Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:59:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2018: That's Not a Sack 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2018: That's Not a Sack  (Read 62105 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #70 on: October 22, 2018, 07:40:17 PM

Far be it from me to quell the hating on Jerrah, but what did he do this time?
He traded a 1st round pick for a receiver (Amari Cooper) who can't even play right now (in concussion protocol) awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #71 on: October 22, 2018, 09:10:55 PM

Holy shit, I saw that the Cowboys were considering that, but I really didn't think they'd actually do it. If this was 2016, I'd say it was a good deal. I had Cooper on my fantasy team last year and he has become the anti-receiver. He made Crabtree look good last year and he hasn't been much better this season. He is a drop machine.

WayAbvPar

Reply #72 on: October 23, 2018, 09:37:29 AM

He can trade for all the receivers he wants, but until his QB can actually complete passes to them, it is largely academic. In other shitty QB news, agreed wholeheartedly about Trubisky. He is wildly inaccurate- he misses 10 throws a game that even an average QB hits. I can't believe the Bears traded UP to get him. What a joke. Their offense  is bad overall- not sure why they insist on running Cohen between the tackles when Jordan Howard is so much better at it (and probably 30 pounds heavier).  Between that and Trubisky sailing balls all over creation, they are killing themselves. An average QB with that defense wins the NFC North going away.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #73 on: October 23, 2018, 09:43:32 AM

I actually don't think their offense is that bad (except for their wideouts who are broken and butt). Cohen is a game changer if you can get him the ball like a Darren Sproles type. Every run you make him do up the middle though is one less play he'll have at the end of his career, which matters not to the Bears because they'll refuse to pay him and ditch him when he's 27 or at the first hint of injury. I think Trubisky CAN be good, as even Favre was crazy wild a lot of times. Whether he will be good remains to be seen but he's certainly better than that wobbly giraffe Mike Glennon.

WayAbvPar

Reply #74 on: October 23, 2018, 10:29:04 AM

Running Cohen would make more sense if they didn't have Howard. He is criminally underused (and not just because he is on my fantasy team!).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #75 on: October 23, 2018, 10:56:07 AM

He is a drop machine.
Just like the receiver whose shoes he's trying to fill. Jerry must have a type.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #76 on: October 23, 2018, 12:48:18 PM

Not like that division is murderer's row - so picking up Cooper is not completely terrible. Giving up a 1st is, but the Eagles were rumored to have a 2nd on the table. Kid is only 24 and showed some skill. Probably blow up in Jerry's face, which I am fine with... as a Browns fan, we all float down here.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #77 on: October 23, 2018, 01:31:36 PM

Compared to what the Cowboys were trotting out there at wideout, it's a huge upgrade to get Cooper. However, just based on his last season and a half, I'd bet money it will end up not being worth the first round pick.

And based on Gruden's history, what he gets with the pick will be shit.

WayAbvPar

Reply #78 on: October 24, 2018, 12:07:19 AM

Watching Gruden fail is the cherry on this season. Although listening to Jason Witten speak like he is unfamiliar with both football and English is almost making me miss Chuckie in the booth. Add in Booger fucking McFarland and I am starting to wonder if we got swindled in this trade.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 24, 2018, 12:23:21 AM

I have never heard Witten speak, but I could tell from his playing days by just looking at his stupid face that he was a redneck idiot.  So you confirm he is an idiot, is he also a redneck?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #80 on: October 24, 2018, 05:46:21 AM

Chuckie getting steamed in the booth by a bad call was great tv. Witten and his media drone buddy are vanilla, but still better than the verbal diarrhea that is Romo.

I for one like Boog and the Boogmobile, he's not much but he's the star of that presentation.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #81 on: October 24, 2018, 08:26:37 AM

Witten is inoffensive but also really bad at making calls. Boog and the Boogmobile are annoying as a flaming hot shit. Both are completely unnecessary and the guy they got as the actual commentator tries too hard to be "cultured" and just comes off pretentious. His play-by-play is fine for all that, though. I much prefer Romo even when he goes all QB-knob-slobbering and full-on goober.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #82 on: October 29, 2018, 02:56:56 PM

Yesterday was the first Sunday this season that I actually wanted to watch more than 1 NFL game, so I GORGED myself on football yesterday.

It started with the Eagles and the Jags in London. Two things: 1) neither of these teams is as good as they should be based on their performance last season and 2) Blake Bortles is really bad at this quarterbacking thing. Now #1 is probably not that surprising, though for the Eagles it should be. They won a Super Bowl with Nick GODDAMN Foles somehow but their offensive line is balls and their injuries are probably going to keep them from going far in the playoffs. The Jags' problems are understandable - they have had significant injuries (the main one being Leonard Fournette because he literally carried their offense at times) and they decided to pay Blake Bortles instead of making a run at either Kirk Cousins or Case Keenum, or sign Colin Kaepernick, or trade for Alex Smith, any of which would have been an improvement on Blake Bortles. #2 is well known but it's funny what last year showed us. Bortles can be a competent QB but you cannot count on him to be that QB consistently, not even from quarter to quarter. Their defense being as weak as it has been though, that was the real surprise.

The Packers and Rams was a helluva lot better game than I expected. I thought the Rams would level us, but instead, the Packers defense actually showed up. In fact, we may even have what could be considered a functional defensive backfield (which I'm sure we'll blow up next year by letting Clinton-Dix go and signing some aging, mediocre corner like Orlando Scandrick or something). What's not showing up is a consistent offense, one that gets in rhythm and stays that way all game. I can only attribute that to McCarthy's playcalling which is at times baffling if for no other reason that he seems to switch successful playcalling philosophies in mid-game in some kind of "they'd never expect me to start making shitty playcalls" kind of outsmarting oneself. However, the Packers really pissed it away apparently because Ty Montgomery got pissed off at being pulled from an offensive series and ignored all his coaches telling him to take a touchback on a kickoff with 2 minutes and 1 timeout left when the Packers only needed a field goal. It's not like the Packers have a first-ballot hall of fame QB who specializes in 2 minute miracle comebacks or anything. Given how shitty Montgomery has played as a running back this year, I don't expect he'll be on the roster by the end of the week and if he is, I don't expect he'll see the field against the Pats Sunday night.

Best game of the day though was watching the Saints manhandle the Vikings, because FUCK THE VIKINGS. Besides my homerism against the Vikes, I will say that signing Cousins was a great move, Thielen and Diggs are scary good and if their defense was as good this year as it was last year, this team would be a shoe-in for the NFC Championship game. They probably still are though I'm not discounting a Rams/Saints championship either.

Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 29, 2018, 06:24:51 PM

So the Browns... in standard fashion... decided to get rid of Hue AND Haley because reasons. Nothing like getting rid of the heads of offensive coaching to do great things to your rookie QB. Getting rid of Hue I can see... guy is a terrible HC, proof is everywhere on that. But getting rid of Haley too is a little much - yeah guy is abrasive but he was doing better with the offense than anything Hue did in his first 2 years.

And add to that they put Gregg "$2k" Williams as interim HC... and well, Browns.

Ah well, in Dorsey we trust I guess.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #84 on: October 30, 2018, 01:26:32 PM

The Packers traded Ty Montgomery for a 7th rounder in 2020 - which is pretty much a "we don't give a shit what we get for you, get the fuck out" kind of trade. Good. Then they trade away Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix to Wasthington for a 4th rounder in 2019 - which to me says "We ain't winning shit and will be lucky to make the playoffs" trade. Clinton-Dix was going to be a free agent next year and given the Packers' reluctance to actually sign DB's to long-term contracts, I guess they figured they wouldn't even bother keeping him.

So, they seem real intent on pissing away Rodgers next few years.

Also, Demarius Thomas goes to Houston to take Will Fuller's place (Fuller tore an ACL). That's a real good trade for Houston. Denver is also giving up this season I see.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: November 09, 2018, 05:29:49 AM

Jesus Christ that Steelers/Panties game was ugly.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #86 on: November 09, 2018, 07:46:02 AM

I didn't watch it, just popping my head into the coverage every once in a while. That was an ass-whoopping.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: November 13, 2018, 01:28:02 PM

I'm coming around on the Cooper thing. I'd rather we'd given up a second round + but he's definitely made an impact. He'd have better numbers if Dak was a better qb. Hopefully with more time together Dak will get better throwing to him deep (Dak seems to have better rapport with some receivers than others. Or maybe he just sucks.  why so serious? )
WayAbvPar

Reply #88 on: November 14, 2018, 01:37:32 AM

#1 pick is a king's ransom for his still. Especially if The Clapper leads you to a top 10 pick.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: November 14, 2018, 03:45:10 PM

#1 pick is a king's ransom for his still. Especially if The Clapper leads you to a top 10 pick.

First off it warms my heart that non Dallas fans are referring to him as The Clapper.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I don't think the Cowboys are going to the playoffs but I hope the pick is at least outside the top 10, hopefully outside top 15. In any event from what I understand next year isn't great for qbs, so the only position I'd want would be DE (maybe LT if it looks like Tyron Smith will retire early).
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #90 on: November 14, 2018, 03:53:11 PM

Who wants Le'Veon Bell next year?  Anyone?
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: November 14, 2018, 06:08:48 PM

Who wants Le'Veon Bell next year?  Anyone?

Someone will overpay for him... just hope it doesn't turn into a Dez Bryant signing.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #92 on: November 15, 2018, 07:36:17 AM

Someone may overpay for him, but is he going to get that long-term 15M/year deal he was angling for in the past?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: November 15, 2018, 08:00:25 AM

They did an info popup last week that he's left almost 9M on the table. Not sure that's being effective if the goal is to get paid.

I'd like to see him on the tail for the Pats, but I doubt he'd work there for long (or get the paycheck he wants). I had hopes for Patterson for a bigger back, but he needs some development. They're missing a Blount imo, even though White is stellar at his thing and Michel is coming along nicely.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #94 on: November 15, 2018, 08:55:43 PM

JFC, Mike McCarthy has got to be the most predictable playcaller on the fucking planet right now. The entire second half, Green Bay continually gets fucked on 3rd down because they can't block or can't block long enough because our route tree is just so simple that it's easy to cover. Fuck McCarthy, that giant bobbleheaded fuck.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #95 on: November 16, 2018, 06:24:56 AM

They did an info popup last week that he's left almost 9M on the table. Not sure that's being effective if the goal is to get paid.

Bell forfeited $14.54 million by not showing up this year.  If it works out that someone guarantees him $15m for 5 years, then it's worth it.  Otherwise, he's going to play 1-2 more years at elite salary before being sunset for being over 28.  No way the Pats pay him for more than a year at a time, that wouldn't be their style at all.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #96 on: November 16, 2018, 07:21:27 AM

Le'Veon Bell will not sign with the Pats, as I'm pretty sure Belichek would never sign him. Bell isn't quite Randy Moss levels of "locker room disruptive" (in the sense of wanting to cash in), but it's close enough that I think Crabby Hoodie Man would not sign him these days. It's not like they really need him. I'm more inclined to think the Jets will back up a Brinks truck to get him.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: November 16, 2018, 08:53:41 AM

Don't underestimate how desperate the Pats are going to get over the next couple years. The end is nigh.
WayAbvPar

Reply #98 on: November 16, 2018, 10:36:05 PM

JFC, Mike McCarthy has got to be the most predictable playcaller on the fucking planet right now. The entire second half, Green Bay continually gets fucked on 3rd down because they can't block or can't block long enough because our route tree is just so simple that it's easy to cover. Fuck McCarthy, that giant bobbleheaded fuck.

Also, his legendary mis-use of second half timeouts cost him AGAIN. If he had more left, he definitely challenges the long pass to Lockett that seemed to touch the ground. I appreciate his ineptness when it benefits the Seahawks, but I hate him for wasting a decade+ of probably the best QB to ever play in the NFL. An decent coach wins 3 SB with Rodgers, minimum.

Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: November 17, 2018, 04:12:54 AM

Also, his legendary mis-use of second half timeouts cost him AGAIN. If he had more left, he definitely challenges the long pass to Lockett that seemed to touch the ground. I appreciate his ineptness when it benefits the Seahawks, but I hate him for wasting a decade+ of probably the best QB to ever play in the NFL. An decent coach wins 3 SB with Rodgers, minimum.

I think all the talking heads need to step back a second on the challenge flag thing. What is or isn't a completed catch is still as clear as mud and ruling on the field was a catch and that would need a small miracle to be overturned.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #100 on: November 17, 2018, 09:48:32 AM

What? The announcers called it live that the ball had moved. Either that on the first replay.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #101 on: November 17, 2018, 02:23:07 PM

What? The announcers called it live that the ball had moved. Either that on the first replay.

And the announcers are always right?

I don't have any problem with him not challenging that call. With one timeout left, there's no way I'd have challenged that myself. With two timeouts, I'd still have had to think about it. There's plenty of blame to be placed on McCarthy and his coaching staff for having to take the two timeouts in the 2nd half, but in that situation, I don't see the problem with no challenge. I've seen the replay 5 or 6 times and I'm still not sure the refs would have overturned it because the catch rules are still shitty.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: November 18, 2018, 10:20:47 AM

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #103 on: November 18, 2018, 08:44:20 PM

Meanwhile, Mark Sanchez is working out for the Redskins because Alex Smith's leg broke in two separate places today.  Redskins fandom feels pretty Brownsy this year.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #104 on: November 19, 2018, 09:39:46 AM

I hate that that happened to Alex Smith but fuck the Racial Slurs. They deserve to have Colt McCoy as their starter with Sanchize as their backup simply for being such morons about the Kirk Cousins situation.

I watched the Saints barbecue the Eagles. Not only are the Saints really fucking good this year, the Eagles are just completely off. I realize their entire secondary is hurt right now but their defense might as well not even have taken the field. And as bad as their defense looked, their offense looked worse. I get that their top running back is out, but they have Alshon Jeffrey and Golden Tate to throw to in addition to Zach Ertz and a potential MVP candidate at QB (last year's MVP). There is no excuse for how bad that offense is.

As for the Bears/Vikings game, I really like the offensive scheme that Matt Nagy is running in Chicago, but I have a feeling they are going to be their own worst enemy. Trubisky is a good QB who is going to make some tremendously dumb fucking throws that will get picked. With the dominance their defense showed against a really good Minnesota team, they should have been done and dusted by the 3rd quarter but their offense kept tripping over their own dicks with turnovers. Minnesota, meanwhile, really needs to be get better run blocking and pass protection, because everything else about their offense is really good. Diggs and Thielen are two of the best wideouts in the game, Cousins is a decent QB and Cook/Murray are a good running back tandem. And yet, they can't block for shit, so the run game got stuffed by a really good Bears front 7 which let the Bears pass rush like crazy, something they also excel at.

Tonight's game may be one of the most exciting games of the season, or at least since the Saints/Rams game a few weeks ago. I'm glad it's not being played on that fucked up turf in Mexico.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2018: That's Not a Sack  
Jump to: