Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:07:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: HBO: His Dark Materials 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HBO: His Dark Materials  (Read 1773 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: July 18, 2019, 09:38:37 PM

Series version this time and looks like they are throwing a ton of money at it.  First full trailer just dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yuIE1OYnVI

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 11:09:30 PM

Wow. That looks 1000x times closer to the source than the movie's attempt. I just might have to get HBOflix when it comes out. My only hope is that they do all three books, though I'm thinking book 3 runs into 'issues' and either gets modified significantly and/or splits into 2 or 3 seasons.

I'm down though, it's one of my favorite book series.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 01:20:38 AM

Agreed, but if they can extend it out a few seasons they can probably paste over the "14 year olds gettin busy" parts of it to at least have the two be actual young adults of proper age. 

The author could have done the same damn thing but for "reasons" I guess he didn't. Same beef I have with Donaldson and his rapey shit. Like, you had such great shit right there if you didn't taint it with your weird hang-ups.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 06:45:45 AM

That does look awesome.  I'm not sure if I'll need to have read the books before watching though.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 09:07:38 AM

Did they freeze Dafne Keen after Logan or something? cause it's been like three years and she still looks the same age. As far as the show goes it looks like they are going all out, which is a good sign.

I am the .00000001428%
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 09:24:38 AM

That does look awesome.  I'm not sure if I'll need to have read the books before watching though.

Book one can be told decently on screen with little removed. Book two less so. Book three? I have no idea how they’ll put that to screenplay and frankly I can’t imagine it will be easy. The church lobby will get their hands in that process for sure.

The books are well worth reading though. It gets billed as YA fiction but really is not. Fun fact: author Phillip Pullman disliked writing. He forced himself in the beginning to sit down and write one hour per day. Eventually he developed routines and found one hour grew to two, two to four and so on. It’s funny to hear someone doing a hobby they hate from the start.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: HBO: His Dark Materials  
Jump to: