Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse  (Read 14596 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: October 02, 2018, 04:32:50 PM

This looks like the Spider-Man equivalent of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm in terms of being good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg52up16eq0
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 01:46:43 PM

Got around to watching the trailer and well, that actually looks pretty good.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 10:40:06 PM

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 11:55:15 PM

Shockingly the reviews are right. This is in fact the best Spider-man movie that's been made so far, and up there with the top-tier Marvel movies. It's got the balance of humor and heart that the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and Thor: Ragnarok have and it was clearly made by people who understand and love the character in all his/her iterations. Plus it's good all ages stuff as well.

I was a little concerned about the art style going into it, but it works really well and there's some stuff over the first part of the end credit's that's mind-blowingly good. I think a lot of folks here will find it completely worth watching.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 07:51:17 PM

Best Spider-Man movie ever, definitely. Maybe the best comic-book movie ever. The visual work is mind-bogglingly smart and good--it's both cinematic AND invokes the storytelling style of comics in some really thorough, unique ways. Plus great character work, a smart story that even people who haven't read comics can follow. Just a great love poem to Spider-Man specifically but comics generally.

P.S. stay to the very end--the first post-credits scene is moving; the last is hilarious.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 09:52:21 PM

I loved this, as good as anything Marvel has done.  Looks beautiful too.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 12:56:46 PM

Well worth the money, I took my 10yo daughter and 8yo step daughter to this and we all walked out happy. It worked on so many levels.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 09:25:17 PM

This was so very good.

The douchebags behind me bitching about the mid credit sequence, not so much.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 07:08:05 PM

This was excellent.  Not only is it clear that the people behind it love Spider-Man, but comic books in general.  It's not uncommon to watch comic book adaptations and feel like the film makers are ignoring, if not running away from, their source material.  But that's not the case with this movie at all and it improves every aspect of the film.

This is also getting a sequel and a spin-off so we're in for more.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 09:21:24 AM

Yeah, this was pretty great, start to finish.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 09:38:35 AM

The Positives
This movie was perfect
The Negatives
This movie is perfect. Makes me wonder why it wasn't made sooner

Oh and this movie officially fixes miles morales. Will comic books take note? No because he is too busy being a b-character in a ms.marvel-khan book. But whoever wrote this movie basically rubbed their nutsack all over the last 10 years of comic book writing for miles.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 07:28:35 PM

Though hilariously Bendis is on Miles' frequent caller list early in the movie.

It's really pretty much almost the best comic-book movie ever.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 01:03:37 PM

Instant top-tier superhero movie.  The final post-credits scene was hilarious.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 03:37:21 PM

This movie was good, and really well made.

Not being a comics fan myself I think I missed a lot of what makes it great for some of you, though.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 07:04:37 PM

I can't think of a single complaint to give about this movie. Not even a minor nitpick.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 02:31:27 AM

I can only think of one, but as usual it's the story ;  I think the plot suffered very much from 'Oh Noes, We've Got In The Way Of Ourselves on the Way to this Easy Solution'.  Also, Kirk Spiderman went out like a Bitch.

(But these are as minor nitpicks as you can possibly get.  Also, see Bumblebee right after this movie.  Or before.)

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 12:25:47 PM

My minor nitpick was I saw it in 3d. Which is great for most of the movie, but the shots of the city when the collider was going off were fucking near seizure inducing. Lots of flashing and graphic effects that were apparently amplified by the 3d part. Lots of folks who saw it in 2d said it wasn't bad at all. So yeah. Pretty minor.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 05:24:34 PM

Any chance anyone knows who did the awesome "the choice is yours" mashup that played during the graffiti scene? the official soundtrack just has the original song.

I am the .00000001428%
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 08:31:13 AM

Just saw this yesterday with my niece and nephew. It was absolutely fantastic, the animation style was fabulous. As noted early, it really made Miles work as a character.

My six year old niece was very enthralled with Spider-Gwen, although found Kingpin "Scary". :)

Pretty much every take on every character was fantastic, including the villains. I loved how they varied everyone's animation style yet made it fit together seamlessly -- like say the way they handled Kingpin versus Green Goblin.

The Liv character was very, very well done. :)
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 09:10:20 AM

As someone not familiar with the Miles Morales universe, I was legitimately surprised by the  and she became one of my favorite characters after that point.   The character design and aesthetic by itself made me love her.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 10:04:19 AM

I didn't follow the Ultimate Universe that closely, but I don't think she's actually a previously introduced version of Doctor Octopus--I think she was created entirely for the movie. There was a female Doctor Octopus in the comics for a little while, during one of those periods where Doctor Octopus was "dead" (but I don't think his more recent "death" that led to him being Spider-Man for a while) but I don't think she's the template for the movie one. The movie character was in fact great--I also really liked her look and role in the story.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 10:47:37 AM

Yup.  Also, Spoilers.   why so serious?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 04:05:52 PM

Not saying WHICH character she is, after all. :)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 01:21:13 AM

True, but what I will say is that I am rarely surprised at any movie anymore and that was one I didn't see coming, so I was like 'Hmm, cool'.  Meanwhile, wife and daughter on either side were like 'HOLY FUCKBALLS, WHAT THE SHIT'.

So it IS kind of a moment.  Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention earlier. I am old.  why so serious?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 05:54:30 AM

It surprised the hell out of me, and I know comic books backwards and forwards.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 05:57:26 PM

It surprised the hell out of me, and I know comic books backwards and forwards.

The did a real good job of keeping that quiet, and so did most people who watched the movie.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 11:08:11 AM

Just won Best Animated Film at the Oscars, the first time Disney has lost in the category since 2006*

*when Rango won in 2011 Disney didn't have one nominated
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 11:29:46 AM

Just won Best Animated Film at the Oscars, the first time Disney has lost in the category since 2006*

*when Rango won in 2011 Disney didn't have one nominated

disney owns marvel tho

the hmouse always wins
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 03:43:17 PM

They don't own spider-man yet though, right?

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 04:29:16 PM

Nope, though Marvel was involved with the production.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 05:20:07 PM

They don't own spider-man yet though, right?

They own Spider-man, the character is just licensed to Sony for movies (and video games I guess). Obviously I'm sure we all understood this already, but point being that it is in a lot of ways still at least a partial win for Disney. And while I love the MCU stuff this is absolutely the kind of movie that wouldn't have been made under Disney/Marvel under their current business model (much like they wouldn't have made Logan or Deadpool). It's a good example of why I'm not anxious for all the properties to end up back with Disney.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #31 on: April 01, 2019, 05:41:38 PM

This just came up in On Demand here, and I have to say you are all correct, possibly the best comic book movie to date. It was well enough crafted that I was actually enjoying the "pre spiderman" story of Miles to the point that I was kinda disappointed when it had to end to get on to the "real" story. Loved all the drastic shifts in style. They managed to make a trans-dimensional story make sense and easy to follow, and they actually made Peter Porker work within the whole thing. Hoping to see a sequel.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #32 on: April 01, 2019, 10:22:55 PM

A sequel and a spin-off for Spider-Gwen are happening.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 05, 2019, 10:22:15 PM

My daughter—who is 15 and of course hates everything just because—sat and watched through this a second time tonight.  Swearing she didn’t like it but she didn’t budge during the whole thing, and I watched her giggling thru the whole show.  Not that she would ever admit it.

Particularly Spider-Ham, she loves John Mulaney. (She does admit that—barely)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 05:12:24 AM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 06, 2019, 03:21:31 PM

This got an early release, so we bought it and watched it again.

Goddamn.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse  
Jump to: