Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 20, 2019, 11:37:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2019 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2019  (Read 108 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: March 13, 2019, 12:19:10 PM

Here we go again... only this time maybe you assholes will not be overlooking the Browns this year.  why so serious?

But seriously... Free agency starts today and deals have already been penned. Notes from my book:

AB goes to the Raiders
Rosen is probably going to the Giants (with the way NYG is going)
Suggs returns to the state of AZ
L'Bell goes to the Jets
...and we still have the draft to go...

but the Browns actually have the must watch team given everything that has happened.  Mayfield now has a WR core with OBJ, Landry, Njoku, Calloway, Higgins and a bonkers RB situation with Chubb and later, Hunt?? that should make that offense rival KC and NO and LAR. And that defense with Garrett, Harrison, Vernon, Richardson, Ogbah, Ward? Another CB and LB and that side is stacked. Not to mention the AFC north is in shambles.

The beacons are lit!!

Until OBJ blows out an achilles, Njoku goes down with an ACL, Mayfield gets concussed, Garrett goes down with a hip, and Richardson just doesn't show up.  swamp poop

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you and other troops you control.

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 01:16:14 PM

It's the Browns, so everything has to be taken with a huge "but it's the Browns..." That said, the team they've put together looks really fucking good. And with the Steelers imploding because they want their grey-dicked rapist QB to feel loved until he fucks off into retirement, and the Bengals being the Bengals, and the Ravens losing their names on defense and a running project QB in his first full-year as a starter, I can't see how they won't win that division (except they're the Browns).

Meanwhile, the Packers have actually signed three good defensive free agents for not a lot of money.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 02:04:44 PM

Remember when everybody knew taking Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold with high draft picks was stupid except for the people drafting the NFL? Oh and toss in Josh Allen while we're at it. He sucks.

Meanwhile Baker Mayfield is poised to actually have a shitload of talent around him, and he was already 11th in the NFL in Y/A with a collection of scrubs from 2018.

CPA, Sports blogger, Mount and Blade enthusiast
Braves by the Numbers, my sports blog
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 02:09:41 PM

One of those scrubs was Jarvis Landry, who is one of the best slot/possession receivers in the game. He wasn't throwing to trash wideouts, though none are the caliber of Beckham. Now Rosen, that motherfucker was throwing to absolute hot garbage and the somehow still functioning body of Larry Fitzgerald while being protected by turnstiles.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 02:18:15 PM

One of those scrubs was Jarvis Landry, who is one of the best slot/possession receivers in the game. He wasn't throwing to trash wideouts, though none are the caliber of Beckham. Now Rosen, that motherfucker was throwing to absolute hot garbage and the somehow still functioning body of Larry Fitzgerald while being protected by turnstiles.

I forgot about Jarvis because I still think of him as a Dolphin.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 02:25:54 PM

It's the Browns, so everything has to be taken with a huge "but it's the Browns..." That said, the team they've put together looks really fucking good. And with the Steelers imploding because they want their grey-dicked rapist QB to feel loved until he fucks off into retirement, and the Bengals being the Bengals, and the Ravens losing their names on defense and a running project QB in his first full-year as a starter, I can't see how they won't win that division (except they're the Browns).

Meanwhile, the Packers have actually signed three good defensive free agents for not a lot of money.

I am kinda shocked the Ravens got gutted on the defensive side of the ball. Post-Ozzie drafting will be one to watch. I expect them to draft any and all Bama players that fall to them. Steelers will probably still be a 10 win team given Conner put up similar numbers to Bell and JuJu was as capable as the disgruntled AB. That said, their secondary is ass so I look forward to them getting shredded.

Really thought the Pack would be players for a big name receiver free agent this year. Quite curious about their draft.

Watching all the talking heads who are NYG fans struggle with the OBJ trade is priceless and strange since I'm not used to the Browns being on the national stage in the drama factory.

EDIT: annnnd Earl Thomas goes to the Ravens. Hope it'll be enough. Oddly enough, there were rumors Dorsey was looking to try and sign him as well.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:27:53 PM by 01101010 »

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 03:32:04 PM

I would be floored if the Packers spent money on a big-name receiver. That just doesn't seem to be in their DNA.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 03:38:53 PM

I would be floored if the Packers spent money on a big-name receiver. That just doesn't seem to be in their DNA.

They seem to have changed tactics lately and realized the old way to doing business was going exactly nowhere since the 2014 season. Which is good, because man. Watching Aaron Rodgers dodge bullets ain't fun after a while.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 06:32:09 AM

Mayfield may be as good as advertised, but passing final judgement before he makes it through year two is a lesson I thought everybody had learned by now.  This happens a looooooooooot with young quarterbacks.  I am pulling for him, but we'll see.  And the same for the Browns in general.  No, they aren't going to suddenly be a top offense, that's insane.  I will happily eat a pile of crow if proven otherwise.

Fake Edit:  All that said, I think this is easily the most promising Browns team since the re-incarnation.

Never, ever assume someone that short and fat has their shit together. - Schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 08:35:58 AM

Mayfield isn't the second coming, but he had a better Y/A in his first full year than Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and he was on par with guys like Cam Netwon and Matt Ryan coming out of the shoot with impressive numbers.

I place very little value in Year 2 numbers because most guys face adjustments. Yet, in Year 3, that's where the rubber always meets the road.

Drew Brees is probably the biggest example of that Year 3 clicking rule.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 08:55:27 AM

Yeah, it works both ways.  A Sophomore slump is just as inconclusive.  Dak Prescott is perhaps a good example of someone who the book is still out on.  Really good rookiee year, falls back in his second season.  Or it started that way, I believe, haven't followed his stats, but I think he came on again at the end of the year.

Third year is where you can begin to conclude.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 09:05:24 AM

The jury isn't out on Dak at all in my book. He's the quarterback, and will stay the quarterback because Dallas would be foolish to chase a better option than a guy who completed 68%, 7.4 Y/A, 240+ a game in the air, and had a Td/INT of 22/8.

The "problem" with Dak last year was the 56 motherfucking sacks. Like seriously, who else took that many sacks? (I looked it up, only Deshaun Watson at 62, yeesh) He was holding the ball forever because nobody was getting open, they had no TE, and very few safety valve options until they signed Amari Cooper to go alongside Beasley.

Dak's Passer rating before Amari was 88.6, and post-trade it was 102.5. That's a pretty insane jump mid-season by simply giving him a target. Now that Witten is back as the safety net, I fully expect Dak to have a stellar year.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 09:16:01 AM

I wasn't in any way suggesting that he wasn't the guy in Dallas....but after his rookiee season, the superlatives were such that he may as well have been the second coming of Jesus.  He is good, no doubt.  I just don't know yet if he will be great.  Nor does he really need to be, perhaps.

Anyway, I think you get the point. 

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 09:18:56 AM

Dak Prescott is a good example of why I think Mayfield will not go through too much of a sophomore slump. Dak's numbers fell off in his second season because he didn't have Elliot to rely on for much of the season, their O line was injured and Dez Bryant's best days as a #1 receiver were behind him. His numbers this season before they got Cooper were also abysmal because holy shit, he had NO ONE to throw to. No Jason Witten, who has always been a QB's best safety valve when pressured, and Cole Beasley (a decent possession receiver) was the best target he had on the field. Give him a guy like Cooper (who I think compares favorably to Bryant when Bryant was good) and suddenly they were a playoff team. Mayfield now has two of the top wideouts in the game - his #1 is Brown who can blow the tops of most defenses by himself even when double-covered and #2 is Landry, the best slot/possession receiver in the game besides Edelman (or Welker in his heyday). He also has a good young RB in Chubb who may not be Saquon Barkley but once he started getting regular carries, showed he was worth the high pick. His O line isn't half bad and his defense is going to keep them in games.

All of those predictions could be wrong, but I really think barring some serious injuries on the O line, Mayfield won't struggle nearly as bad as Prescott did in his second season. If he does, then yeah, he will have definitely been overrated because if you can't succeed with those weapons, you got few excuses to fall back on.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 10:28:19 AM

Since the Mayfield debut, I'm a fan. If the old lady wasn't staunch about watching the Pats games, we'd be watching the Browns.

Lots of talent on the field. I'm hoping Mayfield's attitude and raw talent mesh well with ODB, but as you say, he's already stacked with folks to catch it. I run my Madden Browns with a big blocking FB for Chubb and also added a power HB to get beat up on short runs against heavy packages. Running either with the blocking FB lead behind Bitonio is just a grinder (the rest of the O line could use a bit of work, maybe teh weakest part of the team, which needs to be addressed). I also added a good hands/agility HB (I had Sony Michel for a while, my new guy is CPU gen) that I can use for toss plays/screens and even a WR though I rarely need an extra (he's in for 5WR sets, mostly).

And the D is crazy, too. Schobert and Kirksey shut down the middle, and Garrett/Ogbah/Ogunjobi are dominant.

Most of my experience with the team is 6 seasons on Madden, but damn, they good.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2019  
Jump to: