Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:46:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Invincible (Amazon) Can we talk about Amazon's... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Invincible (Amazon) Can we talk about Amazon's...  (Read 5496 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: April 28, 2021, 05:49:43 AM

Loving this series so far. A cornucopia of voice work from both real and animated career peeps. Reminds me of my time playing City of Heroes, in which any number of things could be happening (bank robberies, alien invasions, kaiju attacks) and it was just the norm for heroes to be there and take care of it, but with a nice uptick in gore and visceral imagery.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:12:52 AM by rattran »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 06:21:22 AM

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 09:19:12 AM

Yeah, I'm digging it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 09:55:54 AM

I have such complicated feelings about the comic, so I'm not sure I want to start that experience all over again.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 06:00:33 PM

Ok.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 08:45:25 PM by Sky »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 06:05:06 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 06:32:50 PM

I completely get what Kirkman is doing in the comic and I presume in the show by trying to say "ok, if two near-invulnerable beings are punching each other through buildings, they're going to kill people, destroy cities, and end up bloody themselves, especially if they're actually trained to kill and maim". I especially get it when he's got Invincible and the other Viltrumites punching a non-Viltrumite and finding out that even the slightest over-calculation ends up breaking bones or punching internal organs out someone's back.

In a way, it's like Paul Chadwick's comic Concrete, which sort of took seriously why the Thing in Marvel Comics would feel so angry and disgusted--Concrete is basically Thing-like but Chadwick gets to the specifics--he doesn't poop, he doesn't eat normally any longer, he has no genitalia at all, he has weird new senses appropriate to the body, he has to sit in a special chair and he can't get in a normal car without destroying the chassis instantly, etc. (Despite this, Concrete is not Ben Grimm-angry, he's kind of philosophical about it all--but that's sort of the point, the situation is such that most people would find it unbearable.) The DC Universe cartoons had a great final episode for Justice League Unlimited where Superman talks about how he walks through a world made of cardboard and why he's happy that he can actually punch Darkseid without holding back, but they don't really dwell on the implications of the former part--what's it like to grow up understanding you live in a world full of cardboard where even the slightest carelessness could lead to someone getting their arm ripped off?

So Invincible takes that seriously. The problem for me is that this becomes the defining ethos of the comic as time goes on--jaws literally punched off, blood everywhere, etc. It's sort of as if the horrific nightmare destruction of London in Miracleman that changes the entire world forever in profound ways becomes just another kind of routine action trope of everyday superhero comics.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 11:24:37 PM

Kirkman seems to go through that arc just a natural progression, since the Walking Dead just turned into shock character death after shock character death, and he had to up the ante with each one until you are just numb.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 12:35:14 PM

Not being familiar with the comic, I've been waiting a while for the reveal in episode 8 (why did he do the thing?) and I found it kind of a letdown.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 12:37:01 PM by Samwise »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 03:48:39 PM

You do get some more context/explanation of the timing later if it sticks to the comic, but not quite what you're hoping for.
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 11:10:46 PM

Good show. Very graphic but fresh in itīs approach to superheroes (atleast for me).

That reveal also felt somewhat forced, and could have been better handled. Nolanīs emotional rollercoaster ride was also in my opinion slightly hard to believe. Hopefully they pick it up again.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 04:34:10 AM

Already renewed for two more seasons.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 11:32:22 AM

Great news! Definitly on my watch list.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 03:41:16 PM

Is it wrong that I like almost everything except the main plot?

Kind of feel the same as Khaldun and Haemish re: gore.

The reveal was a letdown

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 06:54:35 AM

yeah after further thought I've decided that the whole concept of the Viltrumites is nonsensical and it's best to just ignore it and enjoy the punching.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 06:10:14 AM

Binged this over the weekend and liked it.

The shit gore was a little distracting but not half as bad as The Boys. A lot of it felt like 'The Boys, but Good'.

Like walking dead I forsee it getting crap if it goes on too long. Which it is likely too.

I had no issue with the ending and fwiw assumed the timing of killing the guardiams was about JJ Jameson having put it off for too long because they were friends, but then realising he needed to kill them before they became pals with Mark.

I didn't really see Nolan as an unconflicted villain either. For a cartoon show I thought they did a good job of emoting the conflict in him while not having him give any quarter in the actual fight. Sufficiently good that him  running away was fine.

Was also impressed by the lack of incompetence plots.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 07:53:02 AM

One thing I do like about the series is that when the villains are conventional bwah-hah-hah my evil plot types, they're played as schmucks--Invincible is like "WTF is wrong with you, dude? You could be running a million-dollar business with that stuff?" Kirkman has a good eye for comics cliches and a way of lightly subverting them without completely overturning them.

If this goes on as long as the comic has, though, it eventually gets REALLY convoluted, partly because Kirkman is trying to avoid just returning everything to a status quo "Invincible patrols the city looking for injustice !!!" every nine or ten issues.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 09:12:34 AM

The action around all of those mini bad guy encounters was really well done.

It never felt repetitive, and they seemed to really use the flexibility the animation style afforded. On reflection I wonder if those sequences were put together by a '2nd unit' type team, because the silly gore shots were less evident and they were usually more imaginative than the main plot sequences.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: June 26, 2021, 09:41:24 AM

I think I stopped reading Invincible around issue #50 or so - at the very least, I don't remember there being a resolution to the Viltrumite issue so I can't tell how silly it would have gotten. I think the timing of Nolan killing the Guardians was mostly about Mark having developed his powers, so he felt like it was time to start weakening the resistance on the planet. He probably figured that while he could take the Guardians, it wouldn't be easy and he might not be able to fight off resistance if Cecil's team knew he was the killer.

The comic was so good because it took the Superman concept and did something interesting with it that we hadn't seen much before, plus the characters were all pretty well fleshed out and believable. I feel like they upped the gore in the show over the comics and at times, it got really over the top without adding much to the story. It was meant to show that these superpowers like super-strength that we all love from the comics would have some really nasty consequences. That worked quite well in the Guardians fight but in things like the fight in the subway, it was just too much, almost like a "goddamn, dude, we get it!"

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 26, 2021, 10:09:34 AM

The comic is pretty much that way too--or at least it became that way over time.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 31, 2021, 02:20:26 AM

So my curiosity got the better of me and through the power of youtube learned more about Invincible.

Atom Eve was really annoying to me, because the way she uses her powers she's more like the Invisible Woman than Molecule Man but apparently .

The conclusion of the Vitrumite storyline is almost a parody of the cartoon

Almost every issue I've seen is like the show: Mark is nearly beaten to death and usually ends up in the hospital and people say stuff like "it looks really bad but the doctors say he'll make it."

I regret the life decisions I've made that led me here.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Invincible (Amazon) Can we talk about Amazon's...  
Jump to: