Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elden Ring (FromSoftware) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elden Ring (FromSoftware)  (Read 34958 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #35 on: February 24, 2022, 05:08:15 PM

I mean there kind of is but it's Demon's Souls style, if you get what I mean.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36 on: February 24, 2022, 05:53:10 PM

Only took like 20 tries but I finally did it. God I suck at these games (except Bloodborne).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37 on: February 24, 2022, 06:14:04 PM

Not just frame drops and stuttering but outright game freezes* on my system. Think I might wait for this to be patched properly (1.02 apparently made some things worse not better).

Edit: *by freezes I mean the game will "hang" for a few seconds and then resume, either by speeding things up and "playing forward" the game state from those missing few seconds or just resuming from when it paused.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 06:16:15 PM by Trippy »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38 on: February 24, 2022, 06:20:08 PM

Also no native PS4 controller which isn't unexpected because, shitty FROMSoftware PC ports, but annoying.
No keyboard/mouse prompts either -- i.e. all UI control symbols are Xbox-only.
schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: February 24, 2022, 07:10:04 PM

This shit runs fucking flawlessly and is a clear 10/10
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: February 24, 2022, 07:10:27 PM

Sorry your computer hates it trippy
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #41 on: February 24, 2022, 08:01:33 PM

Am watching a video of the start as an Astrologer and there is a tutorial section -- I somehow managed to bypass it.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #42 on: February 24, 2022, 08:43:46 PM

Well, first launch and it shut off my monitor. Not a great sign.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #43 on: February 24, 2022, 10:09:29 PM

Am watching a video of the start as an Astrologer and there is a tutorial section -- I somehow managed to bypass it.

I did also, and went back because i was like "maybe that was just a dungeon"

and the guy sitting in the chair is literally like "jump and gain knowledge moron"

yeah it's a tutorial

also game is a masterpiece, first souls game since demon's actually worth playing
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #44 on: February 24, 2022, 10:44:41 PM

Yeah and you get a free emote for doing it so might as well. Also one of the moves they teach you which isn't present in all the other games is something I really wish I knew about when fighting that miniboss.
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: February 24, 2022, 10:56:14 PM

Yeah and you get a free emote for doing it so might as well. Also one of the moves they teach you which isn't present in all the other games is something I really wish I knew about when fighting that miniboss.

yeah i totally read all the tutorial

(i did not i have no clue what you're talking about)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #46 on: February 24, 2022, 10:58:10 PM

Rasix

Reply #47 on: February 25, 2022, 08:44:19 AM

I am way out of practice for this kind of thing. I probably should have returned it, but I played for 2 and a half hours straight.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #48 on: February 25, 2022, 09:24:18 AM

Yeah still trying to get used to the controls again and have been playing too much of both Horizons which have much longer dodge roll distances so there you mostly avoid attacks via distance rather than relying on the I-frames whereas in Elden Ring even the Light Roll is pretty short so you need to time the I-frames plus some of the mini bosses have bullshit auto tracking attacks even if you would normally be too far away to be hit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: February 25, 2022, 11:00:16 AM

Yeah still trying to get used to the controls again and have been playing too much of both Horizons which have much longer dodge roll distances so there you mostly avoid attacks via distance rather than relying on the I-frames whereas in Elden Ring even the Light Roll is pretty short so you need to time the I-frames plus some of the mini bosses have bullshit auto tracking attacks even if you would normally be too far away to be hit.

what's the terminology we're looking for here

ah, yes, get good
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: February 25, 2022, 11:00:31 AM

man what a game
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #51 on: February 25, 2022, 11:05:05 AM

You mean "git gud".
schild
Administrator

Reply #52 on: February 25, 2022, 11:49:54 AM

iirc Demon's Souls predates the colloquial "git gud," so that was a conscious choice of words.

So, I said what I said.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 25, 2022, 12:03:07 PM

I've never understood the appeal of these games. They seem designed primarily to raise someone's blood pressure and let internet nerds brag about how awesome they are after getting past a boss fight. I really have nothing else to add except "enjoy? I guess?"

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rasix

Reply #54 on: February 25, 2022, 12:04:47 PM

I need to upgrade my old wired 360 controller. Any recommendations? I'm guessing just a newer wireless xbox controller would suffice?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 12:08:56 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #55 on: February 25, 2022, 12:08:50 PM

I need to upgrade my old wired 360 controller. Any recommendations?
god yeah, this is unplayable iwth a 360 controller

just plug in a ps4 sixaxis
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 25, 2022, 12:15:25 PM

How about mouse/keyboard tho?

(DS1 was total dogshit, DS2 was annoying, DS3 was pretty playable, so I am kinda hopeful edit: obv I'm referring to kb/m playability here)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 12:28:18 PM by Zetor »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #57 on: February 25, 2022, 12:36:53 PM

I need to upgrade my old wired 360 controller. Any recommendations? I'm guessing just a newer wireless xbox controller would suffice?
Yes though you'll probably want the Windows wireless adapter if you actually want to use it wirelessly:

https://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-one-controller-on-pc/

And also some sort of rechargeable battery pack as well if you go wireless. I use these in mine since you don't need to take the battery out charge it and it's lighter than the NiMH versions and the Xbox controller is already too heavy for my tastes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Z3P7WCC

Also be aware that the newer Xbox controllers have teeny tiny* joystick "top hats" compared to the Xbox 360 controller or PS4/PS5 controllers. So you might find them easier to slip off of than the 360 controller.

I ordered these to see if that might help:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DY9PBZX

I play other games with that controller without slippage like Forza and Like a Dragon but they don't have me abusing the joysticks like Elden Ring does.

* They are actually only about 2 mm smaller in diameter but it's feels smaller than that on my fat thumbs.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #58 on: February 25, 2022, 12:37:39 PM

There are no PS4/PS5 icons though -- only Xbox icons -- so if that messes with your brain you might not want to go that route.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 12:39:36 PM by Trippy »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #59 on: February 25, 2022, 01:54:56 PM

Kinda hard to find legit MS battery packs from legit sellers right now. I just replaced my xbox series controller (left thumbstick died) and went with a 3rd party battery pack until stocks come back. That said, those battery packs are basically necessary unless you love changing batteries, and I like having them separate rather than integrated ala PS controllers. Ditto the wireless dongle thingy.

As far as button confusion, the main problem imo is the dern X buttons. I still hit the A button all the time in Madden when I see an open receiver with an X prompt undecided
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 25, 2022, 02:04:48 PM

I'm trying to play it keyboard; what's kind of annoying is that all the tutorial popups are like "we assume you are playing this with a controller" so I have to memorize keymaps and try to ignore what I'm seeing on screen.
schild
Administrator

Reply #61 on: February 25, 2022, 02:05:38 PM

There are no PS4/PS5 icons though -- only Xbox icons -- so if that messes with your brain you might not want to go that route.

I'm sure this will get fixed, but also, I think Rasix can sort this out. No MS controller even comes close to a ps4 one.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #62 on: February 25, 2022, 02:10:04 PM

Kinda hard to find legit MS battery packs from legit sellers right now. I just replaced my xbox series controller (left thumbstick died) and went with a 3rd party battery pack until stocks come back. That said, those battery packs are basically necessary unless you love changing batteries, and I like having them separate rather than integrated ala PS controllers. Ditto the wireless dongle thingy.

As far as button confusion, the main problem imo is the dern X buttons. I still hit the A button all the time in Madden when I see an open receiver with an X prompt undecided

I just plugged a usb charger into an outlet in my couch and plugged the USB-C cable into my XBOX controller and skipped the batteries. Not like I am going to go roaming the house carrying my controller so I don't mind the cable.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #63 on: February 25, 2022, 02:17:10 PM

My issue with the Xbox controller button labelling is it's swapped from the Nintendo layout (presumably MS didn't want to get sued). Most of the time I can keep them straight but occasionally the Nintendo button muscle memory will kick in instead of the Xbox one. In Elden Ring that usually means I'll press X instead of Y and drink a flask when I didn't want to then I have to trudge back to camp, rest, and respawn everything and then fight my way back to the miniboss.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: February 25, 2022, 02:24:44 PM

I'm sure this will get fixed, but also, I think Rasix can sort this out. No MS controller even comes close to a ps4 one.
Has any game PC ever actually updated this based on what kind of controller you have plugged in? Semi-serious, because I don't think so. I too vastly prefer PS controllers over Xbox, and am just used to the icons being wrong forever.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #65 on: February 25, 2022, 02:54:53 PM

Yes there are PC games that include icons for both PS and Xbox controllers (not sure about Nintendo/Switch) and will switch between them when detected. Heck even Horizon Zero Dawn for PC has the icons for both (I just checked). FromSoftware, though, is known for their low-effect PC ports and doesn't bother to do these sorts of things. For their other titles like Seikro, which also only came with Xbox icons, it was possible to mod them to add in the appropriate icons but Elden Ring has Easy Anti-Cheat running which will likely make it very difficult to mod the game unlike their earlier titles.

Edit: actually something like Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is probably a better example of a game that has both sets
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 03:02:41 PM by Trippy »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #66 on: February 25, 2022, 03:42:39 PM

I've never understood the appeal of these games. They seem designed primarily to raise someone's blood pressure and let internet nerds brag about how awesome they are after getting past a boss fight. I really have nothing else to add except "enjoy? I guess?"

They're really not at hard as their reputation.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: February 25, 2022, 06:42:23 PM

I find them hard and that's not what I like about them.

I guess what I like is the sense of strangeness? I mean, I just played for the first time tonight and I wandered down towards the beach. I met a giant and he fucked me up and I died. Then I found there was a person I should have talked to who explained a few things and a grace I should have saved at. Then I went down and went past the giant. There were some blobby things on the beach. I left  them alone. There was a strange invisible thing making glowy footprints. I investigated, couldn't do anything, left it alone.

There were three strange dudes along the beach. They attacked me. I killed them. There was a cave. There was a grace in it. I saved. There were warnings of something worse in the cave and advice to have fire. I didn't so I didn't go further. I wandered up the beach. There was a dude under a rock overhang. I was feeling aggressive, so I tried to kill him. He was a merchant. I shouldn't have tried. I died. I went back and he's still fucking angry. I decided to start over.

I like the strangeness of the world, the sense of "I have no idea what comes next". Normally I don't like it because it's a world on hidden rails and if I don't do exactly what I'm supposed to do I can't progress. Sooner or later I will start to do what "gits gud" but right now I don't care so much.

All the Souls worlds have a feeling of strangeness about them. That's the best part.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #68 on: February 25, 2022, 07:02:35 PM

They're really not at hard as their reputation.

I actually went into this game with a thought that this was going to be harder than it actually is (and yes it is very early in the game for me). But I really thought I'd get smashed right out of the gate but so far so good.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 26, 2022, 03:21:29 PM

I'm not very gud in any sense but I'm doing ok. I have no idea what I'm doing when I level up really because I'm trying to not look at guides. But I spent most of the day repeatedly killing the soldiers at that ruined fort near the big gate just to get a sense of how to handle combat in real conditions and I finally cleared the area pretty smoothly. I went off across the bridge nearby and actually surprised myself by killing the patrolling guy on the horse pretty easily. I didn't fuck with the two giants. I went under the bridge and some invader killed me, ok, not a problem, I got my runes back and went back to the beach area. I might try a mini-dungeon/mini-boss soon, though one try at the golden horse rider near the church didn't go well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elden Ring (FromSoftware)  
Jump to: