and Lucifer is the sole ruler rather than being part of a triumvirate.  Making three rulers of Hell must have been a DC push for some kind of continuity with other series and the show decided to do away with that.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 06:13:13 AM

It feels like this is one of the problems with the original, really. Gaiman does take some pains to say "these people look differently depending on who is seeing them" and that gets visualized, but the default visualizations are very much for a white audience at the time it originally came out: Dream, Death, Desire, Despair are all kind of 80s/90s goth/emo/white; Destruction is a big white guy; Delirium is a white girl; The Corinthian is white; Fiddler's Green is white; Lucien is white; Eve is white; Cain and Abel are white (though there he's reusing older DC visualizations, cleverly); Matthew is a raven. Destiny is Huh. Since the story says "these beings look differently to everybody" AND they also *ought* to be more universal, this is the best-case example of "it's time to recast and revisualize while keeping everything else the same".

I think in my case the only character I was truly attached to was Death. I actually only collected her graphic novels and rarely read the mainline Sandman comics. I can only vaguely picture Dream in my head but if you ask me what Death looks like I can see her in my head very clearly. I'm not throwing a temper tantrum about the change don't get me wrong. I just think for the first couple of episodes it'll nag in the back of my mind a bit.

I hope this actress doesn't get the kind of racist attacks that tend to pop up in, say, the Star Wars fandom though I'm sure it's already happening and I've been blissfully unaware of it so far.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 06:10:12 PM

You mean Fairuza Balk.

I bind you, Nancy.

But yeah, you right.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 05, 2022, 05:58:15 PM

The first episode was a bit tv movie quality, hopefully it gets better.

Edit: not much better in the second episode. Later episodes are a little better, but the show is still pretty darn naff.

Edit edit: Ok ep 5 is decent. Apart from all the bits with the sandman. Following episodes are better too. It's like a different, much better, show from episode 5 onwards. And pretty consistently so.

Overall about half the season was ok, in a naff way, and half was just really bad.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 07:21:12 AM by lamaros »
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #18 on: August 06, 2022, 01:54:08 PM

That sounds about right in line with the Comics.  The first book is ok, but the series doesn't really pick up until the second or third book.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 12:36:00 PM

I can remember thinking "yeah yeah" until the John Dee issue, where I was like "oh fuck wow".
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #20 on: August 08, 2022, 05:50:04 AM

Wife and I just watched the episode that covers the John Dee diner incident and I thought it was really well done.  Good job of ratcheting the tension up until it all boils over.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 08, 2022, 06:11:23 AM

Wife and I just watched the episode that covers the John Dee diner incident and I thought it was really well done.  Good job of ratcheting the tension up until it all boils over.

Yep, that whole episode was just tension and painful and awesome to watch.  The Good Samaritan giving him a ride - that whole trip with the tension just ramping up as she got more and more nervous about him, and then... giving him a ride to the diner after he gets the ruby.  I was like "Woman, what are you DOING?!?!"

That sounds about right in line with the Comics.  The first book is ok, but the series doesn't really pick up until the second or third book.

Yeah, Morpheus is really a stiff for the first few issues/episodes.  It's only as he starts to loosen up a bit and learn that things get better.  That change is him is really well shown in the Hob Gadling episode.  You see him going from "why should I bother with these creatures?" to "Friends don't let friends down."

I'd forgotten the Rose Walker / Vortex twist at the end though.  I wasn't making the connection with the mention about eye color.  And the actor playing Destiny was perfect.

WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: November 01, 2022, 04:39:48 PM

Started slow, got decent halfway through, ended pretty well. I liked the one of ep the best of all of them.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 02, 2022, 02:42:15 PM

I've been re-reading the comics and finding that I don't love the storytelling all that much. I like some of the ideas and some of the character work is excellent, but I don't know that it's the classic we all used to think it was.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 03, 2022, 12:49:26 PM

I didn't read the comic till decades after the hype and just couldn't understand it (the hype).  I actually like the show more than the comic.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #25 on: November 03, 2022, 01:13:30 PM

Comics targeted towards more mature audiences were just starting to become a thing (in comic book circles) when Sandman was released. DC, in fact, created an imprint "Vertigo" to specifically publish these types of comics including Sandman (a Sandman story was actually the first to be published under the label), and created lot of buzz in the industry. This is where a lot of the hype comes from -- i.e. it was something that people hadn't seen before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo_Comics
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #26 on: November 03, 2022, 08:13:18 PM

Comics targeted towards more mature audiences were just starting to become a thing (in comic book circles) when Sandman was released. DC, in fact, created an imprint "Vertigo" to specifically publish these types of comics including Sandman (a Sandman story was actually the first to be published under the label), and created lot of buzz in the industry. This is where a lot of the hype comes from -- i.e. it was something that people hadn't seen before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo_Comics

I really want to emphasize this post, as there was almost nothing in this space anything like what Gaiman and all were doing. I snagged the three issue run of Death as new long after Sandman was a thing - in fact, I didn't even know Sandman actually was a thing until after reading Death. Crumb and Pekar were a thing, sure, but Sandman was pretty obscure stuff for the time. It's not perfect, but it made a distinct imprint in my memory. I feel the show did a good job of reliving it.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 04, 2022, 12:01:05 PM

Also Sandman took a while to hit their stride and then ended pretty much at peak quality, which is rare.  Since then it has never been ruined, jumped sharks, or otherwise overstayed its welcome.

Still, yes... a lot of the fame is because of how unusual it was at the time. There are today plenty of comics as mature, complex, and intriguing as Sandman was in its finest issues.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 04, 2022, 02:58:45 PM

I didn't read the comic till decades after the hype and just couldn't understand it (the hype).  I actually like the show more than the comic.

Reading through the series now & I too think show is better than the original comic & I like the updates & wrinkles he added (not 100% but on the whole, they've been mostly good).

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Sandman (Netflix)  
Jump to: