Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:26:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2020: Pangolin Flu Edition 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2020: Pangolin Flu Edition  (Read 21907 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: December 02, 2020, 07:37:25 PM

The NFL has claimed that the Broncos thing was because of the blatant disregard for the protocols with the masks, while the Ravens issue was just people catching it. In other words, bullshit. Fucking RGIII was playing QB for the Ravens today. And the Steelers I think had some players test positive as well (James Conner was out because of it I think). The Ravens/Cowboys game that was supposed to be on Thursday will be played next Tuesday as well. Like with concussion protocols and domestic violence, the NFL makes lots of noises about doing things safely, but it's just performative bullshit.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36 on: December 03, 2020, 05:40:43 AM

The NFL has claimed that the Broncos thing was because of the blatant disregard for the protocols with the masks, while the Ravens issue was just people catching it. In other words, bullshit. Fucking RGIII was playing QB for the Ravens today. And the Steelers I think had some players test positive as well (James Conner was out because of it I think). The Ravens/Cowboys game that was supposed to be on Thursday will be played next Tuesday as well. Like with concussion protocols and domestic violence, the NFL makes lots of noises about doing things safely, but it's just performative bullshit.

Broncos disregarded mask protocols - sure. But the reason the Ravens were all testing positive was what? I thought it was because a strength coach basically disregarded protocols and came in infected? Makes no sense... should have been a forfeit but here we are.

On the other hand... working from home and having NFL on in the afternoon on a Wednesday was actually kinda nice.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37 on: December 03, 2020, 06:31:13 AM

The NFL seems to be both pretty strict and completely clueless when it comes to cracking down on shitty behavior, so business as usual.

#mylesgarretwasjumped
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #38 on: December 03, 2020, 06:41:44 AM

Broncos disregarded mask protocols - sure. But the reason the Ravens were all testing positive was what? I thought it was because a strength coach basically disregarded protocols and came in infected? Makes no sense... should have been a forfeit but here we are.

Difference, if you really want to dig into it, is that in one case it was the players themselves and in the other it was a disposable staffer.  Not that this is an excuse, of course.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #39 on: December 11, 2020, 07:42:29 AM

I'm actively hoping the Cowboys just continue to tank, we end up with the 4th overall pick, and we draft a QB to replace Dak

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: December 11, 2020, 08:29:55 AM

That would be... unwise.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 11, 2020, 04:18:31 PM

QB is not your problem cough Jerry cough but a new coach might help a lot.
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 11, 2020, 06:10:26 PM

Jerrah can fix everything with one phone call to Colin Kaepernick. That would be a media black hole that would implode ESPN and drown out ever Cheetolini.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #43 on: December 11, 2020, 08:22:50 PM

I mean, even if Kaep was fat and out of shape (which he's not), he'd still be better than *checks notes* Andy Dalton and... what the fuck is a Ben DiNucci?

I'm actually kind of amazed that McCarthy hasn't done better with this team. You'd think a coach who basically lived and died off the iso run would flourish with Zeke Elliot as his feature back. Turns out his system really does need a QB that can run around for 10 seconds dodging blitzers before finally finding a dude that's barely come open then hitting him on a dime. McCarthy in all his years has never learned to give struggling offensive tackles some help against the pass rush, and once you break Dak, there's nothing behind him.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #44 on: December 11, 2020, 08:57:00 PM

The problem with Dak is he wants real money now, and if the Cowboys pay him, if he's not already broken he'll be totally broken at some point because we have no offensive line left, we're paying Cooper millions in cap money, and Zeke is nigh useless. It's a train wreck.

Dude's 27 and had a season where he was sacked 56 times. That's not even counting hits. I think he would be a fantastic option elsewhere if he can recover, but paying him to stay on this team? Hell no. The defense and O-line is where the money needs to go, not the QB and WR's.

Similarly it's the same problem the Falcons are facing but due to the fact their QB and WR are old and expensive.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #45 on: December 11, 2020, 09:46:25 PM

The chance of Dallas getting a Russel Wilson level QB in the draft with Jerry having any input in the decision is next to nothing. I mean, they essentially stumblefucked their way into Dak as a 4th rounder and the last franchise QB they drafted high was Aikman, who was picked by Jimmy Johnson. You think anybody in that building has got the instinct to pick a franchise level QB?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 15, 2020, 06:12:36 AM

Godammit Lamar, couldn't you have rested in the locker room for another 5 minutes?  why so serious?
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 15, 2020, 06:50:27 AM

I really do not understand why teams don't assign a speedy DB to spy Lamar all game. Seems straight forward... you get beat by his arm, fair enough. But you damn well know he is going to run which is how the Ravens beat you most of the time. That said, still a good showing by the Browns. Way better than the first time around... sadly same result.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #48 on: December 15, 2020, 01:45:01 PM

The chance of Dallas getting a Russel Wilson level QB in the draft with Jerry having any input in the decision is next to nothing. I mean, they essentially stumblefucked their way into Dak as a 4th rounder and the last franchise QB they drafted high was Aikman, who was picked by Jimmy Johnson. You think anybody in that building has got the instinct to pick a franchise level QB?

Of course not, Jerry is dumb.

It all comes down to where they settle the post-COVID cap. If it's closer to $175M, the Cowboys are fucked. If it's closer to $195M, they will sign Dak without issue due to the rollovers and cutting useless Tyrone Crawford.

Meanwhile the cap hit of a new QB is around $7M for a first rounder. It's honestly the wave of the future to just try out new QBs if you're unsure imo, because you don't cripple your entire team with the new rookie payscale. Play the numbers game because the downside is low.

In other words, be damn sure Dak's the guy if he still wants a big deal coming off injury.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 01:46:32 PM by Paelos »

Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 15, 2020, 05:12:04 PM

Or wait for Philly to cut Wentz. or the Jets to drop Darnold.   why so serious?

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 15, 2020, 05:39:09 PM

Or wait for Philly to cut Wentz. or the Jets to drop Darnold.   why so serious?

Philly can't cut Wentz because of the cap hit they would take.  Darnold is going to the Patriots!

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #51 on: December 15, 2020, 07:45:13 PM

Darnold is butt. Absolutely no one should be waiting on him. I really don't see Wentz going anywhere next season because of the insane cap number.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 29, 2020, 11:48:04 AM

Just for my own sanity, because I know I'll be hard pressed to watch this game because of the shitty, shitty narrative that keeps circulating (while forgetting to mention a certain Peyton Man of the Year award held by this perceived menace to the field)...

Myles Garret removed Mason Rudolph's helmet because after getting sacked, Rudolph tried to pull off Garrett's helmet. This is clear in the video and never mentioned. Myles admits his attempt in retaliation was a mistake.

Myles Garrett swung Rudolph's helmet at his head, yep. He regrets the shit out of that. He did it because he was being held by a lineman while Rudolph charged at him singing. His reaction was to swing back and oops he was holding the helmet, but it was pure reaction (I suppose he was supposed to just let himself be held and beat on, according to the media). And also Pouncey came in and started swinging and kicking on Garrett while he was on the ground but that has also left the narrative.

Rudolph is frustrated and tries unsuccessfully to strip Garrett's helmet. Garrett gets pissed, returns in kind, but actually succeeds. Other players split them up, a Steelers lineman holds Garrett while Rudolph rushes at him and tries to sucker punch him, Garrett again returns in kind (except his free hand now has a helmet in it), and then Garrett is jumped by Pouncey.

If Mason had not tried to strip his helmet or sucker punch Myles, none of this happens. Garrett admittedly reacted poorly, but turnabout is still fair play. If you don't want to get punched, don't try to punch people. Rudolph got exactly what he asked for.

This whole thing bothers me because Garrett has admitted his mistake (he should've dropped the helmet first, imo, and the rest is fine). But the Steelers involved got a slap on the wrist and were dropped from the narrative. And now Garrett, who by all accounts is a sweet guy for whom this kind of thing is completely out of character, is now treated like the other heaviest penalized guy in the league, Vontaze Burfict. And I have a problem with that.

Fucking media.

Anyway, I figure the Steelers are likely to win, I just want the Browns to stack up double digits sacks. Not that it will change the narrative the media has decided upon. Fucking ridiculous (I just watched it again, Myles was walking away after stripping the helmet, Rudolph is clearly the aggressor).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #53 on: December 29, 2020, 08:50:05 PM

I think we can all agree that the Steelers deserve to lose simply because their QB is a rapist.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #54 on: December 30, 2020, 04:40:00 AM

this is how everything with the steelers works. completely different set of standards designed to protect one of the great pillars of the nfl ownerships. what a well run org oh la lah even though the only org that does more against the spirit of the game and sportsmanship on a more regular basis in the Pats, who guess what is another pillar of the nfl amazing ownership who we should forever sing the praises of.

fuck the nfl

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 11, 2021, 05:39:50 AM

Welp, I wish to make an apology on behalf of Browns nation for breaking the 5th seal and sending us further into the abyss of the 2021 apocalypse. Sure, everyone will say the Steelers  lost that game more than the Browns won it.... but a win is a win and I'll take it even if it does bring about the 4 horsemen.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 11, 2021, 06:17:19 AM

The Browns is the Browns  why so serious?

The first play had me on my feet, which is one of only a handful of times that's happened. The last I can remember was Mayfield stepping in for Tyrod a couple years back (the game that made me a Browns fan).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #57 on: January 11, 2021, 08:45:30 PM

Yeah, I cheered loudly when that ball sailed over Ben's hands on the first play of the day, and every INT he threw had me cackling with glee. Fuck the Steelers.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #58 on: January 11, 2021, 09:20:05 PM

Wait, the Browns made the playoffs *and* they won a game?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 12, 2021, 06:25:59 AM

They played pretty well, but the Steelers helped quite a bit. It was especially delicious that Pouncey (who was kicking Garrett when he was being held down) was the main fuckupper besides dopey Ben. I saw several guys make big plays and run directly over to Myles to celebrate. Best revenge.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 15, 2021, 06:20:41 AM

Henceforth known as THE Jacksonville Jaguars.
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 15, 2021, 10:17:07 AM

I am going to be very happy when another college coach falls completely on his face making the direct jump to the NFL... even more because it is Urban. Only way I see him succeeding is putting in some very good coordinators across the board. Otherwise, the Jagoffs hired a guy that HAD to stop working twice for health concerns. I somehow don't see the NFL being more relaxed than what he had in Ohio. Only thing off his plate is recruitment...otherwise, it is going to probably lead him to be around for 3 years and bail/get fired.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #62 on: January 15, 2021, 09:55:07 PM

Didn't they promise him GM duties as well, meaning he will have to do some kind of recruitment, just of grown ass men? I'm with you on the "well-regarded college coach falling flat on his face" vibe. I wonder how many coordinators he'll hire that will be arrested for domestic abuse, which he will conveniently know nothing about.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #63 on: January 17, 2021, 10:14:22 PM

I won't say the Browns Browns-ed it up in a playoff game, as they sure made it competitive. But yet again, a weird fumble ends their playoffs early, or at least contributes to the end. That TD would have been enough to win. And goddamnit, Mahomes better not be out for the Conference Championship because of that concussion. He clearly got his neck all twisted up and was seeing Alice and the Mad Hatter when he tried to stand up, but damn if the football gods don't owe us after 2020. Drew Brees looked well and truly done in the Saints' game and he is contemplating retirement. Seeing some of his throws reminded me of Peyton Manning's last season - the mind is there but the arm is just not. Of course, that may have been because his ribs were still all fucked up. I hope he comes back for one more season but only if the arm strength is there. Missing significant time for the last two seasons has been tough, but the fact that the Saints still won most of those games with Bridgewater and Hill at QB says something about the team.

I'm hoping for a Rodgers/Mahomes matchup for the Super Bowl, or even Rodgers/Allen - but goddamnit, do not let Brady into another Super Bowl and especially not with the Bucs in those ugly ass unis.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 19, 2021, 06:50:08 AM

I've been hearing 'neck/nerve' on Mahomes, which I read as 'concussion that we're going to sweep under the table for New Brady to play in the championship'.  why so serious?

The Browns, man...that rule needs to go away. At least the spot foul for PI makes some kind of sense. The fumble touchback is just so insanely punitive for the style of play that the League is pushing. McAfee put it nicely (and he's ok with the rule being in), 'fight for every yard...except the last one'. Doesn't make sense.

I get the risk v reward thing, but I can't recall a game where it didn't complete suck the fun out. Even if it goes in my team's favor, it feels cheap, like winning on a bad ref call.
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 19, 2021, 06:59:16 AM

I've been hearing 'neck/nerve' on Mahomes, which I read as 'concussion that we're going to sweep under the table for New Brady to play in the championship'.  why so serious?

The Browns, man...that rule needs to go away. At least the spot foul for PI makes some kind of sense. The fumble touchback is just so insanely punitive for the style of play that the League is pushing. McAfee put it nicely (and he's ok with the rule being in), 'fight for every yard...except the last one'. Doesn't make sense.

I get the risk v reward thing, but I can't recall a game where it didn't complete suck the fun out. Even if it goes in my team's favor, it feels cheap, like winning on a bad ref call.

I think I like Eisen's proposed rule change. You fumble out of the end zone and the offense gets the ball back on the 15 with a first and goal.

I love how the game promotes that idea that only the tip of the ball needs to break the plane of the endzone or touch the pylon before going out, but god forbid in a do or die playoff game you should try doing that because if you lose the ball, you lose the game. It is counter-intuitive to the way the game is actually played. If Higgs doesn't lose it there, he is in position to be the hero of the game if the Browns win... now he's just in the doghouse done in by a shit rule and a missed call.

All that being said, the Browns had a great run and I can't say that I am in any way disappointed with the end result. At the end of a pandemic year with no offseason and no OTAs with a brand new coach and offensive scheme, the Browns made the playoffs, beat the Steelers at Pittsburgh in the playoffs and ended up losing to the defending super bowl champs by less than a score? Yeah, that's something to hang you hat on for the future.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 19, 2021, 07:40:43 AM

The fuckin' Browns man, yeah...I know I'm a late-comer, fair-weather fan, but I'm a fan since Baker stepped in for Tyrod. Watching this crew go from 'unlock the free beer if you ever win again' to Superbowl contention? In a couple years? Impressive, and they're fun to watch. No dog pound for Higgins, in my opinion. He made the right play, it was a great defensive play, as well. Just a shit rule that keeps a team out of the superbowl (cough Saints PI no-call). With PI being the other big punitive call, it was nice to see the review added, and even after it's been taken out it seems PI calls are much more sane overall.

I like Eisen's proposal as well, maybe out to the 20 to preserve the feel of touchback, just without the loss of possession. Still punitive, but not shitty.

I'm also still wanting the 1 point for a kickoff through the uprights (and 2 for a punt through them, a 'shoulda kicked a FG' rule).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #67 on: January 19, 2021, 07:34:20 PM

You definitely can't blame Higgins for that fumble. He does what you are supposed to do - make every effort to get the ball across the goal line. The rule is a shit rule and really does punish making the attempt that every coach teaches you to make.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: January 22, 2021, 04:27:32 AM

i just find it insane that they didn't rule it a foul when the only contact is helm vs helm.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #69 on: February 01, 2021, 06:34:51 AM

Holy Shit Blockbuster Trade

Goddamn. Now that's a trade. Rams get Stafford and get rid of Goff and a buttload of picks, including their first-round picks through 2023. Clearly the Rams have decided Goff isn't worth the effort and based on the last two seasons (or at least since that terrible Super Bowl), I can't say as I blame them. Stafford has always been a good QB on a bad fucking team, and he gets out of Detroit and onto a team that is likely going to make the playoffs with or without him. I must admit, I didn't expect the Rams to give up on Goff so quickly after the season but clearly they had seen enough.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2020: Pangolin Flu Edition  
Jump to: