Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:56:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Conan Exiles  |  Topic: README / noob guide 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: README / noob guide  (Read 13672 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: July 03, 2018, 02:28:00 PM

What is it?
Minecraft with dongs.  The game has PvP, but there's a private PvE f13 server because we're all old carebears now.

How do I get on the f13 server?
1) Get game on Steam
2) Get on Discord because most coordination happens there (to the extent it matters)
3) Get the password from someone.

What do I do?
There's a little tutorial after you make your character that'll teach you the basics.

After that, there's an extended tutorial with mini quests like "build a shelter" that'll introduce you to different parts of the skill tree.  Hit J to see a full list of these.  One of the steps will send you to the Dregs dungeon at the western end of the river; that's the start of a massive series of quests.

Explore the world.  It's pretty big, and you won't find much iron in the noob desert.  You don't lose anything when you die so be bold.  Remember to put down a bedroll if you don't want to be sent all the way back to noobtown.

If you don't know where to go first, check the Urban Planning thread for a list of stuff people have built.  Borrowing someone else's crafting stations and shelter is a good way to get a head start if you want to skip the "collecting branches and rocks with your bare hands to build a sandstone hut" part of the game.  You'll need to find someone in game to get added to the clan and be able to use other peoples' buildings.

How do I level?
IMO, this game is really good about not making you grind for XP.   If you do your Journey steps you'll level up pretty quick because they're each worth a lot of XP.  Killing stuff and crafting stuff both give you XP in a steady drip, so generally if you just play the game you'll get your dings.  If you do want to brainlessly grind out the levels, though, killing stuff (especially relatively dangerous stuff like NPC camps and crocodile nests) is the tried and true method.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:41:08 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 02:28:58 PM

after you get iron and make non garbage gear, come populate my city

please

i've built so much

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 02:29:09 PM

Suggest stuff for me to add to the first post, ask questions, etc.  Having more people running around on the f13 server would be fun.

(edit) also go keep schild company in his gigantic monument to nihilism, I'm worried about him over there

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 02:34:53 PM

In the not too distant future I'm going to get back to working on the highway project -- marking paths with standing torches and putting up signposts.  I gathered up a shitton of coal the last time I did a pirate run so I should be able to at the very least link up the Bureau with my new tiki castle.  Ultimately I'd like for a wandering noob to be able to easily stumble on signposts that'll direct them to useful/interesting stuff.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 02:39:28 PM by Samwise »

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 10:40:27 PM

Mandella's mansion near the bridge in the noob zone is a useful landing spot.  We should make care packages there for new players with weapons, armor, iron bars and iron skinning knives. Plus there are naked dancers. 
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 11:47:54 PM

OMG, I forgot what a pain in the ass it was to try to gather hide for some of the early recipes without a skinning knife.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 10:29:05 AM

Mandella's mansion near the bridge in the noob zone is a useful landing spot.  We should make care packages there for new players with weapons, armor, iron bars and iron skinning knives. Plus there are naked dancers. 

You're thinking of Segoris' Soviet Bloc Brick across from my little riverside manor -- and yes it does have naked dancers, which I am sadly lacking. I do have one busty Cimmerian thrall who no longer takes my orders or responds to me, but alas she opts to keep her shirt on.

To Samwise. I've also got a road and elevator project going on, although sadly slowly due to crappy current internet. Feel free to link yours to mine if you wish.

Really wish we could deform or dig some distance into the ground. I wonder if we can build and block spawns in some of the natural caves? I haven't tried it yet, but it would be interesting.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 09:58:49 AM

To Samwise. I've also got a road and elevator project going on, although sadly slowly due to crappy current internet. Feel free to link yours to mine if you wish.

I added a section to the Urban Planning post/thread for the Dong Road highway project.  My minimal criteria at this point is to have a line of torches within sight of each other so that it's obvious (even in darkness) how to follow the route without having to stop and consult a map, although some sections of my road get a little more ambitious with bridges and elevators.  I've also been pondering adding little "roadhouses" at regular intervals to provide sandstorm shelter and caches of essential supplies.  So many projects!

Lemme know where your road goes and we can figure out a way to link things up.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:59:15 AM by Samwise »

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 11:05:54 AM

Posted basic description of what I have done so far in the Urban Planning thread.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 05:50:50 PM

So I didn't even realize until running through the Dregs dungeon the other night with Rasix that there's an actual story arc to this game.  Adding a note on that.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 06:54:06 PM

So I didn't even realize until running through the Dregs dungeon the other night with Rasix that there's an actual story arc to this game.  Adding a note on that.

Also, don't trust walkthroughs on these bosses. Most have been buffed significantly. First boss can be melee'd if you bring some shield repair mats (good enough shield and only his big telegraphed attack can't be blocked) or learn to dodge well. Arrows work too, but it can take a lot.

Second boss can be piked through a wall.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 07:54:15 PM

Also, don't trust walkthroughs on these bosses. Most have been buffed significantly. First boss can be melee'd if you bring some shield repair mats (good enough shield and only his big telegraphed attack can't be blocked) or learn to dodge well. Arrows work too, but it can take a lot.

Second boss can be piked through a wall.  awesome, for real

If you're talking about the bat as the second boss, I did not have good luck piking that dude.  He's got way more reach on him than most monsters, especially that sonic yell thing.  Luckily you can put down a bedroll right on the other side of the aforementioned wall and respawn as many times as needed.

Even though that fight was dumb (as are all the boss fights frankly, the game's combat system just isn't deep enough to have a "good" fight so the bosses are all endurance trials), I still loved the process of figuring out how the hell to get up there.

Rasix

Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 08:14:22 PM

You can hit him with a spear through the wall.  You don't need the opening. Spear goes right through and hits him, but the wall still blocks every attack of his. You may have to try and position him so he's 100% behind the wall and not at the opening. I tried poking through the break in the wall, but he could still occasionally hit me for 20% of my health in one shot.

The climb was cool though. I ended up doing a long segment by jumping off a piece of the structure jutting out the rock.

BTW, for anyone doing dregs, my place is on the north shore along the way.  Feel free to use the crafting stations and supplies.

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 10:54:30 AM

Power leveling tip/exploit maybe? If you have the Khitan DLC, making the construction pieces gives a ton of exp. However, it is quite expensive in terms of hardened brick and steel. Still, I think I went from 56-60 in a couple hours. A run of 10 ceiling tiles was giving me 1/4 to 1/3 a level even at 59. House still aint done.

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 02:22:02 AM

This dropped on the Humble, so I'm installing now for a poke and prod about.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 07:12:10 AM

It's worth noting I have crafting experience at 300% on the server. Since there's no end game I didn't understand why 40-60 was such a fucking slog.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 07:52:49 AM

I actually got 40-60 mostly by killing things while I was trying to find/capture specific named thralls.

I guess I did it wrong?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 09:42:30 AM

Nah, people doing that still level faster than crafting. The exp curve is a mess.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 01:04:27 PM

I haven't accidentally stumbled on the thing that leads to the Dregs dungeon yet.  Sounds like that's what I need to do to break out of this rut I'm in.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Conan Exiles  |  Topic: README / noob guide  
Jump to: