Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:54:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 131384 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #910 on: April 20, 2023, 10:33:48 PM

The jet packs are just full rockets now, right?  Like, they can take a guy all the way into low orbit or do extended flights over long distances?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #911 on: April 20, 2023, 11:39:15 PM

At some point I expect they just get a hyperdrive upgrade and then who needs ships?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #912 on: April 21, 2023, 03:08:47 AM

The power creep of "Dark Troopers in Beskar Armor" really didn't help dispel that video game writing vibe.

Especially since it seemed inconsistent from scene to scene how hard they were to take down.

The fact that Mando updated his equipment with dropped loot after every stage of the "Shields Down" fight didn't help, either.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #913 on: April 21, 2023, 04:08:52 AM

Especially since they were such 1:1 knockoffs that Mando could just slot in the jetpack.

It felt like Filoni got distracted, then came back and just wanted to make the mess go away.

--Dave

I am pretty sure that is a big reason for the drop in quality this season. He's off doing Ahsoka and it shows.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #914 on: April 21, 2023, 12:30:20 PM

It really felt like nobody really gave a shit about this storyline but it had to be done to get it out of the way or something.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #915 on: April 21, 2023, 01:25:09 PM

Like I said, I'm still not sure what the story was even supposed to be. It seemed like the better payoff for the Mandalorians would have been after Carl Weathers gave them a place of their own on his planet and he got protection in return, but then they ditch that potential new status quo the next episode to take over a mostly dead planet. They could have looked forward and forged a new path on a new planet, but instead more of them ended up sacrificing themselves including a guy who had a young kid because they want to live in some unsafe ruins of their former glory.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #916 on: April 21, 2023, 03:51:37 PM

I'm not even sure how the logistics of resettling a world that can barely sustain life works. How do they even get enough food to eat without importing it? How do they protect the planet when they can't even communicate from the planet's surface to orbit? Other than symbolic value, what's the purpose of lighting the Great Forge before you have agriculture? And what's to stop the remnants of the Imperium from just coming in with Star Destroyers and finishing the job?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #917 on: April 21, 2023, 04:05:28 PM

There's like 20 of them, they ain't resettling shit.

I am the .00000001428%
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #918 on: April 21, 2023, 10:57:20 PM

I'm not even sure how the logistics of resettling a world that can barely sustain life works. How do they even get enough food to eat without importing it? How do they protect the planet when they can't even communicate from the planet's surface to orbit? Other than symbolic value, what's the purpose of lighting the Great Forge before you have agriculture? And what's to stop the remnants of the Imperium from just coming in with Star Destroyers and finishing the job?

Not disagreeing with you on any of your points, but it was heavily implied that the not communicating thing was a function of the Imperial starbase (after all Moff Gideon could communicate just fine) which may be a nonfactor after destroying the base.

But yes, its purely symbolic, after all they showed us time after time how into symbols the Mandalorians are. And its not like the other places they hid out on were any better.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 10:59:02 PM by Tebonas »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #919 on: April 22, 2023, 12:06:57 AM

Fuckers that had been stuck on that planet scraped together to get one workable vehicle going even, and that shit got demolished the first day the other Mandalorians arrive on the planet.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #920 on: April 22, 2023, 01:42:00 AM

Not disagreeing with you on any of your points, but it was heavily implied that the not communicating thing was a function of the Imperial starbase (after all Moff Gideon could communicate just fine) which may be a nonfactor after destroying the base.

But yes, its purely symbolic, after all they showed us time after time how into symbols the Mandalorians are. And its not like the other places they hid out on were any better.

I thought the not communicating thing had something to do with the thick clouds and was a remnant of the Empire's bombing or something. Anyway, I agree that it seems weird for them to do this and lose yet more people for...very little gain. I hope that Moff Gideon's comments in the finale are a hint that the Mandalorians are going to learn they have to let some of this shit go if they want to survive as a people but I doubt the writers intended it or will follow up on it. Best case, we go back to Lone Wolf and Cub and Mando occasionally gets called to help the others out with something.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #921 on: April 22, 2023, 06:14:55 AM

There were underground farms. They specifically mentioned this. Is it enough to resettle the whole planet? Probably not if you’re supporting millions but right now, it didn’t look like there were that many.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #922 on: April 22, 2023, 10:59:28 AM

No, I saw the underground farms. It was kind of a throwaway "oh this is how the sailors survived for so long" thing, and unless they are going to be eating giant monster meat, I still don't see it being enough for a resettlement. Like I said, these are nitpicky things but they add up to making it have more of a vibe of bad video game writing or children's cartoon than what I'm used to seeing from season 1.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #923 on: April 26, 2023, 02:03:00 PM

I mean, Star Wars, is just silliness all-around.
https://marshallbrain.com/star-wars

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian  
Jump to: