Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:28:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Studying in the US / General Location Advice 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Studying in the US / General Location Advice  (Read 19114 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #35 on: February 26, 2019, 01:37:12 PM

I've narrowed it down to Chicago, Austin, Barcelona, Madrid and Shanghai. Not sure I can justify UT still, but all the love here has got in my head...

Who knows where it will all end up.

Anyone want to talk me out of Shanghai before I commit to that? I have no firsthand experience of China.

Let's recap what you're choosing between:

Chicago - The best Biz school on your American list with the worst winter, and a metro area of approximately 9.5M people
Austin - The funky town with great culture, a good business school, and a metro are of approximately 2M
Barcelona - If you're talking about ESADE potentially one of the top ten business schools in the World, awesome cultural and tourist action, and a metro area of about 5M
Madrid - If you're talking about Empresa also on par with ESADE, I don't particularly care for the culture as much as Barcelona although you might, and a metro area of about 6.5M

And then for some reason Shanghai - 60th ranked in the world in terms of school not even in the same league as the others, it's wildly different culturally than everything else you listed, and it's one of the most crowded cities in the world with 24M people.

One of these things is NOT like the others, friend.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 26, 2019, 03:03:57 PM

I've narrowed it down to Chicago, Austin, Barcelona, Madrid and Shanghai. Not sure I can justify UT still, but all the love here has got in my head...

Who knows where it will all end up.

Anyone want to talk me out of Shanghai before I commit to that? I have no firsthand experience of China.

Let's recap what you're choosing between:

Chicago - The best Biz school on your American list with the worst winter, and a metro area of approximately 9.5M people
Austin - The funky town with great culture, a good business school, and a metro are of approximately 2M
Barcelona - If you're talking about ESADE potentially one of the top ten business schools in the World, awesome cultural and tourist action, and a metro area of about 5M
Madrid - If you're talking about Empresa also on par with ESADE, I don't particularly care for the culture as much as Barcelona although you might, and a metro area of about 6.5M

And then for some reason Shanghai - 60th ranked in the world in terms of school not even in the same league as the others, it's wildly different culturally than everything else you listed, and it's one of the most crowded cities in the world with 24M people.

One of these things is NOT like the others, friend.

CEIBS is ranked 5th in the FT list in 2019 for MBA programs? http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/ceibs

I'm ambivalent on it at the moment. We do a bit of business with China and Asia generally (food manufacturing, and we don't export to US or Europe) and they are important growth markets for us, so it would be good to have some sort of firsthand experience and hopefully, given the schools reputation, some quality teaching and connections.

But also eh, China. So yeah.

TBH ESADE is top of the list and I have great marks and etc so I am fairly hopeful I'll just get to go there.. or at least one of my top 3 options, but have to round out the application list.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 03:07:34 PM by lamaros »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #37 on: February 27, 2019, 12:36:37 PM

Didn't know CEIBS, I thought you were talking about University of Shanghai.

Either way I agree with you on Barcelona it sounds like a phenomenal education and experience.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38 on: February 27, 2019, 01:09:46 PM

CEIBS is ranked 5th in the FT list in 2019 for MBA programs? http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/ceibs

I'm ambivalent on it at the moment. We do a bit of business with China and Asia generally (food manufacturing, and we don't export to US or Europe) and they are important growth markets for us, so it would be good to have some sort of firsthand experience and hopefully, given the schools reputation, some quality teaching and connections.

But also eh, China. So yeah.
Not a great location, though. Most of the fun stuff is a half hour or more on the other side of the river to the west.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 27, 2019, 04:04:43 PM

Not a great location, though. Most of the fun stuff is a half hour or more on the other side of the river to the west.

Ah cheers. I think I might just leave it off.

Either way I agree with you on Barcelona it sounds like a phenomenal education and experience.

Aye, here's hoping.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Studying in the US / General Location Advice  
Jump to: