Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:41:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+)  (Read 11761 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #70 on: September 02, 2022, 11:53:00 AM

He's stuck over in the Venom/Morbius universe at the moment.
Marvel needs to put the inhibitor collar on Sony.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 08:48:18 PM by Sky »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: September 02, 2022, 04:32:51 PM

I'd love to see the bossman be Toomes played by Keaton. He fucking crushed that role and it would be perfectly aligned with stealing tech to use for crimes.

I don't think we get nice things on this level.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: September 09, 2022, 05:59:57 AM

This latest episode was my least favorite of the series. The pacing was off and I didn't really enjoy the story with the magician. He was just extremely obnoxious. It's the first episode I was actually glad when it ended.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #73 on: September 09, 2022, 08:33:48 AM

The premise was too kids-cartoon for me.  The idea of a fake magician opening an actual portal to a hell dimension as part of his stage act is cool, but I want there to be actual consequences, or at least the threat of them.  The idea that he regularly sends audience members to hell and they just wander around and find their way back unharmed is stupid.  Wong deciding to sue the guy as opposed to just exacting magical justice is stupid.  The judge saying "I see no harm in this, it's no different from card tricks" in a universe where magic killed half the population of Earth ("I got better!"), and they're talking about copyright law instead of the Sokovia Accords, is stupid.  Drunk girl being constantly drunk and never asleep or hung over is... well, impressive, but also stupid.

I get that they're going for a more cartoony tone with this show, with the fourth wall breaking and all that, but that kind of zaniness works better for me when it's juxtaposed with something that feels more grounded.  Hell, calling it "cartoony" does disservice to the superhero cartoons I grew up with -- people fuckin DIED in those.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: September 09, 2022, 03:33:11 PM

I think the MCU has just sort of forgot the Sokovia accords. Its the sort of thing the comics also regularly forget about.

Maybe they got caught up in the peter parker spell.

I mean, She Hulk herself appears to be ignoring them for a start.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 03:35:19 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #75 on: September 09, 2022, 04:15:06 PM

I think the MCU has just sort of forgot the Sokovia accords. Its the sort of thing the comics also regularly forget about.

Maybe they got caught up in the peter parker spell.

I mean, She Hulk herself appears to be ignoring them for a start.

Well the Sokovia accords shouldn't need to exist in the first place because vigilante justice is already against the law

That said, "remember the time superheroes brought back half of the life in the universe" may have been enough to get the Accords done away with.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: September 09, 2022, 04:57:01 PM

It was a somewhat half-assed version of a Doctor Strange issue (#65!) called "Charlatan". In it, there's a stage magician who has been saying some bullshit incantation for more than a decade that he happened to hear from a drunk who actually knew a bit of real magic. Strange gets called to the guy's performance because of a weird family connection and he realizes in a panic that the guy's incantation is actually going to imminently open a portal to a hellish dimension, not in this performance but soon because of how long he's been saying it. He tries to convince the guy to cut it out and his thug slugs Strange upside the head, giving him a concussion.

Strange comes back to the next performance disguised as his sort-of-girlfriend's father, determined to stop the guy before it gets out of hand, and he fails because of the concussion--he can't focus enough. The guy succeeds in the incantation, monsters come through to attack the socialites at the performance, and Strange is only barely able to close the portal. He erases everybody's memory except the fake magician--he just takes away that guy's memory of the incantation but he leaves him with the horrible memory of the demons that came through as a punishment.

So the mood is not so light-hearted.

I guess you could argue that at this point the Sokovia people have just plain given up--the Snap might have convinced them that trying to stuff superpowers back into the bin is a pointless exercise. There's some reason to think that they've moved on to "we need our own supers" from "we have to keep supers under control".
schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: September 09, 2022, 06:02:11 PM

The sokovia accords we're terrible for cinema and only needed to exist for one movie.

So
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #78 on: September 09, 2022, 06:14:07 PM

I don't give a fuck about the Sokovia Accords specifically.  At this point in the timeline, saying "well there's nothing in the rulebook that SAYS a dog can't play basketball" when confronted with a guy who's doing actual magical shit is dumb.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 09, 2022, 06:18:45 PM

Drunk girls adventures in whatever hell dimension she ended up in would've made a better episode. I did enjoy it even if it doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #80 on: September 09, 2022, 10:28:41 PM

I don't give a fuck about the Sokovia Accords specifically.  At this point in the timeline, saying "well there's nothing in the rulebook that SAYS a dog can't play basketball" when confronted with a guy who's doing actual magical shit is dumb.

Here in the real world we can't even get strong gun laws enacted despite the frequency of mass shootings, so yeah it's not hard for me to imagine the law being slow to catch up to regulating magic and superpowers.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: September 10, 2022, 09:33:24 AM

Drunk girl could turn out to be a Chekov gun, I suppose.

What would be really hilarious is if She-Hulk fourth-walled it and said "I bet you think she made a deal with Mephisto and at last he's going to show up. Nope! It was just some no-name demon."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #82 on: September 10, 2022, 11:27:28 AM

His name was Jake, duh.

schild
Administrator

Reply #83 on: September 10, 2022, 12:23:46 PM

The goat was shown with a name tag in the credits.
schild
Administrator

Reply #84 on: September 15, 2022, 07:33:22 AM

This show can't miss.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: September 15, 2022, 11:52:10 AM

The batsuit with nipples, fucking perfect.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: September 16, 2022, 07:47:54 AM

Fun once again. I had to freeze-frame the helmet a couple of times to realize that it was Daredevil's bad yellow-suit helmet.

Pug's shoe collection feels like a vague nod to one of the fun features of Dan Slott's She-Hulk run, which was that the "law library" for the Super-Human Law Office in the firm was a complete set of Marvel comics (which are canonically published in the 616 Universe as authorized adaptations of the actual adventures of the superheroes) and that Jen Walters, Pug and Mallory Book end up using what's in the comic books to make claims about legal precedents (including ownership of superhero names as intellectual property).

It's too bad that they can't easily adapt the absolute best Slott story, which is Spider-Man suing J. Jonah Jameson for libel; She-Hulk has to pass the case to Pug because she has a conflict of interest (she's dating Jameson's son). Pug is heading for a big win and he decides to expand the lawsuit to include Peter Parker for having fraudulently created photographs that helped Jameson to libel Spider-Man, and so Spider-Man has to tell Pug to settle the case without financial damages. (Jameson and Parker have to wear chicken suits for a day while handing out copies of the Bugle where the front page story is an apology to Spider-Man for false accusations.)
schild
Administrator

Reply #87 on: September 18, 2022, 08:56:18 PM

It's too bad that they can't easily adapt the absolute best Slott story, which is Spider-Man suing J. Jonah Jameson for libel; She-Hulk has to pass the case to Pug because she has a conflict of interest (she's dating Jameson's son). Pug is heading for a big win and he decides to expand the lawsuit to include Peter Parker for having fraudulently created photographs that helped Jameson to libel Spider-Man, and so Spider-Man has to tell Pug to settle the case without financial damages. (Jameson and Parker have to wear chicken suits for a day while handing out copies of the Bugle where the front page story is an apology to Spider-Man for false accusations.)

nor should they, this sounds like a shitass throwaway gag that would be dreadful on film
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #88 on: September 19, 2022, 06:21:58 AM

Also, why wouldn't PP continue the suit knowing it would still impact JJJ, and PP would just be paying himself (via S-M)? Dumb.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: September 19, 2022, 08:52:26 AM

Or just tell his lawyer he doesn't want to include Peter Parker in the lawsuit because he was just a photographer that had no influence on how his photos were used and he therefore would feel bad to sue him too?

Its moronic to write a story where the lawyer extends a lawsuit on his own without consulting the client. Lets hope the series never walks anywhere near this idiotic plotline.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: September 19, 2022, 06:14:04 PM

Also, why wouldn't PP continue the suit knowing it would still impact JJJ, and PP would just be paying himself (via S-M)? Dumb.

I haven't read it but I'd assume the problem is that Spiderman was already sitting in court next to his lawyer so there was no way that Peter Parker could be called as a witness.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: September 19, 2022, 07:15:45 PM

That's pretty much it--Pug is questioning Spider-Man and he moves into questioning about Parker and Spider-Man is forced to concede that Parker's pictures were staged or untrue (which is both true and important to his case against Jameson) so Pug moves that Parker be added to the complaint. So Spider-Man can't undo the testimony without saying he perjured himself and can only tell Pug to settle the case for something other than financial damages. It's a funny story.
schild
Administrator

Reply #92 on: September 22, 2022, 08:16:42 PM

this shit can't stop delivering
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: September 27, 2022, 05:08:09 PM

this shit can't stop delivering
Agreed. It's a pretty much perfect 23 minutes each episode.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #94 on: September 29, 2022, 06:30:01 PM

“I’m hurtin’ for a yurtin’”

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: September 30, 2022, 07:14:56 PM

This last episode may be my favorite in the series. But damn Jen can't catch a break in her love-life. As someone who hasn't really read She-Hulk I have no idea if this is a theme in the comics too.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #96 on: September 30, 2022, 09:07:43 PM

They seem to be pulling heavily from the Dan Slott series of comics. The only steady boyfriend I ever remember was when she was a member of the Fantastic Four, she dated Wyatt Wingfoot for a time.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: October 01, 2022, 07:20:51 AM

She got married to J. Jonah Jameson's son (who was a magical wolfman also) but that kind of turned out to be mind-control. Sort of.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #98 on: October 06, 2022, 09:10:48 PM

Good episode. Can’t wait for the finale.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: October 07, 2022, 06:08:19 AM

Really good
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #100 on: October 07, 2022, 06:13:52 AM

Some great minor villains in this episode.  The frog dude was straight out of The Tick (the good 90s one).

and
just fucking killed me.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 07, 2022, 07:55:23 AM

At 1:23 you can see the motherfucking Frog Man and that is the greatest thing ever put in an MCU property.

I'll settle for his son, even though I have an actual frogman action figure.

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #102 on: October 07, 2022, 08:19:56 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #103 on: October 07, 2022, 10:30:53 PM

I am so sad this season is coming to an end. I have absolutely loved every episode, and this was my favorite. Daredevil was great, Charlie Cox really seemed to relish being allowed to smile and have fun with the character. I loved the new classic-colored suit.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: October 13, 2022, 08:06:40 AM

That just took it to a whole other level. Amazing ending to a great season.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+)  
Jump to: