Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:20:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: New World (MMORPG, Amazon Games) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New World (MMORPG, Amazon Games)  (Read 29398 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #140 on: October 27, 2021, 08:32:54 PM

Nope. They be lying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLtLxTahSjo&ab_channel=JoshStrifeHayes

This video was published at about 2130 CT time, and all of the issues are still there.
Your link is not the same exploit. So it's possible they fixed the first exploit linked but not this second one. In the first he is just standing there and is invincible, in the second he has to "pause" during a roll to get the invincibility. The second one also shows that just standing there (no roll) while "holding" the window does queue up the damage ticks which get applied when the window is released.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: October 27, 2021, 09:50:32 PM

No it is not literally the same exploit people are were complaining about, that one involved a hatchet passive, but it is fundamentally the same. It shows the client queues up damage until it can communicate with the user's client, which is why it is used to hold control points. The second exploit he is showing is a "true" invincibility as it were, as the user is always rolling according to the server, it doesn't queue up damage to the user at all.

What's important is what the exploit reflects. Just how much of the information this game processes is done client side.

BTW their "fix" for the issue was to disable bordered windows mode, but not windows mode itself, and the hatchet passive, not the actual tricking the server into the client temporarily being offline.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:08:12 PM by Ashamanchill »

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: October 27, 2021, 10:47:22 PM

This is some prime "client is in the hands of the enemy" shit. Everything old is new again! awesome, for real

The second video shows that DOTs (and other debuffs I assume) are blocked by the infinite iframe as well. Check https://youtu.be/lLtLxTahSjo?t=430 -- 530 hp with a bleed debuff, and after he stops dragging the window, the debuff is gone and he's still at 530 hp.

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: October 29, 2021, 08:35:57 PM

Apparently, there's been another flaw found, which allows you to inject HTML into the chat.  Doing so, along with a bogus item link, can be used to crash the client of anyone that mouses over the link, as I understand it.   awesome, for real

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #144 on: October 29, 2021, 09:22:10 PM

My wife, who plays New World, tells me that it isn't just HTML, it's also Javascript, and not only can it crash your game, but supposedly shut your computer down as well.

Who, in their right fucking mind, would allow customers to put JAVASCRIPT into a chat box, without some insanely-high levels of sanitization? Morons, that's who.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: October 29, 2021, 09:34:17 PM

Also, they did patch in a fix for the dodge rolling invincibility exploit......which fucked up their auction house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIw3fT4IF2c&ab_channel=JoshStrifeHayes

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #146 on: October 29, 2021, 10:12:13 PM

How in the actual fuck can any development on an online game not start with the very basic and proven ethos of "NEVER TRUST THE FUCKING CLIENT?"

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: October 29, 2021, 11:19:04 PM

Why should AGS, a game studio which has put out no real games of note, with all the resources cocaine that Amazon can provide, listen to anyone with experience in the MMO field over the last 20 years?

More seriously, this, if credible, explains why https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgame/comments/qigb9b/former_ags_employee_explains_issues_with_nws/

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #148 on: October 30, 2021, 01:46:06 AM

If @cubesos is to be believed that confirms what I speculated on earlier that the game's underlying engine is not designed to handle the large-scale faction-based PvP the game eventually morphed into because it was originally designed for small team-based Rust / Conan-style PvP.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #149 on: October 30, 2021, 03:02:40 AM

How in the actual fuck can any development on an online game not start with the very basic and proven ethos of "NEVER TRUST THE FUCKING CLIENT?"

Apparently it's not really "client authoritative".

https://forums.newworld.com/t/notice-how-serverclient-authority-is-handled-in-new-world/473167

New World is not client authoritative - from a simulation standpoint New World is entirely server based. At a high level the model is this: clients dispatch controller inputs to the server, and the server then checks that input for limits that might invalidate it, then if accepted uses it as an input to a character (“actor” is our internal name) within server memory. Physics and game rules are then run (entirely server side), and the outcome is sent back to the original client. Clients will then draw the outcome determined by the server.

(...)

We did have a bug, in which given certain circumstances we were waiting server side on input from a client before processing through to outcomes. Combined with an intentional weapon effect that allows for brief invulnerability, this created a situation where players could reach an invulnerable state and prolong it by making the client unresponsive, even though the client has no say in damage (both damage the player creates and damage taken by the player are computed server side based on the results of physics simulation plus game rules).

(...)

However at no time are the clients making decisions or “freezing” characters in place - if character are frozen it is because the client is behind on drawing, but the server simulation continues.

Still a mess, but looks like the client doesn't rule. And when it does, it's a fixable bug.

*edit to add further dev explanations
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 03:14:59 AM by Falconeer »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #150 on: October 30, 2021, 09:34:46 AM

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #151 on: October 30, 2021, 12:06:17 PM

Like I said after trying the open beta. There doesn't appear to be much talent on this dev team and this game is not worth touching unless its first 3 major patches are large slam dunks of fixes, QoL and improvements.

None of that has happened. This game doesn't deserve to live. On to the next one.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #152 on: October 30, 2021, 12:54:02 PM

Next MMO Design 101 (which these devs apparently all skipped) issue: gold is leaving the game much faster than it's coming in.

This sort of problem is conceptually and mechanically easy to fix but I wouldn't be surprised if things swing towards hyper-inflation rather than the current hyper-deflation before settling down to semi-equilibrium.

This is the earliest post I've been able to find so far that talks about and accurately predicts the issue: https://forums.newworld.com/t/in-game-gold-economy-is-about-to-crash-immediate-attention-required/362228

And the last week or so gaming sites started reporting on the issue:

https://blog.playerauctions.com/mmorpg/currency-crisis-in-new-world/

https://kotaku.com/new-worlds-economy-is-so-busted-players-are-bartering-1847904272

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #153 on: October 30, 2021, 04:01:09 PM

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: October 30, 2021, 04:25:06 PM

They also said they didn't have an automated ban system, but that turned out to be a lie, or functionally one.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #155 on: November 01, 2021, 08:12:37 PM

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: November 02, 2021, 03:21:25 PM

Doesn't that just fix the gold deflation?

awesome, for real
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: November 02, 2021, 03:51:56 PM

To be fair, I seem to remember FFXIV 2.0 struggling with similar deflation problems (there were no good gil generators at level cap once done with quests, except for levequests which suuuuucked), but iirc they addressed it in a subsequent patch.

That said, the stopgap solution AGS applied to fix the dupe bug enabled another dupe bug: if you tried to upgrade some building in town, the transaction wouldn't go through, but it'd also 'refund' the cost of the upgrade (which was never paid in the first place).

So yeah, big clownshoe-ception energy here... though I assume anyone exploiting this will be relatively easy to track down and permaban (I hope/assume that AGS is keeping logs of all failed transactions)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 03:55:07 PM by Zetor »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #158 on: November 02, 2021, 10:42:45 PM

While checking up on the status of the dup issues I ran across another one that's apparently been around since Alpha where boss (all?) mobs will instantly respawn if there are no players within rendering distance. So if you are by yourself in an area or with some people you can coordinate with you can move far enough away to get it to respawn "on demand" rather than waiting for the normal respawn timer.

https://forums.newworld.com/t/reekwater-named-elite-respawn-exploit/346348/8
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: November 04, 2021, 05:50:02 AM

While checking up on the status of the dup issues I ran across another one that's apparently been around since Alpha where boss (all?) mobs will instantly respawn if there are no players within rendering distance. So if you are by yourself in an area or with some people you can coordinate with you can move far enough away to get it to respawn "on demand" rather than waiting for the normal respawn timer.

https://forums.newworld.com/t/reekwater-named-elite-respawn-exploit/346348/8

I kind of like this mechanic.  Spawn timers kind of suck

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: November 15, 2021, 09:12:44 AM

Been playing new world for a few days. The lack of actual depth in the combat system makes this the "play when I'm bored game" so far. Its not a bad game just a game with a complexity in mechanics I normally ignore in other games.  I'm starting to doubt lost ark is going to be any different so after years of ignoring the mmo market I guess the genre hasn't changed much.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #161 on: November 15, 2021, 02:38:11 PM

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: November 15, 2021, 03:30:54 PM

Amazon is starting to feel the like Conglomerate that does 2 things really well (AWS and online retail) and a whole bunch of other stuff not so well (Digital Content creation, video games, space exploration, Grocery). 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: November 15, 2021, 08:27:49 PM

Starting to?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: November 16, 2021, 06:23:04 AM

They should have delayed this again and launched Lost Ark instead.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: November 16, 2021, 06:45:33 AM

They should have delayed this again and launched Lost Ark instead.

Delayed or scrapped? I mean the original designers of this game really thought that a full loot pvp game for 40 bucks was worth amazons development budget. They've gone through 2-3 iterations of the games core systems before settling on a faction base pvp game with pve content hanging off. The actual combat isn't that great for players who prefer to do anything but swing a pointy stick around and is only passable in PVE because the mobs are designed to charge directly at you. The exploits are a meh concern the core game has a ton of nothing burger beyond being a crafting sim.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #166 on: November 17, 2021, 01:30:59 AM

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: November 17, 2021, 07:27:48 AM

The dupes are basically fractal at this point. But don't worry,vthe developers showed a graph displaying they have everything under control.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #168 on: November 17, 2021, 10:21:18 AM

Yes, there are now reports of a crafting dup and a gold dup involving outpost rush.

Edit: *post not *put
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:24:34 AM by Trippy »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #169 on: November 18, 2021, 11:44:31 AM

Apparently some things in the game are indexed by name rather than a unique ID so deleting and reusing that name gets you back the values of original and changing the name effectively resets the values.

https://old.reddit.com/r/newworldgame/comments/qwqy84/bugexploit_change_your_company_name_to_reset/

I'm now picturing the initial game engine meeting going something like:

Game Director: okay who here knows anything about databases?

Dev: Uh, I've written some SQL statements before?

Game Director: Okay you are now our Lead Database Engineer. Good luck!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #170 on: November 18, 2021, 12:42:13 PM

Apparently some things in the game are indexed by name rather than a unique ID so deleting and reusing that name gets you back the values of original and changing the name effectively resets the values.

https://old.reddit.com/r/newworldgame/comments/qwqy84/bugexploit_change_your_company_name_to_reset/

I'm now picturing the initial game engine meeting going something like:

Game Director: okay who here knows anything about databases?

Dev: Uh, I've written some SQL statements before?

Game Director: Okay you are now our Lead Database Engineer. Good luck!

Whoa hold up, that is how I got my job.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #171 on: November 24, 2021, 09:04:46 AM

Next MMO Design 101 (which these devs apparently all skipped) issue: gold is leaving the game much faster than it's coming in.

This sort of problem is conceptually and mechanically easy to fix but I wouldn't be surprised if things swing towards hyper-inflation rather than the current hyper-deflation before settling down to semi-equilibrium.

This is the earliest post I've been able to find so far that talks about and accurately predicts the issue: https://forums.newworld.com/t/in-game-gold-economy-is-about-to-crash-immediate-attention-required/362228

And the last week or so gaming sites started reporting on the issue:

https://blog.playerauctions.com/mmorpg/currency-crisis-in-new-world/

https://kotaku.com/new-worlds-economy-is-so-busted-players-are-bartering-1847904272
So now they’ve gone the opposite direction and have been “semi-randomly” giving out large amounts of gold to some people:

https://forums.newworld.com/t/people-getting-random-50-200k-gold-from-ags/

I say semi-randomly because people have not yet figured out why some people are getting them and why the amounts vary. Speculation revolves around compensation for the myriad of bugs and issues recently but it doesn’t appear to be consistent. And lots of memes are going around now about how AGS misplaced a few decimal points because the amounts given to some people are way out of line if they were meant to be compensation. And auction houses are of course totally ruined as people spend their new found wealth on durable goods.

Edit: looks like they are going to do a rollback: https://forums.newworld.com/t/announcement-emergency-maintenance-for-eu-central-region/592906

Not sure how they will handle people buying out the AHs and then giving the items to other people but I guess we will find out.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 09:38:37 AM by Trippy »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #172 on: November 24, 2021, 11:27:28 AM

Sounds like Amazon is just fucking with things in some kind of performance art piece, pulling and cutting puppet strings and watching the madness.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #173 on: November 24, 2021, 01:12:25 PM

I've certainly been entertained by all of this.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #174 on: November 24, 2021, 10:42:09 PM

Edit: looks like they are going to do a rollback: https://forums.newworld.com/t/announcement-emergency-maintenance-for-eu-central-region/592906

Not sure how they will handle people buying out the AHs and then giving the items to other people but I guess we will find out.
They handled it by rolling back everybody, not just those that received the gold.

https://forums.newworld.com/t/announcement-emergency-maintenance-for-eu-central-region/592906/4

Note you have to click on the blue "View ignored content" link to see the dev post because their forum software allows members to "vote" (flagging) to "hide" other people's posts, including devs.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: New World (MMORPG, Amazon Games)  
Jump to: