Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:05:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: New book out covering UO, SWG, Privateer, Metaplace, etc 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New book out covering UO, SWG, Privateer, Metaplace, etc  (Read 3307 times)
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

on: May 31, 2018, 12:14:31 PM

Hey, not sure where to put this.

My new book is available to order (ships in a month), it's selected essays from my site covering the above-mentioned work, plus a whole book's worth of new stuff. Postmortems, behind the scenes, lots more.

Blog post about it is here: https://www.raphkoster.com/2018/05/31/new-book-postmortems/

At least one regular poster here gets quoted. :)
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 12:30:48 PM

I hope it was Brad McQuaid getting quoted

Or Curt schilling
Raph
Developers

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 01:14:11 PM

Brad's in there, Curt's not, but I meant regular f13 posters :)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 04:58:54 PM

Loved the trapped chests excerpt, brought back a lot of memories. I was a bit of a griefer in UO (I was bored, young, and a jerk) and most of your happy mistakes were exploited immediately after being introduced.

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 05:41:57 PM

Very pleased to see this.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 08:55:59 PM

I am probably not the quoted one- I labeled myself as co-author because Lum used my anecdote in his MMOG book, and Raph doesn't wanna share the spotlight  Mob

Also- where is my Kindle version, you tree-murdering miscreant?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 09:07:42 PM

Yeah, I'll assume I have to be happy with my excerpt in his other book as well.

Ah the trapped chests. My room mate back then was literally paying his rent off of trapped chest and bank roof exploits.

Most elaborate one I remember: He bought a tiny house and placed it near a major road. He'd go inside, open the door, place a chest in the doorway. Then he'd fill the chest with so much ore that you couldn't actually move it. Then he'd trap the chest, and then stand on top of it and hide. Standing in the doorway kept the door propped open, but since he was hidden, it looked like the chest was doing it. It also for some reason prevented people from pushing through him.

People would run down the road and see an open door. Greed kicked in and they'd make a beeline to it. They wouldn't be able to get in or move the chest, so in a panic they'd open the chest without thinking. I witnessed him get at least a dozen people with that.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:15:19 PM by Bunk »

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Raph
Developers

Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 09:44:50 PM

Also- where is my Kindle version, you tree-murdering miscreant?

Wish I knew! Might be that they are holding it until the release date.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 09:03:49 AM

Look forward to reading this!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: New book out covering UO, SWG, Privateer, Metaplace, etc  
Jump to: