Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Batman 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Batman  (Read 8987 times)
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #35 on: April 19, 2022, 06:25:57 PM

I didn't hate it. Maybe a bit emo at times, but it was a fun 3 (!) Hours.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 19, 2022, 06:54:03 PM

There's a scene in Batman Begins that also plays this street--Batman as horror movie for the bad guys. But I do think this movie does it way better and way more thoughtfully.

Honestly, I think this is the best Batman film to date. The only odd thing is that it's the best Batman movie with the most non-existent Bruce Wayne, but if they get a sequel, I think they'll address that.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 19, 2022, 10:22:43 PM

I thought the movie was ok. The end fight felt a bit forced and the beginning felt too emo with lines like

from Batman in the first 10(?) minutes of the movie starting to make me wonder if Bruce was supposed to be a teen.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 20, 2022, 05:11:05 AM

I thought the movie was ok. The end fight felt a bit forced and the beginning felt too emo with lines like

from Batman in the first 10(?) minutes of the movie starting to make me wonder if Bruce was supposed to be a teen.

Two of those emo lines were part of the overall character arc of the entire movie. One in particular came back to haunt him at the end and pushed him towards changing his approach.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 20, 2022, 06:32:36 AM

Yeah. I think this is what really pleased me about the movie: Reeves found a way to give the character some development within the film that wasn't an origin story, and it was pretty subtle in the way that it was done. When
I really hope that if they get a greenlight for the sequel they  I think Hugo Strange would be a great fit, on the other hand.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 20, 2022, 07:05:46 AM

Yeah. I think this is what really pleased me about the movie: Reeves found a way to give the character some development within the film that wasn't an origin story, and it was pretty subtle in the way that it was done. When
I really hope that if they get a greenlight for the sequel they  I think Hugo Strange would be a great fit, on the other hand.

Yes, there are two moments that I think perfectly illustrate Batman's growth in this movie.

One is in the very beginning

And at the end

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 20, 2022, 08:10:12 AM

Yes, there are two moments that I think perfectly illustrate Batman's growth in this movie.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #42 on: April 20, 2022, 08:15:37 AM

The end fight felt a bit forced

ignoring all the carnage he and the bad guy caused during their chase

I'm gonna go waaaaay out on a limb and say that superhero movies in general may not be your thing.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 20, 2022, 08:38:48 AM

The end fight felt a bit forced

ignoring all the carnage he and the bad guy caused during their chase

I'm gonna go waaaaay out on a limb and say that superhero movies in general may not be your thing.   why so serious?
I like my superheroes to care about civilians and for the end fights in superhero movie to be
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 20, 2022, 11:15:12 AM

The highway scene is pretty ill-considered in terms of the overall arc of the film--it seems almost like a consequence of Reeves feeling obligated to have a Batmobile but then needing to keep it "realistic" dictated a car chase that felt like actual traffic.
Speaking of realistic,
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 21, 2022, 04:10:01 AM

That happens earlier in the movie. His growth happens at the end. At that point he is still blinded by being "vengeance."

« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 06:22:26 PM by Riggswolfe »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 21, 2022, 06:32:48 AM

Well, think about high-speed police chases: the common policy position is that you don't chase a suspect at high-speed if there's a chance of lots of civilian casualties unless the suspect is a clear and present danger, e.g., is shooting at people from his car or is known to have a bomb, something of that sort. Cops don't always follow those policies, but a lone cop chasing someone under these circumstances would likely stop. And I think if you watch again, you'll see Batman pulling a few maneuvers that cause some of the accidents. It's not quite Batfleck shooting criminals with the Batmobile but it's close.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #47 on: April 22, 2022, 09:16:55 PM

I liked this quite a lot, and yes it was way too long. That said, it still didn't feel overextended and the end fight was pretty essential to where they were going with the character arc. I also completely understand why they felt the need for this to not be connected to the Affleck/Justice League version of Batman. This is a different animal altogether - much more horror/crime than any of the previous iterations. Pattinson's take on Batman as the slow plodding wave of dread was a unique and effective take on the character, but I do wish we'd had a little more for Bruce Wayne to do. This was year 2 Batman in which Bruce had not really figured out how to co-exist with the Batman, as evidenced by his lack of interest in the business.

If this gets a sequel, I also hope they don't follow through on

because we've seen that character done and they will not top the best version of it.

I really like where they went with him discovering that he can't just be this boogeyman in the shadows to criminals, he also needs to be a beacon of hope to a demoralized city. Threading that needle in a sequel would be interesting.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 23, 2022, 10:21:44 AM

Completely agree:

I could really see a sequel that focuses on Hugo Strange and the Monster Men that works from Matt Wagner's updating of that early storyline. It's got lots of elements that would work well in this setting--the horror of the cannibalistic monster men, Strange's complicated relationship with the mob, and then maybe they could throw in the later plotline where Strange learns Batman's identity and tries to fuck with Bruce's mind.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Batman  
Jump to: