Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:56:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: What If...? (Disney+) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What If...? (Disney+)  (Read 15897 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #35 on: August 16, 2021, 07:34:44 AM

Fuck the haters, this was killer.
I figured it would be good based on the nonsense here.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The art style worked well and whoever did the storyboarding/set shots composition needs a raise. Lots of frames were straight artwork.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #36 on: August 16, 2021, 10:02:28 PM

It was very well produced and by no means bad.  Just also sort of....meh?  Kind of boring.  In the end was hoping for something more wild and original.  Hopefully get that with some of the other episodes.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: August 17, 2021, 11:49:32 AM

I needed something short to watch while I was eating a torta.

Torta: 10/10
What If: 2/10, would not What If
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #38 on: August 18, 2021, 12:37:46 AM

2nd episode is out, and I'm not sure why they're going with another "What if character X ended up becoming hero Y?" episode. Also kind of surprised they did the Chadwick episode this early in the series instead of holding on to it for the finale or something.

That said, they really had fun with this one and I enjoyed the heck out of it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 12:20:54 PM by Velorath »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 18, 2021, 05:30:10 AM

Also kind of surprised the did the Chadwick episode this early in the series instead of holding on to it for the finale or something.
May be related to the Avengers game dropping a Black Panther/Wakanda DLC yesterday?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 18, 2021, 07:27:21 AM

This was great, RIP Chadwick.

I am the .00000001428%
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 18, 2021, 07:56:47 AM

More Yondu was cool. Thanos being comic relief - cool. Cosmo and Howard references again. Yeah that was fun.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #42 on: August 18, 2021, 09:13:51 AM

Also kind of surprised the did the Chadwick episode this early in the series instead of holding on to it for the finale or something.
May be related to the Avengers game dropping a Black Panther/Wakanda DLC yesterday?
It would be the other way around. The DLC was presumably scheduled to be released when this episode was released.

Edit: be
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 09:17:51 AM by Trippy »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 18, 2021, 09:16:15 AM

Pretty sure that game bombed anyways.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #44 on: August 18, 2021, 09:22:25 AM

It did.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 18, 2021, 09:37:00 AM

It's no X-Men Legends or Spider-Man, but it's a pretty solid game, maybe closest to Ultimate Alliance?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 18, 2021, 01:29:35 PM

More likely they wanted to include it in the episodes released to reviewers for the Boseman goodwill.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 18, 2021, 01:34:02 PM

Missing my Marvel Heroes hit of clicking on things until they die and leave behind more trousers.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 18, 2021, 02:01:58 PM

Missing my Marvel Heroes hit of clicking on things until they die and leave behind more trousers.

Fuck, I miss that shit game.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #49 on: August 18, 2021, 02:17:22 PM

Yeah me too, at least up until they fucked up all the movement powers.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #50 on: August 18, 2021, 07:32:38 PM

Captain Carter was cool. This was epic.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 18, 2021, 08:09:34 PM

Ok, I loved this one. It was fun and really got the premise, I think.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #52 on: August 18, 2021, 08:47:27 PM

"Captain Genocide!"

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 19, 2021, 06:19:19 AM

Fuck, I miss that shit game.
I prefer the controller stuff to clicking (diablo sucks lol), but you definitely get trousersish lewtz that is actually interesting to swap in/out (unless you're a minmax type, maybe). You can get gear that adds status effects, enhances abilities, changes some abilities or stack effects to bolster builds. Not +1% type stuff, Thor just got pants (a belt) that has a 50% chance to proc explosion when damaged (knockback/stun) and a hammer grip that adds explosions to certain hammer throws, a willpower (health) proc on his chest piece.

Main downside seems to be recycled assets and level re-use. There's a decent small town level that I've run through at least ten times. The gameplay is fun and I don't mind the repetition too much, but the grind is real and having few options to grind on is ultimately going to kill it for me at some point. That said, I can still run through 3 more DLC of story content at this point, so it's still well worth it in the $20 range (I think I paid $15 and have 40 hours so far, so...).

Anyway, sorry for the digression I never do that!  Cthulu
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 19, 2021, 06:46:26 AM

I really didn't like the idea of the second one but turns out it was great.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #55 on: August 19, 2021, 11:49:04 AM

"Starlord" was Peter Quill's childhood nickname from before he got picked up by the Ravagers.  How did T'Challa end up with it?

UNSUBSCRIBED!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 19, 2021, 07:57:23 PM

Well, unlike Quill, he is an actual Lord.  :p

And this was significantly better than the first episode.  Loved how how they kept ramming home just how much better the entire Galaxy is with T'Challa becoming Starlord rather than Quill.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 20, 2021, 09:14:11 AM

Yeah, that was hilarious.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 25, 2021, 01:15:02 AM

Finally saw the second episode. Fantastic episode. May watch the third in  a bit but I'm actually trying to sleep for once.

edit: couldn't sleep so finished ep 3. Really good episode. It borrows more moments from the films than the 2nd episode but IMO doesn't fall into the trap of the 1st.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 04:15:43 AM by Raguel »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 25, 2021, 02:52:02 AM

Enjoyed number 3. What really stood out was how much better Lake Bell was as Black Widow.

Also, it didn't try to squeeze too much into run time of the show. Which both the previous episodes were guilty of.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 04:00:06 AM by eldaec »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 25, 2021, 09:09:48 AM

Enjoyed number 3. What really stood out was how much better Lake Bell was as Black Widow.

Also, it didn't try to squeeze too much into run time of the show. Which both the previous episodes were guilty of.

I bought Lake Bell as BW more than Renner and Hiddleston as themselves. Whoever did Liv Tyler also did a good job.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 25, 2021, 09:29:41 AM

This was good, but firmly between the first and second one.  Kind of fell into the trap of the first one of just trying to remind everybody of all the plot that happened in the past they probably forgot about, instead of doing anything particularly original.  Also, subject was sort of dark and a bit of a downer.  Still, good entertainment.

-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 25, 2021, 09:42:41 AM

I didn't see it that way, this one deviated completely from expectations in like the first minute.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 25, 2021, 10:01:14 AM

Err, every single plot point went to different movies in the mcu, showed how they started, then suddenly changed them.  There was very little original content separated from them redoing scenes from several movies but then having the avenger die suddenly.  Very little actual new content overal.

I liked the way they took the story with all this, mind you, and it helped flesh out Fury and some side characters better.  But I just feel these things are better when they pick a hero an do something totally different with them, instead of endless callbacks to previous movies.

-Stephen Colbert
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #64 on: August 25, 2021, 10:26:29 AM

I think part of the problem is that they're doing What If? when they've essentially got 22 stories to work with (or possibly less depending on how they're able to handle Spider-man's movies) and also can't introduce characters who haven't already appeared in the MCU.

Episode 3 was fine, although a fairly standard alternate reality trope in that you can get away with killing a bunch of characters off because it doesn't really matter.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 25, 2021, 03:09:59 PM

Yeah, What If in the comics had thousands of storylines to work with. And sometimes they didn't even fucking bother with actual stories and did what DC would call "Imaginary Stories", like the wretched one where the FF became a butterfly, a giant brain, a dude with robot arms and I forget what the other one was.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #66 on: August 25, 2021, 03:27:23 PM

Apparently they were going to do What if Spider-man turned into a spider? but they said it was pretty much going to end up too Cronenberg to be on D+ so they axed the idea.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 25, 2021, 07:24:02 PM

Didn't stop Marvel itself from having Spider-Man kill Mary Jane in an alternative future with radioactive cum.

Anyhoo, I liked this one a lot. I don't think it had the problem of the first one--it referenced the movies without getting stuck to them. Also fun to see Ruffalo's likeness overwrite Norton's likeness...
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 26, 2021, 11:50:56 AM

I bought Lake Bell as BW more than Renner and Hiddleston as themselves. Whoever did Liv Tyler also did a good job.

This show is marking out a bunch of actors who it turns out are not great at voice work.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 26, 2021, 06:20:22 PM

I think that's right, actually--I've been kind of surprised at how "is that actually that guy?" the voice work has been. Turns out you have to be good at it to do it, who would have thunk it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: What If...? (Disney+)  
Jump to: