Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:54:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2018: That's Not a Sack 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2018: That's Not a Sack  (Read 61798 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #35 on: September 20, 2018, 04:33:47 PM

Part of me would really like to see the Steelers dominate the game, but another part is tired of the off-the-field drama and just wants them to go away for the rest of the year.  At least I live near enough the Redskins to bandwagon.... no, never mind.

Go Ravens?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36 on: September 20, 2018, 09:13:51 PM

Baker Mayfield, man.

Bonus that he cleaned up Tyrod's mess, my Bills fan buddy is going to be hearing this one for a while.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 20, 2018, 11:18:49 PM

I hate the Bucs, mainly because of Jameis Winston and if he were starting instead of being suspended for groping an Uber driver, we could call that game the Rapist Bowl. However, I think it will end up being the game where the real Ryan Fitzmagic shows up and the Bucs get found out as the shitty team they really are.

If there is one thing you can count on with Fitzmagic, it is that you cannot count on Fitzmagic.  There is no scenario where he doesn't fall back down to earth eventually, so it goes to reason that it will happen this week when I would so love to see him beat the Steelers.  Football has these weird karma forces at work, would be a good weak to bet on Pittsburgh.

Speaking of QB knob polishing, people never learn the real simple lessons with young QBs.  I think its cool guys like Mahomes come in and do really well.  Mayfield comes on in relief and gives Cleveland it's first .500 record since 1824.  But stop treating these guys like the second coming of Christ.  I think I said the same thing about Dak Prescott two years ago:  there is absolutely no reason to believe these guys will not crash and burn.  If not next week or next month, then maybe next year.  It happens all the time and it is no great mystery.  They come in with a certain rookie confidence due to not knowing any better, and more importantly...there is no tape on these guys.  They succeed beyond all expectations, and we all fall for it.  Let's see how things are when there is a bit more history in the rearview mirror upon which to judge them.  It doesn't mean they won't eventually live up to the hype, but it is waaaaaaay to fucking early to suggest such things.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 03:16:33 AM

It is rather telling when your head coach has no idea which QB to start, but then we get to see a comparison of both and it's pretty evident from the flow and timing. Baker might not be great over the long haul, but he looked like an NFL QB... offense looked like it started to click when he came on. Bizarro world has come... because the Browns look like they have a functional, good QB.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 21, 2018, 03:50:41 AM

You're doing it again.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 21, 2018, 04:09:57 AM

Yeah, well... being a Browns fan, we are allowed to wax poetic after a single win in two years. Gotta cheer before the house inevitably burns down.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 21, 2018, 04:23:33 AM

I think there actually is some reason for optimism with or without Mayfield.  Just don't assume this guy is your instant savior.  One of the arguments to keeping him on the bench is so that when the inevitable beatdown comes, it doesn't ruin him utterly.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 21, 2018, 07:23:05 AM

I was impressed with his ability to read the D (albeit the Jets D) quickly and execute. Don't listen to the stupid talking heads that want to deify a good performance.

Baker put on a clinic on how to be a solid QB, he only had one poorly chosen throw, because the safety was obscured by a knot of linemen. Of course time will tell, and he plays for the Browns, so it's not like they'll be in the playoffs ever or anything. Hopefully NE can pick him up to replace Brady next year  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 24, 2018, 12:13:45 AM

I see Clay Matthews got another flag for "tackling while being Clay Matthews" lol.

I am of two minds about this.  On the one hand, this is clearly should not be a foul.  It is a foul according to the new rules, but it should not be.

On the other hand, there is a reason Clay Matthews is an unlikable douche.  I have seen enough of that guy in action to know that when he makes a tackle like that, he is the exact kind of alpha male among alpha males dickhead that is trying to hurt you every time he touches you.  Within the rules, sure, but that doesn't make him less of a dick.  He puts all of his weight into a tackle like that not because it is the best way to bring someone to the ground, but because it might happily smash a few of your ribs.

But yeah, they need to undo this rule for all the non-assholes who just want to tackle a dude.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 24, 2018, 01:43:16 AM

The Aaron-Rodgers-Anti-Smash-The-QBs-Shoulder-Rule should only be in force when the QB would land/lands sideways on their shoulder. But try to enforce it like that... Football gets harder and harder to watch, especially to newbies. It was hard enough to explain the basics of 4 downs etc to the average European. Now, every time there's a flag you have to explain those special 'if-then-else' cases.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 24, 2018, 02:31:30 AM

The better approach, in my opinion, is to take the longer, strategic view in all of this.  The reason the QB needs so much protecting these days is because of the ridiculous offensive focus the NFL themselves are putting onto the game.  They want QBs dropping back 50 times a game to turn every contest into a high scoring product, and have been changing all of the rules to make it happen.  The QB gets put even more at risk, they tighten up the rules even more, the scores go even higher, and around and around we fucking go.

The answer is to stop all that bullshit.  The fans increasingly dislike this product, and it isn't because the darker skinned players are kneeling during the song before the game.  Reverse some of this crap, de-emphasizing the offensive scoring, de-emphasize the role of the QB, put things back in balance.  It wasn't fucking broken before.  It is broken now.  Protect the QB by making them less of a focus.  It will magically protect wide receivers at the same time.  And your ratings.

The blows to the head/helmet rules are okay, for the record.  Not sure I like how it gets enforced, but the principle is fine.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 24, 2018, 09:48:49 AM

Part of that I guess is the Tebow/Brady effect, the Quarterback as a celebrity that the entire game revolves around. If he is the focus of the coverage then his importance in the game must be increased.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 24, 2018, 09:55:22 AM

I have seen enough of that guy in action to know that when he makes a tackle like that, he is the exact kind of alpha male among alpha males dickhead that is trying to hurt you every time he touches you.  Within the rules, sure, but that doesn't make him less of a dick.  He puts all of his weight into a tackle like that not because it is the best way to bring someone to the ground, but because it might happily smash a few of your ribs.
That's how sacks have been coached, it's the way the game was up until recently. So by extension, pass rushers are all dicks.

He cleaned up his tackles for the new rules, and those were good tackles. Taking out pile driving and other stuff like that makes sense, but you shouldn't be stopping pass rushers from making clean sacks like those.

Anyway, it is what it is, there's always something with officiating that affects scoring and drives people nuts. I'm more pissed that the 4pm games only had one channel, so I had no backup game to watch during commercials. I ended up going into the studio rather than sit and endure commercials for hours. I'd be perfectly fine just gamepassing the stuff I want to watch, but the old lady is completely unable to disconnect her phone from her eyeballs 24/7, ffs.
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 24, 2018, 11:09:14 AM

Time to change the thread title...

Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 24, 2018, 02:31:46 PM

And now 4 of the 5 QB first rounders are named starters.   why so serious?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #50 on: September 24, 2018, 02:55:41 PM

That Clay Matthews roughing the passer penalty was utter bullshit, again. What in the fuck do refs expect defenders to do?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 03:56:58 PM

Best comment I head was 'gently remove the QB's flag and hand it to the ref'.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 24, 2018, 06:23:39 PM

Dude that 2nd roughing the passer call (approx 7min 2nd Q) in the Steelers game. Holy shit.

Dude brushes Big Ben's helmet and he goes down like a soccer player.

I hope that gets replayed all week to define what a complete joke this is.
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 06:33:57 PM

Guess NFL players watched a bunch of world cup this year and picked up a few things.

I don't know one football fan that likes these sissy rules, yet the NFL front office claims it is to protect the players that people want to watch.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 07:28:31 PM

If they really wanted to protect the QB, they'd just make a "sack" be defined as "any contact on the QB by any defensive player, no matter how soft or incidental." Make it touch football just on the QB. Otherwise, they are just shitting up the game for no good reason.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 07:50:29 PM

Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 24, 2018, 08:08:03 PM

Miami DE out for year for trying to follow this Aaron Rodgers rule.  They really should just put flags on QB's and tell them they are not allowed to cross the line of scrimmage if they are gonna be overly-protected like this.  4 roughing the passer calls so far on this Monday night game and it's really ruining what should be an entertaining game.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 25, 2018, 09:11:24 AM

The fiancee left before it was over and I fast-forwarded through most of it. They've finally found the thing to ruin it for me.
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 25, 2018, 11:03:08 AM

These asshats are making Mark Cuban's prediction come true. At this rate, might as well use flags - or since we are in modern times, sensors!

WayAbvPar

Reply #59 on: September 30, 2018, 04:22:11 PM

I sincerely hope none of you saw a moment of the Seattle @ Arizona game. It may have set back football several decades. Good fucking god.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ynotgolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 30, 2018, 09:35:46 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed where our disgruntled Free Safety who couldn't find himself able to practice the last two weeks for fear of injury..

was driven off the field with an air-cast around his broken leg.

And proceed to flip the bird to his coaches (presumedly) on the far sideline.

That made for fun dinner conversation at least...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #61 on: October 01, 2018, 09:49:56 AM

Earl Thomas is right to be pissed as hell. Looks like he should have gone the Leveon Bell route.

I watched the Bengals/Falcons game more out of obligation to watch football on a Sunday than any desire to see either team. Defense seems to be an afterthought for both teams, though both did get better in the 2nd half - at least until the game was on the line. Atlanta is a team I can see frustrating the fuck out of its fans because it has the tools to win but not the temperament apparently. Stupid penalties were the reason they lost, and both teams looked like special teams nightmares.

WayAbvPar

Reply #62 on: October 01, 2018, 10:33:24 AM

I understand why Earl Thomas is upset, but this is EXACTLY why the Seahawks didn't sign him to a 3rd contract. Don't blame the team; blame the shitty CBA and the NFLPA that doesn't take care of its players.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #63 on: October 01, 2018, 12:41:04 PM

I'd be quite happy to blame all 3.  why so serious?

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 01, 2018, 12:44:30 PM

In the year that every team decided not to bring a defense, the Bills and Cardinals decided to also not bring an offense. Honorable mention to the Steelers who really may as well put a JUGS machine back there.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #65 on: October 22, 2018, 08:36:37 AM

Yesterday was a tale of two rookie QB's for me. I made the decision to start Trubisky instead of Wentz in fantasy, so I figured I'd watch the Bears game. And while his points totals were really good, this kid is... not. I'm not saying there isn't some raw talent there, because he runs well and does have a strong arm. He doesn't, however, have any fucking ability to 1) get down when he's about to get his clock cleaned, 2) read defenses, and 3) make good decisions. His choices of when to pass are just all over the place. He threw two picks that should never have left his hand, and worst was they came when he could have just thrown the ball away. There were a few other plays that should have been picked that weren't because again, bad fucking decisions. He doesn't know when his receiver is covered. The good news is that he almost managed to beat the Pats despite all that (partly because the Pats had two fumbles in bad spots, but those were counterbalanced by a kickoff TD and a blocked punt TD). Even with all that, the Bears are good again, which is unfortunate for my Packers.

I watched the night game with Cincy v. KC. Everyone was talking about how this was two contenders going at it. There's only one contender in this game and it was KC. Do not believe in these Bengals, at all. They are a team with talent but they are not a good team. KC's defense is fucking awful, but luckily they have Mahomes, who is everything Trubisky wants to be but isn't. He makes good decisions, has a cannon for an arm, can run and has an OC that believes in doing whacked out shit that works mostly because they have talent at all the skill positions. Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill make Mahomes that much better (whereas Trubisky only really has Tarik Cohen). Since KC got ahead so quickly, the Bengals were forced to pass a lot, which meant the Chiefs good edge rushers can pin their ears back and go after the QB. This is a team that may loose shootouts simply because they can't defend the run and their entire team is bad except for Chris Jones and a couple of edge rushing linebackers.

Also, Blake Bortles finally got benched because he's terrible. I still don't understand why they didn't just back the Brinks truck up and sign Kirk Cousins.

Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 22, 2018, 09:50:47 AM

Yesterday was a tale of two rookie QB's for me. I made the decision to start Trubisky instead of Wentz in fantasy, so I figured I'd watch the Bears game. And while his points totals were really good, this kid is... not. I'm not saying there isn't some raw talent there, because he runs well and does have a strong arm. He doesn't, however, have any fucking ability to 1) get down when he's about to get his clock cleaned, 2) read defenses, and 3) make good decisions. His choices of when to pass are just all over the place. He threw two picks that should never have left his hand, and worst was they came when he could have just thrown the ball away. There were a few other plays that should have been picked that weren't because again, bad fucking decisions. He doesn't know when his receiver is covered. The good news is that he almost managed to beat the Pats despite all that (partly because the Pats had two fumbles in bad spots, but those were counterbalanced by a kickoff TD and a blocked punt TD). Even with all that, the Bears are good again, which is unfortunate for my Packers.

I watched the night game with Cincy v. KC. Everyone was talking about how this was two contenders going at it. There's only one contender in this game and it was KC. Do not believe in these Bengals, at all. They are a team with talent but they are not a good team. KC's defense is fucking awful, but luckily they have Mahomes, who is everything Trubisky wants to be but isn't. He makes good decisions, has a cannon for an arm, can run and has an OC that believes in doing whacked out shit that works mostly because they have talent at all the skill positions. Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill make Mahomes that much better (whereas Trubisky only really has Tarik Cohen). Since KC got ahead so quickly, the Bengals were forced to pass a lot, which meant the Chiefs good edge rushers can pin their ears back and go after the QB. This is a team that may loose shootouts simply because they can't defend the run and their entire team is bad except for Chris Jones and a couple of edge rushing linebackers.

Also, Blake Bortles finally got benched because he's terrible. I still don't understand why they didn't just back the Brinks truck up and sign Kirk Cousins.

You forgot this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF82jZ4VJfc  Helmet rules? Nah, they are the Browns... who cares.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 22, 2018, 11:27:59 AM

They had a no-call or pickup during the Pats game, too. Clear helmet-to-helmet.

And twice I was really frustrated because pass rushers pulled up before the sack. Once the guy just stood in front of Trubisky for a beat. Seems like it was coached to avoid the glut of passer roughing calls, but it's an unfunny joke currently (and I support most of the helmet-based stuff, concussions aren't a joke).
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 22, 2018, 07:22:05 PM

I hate Jerry Jones so much right now.

Is it against the rules to type that I want to see someone get assassinated, raped by wolves and then eaten alive, or catch the plague? Because I don't want to break the rules.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #69 on: October 22, 2018, 07:37:25 PM

Far be it from me to quell the hating on Jerrah, but what did he do this time?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2018: That's Not a Sack  
Jump to: