Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:36:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: OMG OMG - Vampire: The Masquerade is baaaack! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OMG OMG - Vampire: The Masquerade is baaaack!  (Read 21176 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #70 on: November 09, 2021, 01:39:43 PM

Sounds in keeping with the spirit of the first game.  Super janky release, fixed by mods and fan patches.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #71 on: September 02, 2023, 02:36:24 PM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #72 on: September 02, 2023, 04:37:54 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #73 on: September 02, 2023, 05:16:24 PM

Sounds like it's being almost entirely remade.

I was initially surprised at the choice of developer⁠—The Chinese Room has thus far been known for narrative and atmosphere-heavy, gameplay-lite projects—but the more I chewed on it, the more exciting the prospect became. One of Bloodlines 1's main appeals is its dense, textured, turn-of-the-millennium LA noir⁠, and The Chinese Room has excelled at evoking a similar sense of place in its games.

Skidmore seemed to share my initial reaction: "This isn't what I was expecting the Chinese Room to be working on," he told me. "And really, it was a big reason why I joined, because these are the kinds of games I love working on." Skidmore brings some serious, crunchy RPG bona fides to the project⁠—before serving as lead designer on Gears Tactics, an XCOM-like spinoff that we loved, he spent many years at Lionhead Studios working on the Fable series.

The Chinese Room has kept Bloodlines 2's initial planned setting of Seattle, and while Greaney noted that they "have been able to reuse a significant amount of art and level design" from Hardsuit's project, Skidmore was quick to clarify that The Chinese Room is using "a new code base with different gameplay mechanics and RPG systems."

We're also getting a completely different sort of protagonist than Hardsuit Labs had planned. Bloodlines 2 was to originally star a recently-turned "thin blood" vampire. In World of Darkness rules, older is better, and the legendary bloodlines of Antediluvian vampire patriarchs have diluted over the millennia⁠—they just don't make new-gen vamps like they used to.

Bloodlines 2 will now star an "Elder" vampire awoken from an indeterminate torpor (read: long-ass vampire nap), and going off old Vampire: The Masquerade rules, you get Elder status after 300 years of undeath. Since Bloodlines 1's days, a joint Vatican-global intelligence "Second Inquisition" has hit the vampire underground hard, culling its ranks. An ancient, supremely powerful big boy vampire waking up in Seattle is a bit of an event.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #74 on: September 03, 2023, 10:07:03 AM

All sounds fine.

VtM:B was so good that I feel like I got 10x my money's worth out of it and am therefore fine spending money on even the concept of a sequel.  If an actual game emerges at some point for me to poke at, that's a bonus.  I don't think there's any way it'll live up to the original but it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #75 on: September 03, 2023, 11:16:45 AM

On the one hand sure. On the other, I'm not necessarily going to reward people for just using the name of something I liked, especially since they've ended up firing Brian Mitsoda who worked on the original game, as well other talent that they had like Chris Avellone (made sense to fire him at the time due to harassment accusations, although that ended up being a lot more complicated). There's plenty of V:tM shovelware that gets released every year, and with everything this game his been through they're really going to have to work hard to convince me that they earned any sort of right to call this Bloodlines 2.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: September 03, 2023, 05:14:51 PM

I've never quite understood the love for the original, considering how clunky the flow from place to place is--it reminds me of the first Witcher game, where progressing was a challenge just in terms of figuring out where you could actually go and what you could actually do. We're kind of past that now.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: September 03, 2023, 11:51:37 PM

Two words. Choices mattered.

In a time where other games were content of making you repeat the same loops over and over again, what you diid actually had consequences in these games. During the game, not in the closing crawl.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: September 04, 2023, 01:33:47 AM

I've never quite understood the love for the original, considering how clunky the flow from place to place is--it reminds me of the first Witcher game, where progressing was a challenge just in terms of figuring out where you could actually go and what you could actually do. We're kind of past that now.

Sure, but we weren't 20 years ago when we played this game.

Played now I'd also point out that action elements are shit and the game does a poor job if making the city feel big. But game is twenty years old.

Twenty years before that we were guessing valid commands to type into a zork text adventure. Shit moves on. Doesn't mean the ideas in the old stuff aren't worth following up on.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 04, 2023, 05:07:37 AM

True enough. I played it obsessively, so I suppose that's why I remember how annoying it was to figure out how to go anywhere, but also yeah, choices mattered, something that even now not that many games do well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: OMG OMG - Vampire: The Masquerade is baaaack!  
Jump to: