Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Hellboy Reboot 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hellboy Reboot  (Read 5850 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: December 20, 2018, 04:45:01 AM

I don't know why this needed a reboot, but anyways, we're diving back into cosmic horror with Billy Idol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYz-EsjXrtQ&t=0s

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 07:07:22 AM

I don't know if it was the song or the overall tone of this thing, but it felt way too silly for me. Maybe the later trailers will improve on it but so far, I was not impressed.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 11:32:03 AM

What bugs me is that the producers and director have been all over fan sites for the last six months talking about how much more horror-laden and less superheroic this version is, how they're not going to be all light-hearted and comic-book like, and how this is more faithful to Mignola's original vision. (They've even enlisted Mignola to endorse that.)

And here comes the trailer, and it's being sold as a comedy and definitely as a super-hero flick.  It feels like Deadpool probably has a cameo or something. With a fucking awful soundtrack. This is one of the biggest trailer fails I've seen--it takes a film I might have wanted to see and makes it a film I have no interest in seeing.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 12:01:42 PM

Reboots suck.

Unless they're called Dredd 3D.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 12:14:58 PM

I'm going to hope that's just a really fucked up trailer. I like everyone involved, but goddamn. Might as well have picked Tiptoe Thru the Tulips and a cameo from John Goodman. Fuck.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 02:45:45 PM

Also I can't help but notice they've cast Milla Jovovich as the main villain, which seems... unwise if you intend your work to be taken seriously.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 07:03:09 PM

I watched it with the sound off earlier and it looked ok. I now watched it with the sound on. Ya, the whole package looks extremely shitty. Everyone is trying to be Josh Whedon these days.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 08:31:52 PM

Welp, that looks god awful.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 10:58:07 PM

It's not like Ron Perlman couldn't still wear the make-up, why the fuck would you recast him while he still has any breath left in his body?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 12:42:31 AM

That is dire but remember that trailers are usually outsourced to third parties and don't necessarily reflect the tone of the actual film. Seems like they were trying to go the Suicide Squad route.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 01:17:30 AM

It's not like Ron Perlman couldn't still wear the make-up, why the fuck would you recast him while he still has any breath left in his body?

I think I read somewhere he wont do it again. He hated the makeup. I agree that he was great but if he is saying no then its no. Anyway, I think the new guy looks ok in the role, he really isn't the problem.

Perlman did put on the makeup one more time for a kid who wanted to meet Helboy, for the Make a wish foundation.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ron-perlman-make-wish-hellboy-346196

Hic sunt dracones.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 05:52:58 AM

Yeah that looks terrible.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 07:09:28 AM

David Harbour as Hellboy isn't the problem with that trailer - I'm sure I'd get used to his voice within minutes.

Everything else just looks very terrible and cheesy.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 04:00:40 PM

It just looks tonally like--in the BEST case scenario--a repeat of the first film. (Hellboy 2 is a very Del Toro thing; I don't think anyone could redo it faithfully.)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 09:32:55 AM

I'll watch it.  On TV.  Stoned.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 09:20:37 PM

So. Your typical tv schedule?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 12:10:53 AM

Red Band trailer, NSFW, blah blah blah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsBO4b3tyZg
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 12:15:41 AM

Looks marginally better than the first trailer, but most of that CGI isn't doing it for me (and there's a lot of it).
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 04:44:52 AM

Kind of better. But the dialogue is the literal bad-guy cheese: we're the same you and I, why do you fight for people who hate you, etc.

Which the bad guys in Mignola's comic simply do not say: they're not here to do banter, and they're not here to do simple super-villain shit. That's what makes Hellboy himself so fun: he's a genuinely scary demon (who eventually does have something to do with the literal apocalypse actually happening) who is basically grumpy and gruff and lightly humorous even as he is also still sort of scary while he faces supernatural creatures that are often genuinely horrifying.

And again, so many extravagant early promotional assurances that the difference with this one is that it's more like the comics. Not if the bad guy is constantly mouthing shit that a C-level Batman villain says, it's not.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 09:00:42 AM

This trailer was MUCH better than the first except, again, the music is just badly chosen. Smoke on the Water is recognizable the minute you hear it and it doesn't fit with anything on the screen, especially not this shitty version of it. It reeks to me of a team that doesn't really get the material they are trying to sell.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 04:32:35 PM

get serious flop vibes. movie trailers aren't even good x2. then you have to wonder if anyone really /wanted/ a hellboy reboot. its not fresh or interesting material and it certainly isn't some kind of amazing new take on what we had last time. nor is the source material so beloved that people can't stay away. never going to a theater for this unless the word of mouth is amazing.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 07:19:12 PM

Yeah, I'm getting the same vibes. I always do when the directors/producers talk a particular line about what they're doing and then the trailers go a completely different direction in a way that feels...trailer-ish, like a 'take' on the property dictated by a marketing team.

This feels like a marketing deal that has a movie being made as a secondary concern. It feels like Suicide Squad all over again--folks who don't really understand what they're adapting and are trying to find a trailer hook that will create buzz. The usual sites feel like they've been paid off to make buzz.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Hellboy Reboot  
Jump to: