Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:08:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 98095 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: November 29, 2018, 09:02:37 AM

I am finding the dustup over the Collectors Edition pretty amusing.

CE buyers: hey wait there was supposed to be a cool looking canvas bag and instead there's this $2 cheap nylon thing. What gives?
Bethesda customer rep: there was a worldwide canvas shortage, sorry, here's some free tokens in game for bitches who think canvas grows on trees or something
CE buyers: WHAT THE FUCK.
Bethesda higher level rep: we have sacked the insensitive customer rep for not conveying our message correctly. What we mean to say is there was a worldwide canvas shortage, we're really sorry, and here's some free tokens for anyone who whines enough about this.
CE buyers:  Tantrum
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #316 on: November 29, 2018, 09:11:51 AM

Yahtzee was livestreaming this yesterday.

Jesus Christ it looks bad.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: November 29, 2018, 09:28:07 AM

Also this: https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/bethesda-under-investigation-fallout-76-refunds-1203037296/

Reddit user scubasme is one customer unable to get a refund, and reports that Bethesda denied their request with the following statement: “Customers who have downloaded the game are not eligible for a refund. We apologize for the inconvenience. If there is anything else we can assist you with please reply to this email for further assistance. Thank you for your patience.”

Popcorn
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: November 29, 2018, 10:57:42 AM

A huge map would make sense with private servers and building permanence; players could erect their own structures, small groups could come together to form towns, and so on. That doesn't work as well with a portable camp and random servers.
That cannot be a last minute change -- did they simply not test their server capacity and have to cut from 200 players down to 24, and remove all permanence like four months ago?

Maybe? This whole thing looks like it really wasn't well thought out. There is even some precedent -- Trespasser had the devs spending the week before release running around in their code yanking things that they just couldn't get to work reliably (but had already been advertised).

We might get a good post mortem out of all this though -- does Gamasutra still do those? (Speaking of a site I haven't been to in forever...)
schild
Administrator

Reply #319 on: November 29, 2018, 11:17:03 AM

a simple phone call to me would've had this canceled before day one of work Ohhhhh, I see.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: November 29, 2018, 04:44:24 PM

Also, there's literally nothing else but PvP. Or would be, if  that even worked right. There's some lackluster PvE, a smattering of "quests", and...that's it.

This is horse shit. There's tons of PVE and quests. I'm level 68 and still have tons of undone quests and haven't explored roughly 1/3rd of the map. I get not liking the game but at least be accurate when you're talking about what it does wrong.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: November 29, 2018, 07:23:05 PM

I played this in beta, because a friend of mine got it, who coincidentally couldn't get the game to open the entire time the beta was going. I only got in because of the "buddy beta" keys, which immediately rose red flags to me, along with the way it performed, crashed my machine, and totally wouldn't load to any login on my friend's PC (it turned out something in his firewall blocked it, but there was little to no information, Customer Service, or knowledge repositories because of the SHORT duration of the beta).

I CAN say it was fallout, but it was less the hand-crafted and exciting place imo, and the lack of NPCs (everything being robots or terminals) seemed lazy or like they only kept the "story" folk at Fallout busy on this to rush it out. There were tons of quests yes, but they were not very interesting to me with how many holotapes I had to listen to, and how it still seemed stupidly linear for the "start" of the game.

The multiplayer was something I wanted the private servers for, the building isn't that bad EXCEPT that you have to pick a location, pay to pack the "camp", and that someone else can take your spot +make yours not work. My friend has been streaming this while building his huge base or killing things, and he likes it, but it also wasn't the Explorer Questing thing for him, it's a shooting adrenaline filled apocalypse where he can MMO-lite. Wasn't my kind of Fallout, and PvP was something that was as much an after-thought as this game.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: November 30, 2018, 12:04:34 PM

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: December 01, 2018, 09:29:44 AM

Anecdotal of course, but even my "casual" gamer friends from work are kinda incensed at this, along with the whole cash shop prices in general.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: December 01, 2018, 08:10:47 PM

This game was only interesting in terms of whether they had a solution to the obvious problems with their approach. It's now fairly obvious they didn't even perceive there was a problem.

I see a lot of people assuming they will "patch until good", but I suspect this is much more likely to quietly abandoned. It's not worth them sinking more money into trying to make this work for the people who would still care at that point.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: December 01, 2018, 09:51:29 PM

I can see people modding in NPCs, like Preston Garvey, from Fallout 4 into it and using old fallout 4 assets and some new voice assets, plus new monsters and other assets into it, so it might eventually become worthwhile. But again, it will be the modding community that does the job.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: December 03, 2018, 05:19:35 PM

https://twitter.com/BethesdaSupport/status/1069713890806849536
Bethesda Support
‏Verified account @BethesdaSupport

We are finalizing manufacturing plans for replacement canvas bags for the Fallout 76: Power Armor Edition. If you purchased the CE, please visit https://beth.games/2QDropM  and submit a ticket by Jan. 31, 2019. We’ll arrange to send you a replacement as soon as the bags are ready.

Gee. Fallout 76, the game so shit it made a game company actually fulfill its promises after the fact to get some goodwill back.

(Also please buy a power armour edition and we will give you a Canvas Bag!)

(Also don't sick the FTC on us)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:24:39 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: December 03, 2018, 06:32:22 PM

When I saw that canvas bag news later in the day, I assumed it was to try and hide the other news from this morning:

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: December 05, 2018, 07:36:07 AM

When I saw that canvas bag news later in the day, I assumed it was to try and hide the other news from this morning:

Kicking for being AFK is part of most online games so I don't see the issue here? This feels like people just trying hard to find anything they can to bitch about.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: December 06, 2018, 05:10:55 AM

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/12/05/a-fallout-76-support-glitch-leaked-players-personal-information-for-all-the-world-to-see/#25238cd678d6

In what may very well be the most bizarre and unsettling twist in the ongoing saga that is Fallout 76, players reported Wednesday that they inadvertently gained access to the support tickets of fellow Fallout 76 players.

What a bunch of clowns.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: December 06, 2018, 07:00:27 AM

After Witcher 3 it became obvious to me that Bethesda has pretty much hit the bottom of the well and their formula is a dead end.  Once you have something like that to measure it against, Bethesda games look really fucking stale.
schild
Administrator

Reply #331 on: December 06, 2018, 09:03:46 AM

Witcher and Bethesda games aren't even from the same planet. They're doing completely different things.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: December 06, 2018, 09:33:51 AM

Winning and sucking sure
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: December 06, 2018, 10:23:43 AM

Witcher and Bethesda games aren't even from the same planet. They're doing completely different things.

Witcher is more tightly scripted, but they're still open world games.  You need to have the illusion of your actions affecting the world, and Bethesda fails miserably at that.  Case in point, if I'm the grand high muckity muck of the mages guild, head of the thieves guild, head of the dark brotherhood, and also the one and only messianic dragonborn, does that go remarked upon at all when I join the fighters guild?  Nope, you're basically the anonymous fuck stick who needs to go light the forge for old werewolf man.

Hiring decent writers would be a start.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: December 06, 2018, 10:29:57 AM

This game is right behind Star Citizen in my 'most entertaining games I never paid for' list.  Watching Bethesda lurch from fuckup to even worse fuckup has been quite a ride.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: December 06, 2018, 10:42:41 AM

I did my best but never managed to enjoy the combat mechanics in any of the Witcher games including Witcher 3. Give me a Bethesda game any day.
schild
Administrator

Reply #336 on: December 06, 2018, 10:47:37 AM

I did my best but never managed to enjoy the combat mechanics in any of the Witcher games including Witcher 3. Give me a Bethesda game any day.
I paid $50 to not even get past the tutorial in Witcher 3. I just couldn't do it.

Witcher is more tightly scripted, but they're still open world games.  You need to have the illusion of your actions affecting the world, and Bethesda fails miserably at that.  Case in point, if I'm the grand high muckity muck of the mages guild, head of the thieves guild, head of the dark brotherhood, and also the one and only messianic dragonborn, does that go remarked upon at all when I join the fighters guild?  Nope, you're basically the anonymous fuck stick who needs to go light the forge for old werewolf man.

Hiring decent writers would be a start.
I just want to poke around shit and get stuff out of toilets or boxes. Bethesda is better at that. I don't remember saying anything about writing. I couldn't give a shit less about writing in open world games that aren't called Deus Ex.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: December 06, 2018, 11:40:13 AM

Skyrim is one of my favorite games of all time, and I also could not finish the tutorial in Witcher 3. I also have no interest in FO76, developed by Bethesda Austin or whoever the fuck; I will certainly play the hell out of the next TES game as well as whatever space thing they showed at E3.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: December 06, 2018, 01:21:05 PM

Bethesda peaked with Daggerfall.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #339 on: December 06, 2018, 01:39:36 PM

My girlfriends 11 year old son had been talking about Fallout 76 for a good portion of the year.  For him it was the 2nd coming, Christmas, a light saber and a land cruiser all rolled into one event.  He pre-ordered.  We even made a "FALLOUT 76 MOM" bumper sticker at Café Press.  It was pretty much all he wanted to talk about.

Fast Forward:

Tuesday 12/4/2018 I leave work a bit early and pick him up from school and take him to his mom/my girlfriend's house:

Me: So how is Fallout 76 going?!?
Him: uhmmm not really playing it
Me: really???
Him: Have you heard of Warframe?  it is a really cool game!
Me: I had a Mag Prime that I played several years ago then they nurfed it into oblivion and I haven't played since.  So no Fallout 76?
Him: nah......  
Me:      Ohhhhh, I see.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #340 on: December 06, 2018, 01:39:55 PM

Bethesda peaked with Daggerfall.

There he is.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: December 06, 2018, 07:26:43 PM

awesome, for real
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: December 12, 2018, 10:02:09 AM

47% @ GMG with voucher VAULT76

ACK!
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: December 12, 2018, 07:37:14 PM

My gaming trio made a pact to try it if it goes below $20.

It seemed like a pretty safe bet for NEXT Christmas at the time  ACK!

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: December 12, 2018, 08:25:25 PM

After Witcher 3 it became obvious to me that Bethesda has pretty much hit the bottom of the well and their formula is a dead end.  Once you have something like that to measure it against, Bethesda games look really fucking stale.

I enjoy Bethesda games but what I really, really enjoy is the modding community. They breath new life into those games. The second Bethesda makes all mods go through their shitty launcher I'll probably be done with them and left with Obsidian and CD Project Red as my only hopes for Western RPGs.

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: December 13, 2018, 10:49:48 AM

Someone digging around in the code found evidence that lootboxes appear to be coming soon.  Emphasis on 'appear'.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/a5l9f7/lunchboxs_appearing_in_fallout_76_esm_files_no/

Key points of evidence include:
  • a global announce function (to let the whole server know about your cool purchase!)
  • new animations (to celebrate a box opening)
  • deeply useful items like buffs to damage. carry weight, XP gain in Lunchboxes
  • Bonus code -- perk card packs MAY be moving to the cash shop.

Soooooooo ... yeah.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: December 13, 2018, 11:16:23 AM

Clearly the positive feel good news this game needs right now.

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #347 on: December 19, 2018, 03:23:36 AM

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: December 23, 2018, 12:36:54 PM

Apparently Bethesda is banning people using mods. Which, since it's an online game with PvP, of course they are. That's an absolutely common-sense, completely understandable decision by Bethesda, designed to improve gameplay and prevent rampant cheating.

So, of course, players are furious.

But they're reassuring themselves that they'll get mod support "eventually". Sure they will. Curated through the Creation Club, paid for in the Atom shop. Not the "do whatever the heck you feel like" mods some of them seem to be expecting.
schild
Administrator

Reply #349 on: December 23, 2018, 12:50:08 PM

I don't know whether to put Blizzard or Bethesda at the top of my AAA death pool.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76  
Jump to: