Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:36:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Kursk (2018) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kursk (2018)  (Read 6921 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

on: September 24, 2018, 04:02:16 PM

Kursk (Trailer)

Kursk is an English-language French-Belgian drama film directed by Thomas Vinterberg based on Robert Moore’s book A Time to Die, about the true story of the 2000 Kursk submarine disaster. It stars Matthias Schoenaerts, Colin Firth, Léa Seydoux, Peter Simonischek, Max von Sydow, Matthias Schweighöfer and Michael Nyqvist.

Looks very good.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 06:00:15 PM

My interest is aroused... Having read about this event.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:08:44 PM

Max von Sydow? Dude's gotta be nearly 90 now.

Anyway Jurgen Prochnow is my submarine captain.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 05:50:29 AM

Pfft and here I was getting excited for a good tank movie... Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 06:33:59 AM

Pfft and here I was getting excited for a good tank movie... Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Had the same thought.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 06:38:01 PM

Had the same thought.

Me three.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 09:17:25 PM

I don't think there's anything particularly narratively interesting about the Battle of Kursk. A few awesome special effects scenes, but what's the story you tell? This has more potential to be a good movie, as opposed to a good History Channel documentary.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 09:52:53 PM

I don't think there's anything particularly narratively interesting about the Battle of Kursk. A few awesome special effects scenes, but what's the story you tell? This has more potential to be a good movie, as opposed to a good History Channel documentary.
Not to derail things here, but do any war movies ever try to tell the actual story of a battle?  The story is always made up about the soldiers interactions with each other and character drama, with the actual battle just something happening in the background.  That Gettysburg made for TV movie in the 90's I guess tried to keep everybody narrating the flow of the battle.  That's the only one I can think of.  An attempt to show the battle of Kursk with Fury style tank realism and a writer who knows how to write great characters and dialog would be awesome (which is why it will never happen).

Edit:  Actually, I guess 'We Were Soldiers' was based around trying to recreate that specific battle.  But still, I think the point stands.  In most War movies about a battle, the story of the battle is totally secondary.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:15:10 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 12:41:16 AM

"A bridge too Far" did a fairly good job of telling the story of a battle, I think.

Hic sunt dracones.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 06:09:48 AM

I would watch a remake of that movie done with modern day SFX etc

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 05:53:07 PM

Now to invest in a drug company testing anti-claustrophobia drugs...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 07:29:29 AM

Not to derail things here, but do any war movies ever try to tell the actual story of a battle?  The story is always made up about the soldiers interactions with each other and character drama, with the actual battle just something happening in the background.  That Gettysburg made for TV movie in the 90's I guess tried to keep everybody narrating the flow of the battle.  That's the only one I can think of.  An attempt to show the battle of Kursk with Fury style tank realism and a writer who knows how to write great characters and dialog would be awesome (which is why it will never happen).

Edit:  Actually, I guess 'We Were Soldiers' was based around trying to recreate that specific battle.  But still, I think the point stands.  In most War movies about a battle, the story of the battle is totally secondary.

A lot of older post-war movies. Longest Day, Battle of Britain, Midway, Tora Tora Tora (as mentioned, a Bridge Too Far).

Anyway, a movie about a bunch of hopeless dudes dying slowly while trapped on the ocean floor in a submarine sounds pretty depressing, even by European film standards.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 05:16:12 PM

A lot of older post-war movies. Longest Day, Battle of Britain, Midway, Tora Tora Tora (as mentioned, a Bridge Too Far).

Anyway, a movie about a bunch of hopeless dudes dying slowly while trapped on the ocean floor in a submarine sounds pretty depressing, even by European film standards.

A lot of the older war movies focused on the main players and less on the average soldier, too.  Maybe that's why you had a better perspective on the whole battle/campaign than more modern ones where the grunts on the front lines are the stars of the film, like Band of Brothers.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 03:53:15 PM

I dug A time to die out of my bookshelf.  It details the Kursk accident and the aftermath in detail and there is a lot more there than a movie can cover.  Of course for the sake of drama they will spend much time with the doomed sailors.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 10:56:52 PM

Got a chance to watch this and it's about as expected. Not bad but it doesn't really add a whole lot of insight into what happened (and I'm sure a number of details in the movie aren't entirely accurate). Acting was solid and overall I guess they did the best they could with an event that ends with nobody surviving.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 03:50:09 AM

Still no tanks right?

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 10:44:17 AM

I would like to see this movie but it's not showing up on anything in the US.  I might dust off my VPN and see if is available to stream from other countries.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 12:08:20 PM

Being a French production technically, maybe try something there. I know the blu ray releases in France in a couple days.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 01:44:20 PM

I would like to see this movie but it's not showing up on anything in the US.  I might dust off my VPN and see if is available to stream from other countries.
Being a French production technically, maybe try something there. I know the blu ray releases in France in a couple days.

I am uploading it to my Google drive overnight (1080p, 4GB, English sync). Check back here in ~12 hours.  smiley

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 09:45:14 AM

Oops, I almost forgot. Sorry!

One submarine, like new, the front fell off: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nDrLOJw_Aews_aqtr6avPRmKtq8D72P5/view?usp=drivesdk

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 08:20:34 PM

Thanks for putting that out there.   But it always stops working for me about 20 minutes in.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 11:16:59 PM

Thanks for putting that out there.   But it always stops working for me about 20 minutes in.

Hmm. I downloaded it and the file works fine. Don't know about streaming, but would not recommend that from google drive anyway.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Kursk (2018)  
Jump to: