Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:12:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread  (Read 78830 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: September 04, 2019, 12:03:41 PM

He looks young in that picture, but he's actually 39 so that's about right.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: September 05, 2019, 07:14:52 AM

The only time age really matters is if the show turns into a teen high school drama like Shannara kind of did.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: September 05, 2019, 07:39:46 AM

Lan's supposed to be twenty or more years older than the Two Rivers gang; this is an important part of his later character development, particularly

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: September 05, 2019, 08:45:21 AM

For Lan once you get him with a beard he will look older.  He should fit right in.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: September 05, 2019, 08:58:20 AM

That pic looks like it has had some airbrishing. The actual guy probably looks a bit older. Anyway, pretty acceptable.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: September 05, 2019, 12:55:45 PM

I agree. A little grey in his hair will go a long way as well.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: September 05, 2019, 11:31:03 PM

The only time age really matters is if the show turns into a teen high school drama like Shannara kind of did.

That's actually what I am afraid this will be.  We'll see!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #147 on: September 07, 2019, 03:08:35 AM

The books are pretty "safe" when it comes to controversial material (at least as far as I've been reading), it is known. Can't find the exact quote, but as it often happens in this cases, for example they aged up the Emond Fields gang because they plan to "show" a bit more. Judkins already hinted at some potential lesbian relationships in the Tower (Aes Sedai-Initiates/Novices), or some more explicit material involving Rand and Elayne (in Tear, for example)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: September 07, 2019, 09:39:03 AM

Later books talk about “pillow friends” in the White Tower, so homosexuality is recognized.  I don’t recall any judgment of those relationships.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: September 07, 2019, 09:42:05 AM

The last Jordan book goes places with the whole spanking thing, not in tone or judgement but in the way it lingers and describes. I missed it on my first read through, but it's certainly a thing and made me rethink earlier things.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: September 08, 2019, 01:38:05 AM

I remember him throwing in little phrases like “a pinch and a tickle” or something like that to describe all of Mat’s favorite things, and always assumed it was a euphemism for....other things.

Also, the entire story is basically about how Rand is basically nailing three hot chicks and given the right circumstances they’d probably all go along for a bit of four-way action.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: September 08, 2019, 09:02:37 AM

Like a lot of the "high fantasy" genre of the 80s to early 90s, the sexual stuff is always implied through innuendo. It wasn't until Game of Thrones that you really had a hugely popular series in the genre that was more explicit.

And, frankly, leaving things to the imagination is not necessarily a bad thing. Most fantasy authors would be writing bad letters to Penthouse if they were setting out to put graphic sex scenes on the page.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: September 08, 2019, 06:03:43 PM

I remember Anne McCaffrey's sex scenes in the Pern books being like "wow". When you re-read them now, they're like "holy shit this is kind of rapey". And that's a woman writer. If you want real hilarity of a bad kind, re-read Asimov or Clarke etc trying to hint at sex. At least Howard and other pulp writers wrote in pulp terms, in ways that still read as being sort-of sexy if very male.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: September 09, 2019, 12:10:35 AM

Most likely they will go tits fantasy as thats what worked in GOT and that's the audience they will aim for. Regardless of whats in the books.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 02:16:17 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: September 09, 2019, 12:27:33 AM

I would prefer that, because then it would probably exclude the possibility of it being an angsty teen drama that plays out more like a commercial for perfume and underwear.  And also because I really like tits.  But wait, which service is even producing this thing?

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: September 09, 2019, 09:12:48 AM

I would prefer that, because then it would probably exclude the possibility of it being an angsty teen drama that plays out more like a commercial for perfume and underwear.  And also because I really like tits.  But wait, which service is even producing this thing?

It's Amazon so if they want tits, they can make it happen. I'm still not sure if I am going to watch this.  I kind of want to but on the other hand, I have a real love/hate relationship with the books and never finished because I wanted to find Jordan and smack him for dragging things out. If the show runners do what early GoT did and cut out extra shit and consolidate characters I think it could work.

I also wonder how Ran having 3 women swooning over him will play out with a modern audience. Even back in the 90s when I was reading these books it made me roll my eyes hard as it sort of came across like the author sticking his harem fantasies in his novels.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: September 09, 2019, 02:21:35 PM

I also wonder how Ran having 3 women swooning over him will play out with a modern audience. Even back in the 90s when I was reading these books it made me roll my eyes hard as it sort of came across like the author sticking his harem fantasies in his novels.

Yeah that shit was lame even back then. Specially Elaine and Aviendha.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: September 09, 2019, 03:30:52 PM

I thought I read somewhere that they were cutting Rand's harem somehow.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: September 09, 2019, 04:17:40 PM

Please.

But it's only the beginning if they want this to be even remotely watchable. The thing with LOTR or GOT is that you wanted to see the people involved use the good stuff in the best way. LOTR Jackson did well by (let's not talk about The Hobbit) and GOT well, B&B did well until they ran out of detailed good stuff from Martin.

With this, if someone isn't in charge of cleansing this out of the copious bad shit in the original material, it's going to blow so bad. They really need to give this a colossal hair cut for it to look even remotely decent.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: September 09, 2019, 11:21:02 PM

Yes, they might "consolidate" and "unify" more characters into one.

Like I said, I haven't finished the saga, but examples that come to mind are Min (Elayne might have Min's "special ability" and discover it as we meet her), Gawyn/Galad (we'll probably only see one of them) Juilin/Bayle Domon; also, all those intricacies and variety about Aiel Clans belong to a book, not a series. Various named Aes Sedai...We'll see: Sheriam might get cut, together with others. Of course not having some characters might sound weird on paper, but that's adaptation for you, hopefully in some competent hands.

I think the Forsaken should be left alone, especially if they're not appearing that much (well, some of them at least) and they're considered as a season end boss :P.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #160 on: September 10, 2019, 05:41:03 AM

There'll be holy hell to pay if they cut the harem!   why so serious?

Though realistically I guess it could be possible to combine Min and Elayne's character together (though honestly in that case I just wish they'd replace Elayne with Min's whole character, and just say she's the princess of Andor also).  Cutting any of the three is going to piss lots of people off since all three of them were pretty major characters.

They can easily combine shit tons of Aes Sedai and other minors, so I'm not actually worried very much about character bloat.  It would be glorious if they recast the Sand Snakes actresses from GoT as Aiel Maidens.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: September 10, 2019, 07:09:04 AM

Character bloat isn't really a problem early on, it only gets there later as Jordan kept adding new factions with 100+ named members each (Aes Sedai, Seanchan, Seafolk, Aiel, Whitecloaks, etc.). If the first season or two do well, they can start figuring out who to cut/merge.

Regarding the wives, I agree that if they're cutting anyone they should keep Min and just also make her the princess; Elayne was obnoxious. Keeping Aviendha makes sense for an interesting love triangle, plus her character is far more interesting (and shows up later).

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: September 10, 2019, 07:18:08 AM

Yeah that shit was lame even back then. Specially Elaine and Aviendha.

Elayne made a certain amount of sense to me when she fell for Rand (rebellious princess falling for exotic bad boy - it's a trope after all) but Min and Aviendha really didn't.  Min's falling for him was an even worse trope than Elayne's (independent female making her own way in man's world falls for the MC) and Aviendha was just.. I don't know.  There never seemed to be a reason other than harem.  Oh, and similar reasons to Min (female warrior must fall for man and turn girly-ish).

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: September 10, 2019, 07:48:14 AM

Aviendha's arc with him I actually thought was the best.  She is independent and rebellious in her society, as you say (so follows that trope in sense).  She had promised to watch over him to Elayne, who she considered a good friend, and interacted with him on their travels across the waste.  She was probably attracted to him at that time, but kept off because of duty.  Then when they went through the vision gateway she saw that she was fated to be with him, which would make her an oathbreaker to Elayne, which makes her a monster in her own society.  So she gets super pissed and tries to be as big of an asshole to Rand as possible, only to have the wise ones assign her to stay with him at all times to train him on Aiel customs.  This leads to funny moments of her and him together as she is trying to be angry at him, but they keep having goof ball culture clash interactions as they travel for a long time across the waste.  Eventually does fall for him after all these.

I mean, the book might not have handled that in any real deep way in terms of writing, but I always felt it was one of the more natural and organic arcs of the courtships in the series.  Other than this and Nynaeve/Lan (and I guess Perrin's but god I hated his character by half way through) most of the relationships were super fast and forced.  A decent writer can take that scenario I laid out above and easily make it a funny and believable arc for TV over a season.

Though I guess I've only been dating foreigners over the last 8 years, so I might be a bit biased.  The comedy/cute factor of interacting with somebody of a totally different culture, watching how they react differently to things, and daily interactions with them very successfully bumps up a girls attraction to me, heh.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: September 10, 2019, 07:52:06 AM

Character bloat isn't really a problem early on, it only gets there later as Jordan kept adding new factions with 100+ named members each (Aes Sedai, Seanchan, Seafolk, Aiel, Whitecloaks, etc.). If the first season or two do well, they can start figuring out who to cut/merge.

Regarding the wives, I agree that if they're cutting anyone they should keep Min and just also make her the princess; Elayne was obnoxious. Keeping Aviendha makes sense for an interesting love triangle, plus her character is far more interesting (and shows up later).

That's where I fall. Min was really the only one I even liked that much. I liked her from the moment she was introduced and that never changed. Though Jordan may have made her into a braid pulling annoyance in the last few books after I gave up. Who knows.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: September 10, 2019, 07:58:52 AM

Min always has short hair so no braid pulling.  why so serious?

If the three, Elayne has by far the least depth. But it is not like many of the characters really have much depth to them anyway.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: September 10, 2019, 09:59:50 PM

Or they could keep the characters and not have them have a Buffy attraction to the most perfect guy in existance.

Nah.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: September 11, 2019, 06:49:23 AM

Elayne's whole character is "Princess in love with Rand." They could more easily cut her than make her not be in love with him. They could leave Min or Aviendha in without the romance angle, but it's a big part of both of their story. What I suspect they'll do is leave them all in, have them all in love with him, and eventually ship him with a single one (after he spends a season or two with each of them in turn). Or get cancelled before it matters.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 06:51:17 AM by Rendakor »

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: September 11, 2019, 07:16:31 AM

You can't cut rand's harem but there are a ton of secondary characters scenes and chapters/books you can cut.

Shit you can cut out faille easily. The whole of the seanchan can be cut except for some in the distance news and battles. Rand can fight in the clouds so.ewhere else.

Anyway, first 3-5 books don't need to be trimmed too badly and that gives you three seasons probably. Then if the show is actually good just skip all the other books except a few chapters and skip to sandersons stuff.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: September 11, 2019, 07:48:50 AM

Which is basically what I said earlier.  With some decent adaptation work, you can make a fun series for 4-5 seasons out of the first 6 books.  If you just cut out the vast majority of everything that came between book 6 and Sanderson, you could do the whole thing in 7-8 seasons with an actual good plot.  But again, this depends deeply on how good the writers are at adapting and picking the best moments to carve out of shit into a coherent narrative.

-Stephen Colbert
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #170 on: September 12, 2019, 02:00:02 AM

Eye of the World through Lord of Chaos is by and large its own story arc so you could theoretically use books 1 -6 as the basis for the whole series. With clever editing and transplanting the meaningfiul stuff from 7 - end in there it would be a goof basis. SO I tend to agree.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: September 12, 2019, 09:25:59 AM

Looks like they're almost ready  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: September 12, 2019, 09:40:16 AM

Seeing them together like that in color, I can totally see Two Rivers as ethnically darker skinned in general and Rand standing out like a sore thumb.  I'm guessing the blond is Moraine?  She and Lan's actor look older enough that it could work.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: September 12, 2019, 10:22:09 AM

While Rand is supposed to stand out (so good job there), I think this is them very obviously taking a hard line making fantasy genre stuff open to actors of all races instead of the western European medieval theme its based off (again, pretty sure nobody reading those books originally envisioned Nynaeve as African or Egwene as Australian Aboriginal in appearance).  Which is great, and actually makes total sense within lore, as WoT is a post apocalyptic tale of humanity scattered and degraded across the planet.  I expect they wont adhear much to any of the racial descriptions of the various nations in the book.

-Stephen Colbert
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: September 12, 2019, 10:27:53 AM

At its heart though WoT is a formulaic coming of age book (adolescent sets out on adventure and becomes an adult) where GoT was not, unfortunately it is less of a stretch to angsty teen twilight ripoff than it is to adult melodrama with tits.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread  
Jump to: