Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:46:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: Horizon Dawn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Horizon Dawn  (Read 7388 times)
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

on: September 06, 2018, 04:34:11 PM

Sure, I'll start. I'm not completely sold on this at first glance, but it's probably of interest to some people in here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/horizon-zero-dawntm-the-board-game?ref=category_newest

Pros:
Nice figures at a pretty reasonable price for what you get
I do like co-op stuff

Cons:
It's only semi co-op and I tend not to like how that is usually implemented as it means that optimal play is largely doing as little as possible on the co op side of things, while you focus on just winning.
Unclear on exactly how it plays at the moment. Can't quite tell if this is Kingdom-Deathy or more like a crappy CMON product

mod edit: fixed link.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 04:45:16 PM by Rasix »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 04:49:08 PM

jesus christ
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 05:29:55 PM

Horizon Zero$123 Dawn.

Are those three boxes in a box?

Those minis are super tight though.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 09:33:59 PM

No, that's a box and 3 expansions, and there are a few more beyond that.  They're aiming for Kingdom Death price wise and shooting for the moon.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 09:56:35 PM

This doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of KD:M.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 10:08:19 PM

It does actually seem to be a box with three boxes. If you look through the details, the base game is the leftmost black box, and the other two are the expansions included in the base pledge. Not sure if the white box is meant to be some sort of slipcase for the others, or what.

And this is still nowhere near KD:M prices. All in for this is about 1/4 what getting all of the gameplay elements in the last KD:M campaign were. It's around the usual range for CMON style mini heavy projects.

Oh, and I just realized this is the same people who did the Dark Souls board game, so it's looking like a hard pass for me.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 10:12:47 PM

All in on KDM w/o resin replacement figures was $1,535. I know because of reasons.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 10:15:13 PM

All in on KDM w/o resin replacement figures was $1,535. I know because of reasons.

Is that across both campaigns? Because I'm pretty sure I got all gameplay from the last campaign, and my pledge is sitting at $1245.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 10:25:31 PM

That was the cost going all in on campaign 2 with the black friday lantern as the base pledge ($777). Adding in Expansions of Death vol 1, hard plastic board, all crossover figures and... Death dice.

It was not easy to get the math right.

Edit: worth mentioning that the gamblers chest is likely the best deal in the history of gaming if you have the base game. Like S Tier shit, like the Orange box.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 10:33:52 PM

Ok, yeah, I don't count the board or dice as gameplay, so that probably explains the difference.

And I think my vote for best bang for buck in gaming will probably always be original kickstarter Gloomhaven, but the Gambler's box is definitely way up there.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 10:42:48 PM

I picked up Gloomhaven from the second campaign, I think it was $20 more than the original campaign (with minis) and I suspect it's worth every penny. Hasn't hit the table yet. Needs to.

Plastic wise Im not sure it touches the gamblers box though, which as far as I can tell has more shit than the kdm base game.

Both absurd values though.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 08:53:55 PM

You're right, this isn't near KD, but the pricing was in the same ball park and I just stopped scrolling down after I saw a never ending cascade of expansions.  A friend of mine bought into this today without realizing how many add ons it had, and I totaled it up.  It's right around $350 all in, which is still pretty absurd, just not as openly ludicrious as KD.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 10:25:11 PM

This is being made by a company that only makes board games licensed from video games.  Dark Souls, Resident Evil, Horizon Dawn.  I mean...their company is named Steamforged.  It's almost like THQ was reborn as a board game developer.  Or better yet, Uwe Boll.

The game is going to be mediocre, at best.  Not only is it not going to be worth the money you pay for it, but it's going to take up precious shelf space that should go towards actual good games.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 10:32:19 PM by Ruvaldt »

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 11:39:27 PM

Yeah, I only realized this was the same people as the Dark Souls game after I posted about it. I wouldn't even have posted a whiffly "This might be decent, maybe" post if I had beforehand. They have yet to make a good game and have a bad track record with fulfillment (you'll probably get your game ... eventually, but it'll most likely be after cheaper retail copies exist and you might need to harangue customer service about it a few times).

About the only nice thing I can say is that the miniatures will probably be decent given their history. If that's worth it to you, knock yourself out, but if you're expecting to actually play the game, do yourself a favor and pass.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 05:47:01 AM

Not directly pertinent to Horizon, but the point about the miniatures applies and I don't think HATE deserves it's own thread as the game looks awful. However, HATE it was a good deal for the miniatures (because Chaos Marauders for Warhams), so I backed it soley on that basis.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: Horizon Dawn  
Jump to: