Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:09:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread  (Read 78829 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: November 12, 2019, 10:50:48 AM

Undoubtedly, my tastes diverge from most people in that I tend to prefer character driven stories in books.  I usually put that above plot.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: November 12, 2019, 11:24:58 AM

Why do you think he's named Richard? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: November 12, 2019, 12:47:37 PM

I read most of SoT, I don't remember where I stopped.

I'm re-reading the Lightbringer series. Really good book and the last book just came out. I read these over a year ago.
WayAbvPar

Reply #213 on: November 20, 2019, 06:09:25 PM

Only fantasy series* I ever bailed on was Erikson's Malazan stuff. I just got tired of meeting an entirely new cast of characters every fucking book to the point that I quit caring if or how they would end up together. Pity, since there definitely was some cool stuff along the way.

* I read a couple of Drizz't books in my youth before I realized that Salvatore was perhaps the worst best selling author to ever set pen to paper.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: November 20, 2019, 06:47:30 PM

Man those Malazan books were rough; I struggled through the first one and just when I was getting a handle on the world/characters/etc., Book 2 changed everything up and I said fuck it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: November 20, 2019, 11:11:55 PM

I gave up on them after four or five books, for probably the same reasons.  I also seem to remember it being needlessly pretentious in the prose, but that is more a matter of taste.

I will admit I quite liked Salvatore's stuff, if for no other reason than that guy can write a swordfight like nobody else can, and I am a sucker for that sort of thing.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: November 21, 2019, 09:31:48 AM

Except the new cast of characters thing each book ended up with all the characters being brought together or interacting in some way.  Malazan books were fantastic and I'm thinking of using some work award to get a big enough B&N gift card so I can buy the ebook versions of them all.  I love the series but my physical copies are so mismatched (hardback, trade paperback, mass market paperback) and the books are so damn thick that it gets hard to read after a while.  I'm more than willing to drop $90+ on a full set of 10 books.  Want to finish picking up the Esslemont Malazan books, too. 

I also have a bunch of the Drizz't books and while they aren't high art literature, they are enjoyable to read and I don't come away feeling like my time was wasted, so that's a plus.  I also will not confirm or deny that my SB elf was a darkskinned bladedancer, either.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: November 21, 2019, 09:43:43 AM

I read like 6? 8? of the Malazan books when I just gave up. It got tiring. One day I might try again.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: November 21, 2019, 04:49:28 PM

I read like 6? 8? of the Malazan books when I just gave up. It got tiring. One day I might try again.

I think I read 2, there is a density to certain writing styles that I just can't handle in the I am exhausted reading them way.  I have such a low bar for what relaxes or amuses me that I think I have read the WoT 3 or 4 times (first book 8 or 9), this is basically my alternative to freecell/mindsweeper zombie mode escapism.  I don't read because I want to think deep and provoking thoughts I read to unwind, fuck I think I have read Bill the Galactic Hero 4 or 5 times and it doesn't get more low brow than that.  As far as the braid tugging type of crap I just skim past it. 
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: November 21, 2019, 11:21:00 PM

I think I read 2, there is a density to certain writing styles that I just can't handle in the I am exhausted reading them way.  I have such a low bar for what relaxes or amuses me that I think I have read the WoT 3 or 4 times (first book 8 or 9), this is basically my alternative to freecell/mindsweeper zombie mode escapism.  I don't read because I want to think deep and provoking thoughts I read to unwind, fuck I think I have read Bill the Galactic Hero 4 or 5 times and it doesn't get more low brow than that.  As far as the braid tugging type of crap I just skim past it. 

That's me as well.  And "density" is a good word to describe it.  I used "prententious", but I think your word is more accurate.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #220 on: November 22, 2019, 05:33:06 AM

Funny, I started re-reading the first Malazan book last week on a lark.  It's interesting re-visiting the beginning, knowing how powerful everyone is by the end of the series.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: November 22, 2019, 07:35:37 AM

That's me as well.  And "density" is a good word to describe it.  I used "prententious", but I think your word is more accurate.

I started using density after taking over 2 weeks to read Heart of Darkness, which at 144 pages  might be one of the the greatest books ever written on a page for page basis, I could barely finish it.  I gained a deeper appreciation for Hemingway after this ;)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: November 22, 2019, 09:25:00 AM

Except the new cast of characters thing each book ended up with all the characters being brought together or interacting in some way.  Malazan books were fantastic and I'm thinking of using some work award to get a big enough B&N gift card so I can buy the ebook versions of them all. 

This. Malazan is my favorite book series. Epic is the best word to describe them.

I am the .00000001428%
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #223 on: November 22, 2019, 12:38:59 PM

I read all the Malazan books. I remember him being obsessed with the word susurration, having never heard it before in my life. That's about the only thing I recall from that slog of books. That and Fiddler.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: November 22, 2019, 01:39:58 PM

Is it time to mention the Black Company?  I feel like it is time.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: November 23, 2019, 03:53:32 AM

What do Honeycrisps have anything to do with it?

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #226 on: November 24, 2019, 11:10:08 AM

A book that was obsessed with the word "menhir".
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #227 on: November 24, 2019, 11:16:25 AM

*tugs braid and sniffs*

BACK ON TOPIC!!! Here's the latest from Randland, courtesy of "Weekly Wheel News"  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS 

(you all deserved this)

Walk in the Light.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: November 27, 2019, 06:16:09 AM

Ok that Gaendal line got me.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: December 04, 2019, 03:35:17 PM

One month went by already? Geez....

But that means MOAR casting news!

Let's go:

1) Meet LOGAIN (Alvaro Morte; pictured the character completely different. Oh well)

-------

2) And what about our favourite resident Ogier, LOIAL SON of ARENDT? (Hammed Animashaun; big ears not included...yet):

----------------------

3) Like every year, again a peddler arrives in Emond's Field for Bel Tine festival, bringing goods and news from the outside world. His name is PADAN FAIN (Johann Myers) :

And this is it!

No, wait, looks like it's going to be a good festival with a gleeman amongst the visitors! THOM MERRILIN, ladies and gents! (Alexandre Willaume: umm, yeah, I'll wait for some intense moustache pulling by Elayne before judging :D)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 04:57:48 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: December 08, 2019, 11:20:55 AM

Thom looks way too young, by more than a decade; he's only six years older than Rosamund Pike when he should be at least twenty. Logain looks pretty close to how I imagined him; Padan Fain too.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #231 on: December 09, 2019, 08:55:11 AM

Thom looks way too young, by more than a decade; he's only six years older than Rosamund Pike when he should be at least twenty. Logain looks pretty close to how I imagined him; Padan Fain too.
Dye his hair gray and he will look just fine.  I actually thought he was older than he was in that photo.

Logain looks very close to how my mental picture was.

Padan Fain:  Something Something make the black guy the evil villain something.    awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: December 09, 2019, 10:01:51 AM

Honestly, having a blonde lady (Pike) who is not short playing someone who is described in detail as being short and having dark hair is the most glaring casting issue I see :P

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #233 on: December 17, 2019, 11:17:50 AM

I've often wondered if unionized actors (like part of SAG) were doing Netflix (and other streaming services like Amazon) given until recently they didn't have any agreements and arguably didn't fall under the normal 'TV and film' clauses.

I wonder if that played a part in the casting process?

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: December 25, 2019, 06:32:36 AM

It's Xmas, so it's a good time for a threesome, especially when the Green Ajah is involved.

Aes Sedai Alanna Mosvanni has been cast along with her two Warders, Ihvon and Maksim (Owein in the books):
https://deadline.com/2019/12/the-wheel-of-time-cast-series-fantasy-books-priyanka-bose-taylor-napier-emmanuel-imani-1202816315/

From left to right: Priyanka Bose, Taylor Napier (Maksim) and Emmanuel Imani (Ihvon)

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: December 25, 2019, 08:57:53 AM

That's not a great picture of Priyanka, but further googling tells me she'll be good as Alanna. She's not actually in EotW, which tells me the first season is going to include at least some elements of tGH. Wonder why the renamed Owein.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: December 25, 2019, 09:26:05 AM

They will definitely include some elements from TGH, but from previous reports it looks like they'll show Logain's capture and subsequent gentling as well. As you might remember, all of that happens in book 1 (but it's kept "off screen" by RJ).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 09:27:42 AM by Lucas »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: December 25, 2019, 04:52:58 PM

Ahh true, I forgot about that. I'm assuming they'll introduce most of the Aes Sedai during those scenes then, if they aren't going past EotW.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: January 06, 2020, 04:36:32 AM

At the time of the Shannara books I was in college and was a huge LOTR fanboy. I got about half way through Sword of Shannara before I stopped reading in disgust at how derivative and childish it was compared to LOTR. I've been thinking about giving it another shot. I was a horrible fantasy snob back then and maybe I didn't give it a fair chance.
I made it all the way through WoT although it was an incredible relief when Sanderson took over the series.

Well if you want mi opinion on it, The first book is a childish LOTR ripoff, you are right about that. "The Elfstones of Shannara" was decent enough even though Brooks obsession with the "oh is it wrong to masturbate use magic" moral question got a bit tiresome, especially when they had demons chasing their asses. But there is some great action and Battle scenes in there, so all in all I think its a good book. A LOT better and more grown up than than "Sword. Great ending too.

I think the third book, "Wishsong of Shannara," is excellent. Kinda of a dark, edgy story that's a well rounded self contained tale. Kinda helps when Brooks was allowing major characters to die, so he had his grown up face on for that one.

The 4 books ("the Heritage of Shannara" series) after were a self contained tale. I've only read the last 2 of the books but I enjoyed them. They are not quite as good as Wishsong for me, but it's a enough  decent story. Brooks had his obsession with moral dilemma magic back on after letting it slide with "Wishsong" though.

So if you want to read the best of the Shannarra books then I highly recommend at least reading "Wishsong." And I just looked at the wikipedia article on the Shannara books as I couldn't remember the titles and BOY Brooks has wrong out the Shannara world for all its worth since I stopped paying attention.

Hic sunt dracones.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: January 06, 2020, 02:53:19 PM

Alright. I'll just read a synopsis of "Sword" and move onto the rest then.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: January 21, 2020, 01:18:21 PM

Some members of the cast recently shared a pic of themselves on social media(s) with a copy of the current "table read" of the script for episode 6 (called "The Flame of Tar Valon").

For example, Madeleine Madden (Egwene):

Anyway, thanks to this little, intentional "leak", we know that Kate Fleetwood will play a beloved and likeable character: LIANDRIN SEDAI   DRILLING AND MANLINESS Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Still no news about either Min or the "blondest blonde girl who was ever blonde" aka Elayne  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 01:25:33 PM by Lucas »

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: January 21, 2020, 04:28:52 PM

Anyone know who they are hiring as Braid Weaver?  why so serious?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 05:11:23 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: January 22, 2020, 05:36:07 AM

There's another character who doesn't appear until Book 2. The actress is a good deal older than Liandrin (47 IRL, Liandrin should be around 33 at the beginning of the series) and has both the wrong eye and hair color.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: January 22, 2020, 06:32:57 AM

They obviously are planning on using a lot of wigs or they don’t give a shit about the book description of hair color since they cast Rosamund Pike as Moiraine.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: January 22, 2020, 06:43:20 AM

Right now, the most common theory is that the first season will include storylines/characters/events from book 2, although it's not granted that the end of S1 will coincide with the last fight of Book 2.

Yes, episode 6 is called "The Flame of Tar Valon", which is also the title of the first chapter in book 2 and the one that introduces The Amyrlin Seat, but given the visual nature of the TV show, it might simply mean that we get to know Siuan Sanche through a flashback much earlier on (tidbits from the "New Spring" prequel so we get the backstory of both Moiraine and the Amyrlin?), together with the general dynamics of the White Tower.
---------

Anyway, MOAR cast members posted a picture with the script (mainly through IG, but also Twitter), but haven't announced who they're playing.

Here's a picture:

McCormack - Gawyn?
Cheon Garcia - Anaiya or Leane? (she put a blue square nearby the "AesSedai" hashtag on IG)
Maria Doyle Kennedy - Now that's the look of a Siuan Sanche  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread  
Jump to: