Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Shitty [XYZ] takes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shitty [XYZ] takes  (Read 12733 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 12, 2021, 10:55:29 AM

Because women are simply objects and status symbols for men, obviously. /s

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: February 12, 2021, 08:40:03 PM

Women can't join the club, they can only be owned or conquered.  Ohhhhh, I see.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 13, 2021, 06:15:09 AM

The Alpha/Beta thing is pretty much bullshit. I do enjoy the fact that A and B type personalities is grounded in some level of scientific evidence, what people do tend to leave out when they describe themselves or an ideal partner or something as an 'A type'  is that was the term for a subset of people being studied who were dying at a higher rate and lower age of heart failure. People latched on to the personality traits highlighted but everyone seems to forget it was an attempt to identify people at higher risk of having a heart attack.

So, I guess if you're a self-described A type you should probably be paying a lot of attention to moderating your natural tendencies. And only marry an A type if they've got good life insurance and you are willing to put up with a lot of shit for a few decades.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 13, 2021, 07:01:09 AM

I keep pointing out to people that one of the absolute best longitudinal studies of human mental health and its consequences for general health, is the 75-year old Harvard-based Study of Adult Development. One of the things it shows is that the Harvard men with the highest GPAs, the most leadership credentials, the most accomplishments in the 10-20 years after graduating college, are also the men with a dramatically higher risk of suicide, depression, acute anxiety; they have dramatically higher divorce rates, much higher rates of alcoholism or drug addiction, and are far more likely to report feeling persistently unhappy; they have considerably higher chances of dying young from heart attacks or strokes and have other stress-related illnesses. So that much is exactly real: the big-man-on-campus driven-to-succeed people that we're still celebrating and upholding as models are much more likely to die young, hurt themselves and hurt everyone around them.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 13, 2021, 01:02:50 PM

In fairness, we as a society also kind of think the hard drinking, smoking, drug taking rock musician/artist is pretty cool and none of those are really strong indicators for a great life expectancy.

But we do recognise those are massively self-destructive behaviours that probably will cause you to burn out early. Nobody is like, 'live fast, die young!' about pulling 90 hour weeks getting sales pitches together and expecting not to make it past that.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #40 on: February 13, 2021, 01:05:34 PM

We are also as a society still under the delusion of the Great Man myth, that somehow these giants of history were all "great men" who were the only ones who could have done what they did. Of course, that forgets all the people who worked their asses off to make that person a success, as well as all the people who suffered for the lack of attention those "great men" gave to the people around them.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #41 on: March 11, 2021, 02:41:54 PM

Not posting that in the Covid thread, for obvious reasons:

blood == motor oil  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 12, 2021, 08:43:05 AM

There are so many weird ideas about climate and physiology that still remain in the global hive mind. (Among them that being cold is connected to catching a cold.)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Shitty [XYZ] takes  
Jump to: