Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:16:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Notre Dame Burns 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Notre Dame Burns  (Read 21639 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 18, 2019, 08:20:21 AM

I don't think it would be a bad thing if they add some 21st Century touches. The spire was a romantic 19th Century addition to it the last time it had to be renovated. It depends a little on what they add, of course.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #36 on: April 18, 2019, 09:11:53 AM

A twisty water slide from the top of the new spire right down into a big pool of holy water!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 18, 2019, 09:50:35 AM

I'd convert.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38 on: April 18, 2019, 12:07:28 PM

EXTREME BAPTISM

STARRING

JOHN "THE BAPTIST" CENA
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 18, 2019, 08:27:01 PM

You might laugh but the Greek Orthodox do some extreme baptism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC3GBmbP6As

Hic sunt dracones.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #40 on: April 23, 2019, 08:24:57 AM

Visited the new Frauenkirche. Along with everything else in central Europe, I advise not being TOO upset at a rebuild. It's going to happen.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 29, 2019, 02:40:18 AM

The cynic in me wonders if humans are still capable of restoring things in the 21st century in a way that actually measures up to historical standards.  As has already been said, most buildings of this age have already been restored, probably numerous times, but those restores are happening in an age where they had the artistry and devotion to quality that I wonder if we still possess as a species.  In an age of Ikea and Pimp My House, do we still have the capacity to do great things like that?  We probably do, a billion dollars can get a lot done....but I can't stop my mind from going there.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:15:41 AM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 29, 2019, 04:50:03 AM

France actually has a pretty large population of traditional artisans (one of the upsides of having a society where labor still has some power). The skills exist, there just are not as many people with them. The bigger issue will be people expecting this kind of work to happen quickly.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #43 on: April 29, 2019, 07:33:06 AM

There are enough thousand year-old buildings in Europe that need pretty much constant maintenance that there are still plenty of firms who can handle sympathetic restoration projects of various scales. Notre Dame is going to be one of the bigger projects (in both scope and public visibility), but there absolutely are still enough people who can fix it up better than the 19th century hacks who patched it up for Napoleon's coronation.

When Ol' Boney was crowned there, the building had in fact already been sold to scrap merchants for demolition and salvage. It was hastily tidied up for the coronation - mostly by hanging stuff over the most egregious holes. It was Victor Hugo who rescued the cathedral, by firstly making it famous in his book, and then organising a public subscription to get it fixed up and returned to its former glory.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #44 on: April 29, 2019, 10:07:48 AM

Who is Ol'Boney?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 29, 2019, 12:01:21 PM

I think he means Napoleon Bonaparte but I’m not sure since I’ve been day-drinking and rewatching Game of Thrones? Everything’s a tad fuzzy  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 29, 2019, 01:39:59 PM

Napoleon, yeah.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #47 on: May 02, 2019, 05:59:52 AM

The cynic in me wonders if humans are still capable of restoring things in the 21st century in a way that actually measures up to historical standards.  As has already been said, most buildings of this age have already been restored, probably numerous times, but those restores are happening in an age where they had the artistry and devotion to quality that I wonder if we still possess as a species.  In an age of Ikea and Pimp My House, do we still have the capacity to do great things like that?  We probably do, a billion dollars can get a lot done....but I can't stop my mind from going there.

Answer is somewhere in the middle.  See if you can dig up pictures of Frauenkirche.  There was a lot of effort made to recreate what was there, but they also realized the value of plate glass.  I'm fine with this since I think grasping tradition should be done loosely.  Else we'd still live in shit and have shit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 02, 2019, 08:16:26 AM

Restoring old structures to strictly historical standards means restoring them to structural norms that lead to buildings collapsing or failing or to buildings that catch on fire. Fire is the fate of almost all old historical structures, really, even the ones that are mostly stone. So I'm all for modest redesigns that increase structural integrity and modern fire-safety norms.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #49 on: July 17, 2019, 06:34:49 AM

A really good interactive New York Times article

"Notre-Dame came far closer to collapsing than people knew. This is how it was saved."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/07/16/world/europe/notre-dame.html

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 17, 2019, 06:53:03 AM

Restoring old structures to strictly historical standards means restoring them to structural norms that lead to buildings collapsing or failing or to buildings that catch on fire. Fire is the fate of almost all old historical structures, really, even the ones that are mostly stone. So I'm all for modest redesigns that increase structural integrity and modern fire-safety norms.

Ya, the problem with "we have to restore it to the original state" is that quite often that includes the way the original builders cut corners.

Hic sunt dracones.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #51 on: July 17, 2019, 07:06:56 AM

When I saw this thread resurface, I thought we were going to be telling jokes about the college football team.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Notre Dame Burns  
Jump to: