Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Watchmen (HBO) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Watchmen (HBO)  (Read 13253 times)
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

on: October 30, 2019, 03:00:24 PM

Enjoyed the first two episodes.  Glad they have removed cell phones from the world.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 08:41:58 PM

I can't imagine any media property that should exist less than a continued story in this universe.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 09:42:18 PM

I've been planning to resubscribe to the Rupert Murdoch rip-off cable/streaming service that has the rights to this in Australia, based on rave Watchmen reviews from a professional TV critic friend. Waiting till His Dark Materials also starts there in a couple of days.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 11:18:53 PM

I can't imagine any media property that should exist less than a continued story in this universe.

It's pretty interesting so far. It has next to nothing to do with Watchmen, but on its own its good (at least through 2 episodes).

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 07:38:35 AM

It's confusing as fuck to me. I mean, the story they are trying to tell is somewhat straightforward big conspiracy mystery thing. The confusing part is what the fuck this has to do with Watchmen and why it's considered a sequel? Ozymandias is barely in it, and just about everything else that is Watchmen is so sublimated into the background that it could be anything else. On it's own, it's not bad and decent enough that I will continue to watch it until it pisses me off. As a completely unnecessary sequel to a series that needed absolutely no embellishment whatsoever, it's a confusing fucking mess.

UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 12:31:04 PM

Adrian Veidt, Silk Spectre and Dr Manhattan are all in it.  It has the history of the graphic novel, raining squids was a nice touch.

It has only asked questions so far.  How it answers them will be interesting.

Veidt at least knows he is stuck in the past, with his family of cloned selves, and still is planning another event.  They are also not afraid to take on current topics with racism and police.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 12:33:01 PM

The racism/cop story is the part that feels the most out of place here, and I'm hoping that's largely because they haven't given us enough connective bits to be able to figure out WTF is going on.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 01:55:24 PM

I won't be watching this for quite some time yet, but the folks involved in making this have a history of hiding things in plain sight, of playing with expectations and using sleight of hand in interesting ways.  It sometimes doesn't work - it sometimes does.  I just get the feeling we'll think differently about the series after the first season ends than we do after watching a couple episodes.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 06:27:29 PM

I don't really care all that much about its connection or nonconnection to Watchmen. It is telling its own story and just using that world.  For what its worth Alan Sepinwall has seen the fist six episodes and says the 2nd is the worst of the bunch (and I thought it was pretty good), so let's wait and see where they go with it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 06:38:04 AM

It has only asked questions so far.  How it answers them will be interesting.

It's written by Damon Lindelof, so let me know how that works out for you.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 07:15:47 AM

The Leftovers complete redeemed him for Lost, shrug.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 10:37:03 AM

This is written by Lindelhof isn't it?

So not so much a history of hiding in plain sight as just making shit up as he goes along while pretending it was a grand plan?

Waiting till the whole season is done for someone here to tell me if it works.

Edit : nvm. Teach me to write a post, then actually send it later without checking what was written in between.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 06:26:23 PM

Shitting on Lindelhof's notorious history of coming up with great mysteries that he never bothers solving and acts pretentious as hell about afterwards when people start slamming him is worth continually repeating.

And I say this as someone who LIKED the Lost ending. But fuck him in the earhole for Prometheus.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 06:37:56 AM

And then after that he did The Leftovers in which the very first scene of the very first episode is all the worlds top scientists going "we have no idea wtf happened, there is no explanation, just enjoy the ride". People can learn from their mistakes.

I am the .00000001428%
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 08:46:11 PM

Well they certainly went deep on the original story for this third episode that’s for sure.

-H.L. Mencken
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 11:14:41 PM

I thought I saw the Brick Joke coming a mile away...then it surprised me when it landed.

--Dave
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 06:35:49 AM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 07:26:27 PM

This show was made instantly better by the addition of Jean Smart, and I don't mean because she's one of the original characters. She was just fun to watch at this part. The rest of the cast has been decent except for Jeremy Irons who seems to be given nothing to do but chew scenery in some vague way that's probably connected to the overarching plot for this season if I've guessed what's he's trying to do correctly.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 05, 2019, 04:00:04 PM

Man, no one picked up on my "deep" double entendre.

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: November 05, 2019, 08:34:16 PM

I'm still processing the whole Dr. Manhatten in a Suitcase thing.  why so serious?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 12:14:50 AM

Man, this show is bonkers.  awesome, for real

-H.L. Mencken
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 05:00:23 AM

Watched the first couple against my better judgement, and I know the comic was utterly convinced of its own importance but jesus christ.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 02:55:13 PM

Man, this show is bonkers.  awesome, for real

Yah. That last one was just fucking weird.

A+

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 06:17:33 PM

It's reveling in weirdness for weirdness sake, most notably with the Veidt storyline, which is either painfully obvious or completely irrelevant. The show is ten times better when either King or Smart are talking, squared if they are talking to each other.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 07:43:59 PM

I thought Lady Trieu was a great new character.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 17, 2019, 11:03:04 PM

Squid pro quo.

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 07:06:13 AM

This show vacillates between good writing and cringeworthy badness from minute to minute. I do like Looking Glass as a character and an actor.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 07:22:58 AM

A very "This is Us" vibe episode in this weird Lindelof post-Watchmen alternate history universe.

Mock me, but my favorite scene in this one was...

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 09:51:22 AM

Oh, and this Alan Moore interview (originally done in Brazil a few years ago, but just published recently in English on his website), some juicy morsels:
What was the impact of popular heroes comic books in our culture? Why are people fascinated by alternative realities?

I think the impact of superheroes on popular culture is both tremendously embarrassing and not a little worrying. While these characters were originally perfectly suited to stimulating the imaginations of their twelve or thirteen year-old audience, today’s franchised übermenschen, aimed at a supposedly adult audience, seem to be serving some kind of different function, and fulfilling different needs. Primarily, mass-market superhero movies seem to be abetting an audience who do not wish to relinquish their grip on (a) their relatively reassuring childhoods, or (b) the relatively reassuring 20th century. The continuing popularity of these movies to me suggests some kind of deliberate, self-imposed state of emotional arrest, combined with an numbing condition of cultural stasis that can be witnessed in comics, movies, popular music and, indeed, right across the cultural spectrum. The superheroes themselves – largely written and drawn by creators who have never stood up for their own rights against the companies that employ them, much less the rights of a Jack Kirby or Jerry Siegel or Joe Schuster – would seem to be largely employed as cowardice compensators, perhaps a bit like the handgun on the nightstand. I would also remark that save for a smattering of non-white characters (and non-white creators) these books and these iconic characters are still very much white supremacist dreams of the master race. In fact, I think that a good argument can be made for D.W. Griffith’s Birth of a Nation as the first American superhero movie, and the point of origin for all those capes and masks.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: November 18, 2019, 12:09:24 PM

Goddamn, Alan Moore went full batshit asshole. I kind of knew this already but goddamn. Still, at least he's not racist asshole crazy like Frank Miller.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 24, 2019, 08:44:54 PM

Holy shit. Amazing episode.

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: November 24, 2019, 09:51:34 PM

Yeah, that was visually amazing. I'm still finding myself getting taken out of the story a little bit trying to connect it to Watchmen, but it has kept me watching.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 24, 2019, 09:56:04 PM

Really? They just had a whole episode about the backstory of the original Costumed Adventurer that featured a bunch of the Minutemen and satirical take down of Snyder's version.  This episode was an entire examination of The Watchmen as a thing. 

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #32 on: November 25, 2019, 09:11:29 AM

Yes the reveal that Hooded Justice was who he was kept taking me out of the story, because I kept thinking that it just didn't sound right. I guess we'll call that a deconstructionist deconstruction of a deconstructionist story? It's a turducken of layers within layers of piss takes and "subverting expectations."

I'm not saying I didn't like it - I did. Like I said, it should win some Emmy's on its own just for the visuals, as they were clearly meant as an homage to Gibbons' panel construction as well as Will Eisner's work on the Spirit.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 01, 2019, 07:47:57 PM

Did NOT see that one coming.  awesome, for real

-H.L. Mencken
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #34 on: December 02, 2019, 06:21:39 AM

ACK!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Watchmen (HBO)  
Jump to: