Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:57:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Disco Elysium 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disco Elysium  (Read 33881 times)
schild
Administrator

on: October 17, 2019, 10:28:24 PM

Yes.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 05:20:09 AM

You made a very compelling case, so I bought it. Lets see this weekend if your praise was warranted.  awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 06:16:39 AM

You made a very compelling case, so I bought it. Lets see this weekend if your praise was warranted.  awesome, for real

you rolled a 4 trying to get your necktie and died
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 06:55:56 AM

I said this in discord about 5 minutes into the game.  This is the game that I wanted Torment (the new one) to be.  After a few hours now, I still stand by that statement.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 08:49:44 AM

Get Underrail for free if you buy it on gog.

Also, yes. I generally dislike the drug/alcoholic/morose stuff that's pretty core to at least the initial experience, but it's so well done I can roll with it. I'm pretty sure I'll be thorooughly seeing the 'wrong' way to play, but it's interesting af.

As far as Torment, that game fell utterly flat for me and I'm already engaged with this one, so...yeah.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 11:39:13 AM

IGN actually has a seemingly* decent review of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp8llWcWrc0

* I haven't played it myself yet
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 01:17:49 PM

don't need IGN

"Yes" suffices.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 01:45:21 PM

don't need IGN

"Yes" suffices.

"I want to have fuck with you".

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

I think I'm stuck, feels like I jumped the plot. Somehow I ended up in the Harbour and can't get back to the original area. I wasn't lead there by the plot, I made some jump that looks like it was unidirectional.

Game's too new to find an answer online...kind of a bummer since the game is excellent, like hitting a brick wall though.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 10:41:18 AM

Due to the art style, there's some areas where it's harder to see some of the paths. I'm pretty sure I know where you are, and there are some stairs in the area (near an NPC, who is sitting down) kinda southish I guess that leads you back near the start.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 01:07:06 PM

I think I'm stuck, feels like I jumped the plot. Somehow I ended up in the Harbour and can't get back to the original area. I wasn't lead there by the plot, I made some jump that looks like it was unidirectional.

Game's too new to find an answer online...kind of a bummer since the game is excellent, like hitting a brick wall though.

I'm guessing the death is because of the uncomfortable chair? I took damage there too, but usually there is some skill check somewhere in the dialogue tree that lets you avoid damage. Did you try all options?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 02:41:21 PM

I could probably get out of it, I survived the chair but he got me on morale. I could save scum it, but I don't want to roll like that.

I'll look for the stairs again, I tab the shit out of everything, surprised I missed anything!

Also, tab works like it should in these games, highlighting clickies. In case you guys haven't already done it out of habit :D
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 02:46:37 PM

In this instance tab wouldn’t help because the stairs are just a path, not something you would click on to go to another zone.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 09:02:10 PM

Nope, my scouring of the level yielded the correct exit path. Dev comment I found:

So 2 more pro tips...

edited to add
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:10:36 PM by Sky »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 08:30:55 PM

Fuck you guys for making me fire up my 'doze box for this.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 08:15:03 PM

I have logged 4 hours.

This is a masterpiece. Fact. Period.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 12:20:12 AM

I wish some of you would use some words to actually describe what it is and/or what makes it so good.  Schild describes the game as "yes".  Sky talks about surviving some chair and not being able to find some stairs.  Velorath goes on and on about the benefits of the tab button.

Guess I will have to watch a review or something.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 12:39:34 AM

Noir Planescape Torment with a philosophical bent, with more text to read, even weirder and without D&D fights, basically.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 03:12:59 AM

I wish some of you would use some words to actually describe what it is and/or what makes it so good.  Schild describes the game as "yes".  Sky talks about surviving some chair and not being able to find some stairs.  Velorath goes on and on about the benefits of the tab button.

If you want to see what the game is, yeah just watch a video or something. Plenty of that stuff around. The reason most of us like it is ultimately the writing. Even in our Discord channel I've been trying not to read or post too much because I'd rather discover as much of it as I can myself.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 06:39:45 AM

I watched about 30 seconds of a streamer playing on release day and bought it immediately.

"Yes" is an accurate review, unless you hate reading and rpgs. It's sofa king good.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 07:43:02 AM

Blind Faith. Just go buy the thing. Every single person who has it is enthralled.

Also, Yes.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 03:02:02 PM

Five hours in and I think I'm done.

This is just a pretentious book with an interesting character building system slapped underneath it.

I'm quite sure if you're loving it, you're loving it but I ain't loving it.  I'm bored.

Though it was alllllmost worth it for 'time to work in the shit factory.'  That was a damn good line.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 09:15:13 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: October 23, 2019, 09:30:17 AM

Welcome to the other side of asking you about VR.

why so serious?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 10:47:57 AM

It IS interesting to see the divide this game causes.  It's getting rave reviews by and large, but boy, that minority that doesn't like it REALLY doesn't like it.  See it on the various message boards and in the few critical game reviews.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 23, 2019, 10:54:29 AM

Welcome to the other side of asking you about VR.

why so serious?

Yes

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #26 on: October 23, 2019, 11:16:33 AM

It's fantastic. Period. The only criticism is that it's "just" a glorified Choose Your Adventure and so if someone misses more "game", fine. Their loss.

But with that said, when something is praised THIS much, it is inevitable and human to feel compelled to add a few extra dislike-points to any negative feeling.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #27 on: October 23, 2019, 11:57:58 AM

This is one of those games I'll watch a few clips of just to keep up with all you ruffians, but definitely not a game I would ever have any interest in myself.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: October 23, 2019, 12:30:29 PM

It IS interesting to see the divide this game causes.  It's getting rave reviews by and large, but boy, that minority that doesn't like it REALLY doesn't like it.  See it on the various message boards and in the few critical game reviews.

people who don't like it are wrong
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: October 23, 2019, 11:10:29 PM

Well. That was a masterpiece. Now to play through it 20 more times.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #30 on: October 24, 2019, 09:43:31 AM

I got shivers multiple times while playing this. Most recent one, the intercom conversation. Before and after suceeding the Volition roll. What a masterpiece.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 02:18:40 AM

It's hard to describe the game without spoilering a lot of it.
Mechanically it's basically Planescape: Torment minus all of the bits that sucked about that game (i.e combat) with a detective story (again telling you more would spoiler a lot) set in a retro (?) neo noir world with everything turned up to 11. The enjoyment of this game hinges on whether you are a fan of PS: Torment style walls of text. It's very well written text though.

You like noir, you like weird, you like the good bits of Torment then

Yes.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 02:21:54 AM

Also, yes. I generally dislike the drug/alcoholic/morose stuff that's pretty core to at least the initial experience, but it's so well done I can roll with it. I'm pretty sure I'll be thorooughly seeing the 'wrong' way to play, but it's interesting af.

At least two members of the creative team behind this are recovering alcoholics/addicts and it shows.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 25, 2019, 04:00:13 AM

I never played P:T, so the reference is lost on me.  Still, I may give this a go when time permits.

schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: October 25, 2019, 06:46:17 AM

I never played P:T, so the reference is lost on me.  Still, I may give this a go when time permits.

It's P:T. P.T. is a silent Hill project.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Disco Elysium  
Jump to: