So, yeah, BFA sucked balls. Turns out taking the things that made Legion cool and trying to make them cooler by doing all the wrong things didn't work out. Who knew?!
So, in light of the popularity of Classic, the backfire of BFA, and the apparent theme of 2019 in that your project must have the word "shadow" in it, we're off to the Shadowlands to fight Sylvanas and whatever other-worldly grimdank that's been giving her demon vitamins.
Some hot takes:
- The "Lich King" is dead, but Bolvar's still breathing and will be the Khadgar of the expansion.
- You have to choose one of the four factions in the new expansion to bind yourself to. You can switch later, but of course at a cost. Each faction will give you unique abilities and gear. This is the artifact weapon/necklace thing of the expansion, but they've said that AP grinding is not a thing this expansion. Just old fashioned rep grinding.
- LEVEL SQUISH: After 8 expansions, two stat squishes, and years of grind, levels are getting the axe. Everyone at the cap will go back down to 50 and will grind to 60 for Shadowlands.
- The 1-10 grind can be your choice of the classic "starter" zones, or an all new tutorial zone.
- The 10-50 grind will be your choice of Vanilla or any WoW expansion. Each expansion is being re-tuned to be a proper leveling experience, scaled so that when you hit 50 you should be at the end of that expansion's level grind content.
- Classes are being re-tuned to be jacks of all trades of their skill sets instead of feeling like each spec is a unique, stand-alone class. Specs will still be there, but classic stuff is coming back (Paladin auras, Shaman totems, Rogue Poisons, etc.)
- No new classes, no new races. Just more allied races. They are adding more advanced customization for the base classes (humans can now be sub-racial ((orient, black, etc.)), undead can hide their bones, more troll tatts, etc.)
- All races can be Death Knights
Maybe it's some combination of BFA leaving a bad taste or the years of playing, but this isn't exciting me as much as previous expansions have done. I think I could get hyped for this, but we'll see how things develop over the coming months.